TheManaDrain.com
August 20, 2019, 03:52:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Your Current Vintage Deck Proxy Free?
Yes - 85 (62.5%)
No - 51 (37.5%)
Total Voters: 135

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Your Current Vintage Deck Proxy Free?  (Read 7302 times)
p3temangus
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2016, 08:22:30 am »

Although there was a time in my life where I was Proxy Free I now have to proxy any P9 in my current deck but I do own all the duals and other cards to put together basically any blue deck I want. 

cycle  -> slide eternal witness-> rift your face->return cycle land with witness -> lather rinse repeat
H
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2016, 08:24:09 am »

The vintage deck I have tried to make is a grixis delver deck with cabal therapy. I have so many proxies in it that I couldn't even go to most proxy vintage tournaments. I've been trying to get more real cards to get inside the limit, but so far I'm missing quite a bit.

That's not the deck I would prefer to play, but I'd rather have that than nothing at all.

The closest vintage events are several hours away at least so I don't worry about it too much. I had been trying to drum up interest in a total proxy event in my town but I don't know if the store owner would allow us to play anymore.

I guess it depends on your store's level of tin-foil hattery, but if you collect the entry and pay out to the winner, essentially not involving the store at all, then it's no different than casual play, something the store is at no obligation to police.

Once upon a time, 3 years ago, when I moved down here, we had 6 people that could play sanctioned.  Now, it's just me.  My buying splurges of 2007 and 2010 look better and better in retrospect, even though it was still stupid not to get Beta stuff.  On the one hand, it feels dumb to be hanging on to all sorts of non-sense I never play, like 4 Workshops I'll never use, or Imperial Seal that I think I ran in a tournament once, but I guess my kids can inherit something of worth if the market doesn't crash...

"The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
—Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order
nedleeds
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2016, 08:49:17 am »

I own everything, no white border cards that aren't P3K. I hate proxies and looking at poorly made ones irritates me as I enjoy the aesthetics of a nice looking vintage deck. That being said I wish they'd abolish the reserved list and judiciously reprint cards off it (the foil loophole closing was really a shame). I also wish they'd allow IE/CE/Gold cards, that are unmarked.
p3temangus
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2016, 09:45:34 am »

I own everything, no white border cards that aren't P3K. I hate proxies and looking at poorly made ones irritates me as I enjoy the aesthetics of a nice looking vintage deck. That being said I wish they'd abolish the reserved list and judiciously reprint cards off it (the foil loophole closing was really a shame). I also wish they'd allow IE/CE/Gold cards, that are unmarked.

I am actually curious about wizards stance on the blank gold border cards they put in every Worlds deck that they used to sell.  They literally provided us the means to make our own proxy's, unless I am completely missing the point of these cards.

cycle  -> slide eternal witness-> rift your face->return cycle land with witness -> lather rinse repeat
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2016, 09:50:35 am »

I own MUD and Dredge, two decks that are Tier 1, are fun to play, and overpowered.  I've sold off my Time Walk and FBB Duals becuase I don't like playing Blue decks. 
H
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2016, 10:01:01 am »

I am actually curious about wizards stance on the blank gold border cards they put in every Worlds deck that they used to sell.  They literally provided us the means to make our own proxy's, unless I am completely missing the point of these cards.

As if their policies from 10 years ago, 10 months ago, or 10 minutes ago are consistent?

Just like their stated policies from one "spokesperson" to another is consistent?

"The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
—Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order
gribdogs
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2016, 10:50:14 am »

I voted no.  I have all the cards I need other than P9.  My P9 is CE.  Although currently I don't own a Time Vault, I plan to buy one before the next tournament I enter.  Also, I am in the Ohio region, so I have played with the Serious guys.  Great group!
mtgnj421
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2016, 10:52:48 am »

I voted yet, in the process of buying my lotus now and I have everything else but a twister and workshops. I had a entire set of duals but sold a bunch to fund the lotus.
Killane
Full Members
Basic User

I am become Death, the destroyer of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2016, 11:23:55 am »

I voted no. I own very few real magic cards anymore unfortunately. A family member with some serious medical issues nearly lost their house two years ago, and it felt too cold-hearted to sit on five-figures of cardboard while they got kicked to the curb, so my cards saved their house. 100% worth it.

DCI Rules Advisor
_____________________________ _____
Are you playing The Game?
TakeYourTime
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2016, 12:09:17 pm »

My deck is proxy free, but I ran proxies for about one year when I first got into Vintage. Without proxies I would not have started playing in the format.

Allan Tran
L0cke17
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2016, 12:25:38 pm »

If I could not play in tournaments with proxies I would probably just not play vintage. A huge allure of the format to me is to play with the most powerful cards, and I would probably just go back to legacy if I couldn't play with it until I could afford to buy real power.
thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2016, 12:39:58 pm »

I can build a proxy-free deck but being proxy free drastically limits the number of decks I can build. I've currently got Myth Realized landstill built which has 5 proxies simply because they're cards I've never needed otherwise.

Instead of tearing things down we should calmly explain our opinions.
TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2016, 12:49:20 pm »

I have everything i want, sans blue - which is fine since I hate blue anyway.  I sold off my lotus (again), but have ruby, jet, emerald, pearl, every non-blue dual, etc. I don't have 4 bazaar or 4 workshop. So outside of the 3 decks that compose 99% of vintage, I have all the power cards. Luckily netdecking blows and I can run 0 proxy for every deck I build (except shops-depths, which requires proxying 4 shops).

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
Bakalias
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2016, 01:08:43 pm »

Proxy free on my side, and bringing proxy free decks for two people each time we launch a tournament as I'm able to build Shops, Dredge and a blue deck at the same time.
In Paris, we got the habit to lend as much cards as possible when needed.
Hrishi
Basic User

hrishikesh29@gmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2016, 01:28:59 pm »

My deck is proxy free, but I ran proxies for about one year when I first got into Vintage. Without proxies I would not have started playing in the format.

I had basically the same experience. It is proxy free now but I'd never have invested into it in the first place if I wasn't able to learn and enjoy it before that!

Lyna turned to the figure beside her. "They're gone. What now?"
"As ever," said Urza, "we wait."
nedleeds
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2016, 03:55:33 pm »

So outside of the 3 decks that compose 99% of vintage, I have all the power cards.

LOL but no Lotus? Get off the soapbox.
lizardking1545
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2016, 04:28:30 pm »

Proxy free.
 I own a playset of all the power, duals, fetches, workshops, and bazaars.  Basically if it's played in Vintage I have at least four of it.  I hate to take decks apart, unless they are terrible,  and move cards around between ideas so it was just easier to have extras.     
Jostin123
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2016, 04:58:05 pm »

I voted yes, because I can play shops completely proxy free.  I have almost 2 playsets of moxes, but am missing an Ancestral and Time Walk, due to them having my deck stolen at Neutral Ground in 2006 (I was trying to finish out my power at that time and was just missing lotus, sapphire and twister.

I usually play workshops and have been doing really well with storm, but if we had a sanctioned tournament tomorrow, I could only play powered shops or dredge
GalacticHitchHiker
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2016, 06:50:09 pm »

I can field a proxy free deck, Bant Mentor, but not the ones I've been testing lately. I'm still missing an Oath for that deck, and some odds and ends for Storm. This is what happens when you try to acquire a deck through Pucatrade.
marilyn_manson
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2016, 09:20:26 pm »

I voted yes. But it doesn't matter if I have no one to play with (most of my friends have to use proxy). And no proxy means I can't play blue or any decks with tabernacles.
Templar
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2016, 08:23:02 am »

Not only is it proxy-free, it is all black-bordered.  It's so bad; in one deck I was toying with I was considering Defense Grid in the board, but could only play two since my third one was white-bordered.  Razz
youhavenogame
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2016, 08:36:14 am »

Proxy free, but I think that is just the standard in Europe. I'm sure there are proxy events here, but they must be few and in between.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: