TheManaDrain.com
August 18, 2019, 07:30:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: TheManaDrain.com - New Direction?  (Read 9437 times)
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2016, 05:39:15 pm »

@Chubby/Khahan/Peach: It seems too often that we end up with: If you don't have results, its where are your results.  If you do have results, its your results are isolated to only you as a player.  Then they talk about how the deck looks, and never say anything about how it plays.  Some paraphrased recent paraphrased quotes I've gotten : "This looks bad you don't play Golgari Grave-Troll".  "This looks bad you only play 2 bridge from below".  Both of which had full paragraphs in my write up.  The quality of posts is extremely low at times, and honestly I can't remember the last time that I've received constructive feedback on this website that has improve my play or deck building.  That being said...

This is where I think its more up to the community than the admins to policy quantity.  The statements, "this looks bad because..." are pure opinion yet presented as fact which is what happens often when quality discussion decline.  Were they challenged? Were the reasons for 2 bridges explained by the OP or anybody else in the thread?

It does seem as if there are a handful of us that agree on one of the problems.  Are there enough of us to do something meaningful about it?

They were challenged, but when half the comments in every forum are of this quality, it really detracts from having any meaningful discussion.  It's hard to fix this though.  Moderation is not the answer as this makes people less likely to post in general.  Judging by all the activity on Facebook groups, there is definitely room to increase the activity and quality of posts in the drain.  For whatever reason it's currently not the case though.
Commandant
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2016, 05:55:23 pm »

Hint: it's partially the medium.

Quote from: David Ochoa
Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
Khahan
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2016, 09:22:27 pm »

Hint: it's partially the medium.

Great example of our discussion.  How is it the medium and do you  have any suggestions for the medium to address the problem?

Team - One Man Show.   yes, the name is ironic.
Commandant
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2016, 11:23:54 pm »

Great example of our discussion.  How is it the medium and do you  have any suggestions for the medium to address the problem?

Update the forum software, better functionality and GUI.
Push content creation in house; fund articles, videos, blogs, etc (condense as much as possible from sites like PureMTGO, MTGGoldFish, SCG, CFB).
Community build, organize VSL viewing parties using a VOIP like Discord or Mumble (example).
Leverage incidental access, open up that trading forum - create multiple reasons for visiting the site, content, discussion, trading/sales, etc. - This is a big reason why Facebook seems to work, people already access the site at a high interval for reasons unrelated to MTG.

Quote from: David Ochoa
Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
matori
Basic User

McLovin

View Profile Email
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2016, 04:35:54 am »

Rewake "TMD on MODO" theme (http://www.archive.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=41738.90).
(Re)Build strong clan, make a simple sticky list who-is-who on MODO, encourage online testing.
TheBrassMan
Administrator
Basic User

AndyProbasco
View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2016, 09:13:47 am »

This thread has been really encouraging guys. Lots of great ideas for technical features, but also making it cheat that we have a pretty good understanding of the community issues we're going to face if we want the site to be something people are excited to use on a regular basis.

As a quick update, the prototype site is functional, but there are one or two features I want to iron out before taking it public. I can respond more directly to specific ideas if you want, but I love the community-driven approach we've been converging towards here.

Team GGs:  "Be careful what you flash barato, sooner or later we'll bannano"
"Demonic Tutor: it takes you to the Strip Mine Cow."
Varal
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2016, 02:02:09 pm »

One of the best feature this forum has that isn't frequently seen is the warning when someone posts while you're answering. This could potentially be bad in a high volume forum.

Peach is right about the low discussion his reports bring. It might be because the pilots don't often use the forum but it seems weird that nobody cares that Slash Panther just won the event.
fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2016, 02:48:35 pm »

Sorry, I haven't been reading the discussion, so I don't know if this was already suggested, but the one thing I think we lack the most in the Vintage community is a reliable Top8 database. I know that depends a lot on people posting lists, but other sites get the deck names and archetypes all wrong, too often putting a lot of different decks under the same name. I think if we could reproduce here what Morphling.de did, having good a search engine (that could search by card or combination of cards and dates) it would be awesome.
TheBrassMan
Administrator
Basic User

AndyProbasco
View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2016, 04:50:45 pm »

wait wait wait .... Slash Panther won an event?

Team GGs:  "Be careful what you flash barato, sooner or later we'll bannano"
"Demonic Tutor: it takes you to the Strip Mine Cow."
fendog
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2016, 03:21:13 am »

wait wait wait .... Slash Panther won an event?

In a Ravager shops shell

http://www.archive.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=48440.0
PeAcH
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2016, 04:16:12 am »

The web I use for reference in terms of an incredible database is TC decks.

http://www.tcdecks.net/format.php?format=Vintage

I truly recommend using it. The Search engine is really powerful and the DB contains all the real life tournaments known of (even the smallest ones in USA and Europe):

http://www.tcdecks.net/search.php

Back on topic, I am of the opinion that everybody should focus on what they do best.

So for me TMD should be the one that brings fresh new content to the format, discussing about new techs, cards and ideas, providing testing results (either IRL or online via Cocka or MOL) and have tournament reports (either personal or from the tournament organizer). Deck lists are just a bonus. A consequence.

This is my forum ideal of where we should be going.

PS: And yes. Slash Panter won a 43 player tournament. Javier David is one of the top performers of the MUD archetype in LCV and always brings new and fresh approaches to the tables!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 06:17:27 am by PeAcH » Logged

"Your deed cannot be undone. You, however, can be."

@Peachmtg
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2016, 10:00:47 am »

PS: And yes. Slash Panter won a 43 player tournament. Javier David is one of the top performers of the MUD archetype in LCV and always brings new and fresh approaches to the tables!

I can promise you that the Forinos and I know who he is.  He has done some truly innovative things; I'm always interested in seeing what he's up to.

Mike Noble also won with Slash Panther, shortly after it was printed, in a very heavy Jace, the Mind Sculptor metagame.  It was a good call at the time.  Dark Confidant wasn't really around, Snapcaster Mage hadn't been printed yet; there were far fewer creatures in the environment.  Ryan Glackin top eight'd Champs with a Slash Panther list in 2011, when Hornung won.

"Iíll break my staff,
Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,
And deeper than did ever plummet sound
Iíll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero's Art Collection
fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2016, 11:39:03 am »

The web I use for reference in terms of an incredible database is TC decks.

http://www.tcdecks.net/format.php?format=Vintage

I use TCDecks and MTGTOP8, but a lot of results, like this Slash Panther one, are only available here and aren't posted anywhere else.
PeAcH
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2016, 05:04:54 am »

are only available here and aren't posted anywhere else.

Normally the LCV top16 is updated to TC decks on a monthly basis (if Roger Riera remembers to do so).

I think these events are all kept track of there.

I can promise you that the Forinos and I know who he is.

Glad to read that. And I mean it Smile

I guess you all high-performer Workshop tappers know each other from your secret Private MWS.deck-Discussion-Only Private Forums XDDDDD

"Your deed cannot be undone. You, however, can be."

@Peachmtg
Grand Inquisitor
Always the play, never the thing
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2016, 08:46:08 am »

cross posting due to high relevance, article on future of tmd:

http://mtgvintageadventures.blogspot.hk/2016/03/thoughts-on-change-of-ownership-of.html

There is not a single argument in your post. Just statements that have no meaning. - Guli

It's pretty awesome that I did that - Smmenen
shrewarmies
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2016, 05:20:43 am »

Thanks inquisitor. For some reason I had completely missed this thread and I am kicking myself because of it.

I would love to explore many of the ideas that have been touched on in this thread but as I am currently holidaying in Hong Kong and on my phone quotes are a little difficult to deal with.

The quality/quantity discussion is one very dear to me. I have been a member of many different forums from the lowest "S***tpoasting" style forums to forums where every post is moderated and edited. TMD has always been held in my mind as one of the best forums for quality posting.    I think this is something that we should foster within our small community, until the point where it hurts growth and things start to stagnate. Things stagnate for a number of reasons. Perceived elitism (whether imagined or not), forum organisation, and many other things come into play. Saying things like "Restricted forums don't work" (just an example) is not looking at the wider picture and culture around the site. Different forums have their own quirks and if we are trying to change the culture around here I think we should look at all our options for forum organisation.

One reason I my article mentioned WOTLabs is that the forum there has things like a "Quick question/Quick answer" thread where players can find out information without having to start up a whole new thread. I have found users get very tired of new threads asking very basic questions, especially if not in a newbie forum or they are repeated every so often. Even setting out from the beginning that different sections of the forums are held to different standards, can help people navigate the site. Proper management of the forum, including moderation, and strategic planning is what keeps a forum relevant. If things are set out in a clear and coherent manner, clear enough that new players can find WHERE to put their posts it makes life so much easier.

I don't think a Reddit style reputation system is of huge benefit. The do help with discerning good posters from bad when people post conflicting views. In my experience they also bring out the trolls who shitpoast just to farm negative reputation. I liked someones post earlier about only being able to upvote posts but it to not have a bearing on the account as a whole. Personally I think user groups is a good way to go. Perhaps not as strict as the old adept system but having known tournament winners be able to have that tag on their account, like a badge system might be a nod in that direction. If people know that to to get a certain tag you have to have done well  or that you are a prolific good poster or something it may help differentiate posts with conflicting views.  People with these titles etc could perhaps open their own threads in something similar to the old adept secction where people could ask them directly rather than ask TMD at large. Alternatively, that could be a part of being a TMD sponsored streamer or blog etc.

I would love to see TMD sponsored (not necessarily paid) streamers or articles to appear on the front page. This would direct traffic both ways and be mutually beneficial for both parties. Linking all Vintage content to TMD is a great idea but some people may not be into it. Certain sites may not have a use for the link or may not agree to TMD linking their stuff. This may cause trouble own the road but I would love if that were the case. If anyone remembers mananation.com used to have a "weekly roundup" style article which would link to the previous weeks articles and sort them by format. Perhaps having someone helm a TMD "official" blog could do something like that.

L0cke17
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2016, 04:34:42 pm »

I don't know a lot about twitch streaming, but my vague understanding is that if you have a channel (say a specially created TMD channel) that you can 'host' other peoples streams on there or something. It might be neat to have a schedule of regularly scheduled streams somewhere, but even cooler to have a list of streamers who stream vintage who all get hosted when they stream so you dont have to go see who all is streaming at any given point, just click over to the TMD stream to see a vintage stream if there is one currently running.
nedleeds
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2016, 05:54:29 pm »

twitch lets you issue temp keys to allow others to stream, but not administer your twitch.
jimmycolorado
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2016, 07:32:42 am »

twitch lets you issue temp keys to allow others to stream, but not administer your twitch.

There's a (non-mtg) channel called RetroGamingLiveTV where they have multiple streamers who "pass the baton" every couple of hours. I never really looked into how they do it, but the stream goes down for a few seconds, then pops back up with a completely different streamer playing a different game. It's pretty smooth haha, without the "so-and-so is hosting" thing, which means the chat stays constant.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: