TheManaDrain.com
August 24, 2019, 11:03:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Wait, this wasn't a Legacy Tournament?" A First Place Finish at TMD 9  (Read 7275 times)
amidtownrocker
Basic User

Tony Danza, our Savior

amidtownr0cker
View Profile Email
« on: July 31, 2006, 09:30:57 pm »

First off, most of you may not know me at all, so let me just start off by saying I am a mostly type 2 and extended player from Connecticut.  I have played on the PT once, when it was in Hawaii (the best time to get on the train) and have some other smaller accomplishments to my resume.  The big reason I first got into type 1 was because of the players at my local store.  The likes of Jarad Demmick, Keith Johnson, Steve Houdlette, and THE Raymond Robillard.  After some weekly type 1 events, I was hooked, and ever sicne Ive been traveling around with my crew trying to win power.  I have always been a Fish player in this format as it fits my play style completely.  When my team was testing for this event we tried to define the metagame and go off that like we all should.  We decided that the biggest fish deck would be SS and with a huge emergence of Bob in nearly every type 1 deck we noticed how almost ALL decks in type 1 now ran either darkblast or something to deal with little fishies and the big old nasty Bob.  So when building a fish deck I decided we needed creatures that would dodge the typical removal, darkblast, pyroclasm, massacre, and lava dart.  At this point I was watching a game of extended online and saw how huge a Werebear and Nimble Mongoose could get.  There we go, we figured it out, those would be base creatures, and now we just needed another one,  I started flipping though my type 1 crap looking for good creatures, when it happened.  A kid at our local store was trying to build a Critical Mass deck in type two and asked me if I had any Vinelasher Kudzus for trade.  I saw it right away.  The synergy with fetchlands, and stip effects.  We added him in and added in some FOWs, Brainstorms, and some Crucibles so we could keep replaying the lands.  After some testing we realized the Crucibles were actually not very good.  It would require too much of a mana investment, I would rather just keep stripping lands.  At this point we figured if we took an idea from extended we might as well take another and we tried the very good Life From The Loam.  With synergy with getting threshold and pumping your Kudzu's, it was a perfect fit.  At this point we tried the Ghost Quarters and they were never bad.  After even more testing we realized we sometimes had trouble getting the Life in the graveyard, and yet again we turned to the AggroLoam deck in extended, for none other than, Wild Mongrel.  He added another form of synergy with getting the lands back for the kudzu or just getting lands back to pitch to Mongrel to speed up a clock.  We now had too many creatures to run though, and we had to make a cut and unfortunetly the Werebear just couldnt make the cut. We then decided that with our opponents being so short on mana most of the time that Dazes would be good and they went in.  Keith Johnson suggested some explorations to allow even more Battlegrowths to Vinelasher.  When noticing we had no answer to DSC, Nate Pease suggested running White as well which gave us some Swords to run and very good board options.  So with everyones help we had a list ready to go...

4 Vinelasher Kudzu
4 Wild Mongrel
3 Nimble Mongoose

4 FOW
4 Daze
4 Brainstorm
1 Gush
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Timewalk
3 Life From The Loam
2 Exploration
1 Fastbond
1 Misdirection
1 Swords to Plowshares

3 Polluted Delta
3 Windswept Heath
3 Tropical Island
1 Tundra
1 Forest
1 Island
4 Wasteland
4 Ghost Quarter
1 Stripmine
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Saph.
1 Mox Diamond
1 Black Lotus

Sideboard

2 Swords to Plowshares
3 Ray of Revalation
4 Oxidize
3 Null Rod
3 Meddling Mage

So Friday night came and I was having doubts about the deck, and after a lengthy conversation with GI, he convinced me to play just a standard G-A-T deck.  Luckily I decided I would build it in the morning and after just 4 hours of sleep, when I got up at 8, I was far to tired to desleeve and build a new deck so I run what I had.  On with the report...btw, I have a bad memeory

Round 1  Dan Richardson w/ Highland WW Rebels

Dan was an amazing opponent. Great guy with a great deck and some balls to bring that to Waterbury.  Fun match.
Game 1 I get down two mongrels to his Silver Knight and Skynight Legionaire, he finds a Jitte and I am in a bad situation, luckily Life from the Loam keeps my puppies out of a Jitte range and I just run him over.
Game 2 I get a crazy aggro draw and Mongrel and Geese over take him after I take 16 from a Skynight Legionaire.

Win 2-0  (1-0 Overall, 2-0 Games)

Round 2  Dave Feinstein w/ UW Fish with Lions and Hounds OH MY!

Dave is a friend and a great player.  He made back to back pro tours and he is very proud of that, as he should be, I am glad to tell everyone that I was part of Pro Tour Hawaii.  Which I think is much better then PT Prague, and PT Charleston just because its in frigin Hawaii.  We both know what each other is playing so it will be a fun match.  Not sure how it should go because I know he has some Jittes coming in for me.

Game 1  He gets a quick start and I stabilize with two Mongrels while Im at 3.  I brainstorm and put back a Life from the Loam and keep a Kudzu in my hand.  On his next turn he attacks with three two power guys and I have to chump block but I messed up my brainstorm because I am forced to discard my Kudzu to keep my Puppies alive.  I lose a few turns later when he draws more guys and I dont
Game 2 I run over him pretty easily with a mongoose and threshold, hard to answer that little trooper.
Game 3 I keep dropping guys and they keep getting StP away, eventually I am about to stabilize but he drops a Jitte and thats the end of this match.

Loss 1-2  (1-1 Overall, 3-2 Games)

Round 3 Samuel Eddie w/ PitchLong

Game 1 He starts to go off and a daze spells doom for him.
Game 2 I board in some Rods and Mages.  I resolve a Rod and he resolves a Necro, and eventually a Will and it is not enough for him to win.

Win 2-0  (2-1 Overall, 5-2 Games)

Round 4 Nick Detwiler w/ B/W Aggro

Game 1 I don't remember much, he drops a Nantuko Shade which could be bad news but I manage to Waste and Strip most of his black mana.  He deals with my creatures and is on the road to winning but double Bob helps me win. GO BOB.
Game 2 I get the same waste/life action going and a couple Geese take it down.

Win 2-0  (3-1 Overall, 7-2 Games)

Round 5  Dan Carp w/ Oath

Game 1 I win the die roll and have an opening hand with Kudzu, Fastbond, two fetchlands, Gush, Timewalk...he doesnt have force and I kill him turn three or four.
Game 2 I am not sure exactly what he is playing but I have a good idea, in comes StP and Mage.  He goes broken turn one with ancestral timewalk, turn two he tinkers out a DSC and passes.  I have an StP in my hand and he now is at 30 life. A long road ahead.  I drop some dorks, strip some lands. and win a lot of turns later.

Win 2-0  (4-1 Overall, 9-2 Games)

Round 6 Willie Munch w/ 5c Stax

Game 1 I lead with forest, goose and he is utterly perplexed. I am holded three GQuarters, FOW and a blue card. I force a COW and waste him away.
Game 2 He leads with Shop, COW. I lead with emerald, oxidize COW, waste shop....he never recovers.

Win 2-0  (5-1 Overall, 11-2 Games)

Round 7 Pat Broderick w/ Control Slaver

Game 1 is going on for a while, he has cast nearly every brainstorm and TfK in his deck and is not finding much, I am meanwhile stripping and wasting him away while beating with a 3/3 goose.  I resolve a kudzu and get him up to a 3/3 while he is at nine. I have Life and three lands in my hand so I know I almost have him next turn.  He then tinkers.....DSC comes out....im in trouble. I might lose....I draw for turn...Fastbond. Play it and two turns later my Kudzu is now a 13/13 and swining into his 11/11 while my goose takes him down.
Game 2 Null Rod resolves and he draws nearly every mox and i take it down.  Bad luck for him, he drew almost nothing both games.

Win 2-0  (6-1 Overall, 13-2 Games

Round 8 Jeremiah Rudolph w/ Control Slaver w/MD Blood Moon

We ID and go scout out the rest.

ID (6-1-1 Overall 13-2 Games)

I end up in 5th place after swiss and have to play the 12th seed who is...

Top 16  Stephen Padinha w/ Control Slaver

Game 1 I play Windswept Heath and he stops, jokes and reads the card, I then fetch out a forest and drop a goose.  On my next turn I GQaurter his Island and he puts it into the graveyard and looks at me as I declare an attack.  On his next turn he comments on how he should read cards more often. A waste or two later and I put down game 1
Game 2 Null Rod comes down and waster takes him out. At one point he drops a Flametounge Kavu to take out a Mongrel but I am holding StP and Kudzu so I stabilize and win.

Win 2-0  (7-1-1 Overall, 15-2 Games)

Top 8 Roger Sorino w/ EBA (BUW Fish) Good Deck..

Game 1 He resolves a negator and is crushing me but his Bob give me hope as he reveals a FOW and a FOW in back to back turns to bring him to 5, but I lose.  First game loss since round 2
Game 2 I dont remember much about this game cept a nimble Mongoose avoids all kinds of removal and I get off a StP on his Negator on a key turn when he taps out, while he was holding three drains.
Game 3 He leads with Island go, I have nothing much so I decided to Ghost Quarter and much to my surprise he says, "Hmm How ironic, thats my only island..."  I am able to capitlize and drop some threats and am beating down, he makes a last effert and DTs for Recall and casts it but walks right into a Daze, a card he did not see game 1 or 2.

Win 2-1  (8-1-1 Overall, 17-3 Games)

Top 4 Ben Kowal w/ Control Slaver

Before this match up, Dave Feinstein comes up and mentions I should watch out for the Abyss. Take note.  After some seriously funny comments about sexuality we start this match.

Game 1 He goes first and goes ABSOLUTELY FRIGIN BROKEN...I lose.
Game 2 He is drawing cards while I cut his mana, I have some creatures in hand and know not to drop them until I find a Ray of Revalation for the Legends Enchant World card.  After I drop Null Rod, he drops the abyss.  I have him pretty locked out of his mana with no lands in play and just a bunch of artifact mana.  I find the ray, and drop guys and win game.
Game 3 He goes to the board again so I assume he is taking out the Abyss so I board out a ray for a Mage.  He mulls to 6, and seems happy about it, I am forced to mull and on 6 I decide to keep, FOW, Misdirection, Mystical Tutor, Daze, Lifefrom the Loam, GhostQuarter. My logic is any broken hand he has could easily be stopped by my hand.  He leads with Ancestrall...I Misdirect and it resolves. I draw FOW, Delta, Brainstorm. WOW, this is looking good. I drop land and pass.  He has more gas though as he goes land mox petal, tinker, I force and he is left with not much. I find a rod and a mongrel and it goes the distance.

Win 2-1  (9-1-1 Overall, 19-4 Games)

Finals Joel Brauer w/ Stax

I am a little upset I dont get to play Dave Feinstein again because I want revenge, I guess Ill just have to get revenge for Dave. NO ONE BEATS FEINSTEIN..and it should be easy as this is my best match.

Game 1 I go first and lead witha first turn Kudzu. A turn later his brother joins him and a couple turns later they take him down.
Game 2 He has a quick start but I have a quicker one with Kudzu and Fastbond. I am swinging away as he ramps his smokestack to two. He Imperal Seals for what I guess is Balance, but I have the GhostQuarter for his colored source. He decided to keep his mana crypt around while ramping smokestack and he dodged it for the first two turns it was in play. On his third turn he ramps to three which will wipe my entire board, but he is at 3 and I call even on the crypt and it comes up a 4 and thats it...

Win 2-0  (10-1-1 Overall, 21-4 Games)

Overall it was a great tournament, well run as usual and I think me and my friend Ross Merriam just stumbled across something that may be a new budget aggro deck to work on.  The only changes I have made since was cut the Mox Diamond, and the two exploration for the three Null Rods main to make it even more mana denial heavy.  Hopefully this willl spark some debate.  And now im off the the world of type two, to prepare for the NAC and take home even more money!

PROPS

Puff for telling me to add White to the deck
Ross for telling me to play the undertested deck because I felt like it
Feinstein for the heads up on The Abyss
Dan Richardson for playing a cool Highlander WW Deck
Todd P. for the Windswept Heaths and Trops
Ray Robillard for running a great tournament
Ben Kowal for casting Ancestral Game 3
Steve Houdlette keeping me up convincing me to change decks, making me so tired I couldnt build it

SLOPS

Mox Monkey for reading Windswept Heath but not Ghost Quarter
People that run only one basic land
Ray Robillard for not giving me a feature match when I was winning with KUDZUS!
Ben Kowal for trying to play footsies during our match
Black Lotus being old and played

Well let the discussions begin! See you all at the next TMD Open where you will get to see a VINELASHER KUDZU on a playmat next to a Windswept Heath and a BASIC FOREST.

THE FOREST WINS AGAIN!!

Team Perfect Scrubs, finally winning Loti
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 03:29:09 pm by amidtownrocker » Logged

Team Perfect Scrubs

"Con! Con! Con!"
G-A-T 177
Basic User

gro

untitled177
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 09:49:55 pm »

Great job!  If dryads couldn't make it into the t16, at least some sort of gro did.  Congratulations on the win and especially on the innovation.

-Josh

"Sprinkle some donkey powder and punch it to the skies"
tehmajickguy
Basic User

svgmizer
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 09:51:15 pm »

Gratz on the win, you were long overdue.

Team Perfect Scrubs: TMD Open 13 Winner
Purple Hat
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 11:32:43 pm »

Game 2 He is drawing cards while I cut his mana, I have some creatures in hand and know not to drop them until I find a Ray of Revalation for the Legends Enchant World card.  After I drop Null Rod, he drops the abyss.  I have him pretty locked out of his mana with no lands in play and just a bunch of artifact mana.  I find the ray, and drop guys and win game.

seems to me you have 7 outs to the abyss once you put the rays in, wouldn't you have been better off dropping dudes and beating down while waiting?

grats on the win man, stupid graduating from college and moving out of the northeast....now I'm a total scrub.

hale

"it's brainstorm...how can you not play brainstorm?  You've cast that card right?  and it resolved?" -Pat Chapin

Just moved - Looking for players/groups in North Jersey to sling some cardboard.
EotGiftsGG?
Basic User

putting "laughter" in slaughter..

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 11:35:37 pm »

Dave is a friend and a great player.  He made back to back pro tours and he is very proud of that, as he should be, I am glad to tell everyone that I was part of Pro Tour Hawaii.  Which I think is much better then PT Prague, and PT Charleston just because its in frigin Hawaii.  We both know what each other is playing so it will be a fun match.  Not sure how it should go because I know he has some Jittes coming in for me.

Game 1  He gets a quick start and I stabilize with two Mongrels while Im at 3.  I brainstorm and put back a Life from the Loam and keep a Kudzu in my hand.  On his next turn he attacks with three two power guys and I have to chump block but I messed up my brainstorm because I am forced to discard my Kudzu to keep my Puppies alive.  I lose a few turns later when he draws more guys and I dont
Game 2 I run over him pretty easily with a mongoose and threshold, hard to answer that little trooper.
Game 3 I keep dropping guys and they keep getting StP away, eventually I am about to stabilize but he drops a Jitte and thats the end of this match.

Actually i believe that you lost this match, because while your mana-base was two moxen, i call out (and jedi motion) "rip null rod". And then Back to  back wastelands THAT I CALLED!

Congrats rich! (you scrub)...

=P

GG's: cause cool points count..

Meandeck 4, Reflection 5, GGs 6, ICBM 8
(in a rut my ass) <3<3 lol
Nastaboi
Basic User

353787053 nastaboi@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 11:39:18 pm »

At least Mongoose can't be killed by Abyss. Have you thought about SB Wonder against all those aggro decks? Thanks for the report, nice deck.

Quote from: HungryHungryHeifer
Hahaha. I don't think that face quite suits my body!
Don't worry, it doesn't fit mine either.
Scoops666
Basic User

Guess I gotta enter my scoop phase.

Macsticky666
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 11:52:51 pm »

Gratz on the win man. Though I have to say, the end was extremey anti-climactic. I judged all day watching generic Slaver vs. Generic Long, etc. Finally the finals come with one of the most interesting decks at the tournament. AND A MANA CRYPT IS WHAT DECIDES IT!!!!

However, I really do mean it when I say congratulations on winning it all. Can't wait to wear a shirt that has Vinelasher Kudzu on it!

I actually had to explain to someone why Mana Drain was better than Counterspell. That was depressing...

Then they asked why Black Lotus was better than Gilded Lotus. I walked away.
Kowal
My name is not Brian.
Adepts
Basic User

Reanimate your feet!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 12:14:18 am »

Game 1 He goes first and goes ABSOLUTELY FRIGIN BROKEN...I lose.
Game 3 He goes to the board again so I assume he is taking out the Abyss so I board out a ray for a Mage.  He mulls to 6, and seems happy about it, I am forced to mull and on 6 I decide to keep, FOW, Misdirection, Mystical Tutor, Daze, Lifefrom the Loam, GhostQuarter. My logic is any broken hand he has could easily be stopped by my hand.  He leads with Ancestrall...I Misdirect and it resolves. I draw FOW, Delta, Brainstorm. WOW, this is looking good. I drop land and pass.  He has more gas though as he goes land mox petal, tinker, I force and he is left with not much. I find a rod and a mongrel and it goes the distance.

While both our memories are pretty fuzzy here, you've sharpened mine.  This is a little closer to what happened.

Game one, I draw some decent acceleration.  I brainstorm in to some good cards and cast them off the acceleration.  I find Time Walk rather accidentally which makes my turn three look pretty insane, but really it's only slightly better than average.
Game two, you wasted my first three land drops but I had Mox Jet, Mox Pearl, and Mana Vault.  When I drew The Abyss, I had no counterbackup for it but didn't have any other options--  It was either play it now, or wait for Null Rod to resolve and wish I had played it sooner.  At that moment you had neither Force nor Daze, which is what prompted me to consider Razormane instead--  If The Abyss had been him, I would have beaten you.  The very next turn you draw and play Null Rod, which I can't do anything about.  We sit there looking at eachother for about a half dozen turns, and I keep wishing you'd cast something so I could Mana Drain it and ramp high enough to win through the Null Rod.  Instead you have another strip effect, followed by the Ray and flashing three critters.  By this time, Mana Vault had reduced my life total from a healthy 17 to a miserable 4.
Game three I mulligan first, looking at Vampiric Tutor, Demonic Tutor, Island, Lotus Petal, Ancestral Recall, and Tinker.  I figure that's exactly the kind of business spells I want against you, so it's totally worth keeping.  From what I was told, you kept a hand of six featuring Ghost Quarter as your only mana.  I cast Ancestral and you misdirect it, putting you way ahead.  I figure it's worth the desperation maneuver since obviously stability is not an option here, and I play the Lotus Petal to cast Vampiric Tutor on your endstep, digging up Mana Crypt.  I go for Tinker off that and my Island and you had the Force of Will.  I don't draw any mana sources for the rest of the game.
Grand Inquisitor
Always the play, never the thing
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 06:11:05 am »

Congrats Rich!  A great win for you and TPS.

I'm glad you didn't take my push for GAT seriously and that you did end up running mogrels.  A very interesting list, and obviously expertly piloted.  Would you change anything going forward?

There is not a single argument in your post. Just statements that have no meaning. - Guli

It's pretty awesome that I did that - Smmenen
Chill79
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 07:50:24 am »

Any reason why you played 61 vs 60-card deck??

Collecting Pygmy Razorbacks: 446 total(17*AP,47*Foil,382regular)
Andreas
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 10:53:55 am »

Could you please explain what makes Ghost Quarter so good in the deck? If I understand the card correctly it is only really good against decks with no or very few basic lands.
Lou
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

'it never got weird enough for me'

fknlouwhoru ctaalc2
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 11:02:50 am »

Could you please explain what makes Ghost Quarter so good in the deck? If I understand the card correctly it is only really good against decks with no or very few basic lands.

It it good for what you posted, and it also gives Kudzu a +2/+2 bonus if used on your lands and can be used as a mana fixer for yourself.

Team Meandeck                                                         @louchristopher
Dominik
Basic User

Team Blitzkrieg: The Vintage Lightning War.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 11:22:48 am »

Hey, I just have a few questions:

1. From your testing, how well do you do against Ichorid? It seems that the matchup might be hard unless you can keep them off their bazaar and as long as they don't have a putrid imp. Would you consider adding in some additional GY hate in your SB the next time you play this deck?
2. What changes would you make to the sideboard now that you have played at a large tournament with this deck? Have you considered Energy Flux for the Stax matchup, or are the oxidizes enough? Have you tried Jitte for other Fish/Aggro decks? How did you like it? / Why did you not run it? Do you feel that you already have that much of an edge against aggro?
3. Would you change anything else in the MD other than switching around the 2x Exploration and 1x Mox Diamond for 3x Null Rod?

I also want to congratulate you on your win with this deck. It's always nice to see innovation in the format- especially the type that a lot of vintage players underestimated (Vinelasher Kudzu, that is). Daze is amazing in this deck, more so than in any other type of fish decks as it actually pumps Kudzu for you- and it can be fatal for your opponent if they run in to it unexpectedly (I've found that these along with Rods are the MVP's against Grim Long).
I look forward to your reply!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 11:28:44 am by Dominik » Logged

-Dominik

You don't take damage from the Arabian City of Brass.  You Suffer that damage.
Disburden
Basic User

Blue Blue, Drain you.

TheSkyScreams
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 12:09:09 pm »

Great job with the deck! Ghost Quarter is just nuts, and I thought it wouldn't ever be playable in Vintage. Gee, that's why I suck at innovation I guess..

Seriously, keep the posts on the deck coming. It looks quite powerful. A deck with 5 Strip Mines is nuts.

Unrestrict: Library of Alexandria and Burning Wish.

meadbert
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 01:22:21 pm »

Hey, I just have a few questions:

1. From your testing, how well do you do against Ichorid? It seems that the matchup might be hard unless you can keep them off their bazaar and as long as they don't have a putrid imp. Would you consider adding in some additional GY hate in your SB the next time you play this deck?
2. What changes would you make to the sideboard now that you have played at a large tournament with this deck? Have you considered Energy Flux for the Stax matchup, or are the oxidizes enough? Have you tried Jitte for other Fish/Aggro decks? How did you like it? / Why did you not run it? Do you feel that you already have that much of an edge against aggro?
3. Would you change anything else in the MD other than switching around the 2x Exploration and 1x Mox Diamond for 3x Null Rod?

I also want to congratulate you on your win with this deck. It's always nice to see innovation in the format- especially the type that a lot of vintage players underestimated (Vinelasher Kudzu, that is). Daze is amazing in this deck, more so than in any other type of fish decks as it actually pumps Kudzu for you- and it can be fatal for your opponent if they run in to it unexpectedly (I've found that these along with Rods are the MVP's against Grim Long).
I look forward to your reply!

This deck tears up Ichorid.  First of all the 9 strip effects are terrible for a deck so reliant on its Bazaars.  Second, Ichorid almost never has extra mana available so the Dazes are great for countering Brainstorm and any other draw effects.

Would a Maze of Ith have been better than Swords to Plowshares for DSC?  Maze can be Loamed back if it is dredged where as a dredged Swords is dead.  There is only one tutor that finds swords and Cropper can find Maze.  Just a thought.

Perhaps Bazaar might be better than Wild Mongrel.  They both discard Loam.  Bazaar gets madness sooner and with Loam you can draw an extra card each turn.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 01:27:35 pm by meadbert » Logged

T1: Arsenal
amidtownrocker
Basic User

Tony Danza, our Savior

amidtownr0cker
View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 03:28:35 pm »

Dominik, we didn't test the Ichorid match too much. As I see it though, it shouldn't be too bad because of our waste effects and being able to get a kudzu up over a 3/3 will be huge. In the future if it becomes a metagame dominant deck, we could run gy hate in the board.  On day two I tried some Pithing Needles in the board and they shored up a couple matches on that day.  Energy Flux is definetly not needed for the stax match, with oxidize and 9 strips, its hard for them to keep things on the board.  I did not consider Jitte because my creatures will most likely always be bigger than theirs, so I dont need to devote sideboard slots to that.  At the moment I would not make any other changes to the maindeck after adding in the null rods.

I am currently working on a newer updated list and plan on writing a longer post about the deck and card choices in it.. look forward to it.

Team Perfect Scrubs

"Con! Con! Con!"
Dominik
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 03:48:47 pm »

Just curious, how did you do on day 2? What did you face, and how well did you do in each of those matchups?

Thanks again for your reply!

-Dominik

amidtownrocker
Basic User

Tony Danza, our Savior

amidtownr0cker
View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 03:58:28 pm »

I was actually 4-2 going into the final round but dropped due to horrible breakers.  The deck performed welll again.  I beat MonoBlueControl only because of the Pithing Needles in the board (on Morphling). My first loss was to a straight Tog deck where he just  had the nuts game three of Tinker DSC, timewalk with double force back for my StP.  And I lost a CLOSE match to GrimLong when I made the right call with a Meddling Mage the turn after he Imp. Sealed for a bounce spell for my Null Rod, and I named Hurkl's Recall when he went for a Chain of Vapor.  Instead of dropping a second Null Rod.

Team Perfect Scrubs

"Con! Con! Con!"
Yare
Zealot
Full Members
Basic User

Playing to win

Yare116
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 05:06:59 pm »

Congratulations on breaking Ghost Quarter; I knew someone would do it.  Additionally, congratulations on the finish!
wicketsnatcher
Full Members
Basic User

wicketsnatcher
View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2006, 10:32:34 pm »

Congrats on the win, Rich.  Definitely much deserved.  It was awesome to come home and see that you pulled out the final match.

-J:tD
Andreas
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 04:09:09 am »

Have you ever considered running Intuition in the deck? If only to intuition for Life from the Loam, Strip Mine and an unimportant third card. And with Intuition (stealing from Extended here) maybe a single cycle land might be a good idea.
Tobi
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

Combo-Sau

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 05:26:32 am »

Have you ever considered running Intuition in the deck? If only to intuition for Life from the Loam, Strip Mine and an unimportant third card. And with Intuition (stealing from Extended here) maybe a single cycle land might be a good idea.

Insert a single Bazaar of Baghdad and Intuition for it together mit LftL and Strip Mine or Lonely Sandbar. Good move albeit slow.

2b || !2b
Dominik
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2006, 11:11:03 pm »

I'm also curious, have you thought about Kira, Great Glass-Spinner for the SB? It's really annoying when one of your creatures gets StP'ed, especially because you usually only get 1-2 out at a time (unless you're already kicking the crap out of your opponent) and this could really help. Just a thought I wanted to run by you.

Thanks again!

-Dominik

Gaagooch
Basic User

TPS

brokennflawed brokennflawed
View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2006, 02:20:50 pm »

Congrats on the win Mr. Meyst.  I would have been there if i could but due to the circumstances in which i was forced that was not at all possible.  You tried something new and it worked.  You went in with the good old TPS plan of not testing very much if at all, and as usual it worked.  Had i been there and been able to play we most def. would have also won the team championship. 

--Team Perfect Scrubs--

--I am the walrus..Goo Goo Gaagooch--
mrieff
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2006, 11:18:02 am »

Congratulations Very Happy

Would it make sense to play 1 Ranvica bounceland? These lands can returns themself and therefore have nice synergy with the Kudzu, only amplified with the Explorations.

And let's not even think about Kudzu/bounceland/Fastbond... :lol:
ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2006, 04:22:51 pm »

Oboro, Palace in the Clouds would be pretty good with Fastbond & Kudzu.

unrestrict: Freedom
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: