TheManaDrain.com
December 11, 2019, 11:27:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: [Report] Golden Grahams Wins All at Indianapolis GPT  (Read 6778 times)
Tash
Basic User

Legacy-Aholic

Tashson
View Profile Email
« on: October 08, 2005, 11:34:35 pm »

On Oct. 8 I, for the first time ever, went to a local store for Friday Night Magic. While there, I mention legacy, and one of the guys starts telling me about the GPT in Indianapolis on the following day. I completely scrub out in the FNM tourney, but I have a ride to the GPT. I get on the wrong bus however, and figure I'm going to be late, but I switch routes and get to the game shop 20 minutes before they arrive. Traffic is a bitch, because of the Indiana University: Bloomington homecoming game, and we get to Indianapolis with 20 minutes left before the tourney. I pick up a Dragon's Breath for the sideboard, and register. This is what I played

Golden Grahams
4 Chromatic Sphere
4 Living Wish
4 Duress
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Tainted Pact
4 Lions Eye Diamond
4 Innocent Blood
4 Dark Ritual
2 Nights Whisper
1 Pyrite Spellbomb
1 Krosan Reclamation
2 Auriok Salvagers
3 Gamekeeper

1 Savannah
1 Scrubland
1 Bayou
1 Plains
2 Snow Covered Forest
2 Forest
3 Snow Covered Swamp
2 Swamp
1 Bloodstained Mire
2 Polluted Delta
3 Windswept Heath

SB:
4 Tsunami
1 City of Brass
1 Viridian Zealot
1 Gamekeeper
1 Trinket Mage
1 Ray of Revelation
1 Maga, Traitor to Mortals
1 Kjeldoran Dead
2 Darksteel Colossus
1 Auriok Salvagers
1 Dragon's Breath

I triple checked the list this time, after getting a game loss in GPT Louisville for a misregistered card. No problems, so I sit around and wait for the tourney to start.

Round 1: Chris with White Weenie.

Game 1: He throws down a Chrome Mox, and plays a turn 1 Soltari Priest. I fire off an Innocent Blood just to screw up his day. Later on he fires off¬  Mother of Runes and Mask of Memories, but that is nothing compared to the power of me comboing off on turn 5.

Game 2: My notes here are scarce, as they are through out the tourney, but I see that he got out 2 Suntail Hawks and I therapy him circa 3 times, the last time right before comboing off, realizing that he didn't have anything to stop me, so I name Black Lotus for shits and giggles.

1-0-0

Round 2: John with W/b Aggro

Game 1: John plays cards like, Vindicate, Suntail Hawk, SoFI, StP, and Exalted Angel. I duress him once or twice, removing the spells that I need to, and I pull out the victory.

Game 2: Yeah, simply put I start to combo off, and get swords to hell.

Game 3: See: Game 2

1-1-0

Round 3: John with Sensei, Sensei

Game 1: I rode up with John, and he lost round 1, and got the bye round two. We joke for a few minutes before the round starts. He brings out a turn 2 or 3 Helm of Awakening. The next turn I living wish for a Salvagers and combo off.

Game 2: His turn 1: Tundra. Go.
My turn one: Scrubland, Dark Ritual, Chromatic Sphere, Pop the Sphere for green, Draw some jank, Play 2 Lion's Eye Diamond, Cast Living Wish and crack them both for WWWWWW, I get the Salvagers with the living wish and cast it with WW floating. John goes "At least I got to play a Tundra"

2-1-0

Round 4: Jason with Not Quite Grow
Game 1: Jason was the guy that won GPT Louisville with practically the same deck. I laugh and claim that I was going to avenge my friend's top four defeat. We shuffle up and he administers a lot of beats, but late in the game, as I'm at 6, I sstabilizeand Combo out.

Game 2: I side in the 2 Colossus, 4 Tsunami and the Dragons Breath. I figure it'd be pretty good. I get out a Tsunami on turn 3 and end up with a Colossus in hand as I sac my Gamekeeper. I forget to target, and start flipping cards. The second Colossus is on the bottom of the deck, so I target myself naming Colossus. The judge is called, and I get a pproceduralwarning. I lose because I took out Krosan Reclamation. That was not good.

Game 3: In short, we play to time and go to the fifth turn. He asks if I'm planning on going to Philly, and I say yes. He nods and looks at the judge. "I scoop" he says as he packs up his cards.

3-1-0

Round 5: I was once told that the last round in a magic tourney, before cut to top 8 is all politics. It didn't take me much to convince my opponent to draw in to the top 8.

3-1-1

Top 8: Andy playing Goblins.

Game 1: So before the match, he's trying to get hints from me about how to win against me. He says something like "I side in pithing needle against you", Me: "Well, that does hurt" Him: "I think I should name the spellbomb with the needle." Me: *smirk* "Sure, taking out my win condition is always good. I win the roll and go land go. He goes turn one lackey, and I go turn 2 Ritual Gamekeeper. He stops altogether, since he doesn't want to kill the keeper, and I combo him out.

Game 2: Anyone remember the bit about the Pithing needle? He turn 1 drops a needle naming Pyrite Spellbomb. I block some goblins with a Gamekeeper, and a hardcast Salvagers, and combo out, using chromatic sphere to go get a living wish and hit him with a very painful Maga, Traitor to Mortals.

4-1-1

Top 4: John (the U/B aggro player from round 2)

Game 1: I get to play the guy that beat me. Oh joy. We trade off with the usual disruption, and he hits a morphed angel, he flips her and taps out. Next turn I combo off.

Game 2: I side in the Colossus plan. Unfortunately I don't see a damn Gamekeeper for the entire game, and he starts beating himself down with an Ancient Tomb, of course his clock is faster than my sitting there and doing nothing. I scoop.

Game 3: I play a forest on turn on followed by a Chromatic Sphere. He duresses me on turn 1 and pulls a Tainted Pact, while I have a Lion's Eye Diamond and an Auriok Salvagers in hand, turn two I play a fetchland, crack a sphere for black and see glory in all shapes and forms. A dark ritual pops into my hand. I crack the fetchland and go get a white source. I bring out turn 2 Salvagers with Lion's Eye Diamond, and a Chromatic Sphere in the graveyard. That's all she wrote folks. He shows me an enlightened tutor from his hand. He would have had a turn 2 pithing needle, if he wouldn't have duressed away my pact and instead grabbed my Lion's Eye Diamond.

5-1-1

Finals: Rory with Landstill

I came up with Rory and offer him my packs if he lets me have the victory. He mulls over it for a second, and figures he won't be attending GP Philly, he takes my packs and we shake hands.

6-1-1

Overall, I'm proud of me again. A GPT victory with Golden Grahams. I want to change the sideboard mostly, but I just didn't have the time to. I had one night to prepare for the event, and even had to scrounge for some cards anyways.

Props:
Rory for being the worst Landstill player to make top 2.
Jason for being awesome and scooping to me.
That guy with Merfolk.DEC and making it 2-3
My deck, for not crapping out on me
Auriok Salvagers, for being able to pull off matches I have no business winning.

Slops:
Pithing Needle, still. I hate that card.
Viridian Shaman, he's overcosted and not too helpful.
All the cards that just sat in my sideboard and stared at me.
Rory, for taking forever in his top 8 matches.
The Marriott for charging $2 for a 20 oz. drink.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 12:36:06 pm by Bardo » Logged

I think the most surreal thing is when a complete stranger you meet at a tournament hears your name and goes "Oh, yeah. I've read your stuff." It's kind of weird, yet feels good all at the same time.
Matt
Post like a butterfly, Mod like a bee.
Basic User

King of the Jews!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 11:41:38 pm »

Awesome, congratulations! I'm glad the Maga tech killed someone. Very Happy

Decklist?

http://www.goodgamery.com/pmo/c025.GIF
----------------------
SpenceForHire2k7: Its unessisary
SpenceForHire2k7: only spelled right
SpenceForHire2k7: <= world english teach evar
----------------------
noitcelfeRmaeT
{Team Hindsight}
Tash
Basic User

Legacy-Aholic

Tashson
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 11:52:23 pm »

The decklist is right under the spiffy picture of the Golden Grahams box.

But yeah, your mad Maga tech helped me kill someone.

I think the most surreal thing is when a complete stranger you meet at a tournament hears your name and goes "Oh, yeah. I've read your stuff." It's kind of weird, yet feels good all at the same time.
Luiggi
Full Members
Basic User

Fear me, if you dare.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 01:02:00 pm »

Congrats Tash! Couple of questions:

- how is your matchup against Goblins, generally? I saw that you only played against it once at the tourney, but beat him pretty handily...

- is the Maga really only for when they play a Needle on Spellbomb? If your Goblin opponent had played the Needle naming Salvagers, is your plan to Gamekeeper into DSC/Dragon Breath and win, like The Game?

- any retrospective changes you'd make to the list?

Luiggi

Quote from: Dxfiler
"I saw endless fields of workshops... They were harvesting fish, using them as batteries. [...] If Workshops are the machines and Fish are the humans, G/R Beats is Neo, Razz."
Tash
Basic User

Legacy-Aholic

Tashson
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 07:36:19 pm »

- how is your matchup against Goblins, generally? I saw that you only played against it once at the tourney, but beat him pretty handily...

I haven't really tested out the goblins matchup. But I love my odds. I can race it, and the Gamekeeper can block goblins for days, but they don't like swinging into it. I wonder why...

Besides, Innocent Blood is a great turn 1 vs Lackey.

- is the Maga really only for when they play a Needle on Spellbomb? If your Goblin opponent had played the Needle naming Salvagers, is your plan to Gamekeeper into DSC/Dragon Breath and win, like The Game?

*laughs* No, not at all. The Maga is in the sideboard in case I remove a pyrite spellbomb with the Tainted Pact. Living Wish is great in that sense.

And yes, I become The Game when they bring in the needles.

- any retrospective changes you'd make to the list?

Yes, there's a few Sideboard cards that would be cut, but the main seems pretty tight to me.

cosineme
Basic User

bigmeateaters
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 01:32:20 am »

This sounds fun, like the game but faster win condition. What does this lose to? I mean, needles set correctly can hurt lol...(why would you name the win condition which could be a gazillion things and not the engine?!) Some people are running crypts, STP of course but not that many people run that...

Just moved from Ann Arbor to Chicago. Even had a chance to play a bit with some of the famed Ann Arbor players.

Help me find a magic store in downtown Chicago

AKA effang
Tash
Basic User

Legacy-Aholic

Tashson
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 01:59:20 am »

This sounds fun, like the game but faster win condition. What does this lose to? I mean, needles set correctly can hurt lol...(why would you name the win condition which could be a gazillion things and not the engine?!) Some people are running crypts, STP of course but not that many people run that...

I don't know what it loses to. I'm serious. It's lost to Iggy-Pop, and it's lost to U/b Aggro. In testing I got my ass HANDED to me by landstill, but that was pre-sideboarding. I'd like to think that I have a better game against them in round 2 and 3.

And no one in their right mind would name Pyrite Spellbomb vs. me. Of course I have no qualms with telling someone that naming Spellbomb is a good idea.

And as for swords, this deck has 12 discard effects per game (4 Duress, 4 Cabal Therapy, which can be used twice) I find that waiting until the right moment to combo off has always paid off. Besides Cabal Therapy takes more than one STP when I need it to.

And if they sideboard Tormond's Crypt against me. Well, shucks. I hope to race them before they get it. (This deck CAN race pretty fast, see the turn 1 win and the turn 2 win in the report) And then next game, become the Game.

Neonico
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 02:47:12 pm »

Congratz for the trial, 3 Byes is good Smile

How do you use trinket in the side ? DOnt see how you can cast it  :shock: Confused
Luiggi
Full Members
Basic User

Fear me, if you dare.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 03:12:56 pm »

How do you use trinket in the side ? DOnt see how you can cast it¬  :shock: Confused

4 Chromatic Spheres and 4 LEDs (probably popped for Blue in response to a Living Wish). Generally it would be a Chromatic Sphere that is used, I assume.

Luiggi

"I saw endless fields of workshops... They were harvesting fish, using them as batteries. [...] If Workshops are the machines and Fish are the humans, G/R Beats is Neo, Razz."
Tash
Basic User

Legacy-Aholic

Tashson
View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 12:38:21 am »

The trinket mage is cast off a Chromatic Sphere.

Of course, I never used it. Ever. So I'm thinking it leaves the decklist.

And yes, I hear 3 byes is good. I'm looking forward to philidelphia.

cosineme
Basic User

bigmeateaters
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 08:41:28 am »

Just wondering how exactlhy doest tainted pact work? I've always wanted to use it, but it just doesn't work well for me ever.

Tainted Pact

Instant   
Remove the top card of your library from the game. You may put that card into your hand unless it has the same name as another card removed this way. Repeat this process until you put a card into your hand or you remove two cards with the same name, whichever comes first. 

Let's say i cast it.

i reveal
island
forest
swamp
mountain
plains
island

I could choose to keep any of the first 5 cards as i go along but it means that later I can't pick up one of those 5 cards because they would be redundant and "unless it has the same name as another card removed this way" Now my problem is with this part "or you remove two cards with the same name." Isn't that redundant? aren't both parts of the spell text the same meaning?

So basically, if i keep going, and reveal the 6th card (island) I will have to RFG it since I can't place that card in my hand. And thus the chain ends and the spell...sucked?

Just moved from Ann Arbor to Chicago. Even had a chance to play a bit with some of the famed Ann Arbor players.

AKA effang
Anusien
Adepts
Basic User

Anusien
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 08:46:00 am »

So you stard, and flip over those lands.  If you flip over the Island the spell ends, and you've gotten 4 pieces of crap off the top of your library. The only thing you have a 4 of is the cards you actually want to see/draw off a Tainted Pact, so the deck is in a good position to break it.

Magic Level 3 Judge
Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote from: H.L. Mencken
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.
GnomesofZurich
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 08:47:34 am »

Decks that want to use (and abuse) Tainted Pact craft their deck (and mana base) to get around this requirement, and minimize the number of lands with the same name.  This is why the snow-covered basics are in the list.
cosineme
Basic User

bigmeateaters
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 11:35:40 am »

ah, nice, i see. so, i was right i suppose.

i tested this deck against GRO. I would assume with the heavy discard that GRO would be losing quite often, but this wasn't the case.

22 lands for a 4 mana guy is a bit little. The rituals helped a ton obviously, but first turn daze could spell disaster. Obviously if you get the Green guy in play then it's pretty much over. But GRO had a decent shot at keeping him off.

AKA effang
GAUDARD
Basic User

Browncoat

j7million
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 12:43:44 pm »

..., and figures he won't be attending GP Philly, he takes my packs and we shake hands...

What a SOB![/s]
This post was useless, and should have been a PM.
-Matt

Actually, it's a flame, and merits a warning and a link to the rules: http://www.themanadrain.com/forums/index.php?topic=18027.0
-Jacob
[/color]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 07:07:46 pm by Jacob Orlove » Logged

-- Gaudard
Coming to a Pro Tour near and SCG P9 you.
www.serenitymovie.com ; www.serenityfirefly.com ; www.fireflytalk.com
Neonico
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2005, 01:29:48 pm »

How do you use trinket in the side ? DOnt see how you can cast it  :shock: Confused

4 Chromatic Spheres and 4 LEDs (probably popped for Blue in response to a Living Wish). Generally it would be a Chromatic Sphere that is used, I assume.

Luiggi

Ok i figured that... It makes one more condition to manage to get a combo part. Im not sure its really really really optimal. Would a Tropical hurt the mana base ? If not, i would also include an Aether Spellbomb to deal with boring creatures like pyromancers, and fatties. Also cool to save a Salvager.

Another quick question about the deck (i really love your version, gonna test it to a tournament this WeekEnd)
 - Why no Treetop Village ? I was thinking to play 1, perhaps 2 main, 1 side. Good idea ? It owns gobelin.
 - Did you get some problems to find what you need with tainted pact ? Your mana base is really tuned for it abut you got ALOT of cards you play 4 copies. I wonder because it was totally shit in belcher and i feel its the same here, but perhaps im wrong (And dont have time to playtest, thats why i ask)
Matt
Post like a butterfly, Mod like a bee.
Basic User

King of the Jews!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2005, 03:56:03 pm »

How is a slow, mana-intensive, small, Boltable blocker supposed to "own goblins"? Especially in a deck which would much rather just win the game with infinite damage.

Also, you don't need to Pact for like eight cards. You'll find something good in 4-5 and the chances of hitting duplicates there are pretty low.

http://www.goodgamery.com/pmo/c025.GIF
----------------------
SpenceForHire2k7: Its unessisary
SpenceForHire2k7: only spelled right
SpenceForHire2k7: <= world english teach evar
----------------------
noitcelfeRmaeT
{Team Hindsight}
GnomesofZurich
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2005, 04:08:52 pm »

The problem is that people try to treat Tainted Pact like a tutor; it's not.  I've always thought of it as a black Impulse.
Tash
Basic User

Legacy-Aholic

Tashson
View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2005, 07:17:44 pm »

About Tainted Pact: I believe that it is the best "Tutor" effect that we have in the legacy format. The only thing that costs less than it is Spoils of the Vault, and that just kills you too quickly. And as for the tutor/Impulse thing.. It sort of has a dual function.

1. It finds a card that you want to find.
2. It clears crap you don't want off the top of your deck.

About Treetop Village? It's a nonbasic, so it dies to wasteland, and it takes up too much mana. It's just easier to throw down a Gamekeeper, and make them rethink their gameplan.

About Tropical Island: Adding a 4th color? Not good, nope not at all. I pushed it when I added white to a B/g Decklist. Chromatic Spheres can only pull so much weight. Not to mention that it is Wastelandable.

As for the GRO matchup. I played against it once in the tourney, and won game one, and got screwed in game 2. That said, that doesn't mean that it's an easy game to win. But you should bring in those Tsunamis against them. Seems pretty good when you tear apart a deck's manabase.

And I'm glad to hear that someone is planning on taking this to a tournament. Makes me feel proud that a deck that I created is getting some attention.

49 Cents
Basic User

Von Dutch

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2005, 12:53:52 am »

What do you normally Side out against decks like Grow?

Also, I've been having some problems to combo off with a Disciple on the table. I wanted something like a Mogg Fanatic in the board, but since the list doesn't run R I've decided to go with Festering Goblin. How does this appeal to you?

Team TDC: The man with a new idea is a fool. Unless the idea turns out to be a succes.

www.BeNeLegacy.nl - For all your Legacy
Sean Ryan
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2005, 01:42:01 pm »

What do you think about running an engineered explosives?  Its almost an auto include in Vintage Salvager  lists b/c. of the recurable utiltity.  This would help against pithing Needle as well.

You mentioned some SB changes, any ideas?

Thanks
Sean

Vintage - Time Vault vs Null Rod
Tash
Basic User

Legacy-Aholic

Tashson
View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2005, 03:16:45 pm »

Hmm... EE sounds pretty good. Maybe as a one of. It could take out Disciple and Needle. I like your line of thinking.

And in the GRO matchup I played, I sided out the entire Salvager plan. So that brought out the 4 LED, 2 Salvagers, and the Krosan Reclamation.

Festering goblin could get the job done, but I'm almost liking EE better.

cosineme
Basic User

bigmeateaters
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2005, 04:14:56 pm »

Any way we can just skip the wish board plan? It often feels too slow. I know that if you take that out, your LED's become much less potent, maybe we can cut them down?

Instead of the 4x wish, i really want to run more whisper's and maybe hymn to tourach's.

I dunno though, haven't tried it.

AKA effang
Sean Ryan
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2005, 06:29:51 pm »

I wouldn't go below 3 L. wish, especially if you fear stp.¬  However, I agree that the board needs work.¬  It doesn't need to be dominated by wishable targets.¬  Any ideas?

What do Hyms really offer you?¬  Random discard does almost nothing to help you execute your gameplan.

Personally, I like running 3 Night's Whispers and 3 Tainted Pacts.¬  Regrowth is also another option to explore.

Sean¬ 

Vintage - Time Vault vs Null Rod
Tash
Basic User

Legacy-Aholic

Tashson
View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2005, 01:54:14 pm »

I find the the Living Wishes are really good. They play the parts of Gamekeeper 4-7 and Salvagers 3-6. Besides, a turn 2 Living Wish is not "too slow". You could even cast it turn 3, plus a piece of disruption. I.E. Duress.

As for the sideboard, Trinket Mage, City Of Brass, Kjeldorian Dead, and the Zealot are all getting the Axe. Maybe even the Ray of Revelation.

Reasons are simple. EE is better than the Zealot, and even if I don't add EE, I'm thinking of the Sex Monkey in its place. Since It costs G less to use than the Zealot.

The Kjeldorian Dead are conditional, I used them once out of 12 matches. Besides, I'd rather see something like Phyrexian Tower in that slot. Mana acceleration helps sometimes.

Trinket Mage is slow, clunky, and getting the Blue to cast him is a pain.

City of Brass: "Wasteland Me"

Ray of Revelation: Who knows with this one. I saw no use yet for this one. Maybe I'll finally see a pyrostatic Pillar/Rule of law/ arcane Lab at the GP Philly. Then I'll want it.

What I'm replacing those cards with however. Well... I'm not certain yet.

Luiggi
Full Members
Basic User

Fear me, if you dare.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2005, 04:07:59 pm »

Uktabi Orangutan and Phyrexian Tower sound like they should be in there as Wish targets for sure.

Question, though: I take it the one copy of Engineered Explosives would be there in the hopes of hitting it while resolving Gamekeeper's ability, so you can bring it back with Salvagers?

Luiggi

49 Cents
Basic User

Von Dutch

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2005, 04:31:05 am »

I'm running a Maze of Ith in the SB, it's amazing against the Game mirror and random aggro jank..

Team TDC: The man with a new idea is a fool. Unless the idea turns out to be a succes.

www.BeNeLegacy.nl - For all your Legacy
Skink_123
Basic User

Skink_123@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2005, 03:48:36 pm »

If you need a land in the board, try to go with a fetch land?

Add artifact lands in your colour to your deck if you are running enlightened tutor ;D
Tash
Basic User

Legacy-Aholic

Tashson
View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2005, 10:06:36 pm »

If you need a land in the board, try to go with a fetch land?

The land this sideboard wants is the phyrexian tower. It taps for mana and provides a sacrifice outlet.

Unless they create something better.

cosineme
Basic User

bigmeateaters
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2005, 09:18:30 am »

tash, please check your pm.

AKA effang
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: