TheManaDrain.com
February 20, 2019, 02:20:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • MTGO Power 9 Challenge: January 30, 2016
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MTGO Power Nine Challenge - Saturday, January 30th  (Read 3009 times)
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« on: January 07, 2016, 03:40:47 am »

Event confirmed via twitter to me.  

11AM Pacific Time on MTGO

Prizes:

1st Place: Vintage Masters Black Lotus, Vintage Masters Timetwister, complete premium Battle for Zendikar set, complete non-premium Battle for Zendikar set, 500 Play Points, 6 Qualifier Points
    2nd Place: Vintage Masters Ancestral Recall, complete non-premium Battle for Zendikar set, 500 Play Points, 5 Qualifier Points
    3rd Place: Vintage Masters Mox Sapphire, Tempest Wasteland, 300 Play Points, 4 Qualifier Points
    4th Place: Vintage Masters Mox Ruby, Vintage Masters Force of Will, 300 Play Points, 4 Qualifier Points
    5th Place: Vintage Masters Mox Jet, 250 Play Points, 3 Qualifier Points
    6th Place: Vintage Masters Mox Pearl, 250 Play Points, 3 Qualifier Points
    7th Place: Vintage Masters Mox Emerald, 250 Play Points, 3 Qualifier Points
    8th Place: Vintage Masters Time Walk, 250 Play Points, 3 Qualifier Points
    9th-32nd place: 250 Play Points

tito del monte
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 07:06:20 am »

Sweet! After two months with slightly fewer players due to the holidays and what-not, it would be great if people could make an effort for this one to push us back up over the hundred mark - given the fickle nature of MTGO's events offering, I think it's pretty important to show that no-one is taking these tournaments for granted.

So, let's not be complacent and sling some Power to usher in 2016. Look forward to it! Smile

Leoj
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 08:13:28 am »

Looking forward to it! Hoping I perform a little better this go around...finishing 33rd was soulcrushing.
Ahab1248
Basic User

Ahab1248
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 01:39:28 pm »

How certain is this twitter confirmation? I failed to find anything on the mothership to confirm this event is on, so I came over to here to see if there was any news on it. If it does happen I will continue to support these.

Yawgmoth's Will....
I think I win
Leoj
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 03:56:12 pm »

This is actually a good question. It's not listed on the most recent MTGO Announcement article:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online/magic-online-announcements-january-12-2016
Ahab1248
Basic User

Ahab1248
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 04:05:41 pm »

This is actually a good question. It's not listed on the most recent MTGO Announcement article:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online/magic-online-announcements-january-12-2016

That article is what got me searching the mothership, and I couldn't find any mention of vintage other than the daily events.

Yawgmoth's Will....
I think I win
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 04:46:46 pm »

https://twitter.com/mtg_lee/status/679546686318874624

Thiim
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 08:55:45 am »

Looking forward to this event, after finishing 17'th in the last one and 33'th in the one before it, i'm really hoping to make a comeback to the top or close to it atleast. interesting how the meta is going to look this time.
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 11:06:08 pm »

Force of Will with Sphere effects does not work correctly

While in the finals of the Wednesday Vintage Daily, I noticed that Force of Will was bugged and that I incorrectly lost two life in casting it. I suspected the issue was related to how costs were being paid with my opponent's Thorn of Amethyst in play. I re-challenged my opponent and we were able to replicate the situation: the client subtracts a life point when the spell is announced, prompts for the sphere effect, subtracts another life, and then requires you to pitch a blue card. Step-by-step screenshots are included below.

It was tilting that this happened in the finals of another event, but my greatest concern is that this does not get fixed in time for the Power 9 Vintage event. Force of Will is the most commonly played card in Vintage at this moment and Shops the most commonly played archetype. I hope that you are able to employ a fix in time for the Power 9.

My Bug Report that I filed tonight Sad

"Why are we making bad decks? I mean, honestly, what is our reason for doing this?"

"Is this a Vintage deck or a Cube deck?" "Is it sad that you have to ask?"

"Is that a draft deck?" "Why do people keep asking that?"

Random conversations...
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 01:45:11 pm »

And thankfully they fixed this: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-online-bug-blog-january-28-2016

Spells with alternative casting costs requiring extra life to be paid now work as expected when the spell's cost is increased.

"Why are we making bad decks? I mean, honestly, what is our reason for doing this?"

Random conversations...
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 06:48:47 pm »

hopefully the new bugs get fixed.  They issued an emergency patch yesterday.

Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 06:51:51 pm »

hopefully the new bugs get fixed.  They issued an emergency patch yesterday.

And broke Grafdigger's Cage and Containment Priest  Sad

I hope so too. I missed the December one due to holiday obligations.

Random conversations...
wappla
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 12:49:13 pm »

and somehow Priest still exiles Jace, Vryn's Prodigy...
TheBrassMan
Administrator
Basic User

AndyProbasco
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 01:26:38 pm »

For anyone who's planning on playing in this, WotC has released a statement that the Grafdigger's Cage/Containment Priest bug has been fixed - I haven't confirmed in-client, but I have no reason not to believe them. Everyone who made a last minute switch to Oath can safely reconsider now Very Happy

Good luck everyone!

Team GGs:  "Be careful what you flash barato, sooner or later we'll bannano"
"Demonic Tutor: it takes you to the Strip Mine Cow."
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 01:50:27 pm »

Yep. Good luck, guys!

Random conversations...
matori
Basic User

McLovin

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 02:25:46 pm »

Well this is really annoying. I am not able to sideboard at all, client is showing 5 same cards in my deck and I cannot submit it after side boarding. No matter what change I make I am able to play just with main deck. I submitted reimbursement ticket but this is not relay about 250 Play Points. I am so frustrated now.
Islandswamp
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

MTGGoldfish Writer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 03:05:10 pm »

Well this is really annoying. I am not able to sideboard at all, client is showing 5 same cards in my deck and I cannot submit it after side boarding. No matter what change I make I am able to play just with main deck. I submitted reimbursement ticket but this is not relay about 250 Play Points. I am so frustrated now.

That's really awful. I think you and I have similar situations where it can be hard to get free time to play in events, and getting your money back doesn't cover the wasted time. Very sorry to hear that. Maybe if you're still free later you can play me in the league match and win that Smile .

Check out my articles @ www.mtggoldfish.com  www.puremtgo.com Follow me on Twitter: @josephfiorinijr - Watch me make EPIC PUNTS on Twitch.TV @ http://www.twitch.tv/josephfiorini06

Just like a car crash,
Just like a knife.
My favorite weapon
is the look in your eyes.
You've run out of lies...
matori
Basic User

McLovin

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 03:50:13 am »

I didn't received feedback from WoTC yet about issue.
However I managed to go 4-3 and at least to cash finishing within Top32.
I played Pitch Dredge with transnational sideboard and not having ability to make proper siding really made tournament miserable for me.
Even with this drawback I had a chance to go 5-2 but I missed my opportunity to Mental Misstep Mystical Tutor into Tinker.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 04:00:32 am by matori » Logged
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 11:59:38 am »

I played a similar deck, Matori. I started out 3-0, but then lost 3 straight and dropped because I thought I was out of it at that point. I lost to Brassman first in a very close match. Then I was surprised to lose two matches to DPS, since I've been heavily favored in the matchup; one guy caught me off guard with Blightsteel.  Im still 15-5 in tournament play with the deck, and I'm relieved to have finally witness the deck lose so I don't have to worry about Bazaar getting restricted.

R1-Grixis- 2-1 (win)
R2-DPS- 2-0 (win)
R3-BUG Gushbond- 2-0 (win)
R4- Painter- 1-2 (loss)
R5 - DPS- 0-2 (loss)
R6 - DPS- 0-2 (loss/drop)

One thing I learned from this tournament is that the Depths transformation is not stellar vs. broken hands, even with Leyline of Sanctity.  Although, most of my games have so far suggested otherwise

Join the Vintage League!
Princess_Power
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 01:29:22 pm »

The decklsits for the top16 are up. There were:

Results:

4 Dredge Decks
Two decks had Sun titan+1/2 Fatesticher+flame Kin, 1 Just had Flame Kin, 1 had Dragonlord Kolaghan

3 Mentor Decks:
UWR Tokens, Miracles(3 SDT 3 Terminus 2 counterblance), Semi-Miracles (only 3 SDT 2 counterbalance 1 Terminus)

3 Shops Decks
Aggro (no Ravager), Ravager , Ensarning Brdige/Smokestacks

2 Dark Petition Storm (standard build)

1 "Odd Oath" (Targets are Void Winnower+Inferno Titan+Grisselbrand)

1 BUG Control (wins with Vault+Key, tinker Bot and 1 Jace)

1 Painter Servent

1 Tezzerator

=== analysis

Four Dredge decks in the top16 is quite alot of Dredge. Grafdigger's Cage was bugged until the morning of the event so maybe more Dredge players came out. Or maybe this was just a good day for Dredge. There were no Delver of Secrets in the top16 but that is maybe not shocking (though I would have expected 0-1). Also there were only two Young Pyromancer in the top16. Otherwise I think the top16 was pretty normal. besides dredge there were hree shops, two storms and a variety of different blue decks.

Though obviously its one event so there is alot of variance.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 02:17:29 pm by Princess_Power » Logged

Power 9 Challenge 4 Winner
matori
Basic User

McLovin

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 03:39:18 pm »

@desolutionist

Check 9th place list Smile
I bet he has good explanation for 2/2 cut of probe/trap Wink
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 05:19:14 pm by matori » Logged
GrimLavamancerBeats
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 04:39:20 pm »

Sweet, Im glad to see painter's servant in there. That's a whole lot of dredge too.
CHA1N5
Full Members
Basic User

bluh

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 04:39:20 pm »

Is there any resource for confirming the swiss points/records for the T16 (or beyond).  I'd like to know just how 9th compares to 16th.

Workshop, Mox, Smokestack
Tangle Wire spells your Doom
Counter, Sac, Tap, Fade

@KevinCron on Twitter :: Host of the So Many Insane Plays podcast.
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 07:58:24 pm »

Is there any resource for confirming the swiss points/records for the T16 (or beyond).  I'd like to know just how 9th compares to 16th.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/vintage-premier-2016-01-31

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Random conversations...
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 07:58:15 pm »

February had another successful turnout with 84 players. 

diophan
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016, 08:20:11 pm »

Pretty good turnout considering all the other Magic tournaments today. Thanks to all who played!
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2016, 11:01:02 pm »

Metagame breakdown:

http://www.archive.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=48430.msg671507#msg671507

Random conversations...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: