TheManaDrain.com
April 25, 2019, 05:26:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [OGW] Natural State  (Read 2153 times)
Protoaddict
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2016, 11:58:40 am »

So I think natures claim is going to be better in most cases still because of its ability to hit golem and Leyline, but are there decks where removing the lifegain is relevant enough that you are willing to be able to hit fewer targets with this? I cant help but feel like this sits in a strange place between Claim and Abrupt decay where you really want one or the other, not something that is sorta both.

This is my podcast:

Http://www.fantasticneighborhood.com
Comedy gaming podcast. Listening to it makes you cool.
Ten-Ten
Basic User

Shalom Aleichem

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 12:03:38 pm »

I like this for edh and cube. This is strictly worse than claim and decay. If it were to exile, then that would be a different story.

Colossians 2:2,3
 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, both of the Father, and of Christ; In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
dangerlinto
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 12:12:34 pm »

Hell Claim's "give the controller 4 life" has been known from time-to-time to be useful saving your own hide.  It's really no drawback at all and I can't see anyone ever playing this over it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 12:29:42 pm by dangerlinto » Logged
Protoaddict
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 12:38:46 pm »

I have lost matches in Dredge before because of having to natures claim twice in a match and then not having enough damage to win. If Leyline of the Void was not a card I think this would actually wind up being the go to card of choice for that list, but Leyline is a card so its a no go. I am apprehensive about it seeing play in total, but the effect is vintage relevant as is the cost, i just think natures claim will typically be better but there are certainly situations.

This is my podcast:

Http://www.fantasticneighborhood.com
Comedy gaming podcast. Listening to it makes you cool.
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 12:47:48 pm »

I have lost matches in Dredge before because of having to natures claim twice in a match and then not having enough damage to win. If Leyline of the Void was not a card I think this would actually wind up being the go to card of choice for that list, but Leyline is a card so its a no go. I am apprehensive about it seeing play in total, but the effect is vintage relevant as is the cost, i just think natures claim will typically be better but there are certainly situations.

Most Dredge lists aren't even playing Nature's Claim anymore. That tells you about this card.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Winter Grudge Match lV Top 4

Creator of The Mana Drain Vintage League.

Website for The League:

http://tmdvl.github.io

Zombies ate your brains!
Khahan
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 02:33:17 pm »

Most Dredge lists aren't even playing Nature's Claim anymore. That tells you about this card.

You should talk to the people playing dredge against me. Seems to be a staple still.

Team - One Man Show.   yes, the name is ironic.
Montolio
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 02:33:34 pm »

Nature's claim > Natural State on all fronts

I've sparred with Demon's from the Nine Hells I say. I shall barely break a sweat here today!
Twitter handle @TheALPHA7
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 02:37:28 pm »

You should talk to the people playing dredge against me. Seems to be a staple still.

You are lucky that your Missteps still do something. Serenity is the new card to use.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Winter Grudge Match lV Top 4

Creator of The Mana Drain Vintage League.

Website for The League:

http://tmdvl.github.io

Zombies ate your brains!
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 07:26:13 pm »

Card has a role as Claims 5-6 in random decks that want it (Steel City? Belcher?). It's also probably better than Claim in URg Delver decks for the reason Path to Exile is generally better than Swords to Plowshares - the 4 life matters when you are trying to race with Delver and Elemental tokens. Not hitting Lodestone Golem is one of the biggest whiffs, but it does hit Oath of Druids and Sphere effects, arguably two of the most annoying cards against Delver, and you do have Dack, Grudge, Bolts, Tokens, and flipped Delvers.

I am wondering who decided on 3cc being the magic cutoff for these things. Inquisition of Kozilek, Smother, Decay, Austere Command, etc...

"Why are we making bad decks? I mean, honestly, what is our reason for doing this?"

"Is this a Vintage deck or a Cube deck?" "Is it sad that you have to ask?"

"Is that a draft deck?" "Why do people keep asking that?"

Random conversations...
Saya
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 11:23:55 pm »

Lodestone Golem
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 12:26:55 am »

I am wondering who decided on 3cc being the magic cutoff for these things. Inquisition of Kozilek, Smother, Decay, Austere Command, etc...

There are quite a few cards what use 2cc or less also, like Isochron, Threads of Disloyalty, Izzet Guildmage, Ojutai's Command. Same thing for 4cc.

On a related note, I just noticed Inquisition of Kozilek is worth $20 now...
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 08:14:23 am »

There are quite a few cards what use 2cc or less also, like Isochron, Threads of Disloyalty, Izzet Guildmage, Ojutai's Command. Same thing for 4cc.

On a related note, I just noticed Inquisition of Kozilek is worth $20 now...

And foils $200 plus. Must be Modern season...

"Why are we making bad decks? I mean, honestly, what is our reason for doing this?"

"Is this a Vintage deck or a Cube deck?" "Is it sad that you have to ask?"

"Is that a draft deck?" "Why do people keep asking that?"

Random conversations...
nedleeds
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 11:34:08 am »

Is the "Can't be countered by Blue spells or abilities" obfuscated for the preview?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: