TheManaDrain.com
April 20, 2019, 07:47:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SCD] Flash of Insight  (Read 1430 times)
Ten-Ten
Basic User

Shalom Aleichem

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2016, 08:00:50 pm »

Flash of Insight

I know this isn't a new card but I have looked through the forums in search of discussion for this card, at least on vintage, and I found nothing. I do remember Smennen running a single copy in KingJames Oath back then. Now with Dig Through Time restricted, and people aware of its usefulness, can we find room for a flash of insight in Oath or any of the current blue decks running Dack/Jace,VP?
I like that it dodges duress effects, unlike DTT. I hate that it doesn't get around spheres. Thoughts?

Fyi: My current evaluation is based solely on its flashback cost.

Colossians 2:2,3
 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, both of the Father, and of Christ; In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 08:47:18 pm »

This was a fringe card back when cards like Accumulated Knowledge were Vintage all-stars.  Clearly now its outclassed even more.

Join the Vintage League!
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 09:11:46 pm »

Yup, even with only the flashback cost taken into account, you would never get more than 4 cards out of it, making it an Impulse at best. With the Delve cards and the graveyard hate, it's going to be much worse than Impulse most of the time.

Even in Oath, I'd say Deep Analysis is better than this.
Ten-Ten
Basic User

Shalom Aleichem

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 10:56:23 pm »

In oath this is better than deep analysis, is it not? Since FoI prevents you from drawing an oath target. I do admit, the reason I even considered Flash of Insight was because I thought I would dig deeper than Dig through Time when flashing it back.
I was running a split of FoI and DTT in an Bomberman Oath list similar to the Vintage Champ's.
 I realized FoI isn't one of the best but I wondered if maybe someone had tried it and figured something I hadn't.
I will keep testing a single copy alongside Dig Through Time, for the time being. I might just make it Dack #3, Portent or a single Impulse in the end.
I do appreciate further comments and ideas Smile

That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, both of the Father, and of Christ; In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
GrandpaBelcher
Adepts
Basic User

1000% Serious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 08:59:02 am »

I played 1x Flash of Insight semi-recently in Tidespout Tyrant Oath. It's useful there for many of the reasons you state and because any flashback spells you Oath are like cards drawn to play with Tidespout in play. Tidespout is (probably) completely outclassed by Griselbrand, but it's a different direction to take the deck. I especially liked playing it when Dig Through Time was unrestricted, since Dig could help find the second Mox to go off and because playing Digs with infinite mana was pretty fun. The list below is from before Dig's printing.

I haven't played Flash of Insight in a non-Tidespout Oath deck, but it's a great card after Oath (like a second DT) and isn't completely dead before.

Noxious Tyrant Oath
4 Oath of Druids
4 Force of Will
2 Tidespout Tyrant
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mana Crypt
4 Preordain
1 Flash of Insight
1 Time Walk
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Brainfreeze
1 Lotus Petal
1 Fastbond
2 Mental Misstep
1 Brainstorm
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Steel Sabotage
2 Spell Pierce
1 Voltaic Key
1 Time Vault
4 Gush
1 Yawgmoth's Will
2 Noxious Revival
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Black Lotus
4 Forbidden Orchard
4 Misty Rainforest
3 Tropical Island
2 Underground Sea
1 Polluted Delta
1 Island

Sideboard
1 Laboratory Maniac
1 Forest
3 Nature's Claim
1 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Echoing Truth
2 Flusterstorm
1 Surgical Extraction
1 Ravenous Trap
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Nihil Spellbomb

Cast Force of Love and help support the Serious Vintage podcast and streaming!
https://teespring.com/seriousvintage
Ten-Ten
Basic User

Shalom Aleichem

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 12:15:35 am »

I remember tyrant Oath. Got my butt handed to me every time back then. I was actually thinking of tinkering with an old list ran by white dragon which is why I mentioned portent but I can't find the list. Thank you for the noxious tyrant list Smile I am actually making it 2 flash of insight and 1 dig through time. And cut the black tutors and maybe time vault combo as well. Dunno yet. One change at a time.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: