TheManaDrain.com
April 19, 2019, 05:21:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Survival of the Fittest - still good enough in Type 4?  (Read 745 times)
JACO
Full Members
Basic User

Don't be a meatball.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 06, 2016, 01:12:31 pm »

Survival of the Fittest used to be fantastic in Type 4, and slightly incentivize people to draft a couple more creatures than they normally might, and also could fetch up your best creatures. With the power level and opportunity cost growing with each passing set, has Survival's time come and gone? It routinely is one of the last cards picked in our Rochester piles.

Discuss.

Want to write about Vintage, Legacy, Modern, Type 4, or Commander/EDH? Eternal Central is looking for writers! Contact me. Follow me on Twitter @JMJACO. Follow Eternal Central on Twitter @EternalCentral.
CHA1N5
Full Members
Basic User

bluh

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 11:52:56 am »

Seems to be entirely dependent on one's stack.  Does your stack still facilitate a combo kill with Survival?  I assume most powerful stacks do.

Also, specific to Rochester, it has a lot to do with the card's timing in the draft.  Early on, you can build around it.  Later, it's not necessarily good for a median deck.

I love to draft T4 in booster and Rochester, and I love how different cards thrive in one format or the other.  Build-around cards have their variance amplified in Rochester.

Workshop, Mox, Smokestack
Tangle Wire spells your Doom
Counter, Sac, Tap, Fade

@KevinCron on Twitter :: Host of the So Many Insane Plays podcast.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 11:44:15 am »

Pretty sure it's been removed from our stack. We rarely draft, but even if you do, it still takes your spell for the turn and requires you to have more than 1 creature to discard to be arguably more efficient than Eladamri's Call.
Oftentimes you either have nothing you want to discard or what you want to get is no longer in your library and it risks doing not much.
Twiedel
2012 Vintage World Champion
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 06:14:37 am »

I'm extremely biased, but the card was always good enough and a very high pick in Rochester - except of course if it came in a late booster.

A lot of Combos, way to fuel your graveyard, and insane utility with a lot of flash creatures being in my stack...

AND, I just love the card Smile
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: