TheManaDrain.com
August 17, 2018, 02:54:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Deck Discussion] Minus 6  (Read 14874 times)
Demonic Attorney
Administrator
Basic User

ravingderelict17
View Profile
« on: October 02, 2009, 11:09:46 am »

You got Tezzeret in my Dragon!  You got Dragon in my Tezzeret!  ...together, they taste great!

I split in the top 4 of BatterUp Games in Tewksbury, MA with an old favorite and a new favorite that I decided to try out together the night before the event.  For reference, here's the list:

4x Force of Will
4x Duress
4x Dark Confidant
3x Worldgorger Dragon
2x Animate Dead
2x Necromancy
1x Dance of the Dead
2x Intuition
1x Oona, Queen of the Fae
2x Read the Runes
1x Echoing Truth
1x Sensei’s Divining Top
1x Ancestral Recall
1x Time Walk
1x Demonic Tutor
1x Vampiric Tutor
1x Merchant Scroll
1x Brainstorm
1x Thirst for Knowledge
4x Bazaar of Baghdad
4x Polluted Delta
3x Flooded Strand
4x Underground Sea
2x Island
1x Swamp
1x Mox Ruby
1x Mox Sapphire
1x Mox Pearl
1x Mox Emerald
1x Mox Jet
1x Sol Ring
1x Mana Crypt
1x Black Lotus

Sideboard

4x Mana Drain
1x Tezzeret the Seeker
1x Voltaic Key
1x Volcanic Island
1x Fire//Ice
1x Sphinx of the Steel Wind
1x Ponder
1x Tinker
1x Time Vault
1x Gifts Ungiven
1x Yawgmoth’s Will
1x Tolarian Academy

And Report

Obviously, it's a Dragon deck that sideboards into Tezzeret.  I think the first reasonable question is, why play Dragon?  I have a couple of reasons:

One, Dragon is traditionally a pretty fast, threat-dense deck.  This is important because the format as a whole has slowed down.  The dominant deck, Tezzeret, has become more of a long-game deck with Dark Confidant as its draw engine.  Using an early-game offense, you stand a good chance of just overwhelming a good number of Tezzeret players before they're able to get fully online.

Two, Bazaar of Baghdad has gotten a lot better as a draw engine.  There's no Brainstorm.  No Thirst.  No Scroll.  On the whole, there's very little left in the format in the way of unrestricted draw engines.  However, Bazaar is plodding along, available as a 4-of, doing what it's always done.  This gives Dragon another structural advantage.

Three, Dragon gets around most of the hate in the current metagame.  In New England, and elsewhere, everyone's gunning for Tezzeret.  Null Rods, Ancient Grudges, and Mox Monkeys are commonplace.  These cards do very little to Dragon.  In fact, even splash hate for Ichorid is less of an issue. On the whole, players have been less-prepared for Ichorid for a while, and Yixlid Jailer accounts for a good portion of the Ichorid hate the format does still have.  This presents some better opportunities for Dragon than the deck has seen for a while, and if the opponent does bring in back-breakers like Leyline or Extirpate, you've got your SB plan to fall back on.

Now, the other question.  Why play Tezzeret in the SB?

First, the post-board conversion into Tez leaves the deck very similar to Eastman & Co.'s build of the deck.  If you've followed the New England metagame at all recently, that version's success speaks for itself.  So you're left with an effective, proven tool in your hands.

Second, after playing and testing the Tezzeret mirror to death over the last few months, I've come to the conclusion that it's random and swingy enough that you're never guaranteed to have an advantage, even with a superior "tweak," or even as the superior player.  I, like everyone else, have faced down openings that have ended with Vault/Key or Tezzeret in play on turn 1 or 2 with protection.  I, like everyone else, have obtained dominant hand and board position against an opponent only for them to rip the other half of the Vault/Key combo.  I'm always left wondering if my opponent is going to just blow me out with one of Those Draws.

The conversion plan, at least in a vacuum, guarantees you a significant incremental advantage that I call "Virtual Mulligans."  Your opponent will be boarding in cards for Dragon.  Relic of Progenitus, Leyline, Extirpate, etc. do basically nothing to Tez, and your opponent will probably mulligan for one of them if they think you're Dragon.  If they go to 6 to find Leyline, they've effectively mulliganed to five.  If they drop Needle on Bazaar, that's a completely dead card.  Starting that far ahead should be enough to give you the game, and if you got game one with the Dragon build, you'll have gotten the match before your opponent has figured out what you're doing.

As for how the deck plays, there are a couple of good strategies and synergies I want to point out:

First, try to look like Tezzeret as long as possible.  Obviously if your opponent has Duress this won't work, but if you can avoid playing Bazaar/Read the Runes/etc. in favor of playing fetches, duals, Bob, Duress, etc., do that.  People aren't expecting Dragon and they'll assume you're playing the standard long-game controlling Tezzeret build that relies on Bob and react accordingly.  

Because the Dragon win is so compact and cheaply-costed, you can put it all together fairly quickly and throw everything out at once for the win.  This line of offense can come as a huge surprise, and from a board position that doesn't at all suggest an endgame lunge.    

Second, Bob and Animate effects are extremely strong.  Turn one Bob often draws a Force, and if you can reanimate him the following turn, your opponent will be in big trouble.  Similarly, you can offer a "trade" that actually results in your opponent losing their main draw engine but you getting yours back the next turn.

Third, Bob really helps your manabase to work.  Dragon runs fewer sources than almost any deck I can think of, and sometimes gets itself into trouble against a mana-denial strategy.  Thankfully, there aren't many of those in the current meta (at least in Massachusetts) and you've got Bob to pull you out of difficult situations with mana-shorting.

Lastly, Read the Runes serves a double purpose.  It digs into Dragon combo pieces, but it's always an emergency off-switch for Bob if he's killing you.  

Finally, a note on how the deck sideboards:

When you're boarding, shuffle all 15 cards from your SB into your deck and pull out the ones you don't want afterwards.  This is a good practice to follow with any deck, because it prevents your opponent from knowing how much you're bringing in against them.  Obviously that's all the more important here, because you don't want to tip your opponent off about a transformational SB.  

My conversion plan was this:

-4 Bazaar
-5 Animate
-3 Dragon
-2 Intuition
-1 Oona

But you can mix and match as your needs require.  Read the Runes isn't the best card to have in Tez, but it won't walk into graveyard hate as badly as Intuition will, and if your opponent has you on Dragon, you're likely to see some.

The other sideboarding note is this.  The default should be a switch to Tezzeret, especially early in the tournament.  Your opponents won't see it coming and they'll make the wrong plays, which is a big advantage.  Later on, however, keep your opponents guessing, especially if you think they're onto you.  Bring in your 15 SB cards and then pull them all back out, staying Dragon.  Try some (friendly) table talk while sideboarding if you think you can throw them off.  

The main point here is, this deck creates a torturous, high-stakes guessing game for your opponent.  Do they bring in GY hate and dilute their deck if you're going Tez?  Or do they bring in Tez hate which could be virtually dead if you're Dragon?  Especially if you win game one, this uncertainty will work in your favor postboard.

And finally, a note on a tournament experience with this deck:  It's a blast to play.  The older Vintage mainstays will, I'm sure, appreciate the chance to play with Dragon.  It's an offensive beast that puts a lot of pressure on slower decks, and it can intimidate many an opponent into making the wrong calls.  It has the option to switch into the dominant deck in the format and play an interactive control game instead of the offensive blitzkrieg of Dragon.  

I want to acknowledge ShockWave of Team R & D for putting me on the path that led to this design.  He suggested a very similar build that got me thinking.  I also want to thank JR of Team Reflection for throwing out another similar, but less-related idea some years ago, which first put the notion of Bob in Dragon in my head.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 11:14:16 am by Demonic Attorney » Logged

A.-1.
Full Members
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 02:45:11 pm »

You got Tezzeret in my Dragon!  You got Dragon in my Tezzeret!  ...together, they taste great!
Win.

I've been testing this exact build since you posted its results.  I will agree with your points, keeping in mind that this worked in a particular metagame.  Although there is also a lot of Tezz in the Mid-Atlantic region, there are too many mana-denial based decks for Minux Six to work properly. You can't stay Dragon games 2 and 3 or you lose to mana-denial AND hate cards. Sideboarding into Tezz does create incremental advantage by what you call "Virtual Mulligans," but still leaves the deck vulnerable to mana-denial strategies.  Have you also found this to be the case in your testing?

Minus Six seems to be very strong versus Tezz, and you showed that in your report.  Unfortunately that was the only deck you played against.  If you had to play out round two, what is the plan versus Shops?  Staying Dragon leaves you with only one bounce spell for Leyline, and going Tezz means you'll have no artifact hate.  In testing, I've found both options to be abysmal.  Other decks don't dilute themselves enough with Dragon hate to leave Tezz completely free to operate.  Qasali Pridemage and Chalice of the Void are the first examples that come to mind.

Thank you for piquing my interest in an old favorite. When I get completely tired of the Tezz mirror, I might give Minus Six (with a few tweaks for a different meta) a go.

Please make an attempt to use proper grammar.
nataz
Full Members
Basic User

Mighty Mighty Maine-Tone

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 08:25:48 pm »

Why not sideboard into oath? I'm sure you are familar with the WGDX -> Oath conversion, what does a Tezz conversion offer that an Oath conversion would not (and with less slots?)

I will write Peace on your wings
and you will fly around the world
Gandalf_The_White_1
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 08:36:28 pm »

Why not sideboard into oath? I'm sure you are familar with the WGDX -> Oath conversion, what does a Tezz conversion offer that an Oath conversion would not (and with less slots?)
Dragon is vulnerable not only to graveyard hate, but also enchantment and creature hate, both of which can disrupt oath (the latter obviously depending on what creatures you decide to run), so you could end up suffering splash damage even if they boarded thinking you were Dragon.

This deck is an interesting concept, and certainly looks like a blast to play.  However, it seems like a lot of its advantage comes from the surprise factor, which is significantly reduced by the existence of this thread.

Quote from: The Atog Lord link
We have rather cyclic discussion, and I fully believe that someone so inclined could create a rather accurate computer program which could do a fine job impersonating any of us.
nineisnoone
Full Members
Basic User

The Laughing Magician

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 01:07:23 am »

Awesome idea.   Very Happy

The thing I love about it is that it makes Dragon's weakness against Ichorid hate a positive.  The more popular Ichorid is, the more likely you'll get the heavy board in game 2, and the better your Tezzeret plan is.

Does Spell Pierce equate into the deck for you?  While you don't run mana denial elements, Dragon's speed can functionally help with stifling their mana development.  Importantly, it addresses A-1's concerns about Stax. Costing blue also helps out your mana base since you don't need Underground Seas as much and can grab Islands.

Neither Duress nor Spell Pierce deals with creatues, but I feel the FoW with Pierce back-up against creatures is better than Duress *hope to snag a counter* the FoW strategy.

Merchant Scroll doesn't look that good.  Can you go into why you play it?  I would think Imp Seal or maindecking Ponder would be better.

I laugh a great deal because I like to laugh, but everything I say is deadly serious.
fury
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 02:37:32 am »

It's a great idea of build. I already have tested a Key/Vault sideboard with WGDX, with some good results, but I never went to a Tezz sideboard. The Tezz and Dragon builds are indeed very complementary.

But I wonder if the maindeck list is not too diluted, with only 3 Worldgorger and 2 Intuition. Do you have tested the same sideboard with the diceman's WGDX build ? I guess it will be more dense and efficient in the combo dimension, and with WGDX, we accentuate the difference between the main list and the sideboard (pure combo in maindeck, control in sideboard, with some possibilities to graduate between the two).

A great idea, though ! Do you have a tournament report of your performance ? Thanks.

Greetings,

fury
French Vintage player
pierce
Basic User

Part Time Vintage Guru for Hire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 12:05:00 pm »

seems great for your metagame. quite clever even.

I'd never consider it, due to the density of combo at the top tables out here.

More like Yangwill!
Juggernaut GO
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 08:29:56 pm »

this deck loses to monkey cage, it can not possibly be optimal...

Rand Paul is a stupid fuck, just like his daddy.  Let's go buy some gold!!!
median
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 08:36:34 pm »

this deck loses to monkey cage, it can not possibly be optimal...

did you write that just so i had something better in my sig? lol

Edit:

joking aside, this type of deck (dragon + vault key) is probably the better call when facing a meta Ichorid can do well in.
that and it's a blast to test.
i mean it's dragon, that can suddenly morph into a drain deck!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 09:24:30 pm by median » Logged

He traded goats for artifacts, artifacts for cards, cards for life. In the end, he traded life for goats.
Juggernaut GO
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 10:25:57 pm »

to be fair chris got unlucky against me, but the whole concept of xmuting into tezz is probably for the best.  People board in anti dragon cards and then get faceraped by key/vault.

I always thought dragon had a horrible game against stax, expecially going 2nd.  Spheres do a lot of damage due to the fact that the dragon player typically has to drop bazaar turn 1, and unless they get lucky with land ->lotus animate, it's probably not going to be a good game for them.

Rand Paul is a stupid fuck, just like his daddy.  Let's go buy some gold!!!
fury
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 03:12:52 pm »

to be fair chris got unlucky against me, but the whole concept of xmuting into tezz is probably for the best.  People board in anti dragon cards and then get faceraped by key/vault.

I always thought dragon had a horrible game against stax, expecially going 2nd.  Spheres do a lot of damage due to the fact that the dragon player typically has to drop bazaar turn 1, and unless they get lucky with land ->lotus animate, it's probably not going to be a good game for them.

Actually, Dragon does very well against Stacks. But of course, it has to be correctly played against a prison archetype. The goal is not to bazaar blindly, but to set up a lot of mana and pass Intuition before Stacks locks the game. 3 manas for Dragon is enough to play against stacks, before spheres reach the ground.

fury
French Vintage player
Demonic Attorney
Administrator
Basic User

ravingderelict17
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 07:19:11 am »

Thanks for the feedback and questions, guys.

As Gandalf noted, there's a good overlap between Dragon hate and Oath hate, so switching into Oath doesn't get you far enough away from your preboard gameplan.  Also, I've made several attempts to build an effective Oath deck in general, without much success.  If I can't design a good Oath build from scratch, I'm definitely not pinning my hopes on designing one that comes out of Dragon postboard.

Does Spell Pierce equate into the deck for you?  While you don't run mana denial elements, Dragon's speed can functionally help with stifling their mana development.  Importantly, it addresses A-1's concerns about Stax. Costing blue also helps out your mana base since you don't need Underground Seas as much and can grab Islands.

Neither Duress nor Spell Pierce deals with creatues, but I feel the FoW with Pierce back-up against creatures is better than Duress *hope to snag a counter* the FoW strategy.

Merchant Scroll doesn't look that good.  Can you go into why you play it?  I would think Imp Seal or maindecking Ponder would be better.

Spell Pierce might well be good, but it wasn't legal (or even accessible) at the tournament I played in.  It certainly seems worth checking out as an alternative to Duress to increase the blue card count in the deck.  Which brings me to Merchant Scroll.  Dragon isn't exactly a match made in heaven for Scroll, but having it offers two principal advantages.  

First, it's a blue card to support Force of Will, which is important to have in Dragon; Dragon's often primarily black, so running Force of Will becomes difficult.  But, I think FOW is necessary in this "gotcha!" metagame of Vault/Key shenanigans.  Second, it provides more of a foundation for the Tezzeret transformation postboard, where Scroll is actually pretty good.  The more potential Tez cards I run maindeck, the fewer I need to cram into the SB.  Oh, and an incidental point, having Scroll makes your bounce more accessible, which can be important.

Do you have a tournament report of your performance ?

It's in the post, just below the list.

I'd never consider it, due to the density of combo at the top tables out here.

Combo isn't the best matchup for the deck, granted.  But postboard, you're running 12 control spells.  That should be enough to give you a fighting chance.  Back in the day of Control Slaver, the plan often involved boarding from 8 to 11 control elements, so you're bringing more control resources than that with post-board Tez here.  Is that enough?  Can't be sure.  But it seems passable on paper, at least.

to be fair chris got unlucky against me, but the whole concept of xmuting into tezz is probably for the best.  People board in anti dragon cards and then get faceraped by key/vault.

I always thought dragon had a horrible game against stax, expecially going 2nd.  Spheres do a lot of damage due to the fact that the dragon player typically has to drop bazaar turn 1, and unless they get lucky with land ->lotus animate, it's probably not going to be a good game for them.

I think it was a confluence of a bit of bad luck and some bad play decisions.  I hadn't ever run Dragon against Stax before, and made some mistakes I wouldn't have made if I'd had more experience with the matchup; for example, discarding that land in order to keep Force online was kind of silly on my part.  I did that in order to prevent you from dropping Tangle Wire, which in retrospect I'm not even sure you were running.  But in discarding that land, I left myself open to a topdecked Strip Mine and that's the way things went.

I guess that, in no small measure, I was expecting not to run into many Shop decks.  Things didn't go according to plan when I did.  I can't speak to how good or bad the matchup is for Dragon, but I was hoping to get there.  Well, lost the battle, won the war.  Smile

Edit:  A final note on mana denial problems.  I'd identify those as the worst matchup for Dragon, at least in a vacuum.  But you have the option of partial boarding in order to mitigate those difficulties.  For example, when I played against Shops, I boarded in the 2 lands in the sideboard, cutting the 2 Read the Runes.  This should help you to stabilize against mana denial, and as I mentioned above, Bob is also there to keep you in the game. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:38:49 am by Demonic Attorney » Logged

A.-1.
Full Members
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 12:51:02 pm »

Fury, I will agree with you that traditional Dragon does well against traditional Stax.  Minus Six is definitely not traditional Dragon, and as far as the rest of us know, Travis could have running any one of a dozen different iterations of Shops.

Just boarding in the two lands vs. mana denial decks that board in Leyline has not worked out for me. If they manage to start with Leyline on turn 0, you're forced to try and find and protect Echoing Truth before they put any pressure on you.  This ends poorly.

My initial thought was to test Rack and Ruin over the Fire/Ice and Gifts, but perhaps some combination of bounce cards may be better.

Please make an attempt to use proper grammar.
Demonic Attorney
Administrator
Basic User

ravingderelict17
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 01:34:37 pm »

So this list performed again at Hadley's 4 Foil Welders event.  Is losing the element of surprise enough to put this deck out of contention?  Maybe not. 

fury
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 08:03:25 am »

2 Dragon builds in top8 ? Congratulations for your performance !

Just boarding in the two lands vs. mana denial decks that board in Leyline has not worked out for me. If they manage to start with Leyline on turn 0, you're forced to try and find and protect Echoing Truth before they put any pressure on you.  This ends poorly.

I doubt that decks with Leyline and mana denial are quite strong against the metagame, excepting maybe some Fish builds. if they want to hate Dragon, they must mulligan, or keep a bad hand, to have Leyline in hand. This gives a tempo advantage to Dragon with some alternate strategy (casting Oona, or finding a bounce to start the combo). Moreover, Dragon usually packs in fetches with basic lands to fight denial decks.

So I think we should not fear hate. Being hated means that the opponent has used cards to hate, and not to win. This gives us a tempo advantage to draw a lot of cards, find bounces (Chain of Vapor, Echoing Truth, Repeal)  and overwhelm them.

In the DAttorney's build, I think we lack in bounces. The two strategies (keyvault + WGD combo) are efficient, but in a hateful metagame, I think one bounce is not enough. I usually use at least 4 (a combination of Chain of Vapor, Echoing Truth and Repeal).

fury
French Vintage player
voltron00x
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 10:49:27 pm »

Nick Coss made the Top 8 today at the NYSE III with this deck.  I think its one of the coolest Vintage developments of 2009. 

“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.”

Team East Coast Wins
Lurker101
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 11:50:35 pm »

Yay for innovation! I normally hate vault decks but this is something else and bringing Dragon back is a plus for me. I'm happy about this deck and hope it catches on a little bit more (not too much more because that would kill the surprise factor but enough to be noted in Vintage history). It's the most fun looking version of a vault deck I've seen.
voltron00x
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 12:15:17 am »

The only concern I have with the deck is its plan against Ichorid, which is basically pretend the deck doesn't exist  Wink

“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.”

Team East Coast Wins
waffles
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 06:27:26 am »

The only concern I have with the deck is its plan against Ichorid, which is basically pretend the deck doesn't exist  Wink
he could use Portcullis for ichorid, see here(http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=5202)

i could never get the transitive sideboard to work right, could have been to my lack of skill to choose what to side in/out.
Iron_Chef
Goddamned Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Managing Partner, Top Deck Games and CardTitan.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 03:36:46 pm »

I played this deck to a top 8 finish at the 53 person NYSE Open III.  Here is a (very) mini-report, along with my thoughts on the deck.

I went into this tournament completely cold with this deck (generally a very bad idea).  Throughout the day time and time again I had no problems in terms of how to play games out.  It is a VERY intuitive deck to play, don't underestimate how much easier that makes a long tournament.  It has a very small decision tree as Dragon, barring a complex Intuition there are very few complicated decisions to be made.  I dropped game 1 of the tournament, and did not lose another game until playing against teammate Matt Elias (oath) in the Top 8.

Rd. 1 vs Dave w/ Tez

Game 1 I mulliganed to 5, seeing Bazaar with no other mana sources each time (Remember, I'm not Ichorid here).  I eventually kept a hand that let me tutor for a 3rd turn win, but with nothing to protect it I lost quickly after he drained my Animate Dead.

Game 2 I stayed Dragon since Dave is aware of the discussion about this deck on TMD and knows that it usually transforms into Tez.  I won on turn 2 with Bazaar into WGD + Animate + Fow backup.  I didn't see any graveyard hate, but after he goes back to his board I do as well and change to Tez.

Game 3 as Tez I resolved an Intuition for 3x Duress (with Yawgmoth's Will in my hand and Lotus on the board)  I duress him and resolve Confidant.  While my Will gets countered, I go on to win through the card advantage that 2x Confidant provides.

Rd. 2 vs Sean with either Painter or Tez

Game 1 I combo out very quickly, with Duress clearing the way.  During the match he and I talk about Dragon's chances playing through all the Ichorid hate.  He also mentions that he'll get to actually board in his dredge hate for once.

Game 2 I switch to Tez and completely dominate him after FoWing his Ancestral.  His hand consists of 2x Ravenous Trap and 1x Extirpate when I duress him.  He extirpates in response "Just to see how screwed I am".  My hand was 2x FoW, 2x Mana Drain, Intuition, Time Vault, Tinker.

Rd. 3 vs James Hangley w/ 5c Stax

Game 1 is tough when he Powder Kegs away most of my manabase, leaving me with two lands, one of which he wastes.  I draw the game through a Sphere when he has lethal damage on the board by playing a land, Lotus, and Animate Dead on my Dragon with no Bazaar.  BTW I won the die roll so I got to play first again! Good times!

Game 2 I switch to Tez, since I anticipate Leylines and Tormod's coming in.  I am right, and I win after a few turns of setting up enough mana to resolve Tezzeret and protect it with Force of Will.

Game 3 I stay Tezzeret after seeing that he didn't change any sideboard cards.  My opening hand has Vault + Key + FoW + Blue card + Land x2 + Mox.  I take infinite turns starting on turn 2 (he doesn't drop a lock piece of any kind on turn 1).  This type of hand makes me feel dirty!

Rd. 4 vs Raphael Forino w/ 5c Stax

Game 1 he plays Goblin Welder and passes.  I disguise what I'm playing by just Scrolling up Ancestral and passing the turn.  I Intuition and set up the combo, but he Wastelands my Bazaar.  I get another one, but during that time he Gorilla Shamans my artifact mana, Tinkers up Trinisphere and leaves me with one mana-producing land.  Bazaar filters me into more land and I combo out when he doesn't have any more strip effects.

Game 2 I transform into Tez for the same reasons as round 3; I land a turn 2 Confidant and it gives me enough cards to establish my mana and stick Tezzeret.

Rd. 5 Brendan and I I.D.

Rd. 6 Jeff Folinus and I I.D.

Overall Record: 4-0-2 (8-1-1 in games)

Top 8 vs Matt Elias (Voltron00x on TMD) with Oath

Game 1 I mulligan and he resolves an Oath of Druids, sticks Iona, and that's all she wrote.  I had an opportunity to combo out where I thought it was pretty clear, but he had hidden a FoW with Brainstorm, and even though I could win through the Spell Pierce I knew he had, he also had the Force.

Game 2 I transform to Tez and have a pretty dominant start, and although he resolves Oath (with no Orchard) I Duress and clear the way for Gifts, which sets up Yawgmoth's Will and the win for the next turn.

Game 3 I move back to Dragon (having seen Rebs and no graveyard hate).  I'm really not sure if this is right, I think Tez is slightly better vs Oath then Dragon, because of the increased flexibility vs Iona.  I mulligan to five and keep a hand of: Island, Dark Confidant, Demonic Tutor, Worldgorger Dragon, Read the Runes.  I draw WGD, Oona, Read the Runes before I hit a second land and am able to cast something.  He Duressed DT away before I hit my second land, so I played Confidant.  It stuck, but by this time he already had Oath + Orchard (why I felt fine about running Confidant out there).  He oaths up Iona and that pretty much makes me draw dead to the singleton Echoing Truth, which I don't draw.

All in all I felt very good about how this deck performed; I think the sideboarding plan will get much more complicated as people become more aware of the transformational plan.  That just makes the game of Rock, Paper, Scissors that much more fun!

i could never get the transitive sideboard to work right, could have been to my lack of skill to choose what to side in/out.

My SB Plan was always as follows:

Out:
4x Bazaar of Baghdad
3x WGD
1x Oona
2x Animate Dead
2x Necromancy
1x Dance of the Dead
2x Read the Runes (I haven't tested Read the Runes in the Tezzeret plan, but it could easily swap w/ Intuition as a source of card)

As far as the Ichorid matchup is concerned I don't know how it plays out; I have not played one game vs Ichorid.  I'll be sure to get back to everyone once I get some more testing under my belt (which will definitely happen since this is the deck I plan on playing in the immediate future).

Thanks Chris!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

"Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it." -Laurence J. Peter

I'm that guy who runs that thing.
Troy_Costisick
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 09:05:19 am »

Heya,

So this deck is getting some traction.  Here's an example from a recent 45 man tournament where it took 2nd:

Jake Gans "Minus Six"

Maindeck (60 cards):
1 Black Lotus
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Sol Ring
2 Animate Dead
2 Dance of the Dead
4 Dark Confidant
1 Demonic Tutor
4 Duress
1 Necromancy
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Echoing Truth
4 Force of Will
2 Intuition
1 Mystical Tutor
2 Read the Runes
1 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Time Walk
1 Oona, Queen of the Fae
3 Worldgorger Dragon
4 Bazaar of Baghdad
2 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
3 Polluted Delta
1 Swamp
4 Underground Sea

Sideboard: (15 cards)
1 Blightsteel Colossus
1 Gifts Ungiven
1 Island
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 Mana Drain
1 Tezzeret the Seeker
1 Time Vault
1 Tinker
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Voltaic Key
1 Yawgmoth’s Will

One question I have is why not play a singleton Riftstone Portal?  You're dumping tons of cards in your graveyard and it turns Bazaars into mana makers.  It seems like a natural fit to me.

Peace,

-Troy

Shax
Basic User

0TonyMontana0 =twittername add me!

Braveheart+Shax
View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 04:17:54 pm »

I thought if a thread was over you year or so old you could not post on it for necromancy. And I really can not see Minus six going places in a format ruled by super efficient all-star type of cards used in the big three.(FoW,Shop,Bazaar)

Jesus Christ the King of Kings!

Vintage Changes: Unrestricted Ponder

Straight OG Ballin' shuffle em up tool cause you lookin' like mashed potatoes from my Tatergoyf. Hater whats a smurf? You lucksack? I OG. You make plays? I own deez. You win Tourneys? I buy locks. You double down? I triple up. Trojan Man? Latex. ClubGangster? I own it.Sexy mop? Wii U. Shax 4 President?
-Hypnotoa
Bibendum
Basic User

Majority rule, don't work in mental institutions

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 09:00:55 pm »

2 people have won or top 4'd 3 events with the deck in a month, it might be worthy to take a look at it

The Going Get Tough, The Tough Get Debt
Don't Pay Attention, Pay The Rent
Next Of Kins Pay For Your Sins
A Little Faith Should Keep Us Safe
dawnstrider
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 08:19:19 am »

@ troy. What would be the benefits of the riftstone portal? Yes all land would be able to produce green and white, but what spells would you be able to cast with it? Im assuming you mean it for sphere effect decks to help push through those spells and maybe to dodge spell pierce. But other than that I can't think of anything else
Godder
Remington Steele
Administrator
Basic User

"Steele here"

walfootrot@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 03:11:23 am »

Necromancy, even when it's in a decklist, is still against the rules.

Locked.

Quote from: Remington Steele
That's what I like about you, Laura - you're always willing to put my neck on the line.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: