TheManaDrain.com
January 23, 2020, 10:17:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Ongoing Waterbury Results  (Read 12483 times)
ErkBek
Full Members
Basic User

A strong play.

Erk+Bek
View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2006, 09:55:22 pm »

THIS HUST IN: TK 2-0S KOWAL IN FINALS. 

TK was playing Pitch Long in his first tournament ever with storm combo!!!!11!! He has now won power with Shops, Drains, Rituals, and Erayos.

Yeah TK beat Dan in top8 and then Ben in top4 to make the finals.  no other word yet.

He even knocked out both of the Carps as well. Go Tommy!

Team GWS
Disburden
Basic User

Blue Blue, Drain you.

TheSkyScreams
View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2006, 09:59:01 pm »

This Tournament sounds really great, another wonderful job at Waterbury, I hope I am at the next one in the winter. I am very sorry that such a great tournament, with new and diverse decks, has been tainted by the fact that somebody had to be an asshole and steal cards form people. People that have helped this format more than most others in the past few years. I hope whoever you are that stole those cards gets what you deserve. Good luck Roland and Jacob with getting your stuff back, if I had all that power I would send you my own for Gencon.

I can't wait to hear from the player that plays the Kudzu deck, Kowal on his Slaver deck, Shay, and all the others that did well this weekend.

Unrestrict: Library of Alexandria and Burning Wish.

jeremy_78
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2006, 10:45:37 pm »

Congrats to TK for winning waterberry.  That makes it 1 scg 1st place, 4th place and winning a waterberry within 3 months.  Thats one hell of a winning streak.  Also congrats to Becker for creating another combo monster.  I was there in Scg Charolette when he combo out on turn 0.  It was funny when he split someones lip open by throughing a magic card at them (Becker really is the worlds most deadly man with a magic card).

Dying does not matter.  It is how you die that does.
Kowal
My name is not Brian.
Adepts
Basic User

Reanimate your feet!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2006, 11:48:29 pm »

I made it all the way to the finals without losing a game.

The ridiculous marathon match in t4 blew my brain apart.  I was utterly unprepared to play a bad matchup, let alone against a competent opponent.

Congrats to TK.  After the beating I gave him yesterday, it's only fair he gets to beat me today.
M.Solymossy
Restricted Posting
Basic User

Sphinx of The Steel Wind

MikeSolymossy
View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2006, 11:57:16 pm »

Yeah when he asked me to give him the PitchLong list last night, he definitely said you Thrashed him.

~Team Meandeck~

Vintage will continue to be awful until Time Vault is banned from existance.
Moxlotus
Teh Absolut Ballz
Full Members
Basic User

Where the fuck are my pants?

moxlotusgws
View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2006, 11:58:07 pm »

I made it all the way to the finals without losing a game.

Holy shit.  That is truly impressive.

Cybernations--a free nation building game.
http://www.cybernations.net
CrashTest
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2006, 12:14:54 am »

Good job to everyone in the T8! I met TK at the tournament, he was extremely nice and I am glad he did well - along with Kowal, and everyone else.

I scrubbed out day 1, but my deck was Top 1 in shiny Japanese foils! Very Happy Very Happy
Kowal
My name is not Brian.
Adepts
Basic User

Reanimate your feet!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2006, 01:23:06 am »

Here's a QnD.  My memory is super spotty.

DAY ONE:

R1:  Caleb Rozwenc with Hadley Stax
Game one he has turn one chalice, cuts off Academy.  Then he has Fastbond Crucible Strip Mine.  Then he has Platinum Angel and Barbarian Ring.
Game two I don't have a third Volcanic Island to fetch and can't cast Rack and Ruin.  I die horribly.

R2:  Control Slaver I think
I don't remember this at all, other than I won.

R3:  Maybe Stax?
I won.  Goblin Welder I think.

R4:  RBW Confidant Hide/Seek Aggro Control
His manabase is pretty horrible, and City of Brass does most of the work for me.

R5:  Gifts
Game one I think I had a Library of Alexandria or something.  I drew a ton of cards.
Game two I countered a lot of gassy spells and Mindslaver'd him, forcing him to remove his win conditions on a Will turn.

R6:  Tommy Kolowith with SS
Game one I just don't get pressured, and Tinker for Colossus.
Game two I Mana Drain Dimir Cutpurse and it turns in to every spell in my deck.

R7:  Steffan Elsworth (I have no idea how to spell it because I don't remember exactly what it is) playing Dragon
Game one he gets a turn two kill.
Game two he gets mana stalled and I slave him for lethal.
Game three I have Tormod's Crypt and go the distance with Colossus.

R8:  ID with Justin Timoney

T16:  EBA
His little guys die to Pyroclasm and I end up doing the Triskelion thing.

T8:  3cc
He's never really in either game.  Skeletal Scrying isn't as speedy as Thirst for Knowledge.

T4:  Rich Meyst with Kudzu
Game one I crush him.
Game two I resolve The Abyss and he resolves Null Rod.  His is better.
Game three I make a booboo.

DAY TWO

R1:  Sara Yarrington playing 3c Confidant Aggro/Control
Game one I get colossus, and she Hides it.  I will and get colossus, and she plows it.  I have to go the distance with Trike recursion.
Game two she Seeks my Colossus and my Triskelion, and Razormane Masticore goes the distance.

R2:  Jeremiah Rudolph with Control Slaver
Game one I break a stalemate with a counterwar on the end of his turn, and proceed to fight another over my Mindslaver on my turn.  It goes off and soon I'm all winning the prize and shit.
Game two he has me pretty well beaten, but I manage to sneak through a Slaver activation and the game u-turns.

R3:  Some kind of combo (not sure which Beckerdeck it is)
Island, Mox Ruby, Sol Ring, Tinker, Time Walk, Force of Will, Brainstorm.  You figure it out.
Black Lotus, Mana Crypt, Mox Pearl, Flooded Strand, fetch for Underground Sea, Tinker for Darksteel Colossus, Yawgmoth's Will, Thirst for Knowledge, Tinker for Sphere of Resistance, pass.

R4:  Jeff Greene with Counterbalance
Game one is a Library mirror, but Goblin Welder breaks those.  I slave him and he scoops.
Game two he misfights his counterwar, and it leaves me pretty far ahead.  He doesn't get a chance to keep up.

R5:  Dave Feinstein with U/W Fish
Game one I resolve Tinker, he plows the colossus, and I use the breathing room to do the Triskelion thing.
Game two I go all in off a Lotus and Mox Ruby play with no other mana, and find the other sources I need.  Pyroclasm kills team and I stabilize and win.

R6:  ID with Nate Pease (Mask)

R7:  ID with Tommy Kolowith (Pitch Long)

T8:  Jeremiah Rudolph with Control Slaver
Game one he has me pretty well fucked again, but I refuse to die.  Shaman and Welder get me to 1, but I manage to set up a huge will with enough mana for Welder Walk hardcast Slaver holding Trike while he's tapped out.
Game two I outdraw him and beat down with Trike.

T4:  Joel with 5c Stax
Game one is eternal.  We wipe the board clean with Smokestack like three times, he makes a brilliant tutor play that trumps my Darksteel Colossus, and Balances leaving me with zero cards in hand and one land.  I manage to come back with a Brainstorm in to Goblin Welder for Triskelion.
Game two he opens with Chalice 0, Gemstone Mine, Goblin Welder.  I play a land and Sol Ring.  He plays a Shaman, but has no other land.  I play a land and pass.  He plays Bazaar of Baghdad, taps it, and then casts Imperial Seal, losing his Gemstone Mine.  I start trying to do stuff but it's too late, and the Sundering Titan he tutored for is soon welded in to play.  Joel keeps swapping him out to prevent me from going mox crazy or keeping lands on the table.  On my last turn to survive I Vampiric Tutor for Time Walk, break two fetches and cast it, which prompts him to weld out Chalice for Sundering Titan to kill my two lands before I untap.  I play Black Lotus and cast Yawgmoth's Will, getting all my acceleration in to play along with double welder, Tinker for Triskelion, and hardcast Mindslaver next to that same Time Walk for the lock right there.

Finals:  Tommy Kolowith with Pitch Long
Game one I keep a decent hand for on the play, but Tommy opens with turn one Necropotence.  Tormod's keeps him from winning for a long time, and he ends up Necroing himself down to 5 over the course of three turns before he can find a way to kill me.
Game two I keep a hand that looks nuts but doesn't ACTUALLY have what it takes to beat combo.  He Hurkyl's Recalls my Colossus on turn two and proceeds to go off through Force of Will.

EDIT:  Forgot to post my decklist.  Here you go.

4 Force of Will
4 Mana Drain
4 Brainstorm
4 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Time Walk
1 Tinker
1 Echoing Truth

3 Night's Whisper
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor

3 Goblin Welder

2 Mindslaver
1 Darksteel Colossus
1 Triskelion
1 Memory Jar
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Black Lotus
1 Sol Ring
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mana Vault
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Emerald

1 Library of Alexandria
1 Tolarian Academy
3 Polluted Delta
2 Flooded Strand
3 Underground Sea
2 Volcanic Island
3 Island

SB:
4 Sphere of Resistance
3 Red Elemental Blast
2 Razormane Masticore
2 Pyroclasm
1 Lava Dart
1 Rushing River
1 Rack and Ruin
1 Tormod's Crypt

Day one my list was the same, but with a sixth fetch over the third island, and the Razormanes were The Abyss.  My day two list was much stronger as a result.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 12:17:31 pm by Kowal » Logged
Disburden
Basic User

Blue Blue, Drain you.

TheSkyScreams
View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2006, 02:05:36 pm »

Kowal,

Good work at Waterbury! You showed us that your list with Whispers really is strong. I like how you added Razormanes in your board over the Abyss. Honestly, the Abyss just seemed to slow against random jank aggro decks. When you're facing 3-4 creatures on the other side of the board it really doesn't do much in time. Has the life loss from Whisper and fetchlands in combination with eachoter been a problem? Where I play theres a lot of hate decks like R/G beats that have always given me a problem. I'm guessing aggro could hurt you something good and that's why your board has a lot of slots for it. Maybe you can elaborate more on why you choose Night's Whisper and if any other members of your team use it. Has Shay moved to use it yet or is he still on the Merchant Scroll path, etc?

Good job with the deck, it looks good.

twault
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2006, 02:52:57 pm »

Congrats to all. It's good to know that there is still lots of innovation in the format. Night's Whisper is a card that I have always loved, but could never find a way to use.

I'd also love to see this Worse Than GAT deck with the nine strip effects. Is a decklist going to be posted soon?

I need practice.

Currently playing:

Belcher
Oath
MarkPharaoh
Basic User

Ghost of T1

MruthyuMOTL
View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2006, 03:03:46 pm »

Me and Ben Carp also split the free Drain tournament on Day1.  Oh, and Soly, bend over please, thanks.

Uncalled-for. Please don't do this anymore.
- Bram
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 03:31:24 pm by Bram » Logged

Whatever Works
Basic User

Kyle+R+Leith
View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2006, 04:39:39 pm »

I'd also love to see this Worse Than GAT deck with the nine strip effects. Is a decklist going to be posted soon?

Worse then GAT. LOL. Funny name but totally wrong on so many levels. His deck has solved the crucial problem that GAT had, and that was beating stax which it does very very well. 2 straight waterbury's won by green decks with creatures.

Waterbury looked like a legacy tournement for most of the day. But, I guess Legacy is more advanced then type 1 because of two GP's that made pro's examine the format.

Regardless, Congrats to Meyst for what me, brassman, feinstein, and Shay called a very very well thought, creative, intricate, and overall brilliant deck.

Kyle L.

Team Retribution
seer
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2006, 04:50:48 pm »

Anyone have a complete list for that gro-a-tog deck yet? I'd like to examine it.
Disburden
Basic User

Blue Blue, Drain you.

TheSkyScreams
View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2006, 04:53:08 pm »

Dude, everyone on this forum is waiting to see that list and even a report from the player that piloted the list to day one. When it comes up, it'll come up. As of now, we wait for it to see how we like it. It ran four Life of the Loam, 9 strips, Nimble moongoose, exploration,  and wild mongrel. That's all we can say for now until it comes up. No one would keep the list secret if they knew it.

Whatever Works
Basic User

Kyle+R+Leith
View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2006, 04:57:17 pm »

Anyone have a complete list for that gro-a-tog deck yet? I'd like to examine it.

Its nothing like groatog at all... Its much closer to bird shit.

Here is its core from me looking through the deck 1 time...

9 strips

4 nimble mongoose
4 wild mongrol
4 kudzu
On color Moxes... black lotus obv...
5ish fetches... 3-4 basics... 2 tundra...3 trop???
4 brainstorm
4 FoW
4 Daze
Gush/ancestral/time walk/enlightened tutor/mystical tutor
1 fastbond
2 exploration
2 null rod
2 life from the loam
1 Swords to Plowshares (3 in board)

That should be very very close to correct... board was Oxidize/energy flux/StP/sacred ground...more null rods... pretty basic..
Note: Ghost Quater synergy on own lands w/kudzu out...

This deck is going to take a great hit after coldsnap becomes legal because of jontun grunts power vs. this deck... Kudzu was suppossedly hit or miss alot of the time, and he said he was testing warebear.

Hope this helps. This deck did go 11-1 day 1 with only loss to UW fish by feinstein who is feinstein after all... TO DAVE FEINSTEIN!

Kyle L

Team Retribution
Disburden
Basic User

Blue Blue, Drain you.

TheSkyScreams
View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2006, 05:21:10 pm »

Thanks a lot Whatever Works. Your hints to the list really help, but I would still like to see from the decks pilot his report and list himself. I guess we wait, no? Anything new that does well in this Format helps the format, so I congratulate you, player of WTG for playing this deck.

Dominik
Basic User

Team Blitzkrieg: The Vintage Lightning War.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2006, 06:07:19 pm »

Here's the described list put into MWS/Apprentice form, for those of you who'd want to test it before it's posted:

// Deck file for Magic Workstation

// Lands
1 Forest
2 Tundra
1 Island
2 Tropical Island
1 Windswept Heath
3 Flooded Strand
4 Wasteland
4 Ghost Quarter
1 Strip Mine

// Creatures
4 Nimble Mongoose
4 Wild Mongrel
4 Vinelasher Kudzu

// Spells
1 Fastbond
2 Exploration
2 Life from the Loam
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Black Lotus
1 Mystical Tutor
2 Null Rod
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Mox Pearl
4 Brainstorm
4 Force of Will
4 Daze
1 Gush
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Time Walk

// Sideboard
SB: 3 Swords to Plowshares
SB: 3 Oxidize
SB: 3 Energy Flux
SB: 4 Ray of Revelation
SB: 2 Null Rod

Please note that this is NOT the exact list, just an estimate from the information we have so far. I know for sure I have a few things wrong, but I think that this is pretty close to what we'll see.

-Dominik

Team Blitzkrieg: The Vintage Lightning War.

You don't take damage from the Arabian City of Brass.  You Suffer that damage.
tehmajickguy
Basic User

svgmizer
View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2006, 09:20:39 pm »

That list is fairly close. It didn't run Enlightened tutor, didn't run Null Rod main, ran Mox Diamond(which is getting cut), only 1 tundra, 3 trops, 3 heath, no flux in the board, 4 oxidize in the board, 3 rod in the board. I think thats all the differences, but Rich will have his report up before too long.

Team Perfect Scrubs: TMD Open 13 Winner
Nehptis
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2006, 09:20:59 pm »

So did the Kudzo deck avoid Storm Combo matches all day or does it truley have a game against Grim Long and such?  It seems that even with post SBed 4 Rods, Dazes, and the T1 staple FOW that it would be pretty challenging for WTG to be effective against Storm Combo.
Dxfiler
Full Members
Basic User

OHH YEAHHHH!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2006, 09:26:46 pm »

With all the demand of his decklist, the amount of people waiting to barn rich Meyst's list must be in the untold thousands.

On a serious note, his deck is a monster.  When he showed it to me the week before waterbury, I thought it was pretty good.  I was even tempted to give it a spin, but I didn't have any testing behind it.  Now, having played against it I must say that it's a legit top deck in the format.  He only had one match loss on day one.  Some scrub playing UW fish, didn't catch the name.  Heard that said scrub got incredibly lucky and that game three of the match looked like a glorified legacy finals.  Isamaru with jitte swinging into a kudzu and a mongoose?  What the hell is type one coming to these days. 

Anyway, Congrats to Rich Meyst on his win.  He certainly turned the format on its ear.  I wish people would just give him time and he'll put the exact list up, then you can all barn it and make un-necessary tweaks to it.  :p

As for me, I'll have a report up soon.  Waterbury was a blast. 

- Dave Feinstein

Die Hard Games is at a NEW LOCATION!

101 Higginson Ave #111
Lincoln, RI 02865
(401)312-3407

Our store is now twice as big and we always have something going on Very Happy

DHGRI.com and Facebook.com/DHGRI
nartman99
Basic User

nartman03
View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2006, 09:44:02 pm »

For all the curious people who want the Kudzu list and didn't check the Basic User Tournament Reports forum:

4 Vinelasher Kudzu
4 Wild Mongrel
3 Nimble Mongoose

4 FOW
4 Daze
4 Brainstorm
1 Gush
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Timewalk
3 Life From The Loam
2 Exploration
1 Fastbond
1 Misdirection
1 Swords to Plowshares

3 Polluted Delta
3 Windswept Heath
3 Tropical Island
1 Tundra
1 Forest
1 Island
4 Wasteland
4 Ghost Quarter
1 Strip Mine
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Diamond
1 Black Lotus

Sideboard

2 Swords to Plowshares
3 Ray of Revalation
4 Oxidize
3 Null Rod
3 Meddling Mage

Note: - 2 Exploration, - 1 Mox Diamond, + 3 Null Rod main

Meyst did not say what he put in his sideboard instead.

Team Chewy Nips

Team Reflection
Smmenen
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2006, 09:56:33 pm »

Congrats to TK for winning with pitch long day two.  Also, Congrats to Rich Myiest for pwning with a new Gro variant.

I'm glad everything went well and all had a good time.   What was the total turnout?
SonataOfTheCathedral
Full Members
Basic User

Putting the "ew" in Jew since '87!

LapseOfReasonX
View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2006, 09:57:50 pm »

144 for day one I believe.

NYDP
Kowal
My name is not Brian.
Adepts
Basic User

Reanimate your feet!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2006, 10:58:35 pm »

It was 144 day one and 69 day two.

Kowal,

Good work at Waterbury! You showed us that your list with Whispers really is strong. I like how you added Razormanes in your board over the Abyss. Honestly, the Abyss just seemed to slow against random jank aggro decks. When you're facing 3-4 creatures on the other side of the board it really doesn't do much in time. Has the life loss from Whisper and fetchlands in combination with eachoter been a problem? Where I play theres a lot of hate decks like R/G beats that have always given me a problem. I'm guessing aggro could hurt you something good and that's why your board has a lot of slots for it. Maybe you can elaborate more on why you choose Night's Whisper and if any other members of your team use it. Has Shay moved to use it yet or is he still on the Merchant Scroll path, etc?

Good job with the deck, it looks good.

Thanks for the kind words.  Smile

Razormane was everything I wanted from a sideboard card.  He shifted my gameplan to one more aggro-friendly, soundly answered a vast majority of my opponent's deck, and had functional synergy with the rest of my cards.  I was extremely pleased with him and would run him again.

Life loss is almost never an issue.  The vast majority of decks that attack life totals feature a heavy core of mana denial.  If I'm going to lose to these decks, it's as a result of being unable to play my spells rather than my life total decreasing too rapidly.  This may well be different against a deck that trades this prison component for blazing speed such as Madness, but in spite of mine and Andy's fixation on that deck neither myself nor the rest of Team Reflection has logged enough testing of that matchup to be certain.

My goal for this weekend was to locate a sideboard that could adequately handle aggro-control.  Traditionally these are the decks I lose to, and as such I felt it was my primary concern.  I'm pleased with the 4 (and occasionally 5) slots that go in for those matchups, and I find that though this is a good chunk of my sideboard space it's important enough to warrant keeping around.

EDIT:  Didn't notice you also mentioned wanting an explanation towards Night's Whisper.

Night's Whisper, for me, performs a function extremely similar to that of Brainstorm.  It will smooth over your mana, increase your hand size and hand quality.  It will give you something to do turn one before you have Mana Drain online.  It prevents you from running out of gas and stalling.  It gets Library of Alexandria back to active after a counterwar.  It digs for removal.  It breaks a topdeck war.  It dodges Red Elemental Blast.  It allows me to run these ridiculous manabases with 10 artifacts, and still expect to see enough mana against Null Rod decks to break loose from their openings and stabilize.  On top of all these valid and crucial reasons to run Night's Whisper in the deck, it even appeals to my inner little kid--  it looks badass in foil. 

If I had my way, my teammates would all run it.  As to who does, unfortunately it's not really my place to say.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 11:25:54 pm by Kowal » Logged
monSt4r
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2006, 05:24:02 am »

4 Force of Will
4 Mana Drain
4 Brainstorm
4 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Time Walk
1 Tinker
1 Echoing Truth

3 Night's Whisper
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor

3 Goblin Welder

2 Mindslaver
1 Darksteel Colossus
1 Triskelion
1 Memory Jar
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Black Lotus
1 Sol Ring
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mana Vault
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Emerald

1 Library of Alexandria
1 Tolarian Academy
3 Polluted Delta
2 Flooded Strand
3 Underground Sea
2 Volcanic Island
3 Island
Sorry to be on a wrong thing here, but just to ask some questions...firstly, the bigest problem with Intuition/Ak engine was the 7-8 dedicated slots for a card drawing...and welder is supposed to be the weakest card in Slaver (some say that)...

So isn't it logical to bounce out some spells to turn slaver into intuition draw controll deck with a faster kill ? Heck, you can leave 1 mindslaver for random tinker, in most cases you will tinker for it...

p.s. sorry, but I don't see much logic in "dead cards" that slaver has...

In the beginning there was nothing...which exploded !
Kowal
My name is not Brian.
Adepts
Basic User

Reanimate your feet!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2006, 09:50:58 am »

The key to playing slaver at a level that is passable is understanding why your cards are dead, and how to change that.

When faced with an opening hand with Slaver, you may see some things that look ineffective.  Welder is a good example.  There are a number of ways that playing correctly can transform Welder from a mediocre creature in to the game-breaker.  The other random dead slots all do the same thing, but in a more subtle way.

Swapping out these cards for Intuition/AK would mangle the deck.  You lose some very unique aspects of the deck (including most of the broken nonsense involving the actual activation of a goblin welder) in exchange for draw spells which aren't as good or as nimble as Thirst for Knowledge.  You can't cast both at the same time.  It's a lot easier to cast Goblin Welder than Intuition.
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2006, 10:01:54 am »

Kowal is right. Playing Control Slaver involves transforming dead cards into non-dead cards. Sometimes this is harder to do than at other times. However, Brainstorm and Thirst do the job. Having a whole bunch of mana makes dead cards like Mindslaver win you the game. Sure, sometimes you have too many such cards in your opening hand; however, that's what Mulligans are for.

Finally, if you take your idea to its logical extreme, you'll turn into Gifts. There is nothing wrong with playing Gifts; it is a good deck. If you want to play a deck without so many deadcards while still playing Drains, it is a strong choice.

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
Smmenen
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2006, 04:55:10 pm »

Kowal is right. Playing Control Slaver involves transforming dead cards into non-dead cards. Sometimes this is harder to do than at other times. However, Brainstorm and Thirst do the job.

For years I have been telling people that the correct strategy for beating Slaver is countering Thirst (at least from the control side).  Keep Thirst offline and you make their whole deck look crappy: welders become mons goblin raiders until they get six mana, and those expensive artifacts stay in hand unless they can brainstorm + Fetch.

Tha Gunslinga
Full Members
Basic User

De-Errata Mystical Tutor!

ThaGunslingaMOTL
View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2006, 09:53:52 pm »

For years I have been telling people that the correct strategy for beating Slaver is countering Thirst (at least from the control side). 

I thought this was common knowledge.  As an Oath player, that's certainly the card I aim to kill off.

Don't tolerate splittin'
Kowal
My name is not Brian.
Adepts
Basic User

Reanimate your feet!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2006, 10:09:32 pm »

Aside from Thirst, there are these major threats:

Tinker
Ancestral Recall
Time Walk (occasionally)
Gifts Ungiven (if they run it)
Yawgmoth's Will

In my build, there are the Night's Whispers, which obviously won't end a game by resolving but give me something to do if my opponent ignores everything but Thirst for Knowledge.

Further, any artifact mana heavy draw makes the robots all dangerous as well, aside from Colossus.  Jar is especially scary, since it's so cheap that hardcasting isn't often a problem, and is generally fueled by Mana Drain anyway.

Note that having Library access also makes Goblin Welder and robots good, since you can pretty easily just tap to draw on your own turn and drop the Slaver in the bin.  This is typically how I break the dueling Library scenerio.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: