TheManaDrain.com
October 15, 2019, 06:30:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Scholar's Weekly Vintage Results Thread  (Read 87919 times)
ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« on: May 26, 2008, 11:20:42 pm »

I went undefeated this week, with 4 rounds of swiss vs some of New England's best. 

Round 1 Doomsday

Game 1 I let a Doomsday resolve with double counter back up.  He Gushes, into what I figure will be Ancestral and Lotus.  I let that resolve, and then Mis'D the Ancestral, and Mis'D his Force back up.  From there, I go lethal, but I had the Force just incase I needed to pass back.

Game 2 I board in some Tormod's over Echoing Truth and a Dryad.  I Duress and Ancestral.  He's left with only Dark Ritual and lands in hand.  This lead to a compressed game, where his Doomsday will not be lethal if he passes.  My next turn involves Time Walk, missing my land drop.  I don't draw a land, so I cast Dryad and pass.  On my next upkeep, I Vamp for Lotus, then Duress, Yawgmoth's Will, Lotus, Time Walk.  At this point, if had previously cast Doomsday he would have been dead, and any future Doomsday would be lethal with a passed turn.  He isn't able to go crazy, and I win with Dyrad.   

Round 2 GAT Smmemen's list

Game 1 I resolve Ancestral early, and I'm glad I'm not playing the mirror.  He gets down Dryad, and Duresses me several times, but it's simply not enough to stop me from going ape.  I resolve Will and all the previous Duress effects are forgotten. 

Game 2 He casts Fastbond and passes.  I Duress to see black cards, but with no black mana, Volcanic Island and Merchant Scroll.  I take the Scroll, leaving him with a potentially lethal Yawmoth's Will, if he can get black.  My hand is very solid, and I will either win or get Tormod's down on my turn.  He rips Scroll right off the top and goes lethal.

Game 3 I joke about how the GAT mirror is often one blow out with Fastbond a piece, with the deciding game being the only one that matters.  Of course that means it would be my turn to go ape with Fastbond.  I actually draw it in my opening seven, and eventually cantrip into a 1st Gush, which nets Scroll and eventually Yawgmoth's Will for him not getting a turn.  At one point, he comments on my not having Time Walk, and I proceed to rip it right off a Gush. 

Round 3 Flash

Game 1 I keep an insane hand, that needs an Island to get going.  It does have several pitch counters and Mox Jet+Duress though.  On his turn, he drops an Island and passes.  I duress him, and he brainstorms in response.  I Force of Will, leaving him with a Sliver and Hulk with some moxes.  He changes into the Sliver plan, and
commits by Pacting for a second Sliver.  I draw my Fetchland, and cast the Recall from my opening hand.  I draw into the 2nd land, which lets me use the Fastbond from my opening hand to win. 
Round 4 MSPaint

Game 2 He mulls to 5 with a 1st turn Ancestral.  I have Mis'D with Force back up, and the game is essentially over.

Round 4 MS Paint

Game 1 He gets stuck on mana and I overrun him with non blue cards like a growing Dryad. 

Game 2 He Tinker's for Colossus with REB back up.  I only have 3 blue cards, Force, Mis'D and Ponder, so I'm unable to stop him.  I can't find the answer, so it's on to Game 3.

Game 3 I Mis'D through my Ancestral, and his REB's can't stop Fastbond.  They are unable to stop Demonic Tutor, Lotus or Yawgmoth's Will as well.  They do target a Merchant Scroll somewhere, but it wasn't enough to impact the game. 

Thanks to everyone who showed.  Monday Night Vintage is really taking hold, and I hope it does even better over the summer.  We start at 7, and the 3 or 4 50 minute rounds rarely go to time, so most people would have no problem if they're working the next day.  I look forward to sustaining this excellent testing ground for the New England Vintage Community!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 08:57:25 am by Demonic Attorney » Logged

unrestrict: Freedom
ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 01:26:54 pm »

Monday Night Vintage has been going very well.  Thank you to everyone who has supported us.  Tonight is a great chance to get in some testing before the big event this weekend.  I look forward to seeing you all tonight.

ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 11:33:41 pm »

This Monday will be an early post restriction event.  The players have asked that we move to the post 20th rules, as it will give us a chance to test for the upcoming Tewksbury tournament at Batter's Up. 

ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 08:48:33 pm »

Monday Night Vintage is going strong.  This past week I finally was able to play Control Slaver. 

Round 1 Pat Crane with Imperial Salvagers

Game 1 I have an insane opening, and he's never in the game.  We move to Game 2 with no idea what is in his deck beyond Blue Duals.

Game 2 I drop Top and don't see Red mana until it's too late.  The game goes quite some time, with me seeing most what his deck can do.

Game 3 I open with 4x Mox, Sol Ring and Welder.  He Forces the Welder.  I drop another welder on turn 2.  He Pyrite Spellbombs my Welder.  I draw my 3rd Welder, run it out there and it sticks.  I drop Slaver the next turn, and he kills himself once I start making decisions for him.

Round 2
Pat Broderick with Control Slaver

Game 1
The game is back and forth, with each of us having a welder, and tormods.  I get down a Gorilla Shaman, and he answers with a devastating Trike.  I run out Slaver, and my Tormod's makes sure it sticks.  I wait to slave him, and set up a Fact or Fiction during a slaved turn.  The 5 cards are all amazing and it's more than enough to seal the deal.

Game 2 Pat mulls to 5, and opens with Top.  I run out an Empty the Warrens for 8 guys, with a hand containing Mana Drain and Time Walk still.  I get in there for 8, and he digs.  He casts Time Walk and I let it resolve.  He plays the last card in his hand, Fact or Fiction, and I Drain it.  His next turn is a blank, and I resolve Time Walk.  He can't find an answer in time, and I have more goodness in hand just in case he did.

Round 3
ID and Trade.

Empty the Warrens has been an absolute house in the Sideboard.  I'm running 3x copies, so I get it in the opening hand frequently enough.  It is insane vs Aggro, and it forces the Mirror to find a way to win fast, which is a very difficult task.  I swept through Myriad with this list.  Round 1 I faced the mirror, and won a hard fought Game 1.  Game 2 I opened with Empty for 8, and it was over.  I also faced UBG Fish, and Goblin Ron playing RB Gobilns twice, and Empty was insane vs them.  Vs goblins, I actually Empty'd for 20 Goblins on turn 1.  Nothing like out goblining Goblin Ron. 

Here is the decklist doing all the damage:

// Lands
    2 Flooded Strand
    3 Island
    1 Library of Alexandria
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Tolarian Academy
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Volcanic Island

// Creatures
    1 Triskelion
    4 Goblin Welder
    2 Gorilla Shaman
    1 Pentavus

// Spells
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Sol Ring
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Thirst for Knowledge
    1 Mystical Tutor
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Time Walk
    1 Tinker
    1 Yawgmoth's Will
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Fact or Fiction
    4 Force of Will
    1 Gifts Ungiven
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Mana Crypt
    4 Mana Drain
    2 Mindslaver

// Sideboard
SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt
SB: 4 Duress
SB: 3 Empty the Warrens
SB: 3 Rack and Ruin
SB: 2 Lava Dart
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 07:33:43 pm by ELD » Logged

The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 11:20:11 pm »

Nice report, Eric. Hopefully I can make the next one of these.

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 07:36:36 pm »

Monday Night Vintage at Scholar's tomorrow is shaping up to be a good crowd.  I look forward to seeing you guys there.  For anyone who has talked about carpooling down some night, this would be a good one to attend.  Round up some friends and come on down for some of the best competition you can get outside a Mox Tournament Top 8.

Zherbus
Administrator
Basic User

FatherHell
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 10:02:47 am »

To the TO, I went ahead and put this in the calendar outwards of a month. If you can make calendar entries going forward, it would help out a lot. Thanks.

Founder, Admin of TheManaDrain.com

Team Meandeck: Because Noble Panther Decks Keeper
ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 11:00:45 am »

Monday Night Vintage at Scholar's is looking to be bigger than the usual crowd this week.  If you've been thinking about making it down to Bridgewater, this is a good week to make it happen!

ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 01:15:37 am »

We had another good turn out, with many frequent faces from New England Vintage Top 8's.  I won this week, playing Control Slaver again.  I faced Pitch Long twice, and then Painter in the finals.  Empty has been very solid for me so far.  The list has won several Mox sized tournaments for me, and it has been doing very well on Mondays.  My sideboard has two open slots, and I will eventually refine the artifact destruction to give more room.  When I start hitting a wall, I'll get in some work to stream line it.  As it is, I don't want to start contorting too much, as I'm having success with it.  For instance, Null Rod backed by Gofy has proven to be a problem in testing, but I'm not actually seeing it show up.  Until I start losing to that kind of thing in actual tournament play, I can't see using sideboard slots to fight an imaginary menace.  For now, it seems like Tendrils, Shops, Bazaars and Drains are the concepts to prepare for.  Vs everything else, even if it's unfavorable, I've still got the chance of running out a horde of goblins on turn 1 and outracing them.  I've had several turn 1 Empty for lethal, with another today vs a Turn 1 Necro.  One of the storm builders was Tormod's, and he was unable to combo out without the graveyard.  Tinker for DSC gives me 4 possible cards in my opening grip that can come up turn 1 which will end the game by turn 3.  In a format with greatly decreased consistency, I find I'm just running stuff out there and it gets there. 

// Lands
    2 Flooded Strand
    3 Island
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Tolarian Academy
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Volcanic Island

// Creatures
    1 Triskelion
    4 Goblin Welder
    1 Darksteel Colossus

// Spells
    1 Sol Ring
    4 Thirst for Knowledge
    1 Mystical Tutor
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Time Walk
    1 Tinker
    1 Yawgmoth's Will
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Echoing Truth
    4 Force of Will
    1 Mana Crypt
    4 Mana Drain
    2 Mindslaver
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Empty the Warrens
    1 Mana Vault
    1 Lotus Petal
    2 Sensei's Divining Top

// Sideboard
SB: 1 Library of Alexandria
SB: 3 Duress
SB: 2 Tormod's Crypt
SB: 2 Gorilla Shaman
SB: 2 Lava Dart
SB: 3 Shattering Spree

ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 12:27:46 pm »

Monday Night Vintage is consistently doing well, and we're always looking forward to seeing new faces.  With ELD's Mox XVIII coming up this Saturday, tonight is the your best chance for some final real tournament testing before trying to win that Mox Ruby!  Also, if anyone is looking for any obscurer cards, please contact me before hand.  I'm sorting cards today, so I'll have a slightly lighter inventory than usual.  See you guys tonight!

ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 11:42:53 pm »

Monday Night Vintage is your first chance to play with the new B/R list.  Come on down and be the first person to break the format Very Happy  We start at 6:00 7:00, and I expect a larger crowd due to the holiday.  See you guys tonight!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 02:49:52 pm by ELD » Logged

T00L
Basic User

Has Been

TOOLundertow46n2
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 12:32:41 am »

Does this involve time vault errata? Very Happy

I like my Magic decks like I like my relationships. Abusive.

Team GGs: We welcome all types of degeneracy!
LordHomerCat
Full Members
Basic User

Lord+Homer+Cat
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 12:58:31 am »

Does this involve time vault errata? Very Happy

Sadly, they will probably not change the errata until the next set comes out, as has been the recent custom.  Plus, from the announcement, it looks like they aren't even going to tell us what it is for a while =[

Team Meandeck

Team Serious

Quote from: spider
LordHomerCat is just mean, and isnt really justifying his statements very well, is he?
ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 02:50:54 pm »

In my excitement about the B/R update, I posted incorrectly.  We start at 7:00 tonight, just like every Monday. 

ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 12:12:15 am »

Things have been going well, and this week we have several players return to the scene.  I think we could be looking at an attendance increase.  If you've been waiting for larger crowds, now is the time to start making it down to Monday Night Vintage!

1st Matt Shea UR Shops
2nd Eric Dupuis Control Slaver
3rd Pat Malone 5c Shops
4th Jason Borque Oath (Overlord and Akroma)

ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 12:21:34 pm »

Shards of Alara is legal tonight at Scholar's!

Tonight is your best bet for testing out Shards of Alara before ELD's Mox 19.  The Shivan Overlord kill in Oath has already made an impact - I'm sure Shards will go much farther than that.  This is the most excitement I've ever seen about a new set for Vintage, now it's time to see if the new cards live up to the hype!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 01:51:58 pm by ELD » Logged

ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 12:13:19 am »

Some new faces showed up, as well as some people we hadn't seen in a long time.

Top 4
1st Pat Malone - 5c Stax
2nd Eric Dupuis - Control Slaver
3rd Chris (A New Guy - I'll get his last name when I boot up the laptop)- Tendrils
4th Jesse Martin - Control Slaver

Stax seems like it's in good position right now.  The new decks are being worked out, and Stax can prey on unrefined mana bases.  I look forward to seeing how much of an impact Shards makes this Saturday at ELD's Mox 19!

ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 03:31:41 pm »

I'm working on a new deck for tonight.  I'm also starting the process of making an extensive singles binder for the less expensive cards.  In the past, I kept it to just the top cards from each color.  This will really help people finish up their sideboards and prevent using proxy slots on inexpensive cards. 

Of course, every Monday at Scholar's is unlimited proxy, so it's the perfect chance to try out the new Shards cards without buying them first.  I'll be making a deck and heading out a little early in case anyone needs to get in trades before hand. 

ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 10:43:18 am »

We had a large crowd this week, giving us 4 rounds of swiss.  We had a player come back after like 5 years, and he got to see how much the format has changed.  The new metagame is certainly different, with Time Vault taking the top 2 slots.

1st Andy Farias - Bomberman with Key/Vault
2nd Eric Dupuis - Tezzeret - GI's list
3rd Chris - Ad Naseum Tendrils
4th Jesse Martin - BUG Fish Control Slaver
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 09:52:27 pm by ELD » Logged

waywreth
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 07:42:12 am »

Will you be playing next week, due to it being Columbus Day?
ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 12:52:24 pm »

Definitely.  Scholar's is rarely closed due to Holidays.  Monday Holidays have been some of our biggest turn outs too.  Remember, we get $8 in credit for each $6 entry fee, so the more the better.  Scholar's has a great selection of Euro games, and Shards is one of the more exciting sets to come out in a long time, and there's never a shortage of things to spend store credit on.  We're coming off a good sized event, so let's keep the momentum going!

ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2008, 11:29:17 pm »

Looking forward to another successful Monday Night Vintage Tournament at Scholar's.  A few new players have contacted me and holiday weekends usually pull a larger than average crowd, so this could be a big one!

VsTheWorld
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 10:01:40 am »

We had a solid turnout last night (12 or 13 people, I forget) for 4 rounds of Swiss with a wide variety of decks (Slaver, 2 Painter, 2 Tezzeret, 3 Shop decks, UW Artifact Aggro, Storm Combo, BW Fish, Erayo Fish). Top 4 was:

1st ELD with Painter
2nd James Tamulevich with Tezzeret Control
3rd Jeremy Blumenthal with Mono Blue Shop Aggro
4th Scott Blumenthal (me) with Mono Red Shop Aggro
ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 11:58:56 am »

Another great turn out.  Thank you to all the players who make these events a success.  We're back up to full speed, and gaining momentum.  With crowds of 12+ per week, new people are much more likely to make a trip down.  In the past, we've averaged in the mid-teens, and hit crowds of 20+ on vacation weeks.  I think we're headed back to that. 

The prize payout for 16:

1st $51.20
2nd $38.40
3rd $25.20
4th $12.80

Scholar's has an amazing selection of board games, and of course, books.  They also have packs, sleeves, dice and anything a Magic player needs for tournament play.  I take care of the singles at the tournament, so requests for singles should be sent to me.  I also buy cards - anything from bulk to sets of power to full collections.  At only $6 to play, and with $8 per player going to the prize pool, you can't find a better deal anywhere.  There's no better play on Monday Night than loading up your car with friends, heading down Scholar's and playing against some of the best in New England!

ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 11:00:49 am »

Top 4

1st Jesse Martin - Control Slaver
2nd Eric Dupuis - Painter
3rd Jason Borque - Rector
4th Pat Crane - 5c Shops

ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 02:03:11 pm »

Top 4

1st Eric Dupuis - Jer's Control Slaver feat/ Capsule
2nd Jesse Martin - Control Slaver
3rd James Tamulevich - Dragon
4th Jason Borque - Mono U Control

Jer's list was very solid, I didn't sideboard all day though.  Part of this had to do with not having a sideboard, but overall the board seemed too geared towards artifacts and graveyards.  I'll put some thought into things before a major event, but I may go with this over painter.  The CA engine is robust, Welder is at his best, and Master gives the deck a turbo Morphling factor.  Running a quick mater out with a fast hand dominates aggro and is hard to answer.  In one game, I dropped a turn 1 Master, followed by a turn 2 Master.  At this point, they were both 5/5's.  The next play of Tinker for Triskelavus and making 3 flying mens made them 10/10's.  The 4 3/3 flyers were a solid back up plan too Very Happy.  Overall, the deck is very interesting, and I think it's a much stronger plan that my earlier Empty the Warrens builds.  I'd like to get Duress in there, but it was good enough for the win regardless.

After the tournament, we stuck around and I got to draft Shards for the first time.  I went Rgb, and passed Empyrial Archangel.  This created some noise, but ultimately it was the right play, as I handle the Angel twice during the draft.  An added bonus, the Angel forced him into GUW, so in pack 3, he had to stay completely away from RB, which gave me some great cards.  He passed me Vein Drinker for my 2nd pick of Pack 3, and she was obv crazy whenever she hit.  I look forward to drafting the set more, as it's very fun. 

T00L
Basic User

Has Been

TOOLundertow46n2
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 03:44:50 am »

<3 passing some ridic shard bomb and ruining my neighbors mana Very Happy

I like my Magic decks like I like my relationships. Abusive.

Team GGs: We welcome all types of degeneracy!
ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2008, 05:43:31 pm »

Last week we had a great turn out, and I got to draft after.  I'm glad I did, because my late nights are going to be spent taking care of my new daughter!  I'll still be attending Monday Night Vintage, hopefully starting with next week.  This week will still take place, but I will not be there.  If anyone has any questions, or needs a judge ruling that can't be resolved, they can contact me at 774*644*4822.  The announcement about the new ELD (Ellinor Lillian Dupuis) can be found here.

waywreth
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2008, 02:03:20 am »

Congrats again to you and your wife on your new daughter ELD!

We had a variety of decks, but once again Slaver was dominating.
The top 4 was:
1st - Scott Blumenthal with Mono Red Shop Aggro
2nd - Matt Macauley with Etherium Slaver
3nd - Jessie Martin with Etherium Slaver
4th - Chris with Etherium Slaver

Also in the field was a Madness deck with bazaars, a U/W artifact deck from a newer player, Erayo Fish, and a B/G deck with one Workshop among a few others.

There was a draft afterwards, and I opened Godsire, and managed to stay in those colors.  It paid off as I won the draft going undefeated (although I only actually got Godshire out once - off a herald no less).
ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2008, 09:16:59 pm »

I'll be attending again starting tomorrow.  I just picked up a few pieces of power, along with tons of other Vintage staples, so I'll have new stuff on hand.  I'm really happy with the 10+ players we've been getting per week.  The prize pool ends up being insanely good when so many people show.  See you guys tomorrow!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: