TheManaDrain.com
October 19, 2019, 04:51:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Report] Show and Tell in Dresden, 3-2  (Read 1689 times)
Dozer
Shipmaster
Full Members
Basic User

Am I back?

102481564 dozerphone@googlemail.com DozerTMD
View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 13, 2005, 09:12:59 am »

Last monday, I attended a Legacy tournament in a city near mine. For those who care, the tournament was a casually run but DCI sanctioned tourney in the E10 in Dresden. The deck I wanted to try was Show and Tell, a version of which I have been "working" (rather thinking) on for a while. I took the list I'll show you below to a 3-2 finish, while making a couple of play errors that came from not enough practice with the deck.

I'll give a Q&D of the five rounds and present the deck list below. There was no predictable environment at all, so I expected a lot of randomness, Sligh and Affinity. I really didn't know if there'd be any "real" Legacy decks. As it turned out, stuff like High Tide or ATS didn't show up, and there were more than the usual share of suboptimal decks.

Round 1: Thomas, Affinity
I'm on the play and mulligan once. He gets me down to five in the first game with Disciple, Ornithopter and Plating and Shrapnel Blasts me out of the game as I'm at 5. I never got the combo, he was too fast. I side in 4 Null Rod, one of which makes a convenient appearence on my third turn. Nevertheless, he keeps laying artifacts, beating with Disciple. He REB's my Show and Tell with mana from a Glimmervoid, and I must say I didn't see it coming (my first big mistake on this day). I lose in short order to a lot of Frgmites. 0-1

Round 2: Knipsi, bad Sligh
I am on the play and my opening hand is Lotus Petal, Chrome Mox, Tropical Island, Fetchland, Mystical Tutor, Show and Tell, Darksteel Colossus. That is a first turn Colossus not nearly matched by his Slith Firewalker, and I tutor up Berserk in my second upkeep to kill him. 2nd turn kill, baby! I also win the second game, because he is using really suboptimal cards (e.g., no Bolts, no Lackeys). 1-1

Round 3: Torsten, Enchantress?
I'm on the play, and the only thing he does is play 3 land enchantments and a Telepathy in the whole game. He mulligans in the second game, beats a little with an Enchantress and falls to DSC + Berserk. 2-1

Round 4: Enrico, Sui with Nethervoid and a W-splash for Swords
I lose the first game on the draw because he puts on the pressure that Sui randomly brings on. I am able to misdirect a Sinkhole, but that was all I did. In the second game, after some beats, he is on 18 and I am on 7 when I drop Form of the Dragon off my Show and Tell. He plops Nether Void into play, and concedes. I win the third game with a Colossus after we both do six turns of draw-go. 3-1

Round 5: Tom, U/R Fish
In both games, I keep hands with only a land and a Petal as mana sources, and lose both games. Both hands were mulligans, but I didn't -- why, no idea. I could have won at least the second game, where I sac'ced a Petal to pay for a Daze which I should have Forced instead (to stay on the critical 3 mana). 3-2

The list I played was this:

Show and Tell v.1.1
Legacy
61 cards

//Blue (31)
4 Show and Tell
4 Force of Will
4 Counterspell
1 Misdirection
4 Mystical Tutor
2 Intuition
4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Brainstorm
2 Fact or Fiction (change: 1)
2 Echoing Truth

//Green (3)
3 Berserk

//Artifact (11)
4 Darksteel Colossus
4 Lotus Petal (change: 3)
3 Chrome Mox

-- Lands (16)
2 Ancient Tomb (change: 3)
2 Flooded Strand
3 Polluted Delta
4 Tropical Island
5 Island

-- Sideboard (15)
4 Null Rod
2 Blue Elemental Blast
1 Hydroblast
2 Powder Keg
2 Oxidize
2 Naturalize
2 Form of the Dragon

I sided out Fact or Fictions almost every game. They sit atop the curve, and are more of a back-up plan anyway. 61 cards is not good here (it's a combo deck, after all), but I badly wanted the fourth Petal. After the tournament, I made some minor but important changes:

- 1 Fact or Fiction
- 1 Lotus Petal
+ 1 Ancient Tomb

I also might replace the remaining Fact with another Intuition (so good). The Misdirection is good, and I'd like more - but so is Truth. I might go down to one Truth in favor of another Mis-D or - depending on the metagame - play 3 Truths instead of Mis-D altogether.

The sideboard needs some work. Whatever Works suggested on #TMD an untargetable beater for the ATS matchup, and he's right. The creature of choice is Kodama of the North Tree, of which I might play a full four SB since I can accelerate them out and go natural beatdown if necessary. Further testing will be necessary, but I believe the deck is promising, and at least it is tremendous fun!

Dozer
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 09:17:09 am by Dozer » Logged

a swashbuckling ninja

Member of Team CAB, dozercat on MTGO
MTG.com coverage reporter (Euro GPs) -- on hiatus, thanks to uni
Associate Editor of www.planetmtg
Matt
Post like a butterfly, Mod like a bee.
Basic User

King of the Jews!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 01:37:34 pm »

Nice report.

Is Kodama really better than Plated Slagwurm? Slagwurm doesn't have trample but it's also not going to trade with an Exalted Angel or something. Also, you can't Berserk Kodama but you can Slagwurm.

Speaking of which, why so many Berserks? It seems like the most conditional card in the deck, and you do have all those Mysticals to find it.

Have you considered Merchant Scroll? I normally wouldn't suggest it but you have the Chrome Moxes to play it turn one and you have a LOT of stuff to get - Tutor, Truth, FoF, AKs, Intuition, counters, MisD, these are all things you might reasonably Scroll for. I would probably want to try a couple like this:

-1 Intuition
-1 Berserk
+2 Scroll

and see how that works.

http://www.goodgamery.com/pmo/c025.GIF
----------------------
SpenceForHire2k7: Its unessisary
SpenceForHire2k7: only spelled right
SpenceForHire2k7: <= world english teach evar
----------------------
noitcelfeRmaeT
{Team Hindsight}