TheManaDrain.com
August 09, 2020, 02:54:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Results] Eudemonia Mox Sapphire [6/22]  (Read 5623 times)
Webster
Full Members
Basic User

The Ocho

psychatog187
View Profile
« on: June 22, 2008, 11:49:18 pm »

Twenty-five people showed up to demand satisfaction and lay claim to the crisp unlimited mox sapphire. After the dust settled from the swiss rounds, there were some notable prospects in the top 8. In the end, it was yours truely in the finals along with my partner in crime and asian cohort, JefftheFob. That's right people. Good 'ol rock. nothin' beats it.

Five swiss rounds followed by a single elimitation top 8.

Decklists can be found here at Eudemonia's website.

There is a feature match report by Eudemonia here.

Top 8:
David Ochoa (Grim Long) defeats Eric Campusano (UWB Bomberman).
Jeff Huang (UW fish) defeats Morgan Brewer (Control Slaver).
Stan Gin (Ichorid) defeats Cory Redmond (UR Landstill).
Dan Messineo (UR Painter) defeats Flavio Zelenka (Belcher).

Top 4:
David Ochoa (Grim Long) defeats Dan Messineo (UR Painter).
Jeff Huang (UW fish) defeats Stan Gin (Ichorid).

Top 2:
Split.

As everyone who hasn't had their head in the sand for the last three weeks should know, wizards unleashed its fury on our format during its goooooooooooolden age, AKA which gush deck am i going to play this time _ALTERNATIVELY_ 'the gush age', and did away with that nonsense by restricting flash, ponder, brainstorm, and merchant scroll. Needless to say, this upset people. I for one don't have feelings and didn't really feel like engaging in the enthralling discussion topics that ensued ranging from "Chromatic star: Behind the music; a story of power unchecked" to "Musings of solitude: when vintage players break off from the DCI".

While the vintage card-slingers were coming out of the woodwork to post their thoughts, my creative juices were flowing, literally. My nose has been running nonstop for weeks  Sad. Cards like accumulated knowledge, intuition, and mana drain which had become obsolete in the format due to better options were viable once again. I went into my lab to brew a masterpiece which would take the unsculpted metagame by storm and dominate it; and thus, Trinket Slaver was born:

3 trinket mage
3 goblin welder
1 gorilla shaman
1 sundering titan
1 triskelion
1 mindslaver
1 tormod's crypt
1 engineered explosives
1 sensei's divining top
4 force of will
4 mana drain
1 pyroblast
1 red elemental blast
4 thirst for knowledge
1 ancestral recall
1 brainstorm
1 gifts ungiven
1 yawgmoth's will
1 demonic tutor
1 merchant scroll
1 mystical tutor
1 time walk
1 tinker
7 solomoxen
1 mana crypt
3 polluted delta
2 flooded strand
1 tolarian academy
2 underground sea
4 volcanic island
4 island

Going into an unknown meta made me want to have access to some of the better safety nets in the game: tormod's crypt and mindslaver. I didn't really get too much testing done with this deck other than the control slaver mirror where it perfomed ok. It was a bit rough around the edges like most 'new' decks and I disliked a few other qualities, mainly its lack of duress and inability to go broken. Going broken is sweet.

About this time, Eric Becker posted his list for grim long...

As many people may know by now, I happen to play with dark ritual, a lot. Once the power of the ritual has shown itself to someone, they do not stray away very easily. I wanted to go broken, balls to the wall, using as many foils and expensive bad cards without proxying that I could get my hands on. Needless to say, grim long was my solution. I sleeved up the stock list and goldfished ....... and goldfished some more. After my sleeves were sticky from endless tendrils, I set out to make a gauntlet.

JefftheFob, being the arduous person that he is, is very difficult to get ahold of. Luis was also out of town at GP Indianappolis. However, it was providence which delivered free time for Fob and I to be able to meet up on Tuesday at my old stomping grounds, C&J's, to sharpen our wits and grasp the format in a stranglehold. I made a slew of decks: grim long, trinket CS, traditional CS, MUD, and UW fish. Fob wanted to build a deck based around counterbalance/sensei's divining top because it's a very powerful combination. We tinkered around with some lists and had settled on something that seemed decent. Unfortunately, the deck was not meant to be as Fob's love affair with null rod was rekindled after I unveiled my UW fish masterpiece. I made the UW fish list at home by rummaging through my stuff. I just started pulling cards out left and right while thinking:

"Standstill is a pretty sweet card. I have foils of those. We have a winner."
"Ninja of the deep hours is nice too, especially under standstill. Hmmm.... only have signed nonfoils of those. I guess three is ok then, not four."
"Mishra's factory is nice with both ninja and standstill. Man, this deck builds itself."
"I need more 1-cc drops to fuel ninja. What about flying men? Ew, those guys are too vanilla. We need more utility."
"Icatian Javelineers is nice; best card in Fallen Empires. Screw high tide and hymn to tourach. Plus, they kill bob and welder."
"Null rod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And that is."

Five minutes later I had created a monster. It was a truely original design... or at least a reinvention of the wheel.

With the rebirth of classic UW fish complete, I set out to meet Fob again. It was Thursday and with the tournament date looming on the horizon, I was eager to solidify my deck choice through a rigorous session of playtesting and analysis of every single deck archetype and variation within to determine the correct deck to play given likely choices of people assumed to be attending _OR_ as it really goes, bash Fob's artifact deck with my null rod deck and then switch it up to "trinket mage vs juggernaut: what is this guy thinking!!?!!!?!?ONE!?!?!ELEVENTYONE!?!?!". Of course, playtesting isn't just about the actual games; it's also about bouncing ideas off each other like theoretical forum-talk. We ended up content with the work accomplished and set out to do some more refined brewing at home.

Around this time or a bit before, Smmenen posted his sample list of grim long. I began to tinker more with each list and made some changes and continued goldfishing. I never kept track of how many games I played, but I know it was a lot. I'd been at it since the beginning of the week.

I'd settled on a maindeck, but I still needed to work out a sideboard. I also needed to take a break. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. I spent Friday at home cooking and hanging out with my sister which was nice to relax. I even said, "No." to going out with some friends to go bowling and watch 'The Hulk'. From the conversation with those friends, I found out that Saturday was a birthday for one of them. We'd be going out to eat and then playing rock band later. This completed my R&R regimen for the week and I came back at midnight on Saturday.

Booting up my computer, I checked TMD for tournament results from earlier in the day and saw one from the new england area. Apparently the tournament structure over there is "X-swiss rounds followed by a cut to top 7 + Rich Shay". Back on track.... I saw that there was a lot of control slaver in the top 8 (could I honestly expect _ANYTHING_ else from new england?) which was good considering my deck choice for the next day. I thought to myself, "Man, I need to make a sideboard still  Sad. I'll do it tomorrow morning."

So I wake up at 7:30 with my alarm set for 8:00. THANK YOU INTERNAL CLOCK. YOU SIR ARE A WINNER  Neutral. Time to finish brewing a sideboard:

"I need do bounce stax to oblivion that dodges chalice on 1. Hurkyl's recall. Check."
"Man, spheres are annoying. I want more land. Land is sweet. Island is a sweet card. Check."
"I guess there could be fish, goblins, and other assorted aggro strategies. I need a champion. I'm playing with tinker, so I guess the blue juggernaut works. +1 DSC."
"Fob is playing fish. GOTTA BASH HIM DI IN THE FINALS. +1 massacre."
"I guess ichorid probably wins on the play so I should have something against them. Leyline sucks. I'm playing with street wraith, topdeck tutors, and other generic search cards. Tormod's crypt should be there. I can tinker it in through chalice in theory. Jailer is pretty cheap also. Two cards. Awesome. MATCHUP SOLVED!"
"Hmm, magus of the moon might be bad when I'm on the draw. I have chains though. Fob is playing fish. Lightning bolt is good against magus _AND_ fish _AND_ is like lava axe when I'm going off. SWEET! Eh, dude. Let's be real here. You only have a few slots left. Sigh ok.... You lucked out this time Fob."
"Extirpate should be ok since there aren't many cards I care about and like to duress people before I nut them. Check."
"HMMMM, I need more duress. Thoughtseize might be doable since it also hits annoying men. I do not like annoying men. No sir, no I do not! Check."

After debating with three other people in my head, a concensus was reached for what I was going to duel with:

Grim Long 502.30:

3 Street Wraith

3 Grim Tutor   (1 Proxy  Sad)
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Imperial Seal
1 Vampiric Tutor

3 Duress
2 Chain of Vapor
1 Rebuild
1 Pact of Negation

2 Night's Whisper
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Memory Jar
1 Mind's Desire
1 Necropotence
1 Ponder
1 Time Walk
1 Timetwister
1 Tinker
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Yawgmoth's Bargain
1 Yawgmoth's Will

2 Tendrils of Agony

4 Dark Ritual
1 Cabal Ritual
1 Black Lotus
1 Lion's Eye Diamond
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mana Vault
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Sol Ring

1 Tolarian Academy
2 Bloodstained Mire
4 Polluted Delta
1 Badlands
1 Swamp
3 Underground Sea

Sideboard:
2 Thoughtseize
1 Darksteel Colossus
1 Massacre
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Yixlid Jailer
3 Extirpate
3 Hurkyl's Recall
3 Island

I carpooled with Fob up to Berkeley. We got there in record time somehow... There are so many insane drivers on the road right now. I'm suprised we weren't killed.

Round 1: Forgot your name. Sorry  Sad, Control Slaver 2-0.
Game 1 was pretty easy to win. His opener was bad for the matchup. Game 2 he played tinker for DSC on turn 1 but I had chain of vapor in my opener. He had sacrificed tormod's crypt to cast tinker and then played welder on the following turn. He attacked with welder and played another. I combo'd him off with will on my turn. Sometimes welder would be better as a 0/1.

Round 2: Austin Martinez, UWB Bomberman 1-2.
I forgot what happened in games 1 and 2. Game 3 I duress him and see ancient tomb, mox sapphire, dark confidant, time walk, merchant scroll, thirst for knowledge. He only has underground sea in play. I take mox sapphire, setting up for a win in 1-2 turns. He plays ancient tomb, time walk, untap, lotus, salavagers, and combos me out after having to find lotus again when he doesn't return it before playing timetwister. Such is life.

Fob, Mike Klemic, and I go to get lunch with 23 minutes left at Dollar Curry. I got a nice lamb dish + rice for a hefty bill of 3.78. Concerned about time, Fob and Mike got their food to go. I was not as concerned at ate there. Much HAUMPHING ensued. I finished before they got their bags. That's a bit of irony and justice mixed in. We got back with a few minutes to spare before round 3 pairings were posted.

Round 3: Marco Bareno, Confidant Tendrils 2-1.
I figure he's playing one of the lists that 13Nova or JACO posted. I thought it had force of will in it but I guess he didn't. This ended up costing me game 1 as I grim tutor for desire, setting up a desire for 6 powered out by academy. He played academy on his turn which just wrecked me. I never drew another blue source and he combo'd me out two turns later. Game 2 he mulligans to 6 and my opener is: polluted delta, necropotence, grim tutor, yawgmoth's will, dark ritual, ponder, thoughtseize. I am still working under the assumption that he has force in his deck so I thoughtseize him. His hand is: tendrils of agony, thoughtseize, underground sea, ponder, black lotus, X (Marco might remember). I take his lotus because I don't want him to draw into a broken play. He thoughtseizes me and takes dark ritual. I draw mox jet and ponder into a second dark ritual. Jet, ritual, grim for lotus, lotus, will, lotus, ritual, ritual, grim for tendrils, tendrils. Nice game. Game 3 I do some stuff and timetwister on turn 2 floating BBU. I draw into a mox, tendrils, thoughtseize, duress, extirpate, X, Y. I decide to tendrils him for 14 (him down to 3, putting myself up to 31) instead of duress + thoughtseize/extirpate because it would put more pressure on him to win next turn. He tries to go off playing sapphire, cabal ritual, sol ring, cabal ritual, vampiric tutor, draw with sensei's top, thoughtseize me. At that point, I show him my hand, wait for a moment and turn my thoughtseize around so it's facing him and point to the "lose 2 life" portion with my pen and then at his life total pre-thoughtseize of 1.

Round 4: Brett Allen (hiryu), Control Slaver 2-0.
He had to mulligan more than once and drew lots of land. The match was pretty uninteresting and frustrating for him.

Round 5: Galen Lemei (Aarkshark), Drain Tendrils 1-1.
I am paired down. Game 1 I mulligan to 5 and grim tutor on turn 2 setting up for desire on turn 3 for a lot after baiting some countermagic. Game 2 drags on after he is able to set up a yawgmoth's will faster than I had anticipated because of a mana drain that he drew the turn after I duressed him. The game goes so long that time is called right as it ends and we cannot begin game 3.

Top 8: Eric Campusano (campee), UWB Bomberman 2-0.
Eric is old school. He's been playing magic for a lot longer than I have. That being said, I feel somewhat bad for him because he never wins against me because my cards have generally been better for the situations we've been in. Game 1 I have turn 1 necropotence on the draw. I necro down to 8 so I can play grim tutor, grim tutor, fetchland on my next turn and win. His draw after my necro was force of will. Rough beats  Confused. Game 2 he mulligans to 6 and I have duress, duress, ancestral recall, swamp, underground sea, mana vault, night's whisper as my opening 7. My first duress takes his thirst. He scrolls for ancestral. I duress it and play my own. I set up a desire for 8 but my revealed yawgmoth's will is trumped by his crypt in play. I only get to brainstorm and play street wraith after chaining my mana vault and pearl back to my hand. I had put bargain on top of my deck with brainstorm. I draw down to 1 life (about 12 cards), play some mana acceleration, and wheel of fortune, keeping exactly enough mana to cast massacre and not burn in case he had drawn a counter; he hadn't. Wheel resolves and I play demonic tutor for extirpate on his stifles followed by tendrils of agony which I had wheeled into.

Top 4: Dan Messineo, UR Painter 2-1.
Game 1 I set up a desire for a lot. Game 2 I made a poor decision. I play into REB/force (he had REB) and then resolve necro next turn. He has welder and platinum angel in play so I necro down to 11 so that I don't die to time walk. I chain in my end phase and he has the REB. I should have waited to extirpate his REBs and then go off with desire, chaining at the end after revealing a duress effect. My poor decision was punished when he played trinket mage for crypt. I had cycled my rebuild and sideboarded 1 chain out so I couldn't remove angel from play. At this point in time, Fob asks what game I'm on. I reply in a somewhat disgusted and dejected tone, "THREE... What about you?" He said back, "Waiting for you."

Game 3 was one of those hands: Black lotus, mox sapphire, mox pearl, sol ring, bloodstained mire, extirpate, grim tutor. I can try to nut him turn 1 with a draw 7 or set up for a desire in a few turns. I would have to draw into a second blue and would be 1 mana short still so I decide to go for the nuts.

Black lotus, mox pearl, grim tutor (B floating) for wheel of fortune, sapphire, sol ring, bloodstained mire --> badlands, wheel (B floating).

Wheel resolves! I went for wheel over timetwister for a few reasons. If he didn't have force, then he must have had a strong hand which gives me more of an incentive to make him discard it as opposed to shuffling it back in and potentially drawing some of those cards again. Wheel helps with threshold for cabal ritual. The cons of playing wheel over timetwister being that if he does have force, drawing wheel is better later on since he has REBs. Discarding his hand can lead to potential abuse from goblin welder to cheat something into play. Back to the game. Off of wheel, I draw:

lotus petal, mox emerald, cabal ritual, ponder, night's whisper, chain of vapor, land.

I go to announce cabal ritual and look over to my graveyard. There are only 6 cards in there so I hold up midway through announcing it. Needless to say, Dan wanted me to cast cabal ritual. I knew that I'd win that argument considering current DCI policy. Ryan, our judge, agrees. I play:

mox emerald, lotus petal, sacfrifice it for U (UB floating), cabal ritual off emerald + B (with threshold, UBBBBB floating), duress (UBBBB) --> see no force, night's whisper (drawing grim tutor + mana vault, UBB floating) chain of vapor my sapphire, sacrificing badlands to copy and bounce my pearl (BB floating), sapphire, ponder (seeing dark ritual, X, Y --> draw/play dark ritual, BBBB floating), pearl, mana vault, grim tutor (2BB floating). Game. Yeehaw.

Top 2: Jeff Huang (JefftheFob), UW fish. Split.
I want to bash Fob in the finals because of previous testing results. I have a higher probability of mising. I am a compassionate friend though so we split. We take the sapphire and go get some food. NEXT TIME THAT MASSACRE WILL HAVE A HASH MARK ON IT!

I would say that the deck is very good. Of the games that I lost, I would say that almost all of them were lost because of playing a bit too conservatively and not remembering exact lists. Had I played them over, I am confident that I would have only lost one game (Austin G3) total.

Props:
-Dark ritual.
-Dollar curry, facilitating scrumptous 20-minute lunch breaks since 2008.
-Me, for winning again... it doesn't get old; trust me.
-Wizards. Thank you for the format.
-Vince for showing up to chat. He's been unreal busy and hasn't had any free time.
-The thai place adjacent to Eudemonia for serving me a dish hot enough to make me want to order it again.
-Trading. It's such an artform.
-The weather, for finally cooling down to a reasonable 80*F.
-Stan, for finding time to be able to play again.

Slops:
-People who didn't show up. There really isn't a format that's more fun to play than vintage. Get out to these and support them.
-Ignorant people riding on BART trains who only help facilitate racial stereotypes due to being raised in a terrible environment.
-Being charged $0.50 extra to get your food to go.
-Bongo Burger for not being open on Sundays. Oh how you torment us.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 01:18:20 pm by Webster » Logged

jeffthefob
Basic User

Mise.

jeffthefob
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 03:41:01 am »

Fish, good ol’ Fish.  The last time I played Fish in the brainstorm era I did fairly well.  Top 4’ed with it in Sacramento Jet tourney.  But after playing Fish that tourney I decided to play with Gush + Merchant scroll + Yawg will just because they are powerful.  I had a fair success with GAT earlier this year until Tyrant Oath came on to people’s attention (damn Euro XD).  Top 8’ed with GAT at the last Eudo. Tourney but failed to write a report because I am still crying in the corner drawing circles after getting NUT’ed twice by a Flash player during quarterfinals.

So after gunning gush.dec in the Sacramento Time Walk tourney where I lost playing for top 4 against Workshop (h8 h8 h8, DI h8) Webster and I went to the shop where we first met (and was once a mecca for NorCal Type 1 scene) C&J’s for some major post banning testing.  Luis, being the “Magician”that he is, has to attend some wimpy huge GP at the other coast and as a result isn’t available for testing, T_T.

Web made mono Brown, Trinket Control Slaver, Grim Long mainly to help me test what I wanted to play.  I had “brewed” up a U/B Fish list that was inspired by Becker’s “Counter-Top Magus.”  Becker described his deck as a better “Bomberman,” but I changed the deck to a Fish skeleton with Stifles and Waste Effects instead of going on a more control route.

The deck showed very good results, it consistently Control Slaver (piloted by Web obv obv obv) and if the deck can set up CB-Top against Grim Long then it is good.  I had many games where I have a Grey Ogre (Trinket Mage) beating down for 6+ turns because of CB-Top.  CB-Top isn’t just some legacy combo, it is pretty decent in type 1 too.  It was roughly 40-60 to Grim Long's favor, forgot exact details, but it got games.

The U/B Fish basically have 4 Stifle, 4 Wastes, and 6 Duress effects, playing against it is very annoy.  Oh, and of course, I went like 3-7 against Mono Brown (some record like that… maybe 2-7), it bends over to workshop game 1; we didn’t test sideboard.  The U/B deck also got game against Ichorid as I have Needle + Crypt main along with 4x Leyline and 2x Jailer from the board.  Basically I was very ready to play this deck, another easy way to describe it is like SS but instead of Erayo + Cutpurse, it is CB + Top.

Before I move on, for those of you that know me (like the number of you that knows NorCal magic scene, hopefully) know I loved U/W Fish.  I had a huge amount of success with it last year and I just loved Null Rod.  Null Rod is fucking sick, the backbone of Fish and the fair card used to fight against unfair decks.  And prior making U/B Fish, I revamped a U/W Fish list and played 10 or so games against LSV playing Slaver, needless to say, Null Rod is a fucking beating against him.  I had games where Null Rod + Dog (Isamaru) just went the distance.  While testing with Web I made the comment about “Man, if there is Null Rod in play, it would be so good, against both you and me.” Just that every game we played I can make a comment about how backbreaking Null Rod is.

Seeing my weakness, Web, being the true gay Fish master he was when Fish first appeared in type 1 “BREWED” up a masterful list to test against me.  Basically I am testing U/B Fish against Null Rod.  Oh man, I got crushed DI.  To make the testing “more accurate,” Web basically had the Null Rod EVERY GAME we played and proceed to crush me with it.  The CB-Top engine was shut down, my Moxens went GG and life is sad for Fob.  Well, to be fair, he just happened to drop Null Rod more than I dropped them (***envy*** XD).  After teaching me a lesson my desire for hot sexy Null Rod reemerged.  I KNOW I AM DESTINED TO PLAY NULL ROD IN MY NEXT TOURNEY. (Serious speaking, it is a race to see who can resolve their stuffs faster, Rod. Vs. CB-Top, but the U/W Fish is just so much more aggressive and Rod require only 1 piece ‘combo’ that make U/W Fish a much favorite.)

Oh, I am sure Web is going to talk something about the process about building the deck, so I will that up for him.  But you guys remember WUTANG Fish? Oh yeah, it was almost exactly like the list Jason Zheng’s played back in…05? To include some details of Web’s “BREWING” process, I will include some quotes…

“Yeah, I made this list in like 10 min. going through my foil cards and take out whatever is ‘SWEET”
“It doesn’t have Jotun Grunts, I just forgot about those.”
There were more sweet quotes, but I forgot them XD XD XD

Basically Web’s list that he “brewed” is very similar to Jason Zheng’s list in 05’ but I honestly didn’t know that till I dug U/W Primer thread by Feinstein and some other Gay /r Thread in search function of TMD while tuning the deck.  Web’s process of making the Fish basically took literally 10 minutes and the only source he had was his brain + his foil/foreign aka. sweet cards, no internet no nothing.

I fell in love with the deck, or aka: Null Rod.  And I decide to run the following list.

2 Savanah Lion
2 Isamaru, Hound of Konda
3 Icatian Javelineers
4 Meddling Mage
3 Ninja of the Deep Hours
3 Daze
4 Force of Will
2 Stifle
4 Standstill
3 Null Rod
2 Swords of Plowshares
2 Echoing Truth
1 Time Walk
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Sapphire
4 Tundra
4 Flooded Strand
2 Island
1 Plains
3 Wasteland
1 Strip Mine
3 Mishra's Factory
2 Polluted Delta

BTW: This list was a mistake.  I should had cut that Delta for either a 4th Factory or 4th Wasteland.  This was an honest mistake because from the prior experience I had with Fish there I had more color source with Fetchlands.  I know in my mind that I won’t be playing with 4x Waste and 4x Factory, so I ended up cutting a Factory for Delta.  The original list Web made had only 3 Waste Effects to prove my worry about getting mana screwed.  Of the 10 games that I played against Web, 2 games he lacked right color mana and once he was flooded.  The mistake was made because I am no longer playing 4x brainstorm, this make Fetchlands less attractive and not needed as much, I honestly think that this deck can operate with 4x Factory and 5x Waste Effect as shown by Zhang’s success.  This was the drawback from playing something that was payment despite we done DI testing.  Well, Web and I took a little break on Friday and Saturday ^_^

The maindeck is not only sweet but also ran very smoothly.  The only "problem" is that throughout the whole tourney I constantly thought to myself “what if this had been a wasteland or factory” when I draw my polluted Delta.  The answer is 90% “Yes” after taking look at my graveyard post games.  Again, more testing need to be done and it depends on your balls/comfort level.

I brewed the SB myself:
4 Leyline of the Void
4 Energy Flux
2 Umezawa's Jitte
3 Spellsnare
2 Swords to Plowshares

The Leyline is there against Ichorid, although admittedly 4x Leyline is the bare minimum and is probably not enough, but I can’t just go down without a fight.  4 Flux was against Workshop obv, deck is very aggressive and Flux aren’t 2cc.  Again, the interesting thing is that this deck doesn’t BEND over to Chalice @2… so Kataki may be good enough… Jitte is there to teach other Fish deck a lesson (**Cough** Campee/Campusano **Cough** ^_^) and as well as other aggro decks.  I want to have 4x STP post board against again aggro but against Painter.dec + Painters.

The last inclusion was the spellsnares to battle drains and Oath.  To be honest, I expected people to board out Drains post board but I had a fair share of Snaring Drains at the tourney.  Spellsnare is also something I board in against CS to counter postboard Pyroclasm and Fire/Ice aside from the usual 2cc spells.

The SB was okay, but I felt like it can be improved.  A lot of the cards I have sort of overlapped with each other, ie: Stp and snares are both options against Painter.  I felt like SB need to have some gamebreaking/uber effect, but I didn’t feel like my post SB games were that much better.  It can be that I am playing Fish, not the most powerful deck there is and that this SB needs some work.  I felt like this SB needed some work.

I am probably going to start a thread on the Open Forums discussing possible builds of Fish… But my “experienceS” sort of giving me 2nd thoughts :-p I am sure I am not going to play any chromatic stars in my deck. (sorry mmmmbraskiiii) I will get it done after this ^^ Anyways, Null Rod is such a powerful card I am just surprised that not a lot of people really mentioned it (well they did, briefly in the thread) but didn’t make a deck out of it.  And maybe this is why I suck at magic/vintage, I choose to play more “fair” decks.  There are a number of very decent people on the forums whom probably will never play Fish because it is “fair.” Dark Rituals vs. Savannah Lions, com’on Fob!!!!!!!11111oneone… (k, I went bit ranting sorries). 

Although I must admit, I was happy playing with Flash and GAT, and I did play both for a period of time, playing with broken cards were really nice and when I played Fish again I was like... Yawg. Will is so good... and eventually went back to play GAT again) <3 Contradict myself hahaha.

So it was decided, Fish it is.  I even titled my deck name as, “Sigh! Fish.”  Web ended up playing Grim Long which surprised me, but Web had been a fucking monster at these tourneys lately, whom am I to complain what he plays.  And look, Grim Long is broken.

Last year’s Sapphire tourney was a very sweet one.  GAT and Flash appeared the vintage scene and Web was piloting the less fruity one while I piloted the other at last year’s tourney.  I had many turn 1/2 kills with counter back up running one side of the top 8 bracket while Web gushed DI at the other and we met in the finals.  Hoping the exact same thing will repeat this year.  Only it was harder for me because I am playing a fair deck -_-

Rd 1 John- U/R Painter (2-1)
Game 1: I mulled to 6 on the draw.  My 6 isn’t all that spectacular and his draw was much stronger than mine; he kind of went on autopilot.  Losing the die roll sucked, it would had definitely changed the board situation of the game.  My two standstills were REB’ed (Ouch T_T) and FoW’ed, so my draw engine was shut down.  He then Mysticals for Tinker and I was facing a big tin man.  The superior armed white man then trampled the Asian man fighting with sticks and rocks in no time.  Cat + Dog can’t compete with Tin Man as it turns out…

Game 2: I mulled to 6 on the play.  Again, my 6 wasn’t pressuring him at all, but I found a Null Rod + Cat off from the Standstill that he broke.  And guess what, it went the fucking distance.  Null Rod practically shut him down and boy, this isn’t the first time you will read this.

Game 3: I had a good draw with Lotus.  And thank god I didn’t mull too 6.  I was able to drop a Mage naming something I forgot and Null Rod turn 1.  And again, Null Rod shut his mana base down a lot, along with stifles and wastelands.  I had a sick brainstorm where I brainstormed into Time Walk + FoW, and the white weenies went the distance along with the Null Rod.

Rd 2 Junior Cervantes- Ritual Combo (2-1)
Game 1: Junior named his deck “Fob Crusher,” and beat me at Sacramento’s Time Walk tourney, so time for some revenge.  It wasn’t looking so good for me when he went Mox, Sol Ring, Land, and Tinker… But instead of facing Tin Man, he got Jar, must be… My hand was: Time Walk, Stifle, Null Rod, Factory, Tundra, Stripmine, Dog, it was a legit 7.  I draw into echoing Truth ^^”, and I went mox + tundra, Time Walk.  Drawing a Delta (Factory or Wasteland would had been fine here) then played factory turn 2 casting Null Rod with Stifle up.  I left Stifle up instead of playing the Stripmine was because this way I can shut down more if his mana source.  Null Rod handles the onboard Sol Ring + Moxen he topdecks, and Stifle can own his Fetchlands.  I ended up stifling his fetch and strip his land and he failed to cough up lands and I went the distance.

Game 2: This games shows that my SB need some improvement as I didn’t have much for him, I ended up bringing some spellsnares and took out StP/Echoing truth because he played with cabal rituals.  He could had potentially board in Bob, but I am not so sure.  And speaking of the game, I wasn’t able to put much pressure on him and didn’t resolve a Null Rod.  Junior went down to 14 from my beatings and stormed DI and tendril me for 20+.

Game 3: I had a very similar hand to game 1 and the result of the game looks like game 1. I landed early Null Rod, Waste/Stifle effect back up and my animal and its tamer went pecked him to death.

So, of the 4 games I won, it was off from Null Rod.  I would just like to point it out, and this was exactly what came out of testing with Web, “if there is Rod in this situation, oh boy oh boy…”

Rd 3 Dan Messineo- UR Painter
Game 1: Painter seems like a powerful strategy.  I was actually doing somewhat decent in the beginning as I stifle + waste his land, but I drew 3 lands in a row (and yes, Polluted Delta was drawn TWICE in this game) and he topdecked a Lotus and went nuts with 2x Trinket Mages to clog up the ground.  After I got rid of them it was a couple turns later where a Painter stuck.  It turns out Lumengrid Warden is good at fending off Cat/Dog/Jav. After he REB’ed my Mage on Tinker, he tinkered Grindstone and grinded my ass into pieces.

Game 2: He mulled to 5.  I dropped early Null Rod.  Justice.  Justice = Null Rod.  I then dropped 2x Jav. and drew a Dog next turn and they went in.  Yeah, Dan’s hand was just bad, my luck.

Game 3: He mulled to 6, so did I.  He turn 1 Welder, I FoW.  Then he UNLOAD his hand, mox, crypt, academy, TRIKE!  I was unfazed and played Mage naming Trinket Mage and Dog.  We are in a top decking war, and I lost as he ripped Duplicant the very next draw.  Duped by Mage, and the Trike. pwnzed me.  I was bit frustrated, but I the Dollar Curry filled up my stomach and while ranting to Web about my loss he told me “Dot Fobz…. Win~~~~~” So I am like, “aight, see you in top 8 sir.”

Rd 4 Galen- Drain Tendrils

Game 1: I played guys, they bashed.  I didn’t really even Ninja in my dorks because my dorks were dealing 2 damages.  I did Ninja in returning a Jav. though, because Jav. doesn’t do 2 damages.  I think Galen resolved a Yawg. Will this game, but he wasn’t able to abuse it all that much.  And oh yeah, I dazed a FoF, and it was… sweet.

Game 2: I def. should had Mull’ed this hand, but I punted.  I literally just punted.  My hand was wasteland, tundra, POLLUTED DELTA (god!), Flooded Strand, Stifle, Spellsnare, and Ancestral.  This hand didn’t really have much business other than the ancestral, but unprotected.  Maybe I was thinking I can stifle + waste his lands while I developed my hand, however, he could had drop Moxen.  Of course, my deck punished me by coughing up more lands and Galen Accumulated Knowledge for 4, Ancestraled himself, and just outdrew me DI.  Eventually he just killed me hard.

Game 3: During game 2 I realized his deck is actually hard to combo off, he can’t go really broken.  His Yawg. Will plays are just… subpar, no rituals, and if he has to go broken, he got to have Lotus with it.  With that said, his deck can draw a lot of cards, so I know I have to keep aggressive hand.  And well, Mox + Tundra = Mage on Drain certainly served his purpose.  Named Drain so I can resolve my Null Rod or Cat next turn as I didn’t have Snares.  I led off with Cat next turn and he was thinking FoW and ultimately let it go.  And his Fow was used at the Null Rod which I tried to resolve.  He got a top out, and started spinning.  But I had a lot of pressure on board already so I didn’t even cast anything, kept the Ninja in my hand for FoW.  He tried to Mystical for Yawg. Will which I let resolve because my draw step was very kind for me and gave me FoW.  Again, his Yawg. Will is going to net him more cards, it was hard for him to tendril me out, his best chance is probably Tinkering out a guy, but I had that covered as I had echoing truth in my hand as well.

Web beat Marco at end of the Round and it was sweet times Very Happy Both of us in the T8.  But it wasn’t really meant to be as Web got paired down because his TB was low >< Webster worked his magic to the top 8 nevertheless XD

Rd 5- Belcher- ID

Quarterfinal Morgan Brewer Control Slaver. –Got featured matched.
Game 1: Morgan was aspired by the NE results and played CS.  He won the die roll. Went turn 1 TfK off from 2x Mox.  I had an unexcited play of turn 1 Jav. which awe everyone watching the match.  He went land, and played 2nd TfK, sad time for me as the Daze in my hand stares at me.  I went turn 2 Mage naming Drains (which he obv. had XD).  He then went for another TfK!!! He was up on so many cards on me and I was just… sad.  He then tried to resolve a slaver I think which I Dazed, yeehaw~~ Then I had to FoW pitching standstill on another spell.  And there goes my hand. 

Next turn he played a welder.. signaling he had another one in his hand and it wasn’t looking good because he got 2 mox from his turn1 play and with slaver in yard.  After my Jav. killed the 3rd Welder of the day and switched to a Ninja, my deck failed to cough up answers to Welder.  And he proceeds to slave me.  But my hand was crap, had nothing but dorks.  Well, he topdecked a Standstill at my slaved turn, so unfortunate.... so he ancestral himself and I thought I am so dead because he is going to slave me again.  He did exactly that and forced me to Ninja my Mage on Drain and then Echoing Truth my 2x on board Ninja back to my hand and made my Jav. shot himself in the foot.  He then played a 4th Tfk.  I was like...

Then I started replaying my guys again, couple of them got drained of course, but despite drawing DI, his deck failed to cough up more artifacts and robots.  I then slowly crawled back in the game removing the Welder and played dorks.  And slowly, I ran him over with dorks.  On his last ditch effort he drained two of my spells and needed to topdeck something good, but he drew a mystical and that was that.  This game was insane as he drew off from 4x TfK + 1 Standstill and still can’t kill me.

Game 2: Unfortunately I don’t remember minor details of the game.  I know that I was beating him down with a dork + factory and he wasn’t able to draw much stuff.  I had Snare, stifle, and daze in my hand while applying pressure.  I am unsure if I resolved a Null Rod this game, and if I did, that could had just been it.  I am going to check the feature match report when it comes out.

Semifinals Stan Gin- Manaless Ichorid.
Game 1: Stan haven't played magic in a while, he was just happy to be here playing.  He was playing Ichorid, a very bad match up for U/W Fish, but I know what I had to do.  I have two plans.  Plan A: him mulling DI.  Well, he kept his 6, that plan didn’t work.  Plan B: Win die row, get stifle + wasteland in my opener or set up for it.  I won my die roll Very Happy My opener was very nice as it contain the two proxy card that we didn’t win over the last year.  I led off with Lotus, Ancestral, but failed to draw into stifle, so I played turn 1 Mage naming Emerald Charm because I know he ran 4 of those.  It was stupid by me because I should have name Cabal Therapy or Dread Return, just… yeah… I am a dumbfuck and I just thought I am about to lose the game because Plan A and B both failed. 

He started with Leyline, to my surprise, he didn’t discard any dredgers; he discarded 2x Ichorid and BfB I think....  Oh wow, Plan B sort of worked so I immediately wasted his land and start bashing.  And the ladyluck was on my side as I drew Stifle turn 2 with Strip in my hand.  I started bashing him and he just drew and pass the turn and got to the point of discarding.  However, he didn’t have any dredgers and it was looking bad for him.  He eventually discard another Ichorid and brought it back so he can Cabal Therapy me off from the City he played.  I couldn’t had stifle his Ichorid because there were 2 >< And I was thinking shooting my Jav. himself in the foot to “remove” the BfB.  Btw: there was Leyline on his side.  But I didn’t do that as I Ninja’ed in a dork to deal even number of damage.  So yeah, I was pretty rusty at my Fish play (or just plays in general), definitely not as sharp as before.  His 2x Token just traded with 2 of my dorks but I still have 2 more 2-powered dorks in the form of Factory + Cat.  I got the unbelievable game 1.

Game 2: Game 2 I got 3 plans.  The first 2 plans are the same.  The third plan is to play Leyline and protect it with Daze/Fow.  Well, he serum powered and Plan A was looking good, then he powdered again and I am like “YAUS.” But then he kept his hand so Plan A went bye bye.  MY OPENER WAS “SICK!” FOW, 2x Mages, Mox, Fetch, Factory, and Daze.  Basically it was a decent hand, but not against Ichorid.  So I mulled.  I mulled into Leyline + Daze + Tundra + Jav + Ninja + Stifle.  Oh wow, Plan C, coming alive!

And boy, this game was so odd.  I led off with Leyline and he activated Bazaar digging for answer.  I played turn 1 Jav drawing a FoW.  He played a City so my Daze plan is still okay till he played a petrified field turn 3.  I topdecked a Lotus so I hardcast the Ninja in my hands and he went Contagion on my dorks.  At this point I could had FoW to save my guys but I ultimately decided not to because I think it was being too greedy; turns out greed would had got me there.  But my logic was that Daze is no longer useful, and I need to find another FoW or Waste Effect, which there would be 7 left.  I don’t know, it was a close call I think.  But I just decide to went safe route.

After contagion he played Thug, which I Dazed.  He then play another land and played Stinky Imp! He played another one after that! I know where this is going, but I know if he want to go beatdown on me I have way more guys than him.  So he started pecking me but I drew Factory and Dog.  Anytime I drew a 2nd Ninja I can Ninja him out of my contagion Ninja, I know I was in good shape.  I also have StP to draw and echoing Truth as well.  It turns out he didn’t draw a leyline removal during the creature fights, I got more dorks than him and overwhelmed him.

So yeah, I 2-0’ed Ichorid, which is something I never though I would do with U/W Fish.  It is just…. wow.  I turned over to Web, asking what game he was on, he sighed heavily and said g3 and asked me the same question.  I replied, “Waiting for you.”

And the wait was over after Web went all-in turn 1 kill that would get boned by FoW as it turns out.

I would like to spend a minute here to support my buddies.  There are a ton of people, esp. when I was playing in the quarterfinals (I think, and generally just throughout the whole day) complaining about how lucky Web and LSV is.  How that they always draw the nuts against them and etc. etc. etc.  I must admit, they do draw the nuts at times, BUT SO DO WE.  There are also two things to keep in mind.  They are constantly playing a broken deck and more importantly their PRECISION and LOGIC.  I have played Magic with these 2 players for a long time, late 2002/early 2003.  I have played magic with Luis before his so called “breakout” with Cheon.  I have not seen much players playing at their logic and thinking level.  Trust me, I definitely cried DI times about how “lucksack” they are.  Constant results show something and it is time to stop crying foul. 

Yes, Web had made the finals of last couple NorCal tourneys.  Yes, Web definitely got lucky in some of his match because of various reasons.  YES, Web lost a round in the swiss in the last two tourneys; he even scooped to LSV in the Pearl I think.

I can also mention about Brainstorm, but I think I will leave that out.  But Brainstorm was a card that they abused more than any other players. 

Despite top 4 and top 8’ing and was playing for top 8 constantly at these tourneys, I didn’t really go out there and win it.  It is nice to have buddies, but I would like to contribute more.  This tourney I not only did that but did it with a deck I loved, U/W Fish.  Going broken is good, but if Null Rod sticks, then life can be tough at times.  Overall, I am just happy that I did very well with a deck that I <3.

History repeated itself as Web and I split in the finals of a Sapphire tourney.  Afterwards we got rid of the Mox and went to Thai food next door because being the Asian I am, I wanted rice.  I then went back to Davis and played PIU (Pump It Up) 5-paneled dancing game and proceed to beat some high scores, it must had been my day.

Thanks for reading this and please excuse my grammar.  If there are any mistakes in the games and details, please point it out and I will change it.  And sorry for any mistakes I made.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 03:53:57 pm by jeffthefob » Logged

As a math and physics major that has received dean's honors, i can tell you that seven minus five is one for very large values of five. Wink
LordHomerCat
Full Members
Basic User

Lord+Homer+Cat
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 03:49:10 am »

Sorry to nitpick, but Indianapolis is not exactly on the other coast...

Also, Null Rod is pretty good, but is it Yawgmoth's Will good?

Team Meandeck

Team Serious

Quote from: spider
LordHomerCat is just mean, and isnt really justifying his statements very well, is he?
tomjoad
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 04:03:00 am »

Web ended up playing Grim Long which surprised me

Really? I mean, I don't know Web that much or anything, but nothing seems more likely to me than him playing a Becker list with Tendrils and Ritual in it. Also, I am kinda glad I couldn't make it to this one, since I know Stan is going to give me a hard time about my telling him that he should never consider playing Ichorid. At least he didn't listen, I guess.
LotusHead
Full Members
Basic User

Team Vacaville

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 04:40:33 am »

The lists are up...

Here's Webs for now...

3 Street Wraith
2 Tendrils of Agony
3 Grim Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Imperial Seal
1 Vampiric Tutor
3 Duress
2 Night's Whisper
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Memory Jar
1 Mind's Desire
1 Necropotence
1 Ponder
1 Time Walk
1 Timetwister
1 Tinker
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Yawgmoth's Bargain
1 Yawgmoth's Will
2 Chain of Vapor
1 Rebuild
1 Pact of Negation
4 Dark Ritual
1 Cabal Ritual
1 Black Lotus
1 Lion's Eye Diamond
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mana Vault
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Sol Ring
1 Tolarian Academy
2 Bloodstained Mire
4 Polluted Delta
1 Badlands
1 Swamp
3 underground Sea
Sideboard
2 Thoughtseize
1 Darksteel Colossus
1 Massacre
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Yixlid Jailer
3 Extirpate
3 Hurkyl's Recall
3 Island

Glad to know my Chalice for 1 is still worth something! Smile

Congrats on the win and kudos for Eudo for getting healthy (for our meta) numbers in attendance. 
I've been force fed a non-stop slew of Monster Movies down in SoCal. Team Vacaville apparently represented, but scrubbed out.

MMD
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 10:49:06 am »

2 Savanah Lion

Try Cursecatcher in Combo/Control metas, he´s great.
jeffthefob
Basic User

Mise.

jeffthefob
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 12:44:29 pm »

Sorry to nitpick, but Indianapolis is not exactly on the other coast...

Also, Null Rod is pretty good, but is it Yawgmoth's Will good?

My geography failed me, but instead of blaming that it was late at night I am just going to say I failed geography DI.

You are a cool guy on the forums and you are definitely right that Yawg. Will is a more powerful card than Null Rod; I think I admitted to this in my posting. This is why I said I suck at magic, I am playing fair cards rather than format defining cards.  I am just surprised that no one in the open forums had mentioned a deck /w Null Rod.  Despite Null Rod not being "powerful," it is a very valid strategy.  And thank you for replying to this Very Happy

2 Savanah Lion

Try Cursecatcher in Combo/Control metas, he´s great.

Not being 2-powered beater is not great.  Feinstein in his U/W Fish thread had already went through this reasoning.  If the thread is too long, feel free to check out my posting on that thread (which is located toward the later pages of the thread and was my finer contribution to the U/W Fish archtype).  This is certainly something I will address if I start a thread on the open forums.

Web ended up playing Grim Long which surprised me

Really? I mean, I don't know Web that much or anything, but nothing seems more likely to me than him playing a Becker list with Tendrils and Ritual in it. Also, I am kinda glad I couldn't make it to this one, since I know Stan is going to give me a hard time about my telling him that he should never consider playing Ichorid. At least he didn't listen, I guess.

I just thought Web would be playing CS, because I know that would probably be LSV's deck of choice if he had went.  I am always the odd ball out of the three, since both of them always play the same deck so I thought Web would be playing CS as well.  Ichorid was actually a good choice I think, but I felt like his list was a little bit weird and can be more optimized.  To be honest, he should had been in the finals instead of me.  But I "mised," (Plan B worked) and that is.  I will write the details in the tourney report soon to follow.

As a math and physics major that has received dean's honors, i can tell you that seven minus five is one for very large values of five. Wink
Aardshark
I voted for Smmenen!
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 05:29:57 pm »

I played Codi's current drain tendrils list nearly card for card, with skeletal scrying over gush (which won me game 2 v. web, see below). 

I ended up a symmetrical 2-1-2, with my only consolation being that I faced a tough gauntlet (4 of 5 opponents made top 8).
However, in each of the games I lost I made identifiable errors, so no excuses.

Round 1 I played against an individual named Roy (or Ray?) whom I don't think I've previously met, playing control slaver (I think).
I win 2 unmemorable games by countering spells and drawing cards, casting yawgwin turn 5 or 6.

Round 2 I'm against Flavio with Belcher.I take control game 1 after draining an early belcher. 

In Game 2 I lose to a first turn ETW for 12.  However, I made a mistake that may well have cost me this game: Turn 1 he cast land grant, showing me a hand with ETW and various other acceleration, including SSG & Chrome Mox.  So, when he goes to cast chome mox I pitched thirst to force an early Chrome mox imprinting SSG, forgetting that the imprint isn't part of the casting cost.  There's a decent chance that thirst would have accelerated me into tutor/etruth (if not the win itself).

Game 3 I duress & thoughtseize away his business leaving only acceleration, and subsequently put out pithing needle on belcher for insurance.   Time is called, and I'm able to steel turn 5 with timewalk and win with yagwill.

I miss lunch and eat junk food ;(

Round 3 was an epic struggle against Campee with Bomberman, and centered around mana crypt.
Game 1 was a long and tense back and forth with each of our decks doing their things: me drawing cards and countering key spells (including salvagers).  Meanwhile, he is casting and swinging with trinket mages, filtering with top, and getting tormod's crypt on the table for insurance. Unfortunately for Eric, the game  came down to his inability to win mana crypt flips.  This exposed him to a 0 storm tendrils the turn after tinkering his crypt away for a would-be lethal DSC (after bouncing my DSC, which I had hardcast the previous turn off drain mana).

Game 2 Eric Mulligans, and I thoughtseize him my turn 1 seeing Fowx2, Salvagers w/ no white source, and mana.  I decide to take salvagers, on the thought that I'm happy for fow to resolve to put him further down on cards. This was a terrible decision, since taking fow would have left Eric with 2 uncastable cards in his hand.  Nonetheless, I still should have at least drawn this game.  However, I punted again when I failed to cast a slightly less-than-lethal storm 7 tendrils, and consequently lost to my own mana crypt the following turn, which I had somehow forgotten about.  Had I tendrilsed him, Eric would have untapped and lost to his own mana crypt.  I'm a scrub.

Round 4 I faced FOB with fish with standstill.  My misplays in this match were subtle but undeniable. 

Game 1 Jeff gets out an early standstill with ication javalaneers (sp?) on the board, and my life drops from 20 to 10 over the next 10 turns.  Unfortunately he hits most of his land drops. I get impatient after he finally plays a factory and break standstill with ancestral recall eot when he has 6 cards in hand, which predictably gets forced.  I then try to with with mystical for yawg will, but he has the second counter.  What I think I should have done is wait longer a little longer for him to hit 7 cards, and break standstill with mystical (which he'd hate to force, and then ancestral recall mainphase with counter backup. 

Game 2 I roll over Jeff (he has no action).

Game 3 I agonize about forcing a savanah lions, which gives him 4 power on the board, and decide not to.  I'm pretty sure this was the wrong play, as the 5 turn clock isn't enough time for me to race through the inevitable standstill. 

In sum, no guarantees correct play would have won me this match, but I certainly could have done better.

Round 5 I face web (probably the best player in the room) playing grim long (a natural predator of drain decks).  An uncomfortable position to say the least.  However, I put on my game face, and admittedly breath a sigh of relief when web mulls to 5 game 1.  The game proceeds after a brief exchange about whether my expression of condolences for his mulligans was genuine.

On Web's turn 3, with 3 blue open for both mana drain and ancestral recall, I allow an immediate imperial seal, figuring I'll counter the either the card draw or the card itself.  But master that he his, Web drops 3 artifacts and rebuilds. I know desire is on top and that I'm in trouble.  I decline to drain rebuild, which I think was correct, as my best (albeit long) shot is to counter the bombs off a poor desire.  However, I tragically forget to cast recall with my untapped sapphire before saying ok, which would have been the difference had a FoW been in the top 3 (it wasn't t).  I'm still hoping to counter the card draw, but of course web cycles street wraith into desire for 7.  I'm still hoping for a miracle, and almost get it as web flips all mana and tendrils.  However,web has just enough spells to storm me for 2 more than he needs, rendering my single mana drain useless.

Game 2 web has a slow start, allowing me to drain key threats and timewalk into an early yawgwill for an advantage that web can't recover from. However, it takes me a very long time to win because I've burned so many of my tutors and boarded out tinker-colossus. 

Meanwhile web is thinking hard each turn, which is of concern because time is running out and I must win this match.

On turn infinite I intuition for 3 cards including skeletal scrying (I forget the others, maybe vamp and Recall -- do you remember Web?) Web gives me scrying, which seemed reasonable at the time.

I pass the turn and web extirpates my mana drains, eating up more time.  Eot scry for 7 into demonic tutor --> tendrils ftw. (Note to drain tendril watchers, -- playing scrying over gush won me this game).  No sooner do I announce my lethal tendrils time is called, precluding game 3. 

Normally I'd be happy to take a draw against web in a bad matchup, but this time the outcome was more bitter than sweet. 

I go home with nothing but lessons learned, which are of course invaluable. 

Thanks to all who came out.  Congrats again to Web & FOB for the hard-earned victory.  See you all the tourney after next. 

(Sad that the next tourney is 4th of July weekend, as I'll be out of town. Am I the only one? Any chance of Eudo moving this??)

A few questions for Web:

I notice you play becker's list with iseal over mystical tutor (which becker acknowledges as a possibility in the thread).  Did this seem right? Would you have preferred mystical over anything else (e.g. grim tutor, iseal, a chain of vapor, or PoN)? On the latter, I like Becker's list alot, but the single pact of negation looks random to me.  Did you ever cast or tutor for this for advantage? Finally, is 2 tendrils really better than tendrils + warrens? Did you ever wish you had warrens? I'd think the benefit of the flexibility would outweigh the costs.

Also, you mention game losing errors in most of your matches, including ours.  If you don't mind my asking, how might you have won our second game?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 01:28:45 am by Aardshark » Logged
mogz
Basic User

ASNKA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 05:56:48 pm »

Galen right?

That was me you're playing in the first round (Ray). It was my first time ever playing in Vintage scene so I have no experience whatsoever. Thanks to all though for a great tournament as I will learn and play better for the next one!
Webster
Full Members
Basic User

The Ocho

psychatog187
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 06:00:24 pm »

On turn infinite I intuition for 3 cards including skeletal scrying (I forget the others, maybe vamp and Recall -- do you remember Web?) Web gives me scrying which seemed reasonable at the time.
You intuitioned for skeletal scrying, merchant scroll (recall), accumulated knowledge (for 4).

A few questions for Web:

I notice you play becker's list with iseal over mystical tutor (which becker acknowledges as a possibility in the thread).  Did this seem right?
Mystical tutor can't get two of the three best cards in the deck: black lotus and necropotence. I didn't like that aspect and decided that the sorcery speed of imperial seal was worth the tradeoff. The ability to fetch out a basic swamp and cast imperial seal against wasteland strategies was also taken into consideration.

Would you have preferred mystical over anything else (e.g. grim tutor, iseal, a chain of vapor, or PoN)?
I'd consider adding mystical over the second chain of vapor, but that's highly metagame dependant.

On the latter, I like Becker's list alot, but the single pact of negation looks random to me.  Did you ever cast or tutor for this for advantage?
The pact of negation allows you to go off with a mana requirement of -1 compared to duress. So it's better for those situations where mana is tight when compared with duress. I never was in the situation where I had the option of tutoring for one of the two cards to protect my line of play.

Finally, is 2 tendrils really better than tendrils + warrens? Did you ever wish you had warrens? I'd think the benefit of the flexibility would outweigh the costs.
Considering the ammount of engineered explosives and echoing truth in the metagame right now, I would rather have the second tendrils.

Warrens is a lot harder on your mana and would require a small amount of tweaking which I wouldn't feel comfortable with (adding cards like simian spirit guide). Warrens would also mean that I'd have to change pact of negation to a fourth duress since the two cards don't really work too well together barring the deck generating lots of permanent mana.

There are advantages to warrens, especially in the workshop/fish matchup. However, at this point in time, my experiences suggest that it's not needed.

Also, you mention game losing errors in most of your matches, including ours.  If you don't mind my asking, how might you have won our second game?
I don't recall the exact details of each play of the game so I'll have to wait until Ryan Devine posts the tournament report to see if there's more information there. I simply don't recall exactly what was in my hand for the beginning of game 2. I remember that I duress you on turn 1 after you played underground sea --> pass. I saw: yawgmoth's will, thirst for knowledge, mystical tutor, time walk, X (polluted delta?). I know how dependant drain tendrils is on yawgmoth's will, however, I recall that I was going to try and win on turn 3 so by taking mystical, it would act as a pseudo abeyance on your next turn. Your next draw was the worst card for my plan: mana drain.

I don't remember if I could have played grim tutor for lotus to cast timetwister on my turn 1. I'll just have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 06:05:09 pm by Webster » Logged

wraith985
Basic User

Worships at the Altar of Tourach

thewangbanger
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 06:45:55 pm »

Congrats on the split and thanks for writing great tournament reports, web and fob. I miss Eudo; maybe I'll try and make it back to the left coast for the LoA/AR weekend Very Happy.
Zherbus
Administrator
Basic User

FatherHell
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 09:51:32 pm »

This wins thread of the week. Awesome reports guys.

Founder, Admin of TheManaDrain.com

Team Meandeck: Because Noble Panther Decks Keeper
hiryu
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 12:53:32 am »

I played Control Slaver.  It really wasn't my day.  A mini-report.

I sign up for the tournament.  I'm 90% sure the store has my store credit recorded wrong, but I let it slide.

Ownage: 0-1

Round 1 my opponent presents a decks entirely in top-loaders.  Ten to one it's Belcher.  He wins the flip, I mulligan into a crappy hand.  He floats a bunch of mana and casts Wheel of Fortune.  I shuffle in my hand and hope to get a Force on the 7.  Oh wait, that's not how Wheel of Fortune works.  Game lossed!

Ownage: 0-2

I win the next two games, but it's seriously painful.  The match almost goes to time.  Round 2 I'm paired against Painter (Dan Messineo).  I resolve a turn 1 Welder and I'm feeling good.  Then he resolves an Ancestral and I get stuck on two land.  Game two I literally draw only mana and Darksteel Colossus.

Ownage: 0-3

I go for lunch; the clerk shorts me a dollar when giving change.  I let it slide.

Ownage: 0-4

I play against Oath.  I wreck him every way possible, but then drop my Force of Will guard by playing my only blue spell, Trinket Mage, to get a Top.  He rips Oath, I Top and see three lands (no shufflers).  Whatever.  I kill Razia with Trike/Welder (stacking so as to avoid the damage redirection).  After drawing through the three lands, I find that my next three cards are all mana artifacts.  I'm still set to race Akroma when he, empty-handed again, rips the case Pernicious Deed from his deck.  OK.  Game two balances the ownage slightly when I Mindslaver him and he draws Merchant Scroll.  Thanks for the three cards.  That left him just enough mana to counter his own Echoing Truth.  Game 3 I mulligan and he obv has the nuts again with turn one Orchard+Oath.  He forgets to give me a creature for one turn and ends up one turn short of killing me.  Still, a draw against Oath, blech.

Ownage: 0-5

Needing to win out, I get paired up against Web.  In the entire match, every draw step yielded mana and Darksteel Colossus.  My one big play was when I could dig for a Mana Drain with Sensei's Top.  I consider whether to try and counter Sol Ring to MAYBE keep him off a suspected Mind's Desire, but I figure I'm better off trying to counter the most relevant Desire spell, since it would just be for four.  He flips Ponder, Imperial Seal, Night's Whisper, Ancestral Recall.  Game 2 I mulligan to 4, he casts Ancestral, etc.

Ownage: 0-6

Round 4 I'm paired against a friend who I loaned a bunch of cards to.  It's his first Vintage tournament.  I crushed him utterly, who knows, maybe putting him off Vintage for life.

Ownage: 0-7

On the way home I was short change for the bridge toll because of the lunch fiasco.  I paid with 10 and was rewarded with six one dollar bills.

Ownage: 0-8

In conclusion, I want Brainstorm back.  What's the deal with this thing they call "mana screw"?  This whole uncontrolled draw step business is no good at all.
Tobi
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

Combo-Sau

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 02:34:06 am »

I really like the Belcher list that top8'd. Funny I had a very similar list in testing last week. I just tried to utilize Guttural Response and Manamorphose as 4-ofs which worked quite well. The rest is almost identical.

For reference, the list:

8. Flavio Zelenka
playing The Jon Foster Solution

Maindeck (60):
Spells (58):
1 Black Lotus
4 Chromatic Star
1 Chrome Mox
4 Goblin Charbelcher
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mana Vault
1 Memory Jar
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Sol Ring
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Ponder
1 Timetwister
1 Tinker
1 Windfall
1 Channel
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
4 Land Grant
4 Tinder Wall
3 Empty the Warrens
2 Pyroblast
2 Red Elemental Blast
4 Rite of Flame
3 Seething Song
4 Simian Spirit Guide
1 Wheel of Fortune

Lands (2):
1 Taiga
1 Tropical Island

Sideboard (15):
2 Gaea's Blessing
2 Goblin Welder
3 Oxidize
2 Pyroblast
1 Red Elemental Blast
2 Stifle
3 Xantid Swarm

2b || !2b
dkao
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 12:32:39 pm »

As a very important reminder, the Time Walk event has been moved to July 6th.  Also, the Lotus event has been pushed back to August 30th, 31st.  Hope to see you then.
Aardshark
I voted for Smmenen!
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 12:58:15 pm »

As a very important reminder, the Time Walk event has been moved to July 6th.  Also, the Lotus event has been pushed back to August 30th, 31st.  Hope to see you then.

Please see my post in the Tournament Announcement forum asking folks if they will be able to attend the Time Walk tourney the weekend of July 4.

I'm concerned this tournament will have very low attendance due to conflicts this holiday weekend.
Cole
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 01:22:42 pm »

I'm going to visit family in the bay area from the 20th to 30th of August.  Looks like I'll miss the Lotus tourney with the date pushed back  Sad

2nd place Gencon Vintage Champs 2009 Sad
39th place GP Chicago 2009
John Jones
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 06:07:19 pm »

What does DI mean?

Team You Just Lost
Webster
Full Members
Basic User

The Ocho

psychatog187
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 06:51:13 pm »

What does DI mean?

DI is an acronym which stands for Der Infinite. It is a slang term for a lot.

Eudemonia posted their tournament report which can be viewed by taking the related link at the top of the thread.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 03:45:32 pm by Webster » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: