TheManaDrain.com
August 19, 2019, 02:08:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Pittsburgh PA, 5/1/2010] Throwback Vintage - Mr Nice Guy Games - MOX EMERALD  (Read 1767 times)
Chris The Avatar
Basic User

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2010, 11:29:17 pm »

3/14/2010 - Added 3RD and 4TH prizes (see below)
4/6/2010 - Added Registration Time (see below)
4/11/2010 - Added Mox Emerald Pictures (see below, Prize Section)

This is a Throwback Vintage Event. The intent is to experience for a day what it was like to play in 1995. Only sets from this time period will be legal, The restricted list will follow a relatively accurate reconstructed restricted list. (see below for details)

Set Legality
The following sets are legal in the MTG Throwback tournament. Any future edition of a card is acceptable as long as it
was in one of the sets listed below. For example a Mirrodin or Tenth Edition Icy Manipulator is perfectly legal.

Core Sets:
  • Alpha
  • Beta
  • Unlimited
  • Revised
  • Fourth Edition

Expansions:
  • Arabian Nights
  • Antiquities
  • Legends
  • The Dark
  • Fallen Empires
  • Ice Age
  • Homelands
  • Alliances
  • Original Book Promos

*Acceptable Book Promos Include: Arena, Mana Crypt, Nalathni Dragon, and Sewers of Estark

Banned Card List
(You may NOT play any of the following cards in your deck)
  • All Ante Cards
  • Chaos Orb
  • Falling Star

Restricted Card List
(You may only play 1 copy of all of the following cards in your deck)
  • Ali From Cairo
  • Ancestral Recall
  • Balance
  • Berserk
  • Black Lotus
  • Black Vise
  • Braingeyser
  • Candelabra of Tawanos
  • Channel
  • Copy Artifact
  • Demonic Tutor
  • Fastbond
  • Fork
  • Gauntlet of Might
  • Hurkyl's Recall
  • Icy Manipulator
  • Ivory Tower
  • Land Tax
  • Library of Alexandria
  • Mana Crypt
  • Mana Vault
  • Maze of Ith
  • Mind Twist
  • Mirror Universe
  • Mishra's Workshop
  • Mox Emerald
  • Mox Jet
  • Mox Pearl
  • Mox Ruby
  • Mox Sapphire
  • Necropotence
  • Recall
  • Regrowth
  • Sol Ring
  • Strip Mine
  • Sword of the Ages
  • Time Vault
  • Time Walk
  • Timetwister
  • Underworld Dreams
  • Wheel of Fortune
  • Zuran Orb

Rules/Errata:
The tournament will follow all modern/current rules and errata of cards, the same as any other format.

Proxies:

10 Proxies will be allowed

Click here for a Downloadable PDF of the rules above (A little easier to read)

If you have any questions regarding the rules/format please either post here or email me at mtg@snsnetwork.net. Please use the contact information below if you are contacting about hosting/location information.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Location/Hosting Information:

(412) 828 1701
802 Allegheny River Blvd, Oakmont, PA 15139
TO: Ron Kotwica
This is an unsanctioned event.
(Thanks for hosting Ron)

*Tentative Date: 5/1/2010 (May 1st)
Registration is from Noon - 1:00 PM
*If all goes well this shouldn't change.

Entry Fee: $25.00

Prize Information

Mox Emerald & Tournament is Guaranteed as long as 8 or more people show up.

Prize Payout (Min 16 - 31 People, if turn out is better then the prize structure can be adjusted appropriately):

1. Mox Emerald (Front Pic|Back Pic )
2. Italian Mana Drain
3. Illusionary Mask
4. Mirror Universe
5. Taiga
6. Taiga
7. Savannah
8. Savannah

Prize Payout (12 - 15 People)

2. Italian Mana Drain
3. Taiga
4. Savannah

Prize Payout (8 - 11 People)

2. Taiga

There will also be some kind of prize for the person who has the most pimp cards in their deck... Pimp points will be obtained by fewest proxies, set, rarity, and other attributes such as sigs and alterations...

If turnout and support is good for this tournament I will try to do one throwback during each season of the year.

Thanks for looking

Chris
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 02:28:04 pm by Chris The Avatar » Logged
urweak
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 05:55:16 pm »

I was hoping for Mirage block to be included. I really want to play Phyrexian Dreadnought and then Phase it out with Reality Ripple. This should still be a lot of fun.
Chris The Avatar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 11:56:07 pm »

Well each time I host one of these I was thinking of doing it for a different time period. 95 was probably the most memorable time for me, which is why I choose it. Game was much simpler then as well Smile... I gotta say though that it will be interesting to view just how rules/eratta has changed decks that may have been good from that time period. Hopefully well get a decent turn out.
Chris The Avatar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 09:05:02 pm »

Added 3rd and 4th prizes for (16 - 31) of:

3. Illusionary Mask
4. Mirror Universe
urweak
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 12:57:11 am »

Just thought of it, there should still be mana burn for this.
Chris The Avatar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 04:24:34 pm »

I agree with you, (mana burn should have been left in the game to begin with), but when you start changing rules it becomes more difficult to judge, and some players lose interest with a different ruleset which is why we left all the rules alone and only changed what cards are legal, maybe we can get some more player input at the tournament for future ones. I really do appreicate the feedback, it helps me determine what people are interested in.

Also if anyone interested in this tournament can dig up some old tournament caliber decks from 95 and post them it may help others on their deck design... I am going to try to find some of the older archtypes and post them.

Black Land Destruction, White Weenie, Erhnageddon, Stasis, Millstone, Rainbow, R/G KirdApe come to top of my mind...
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 04:34:36 pm »

When I first heard about this, Moxen were banned. Are they now to be allowed? That's much, much more awesome.

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
T00L
Basic User

Has Been

TOOLundertow46n2
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 04:55:58 pm »

/me wonders what crazy deck rich is going to brew for this tournament

I like my Magic decks like I like my relationships. Abusive.

Team GGs: We welcome all types of degeneracy!
Chris The Avatar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 09:10:56 am »

P9 is all playable, just restricted as stated in the list above. Its always been posted on here that way, but if you were at Rons last vintage tournament you may have heard us talking about just banning them,  but we decided NOT to ban them for the sake of having a true 1995 throwback tournament. As it turns out Power 9 isnt nearly as powerful in this format as todays vintage format. So this should be as close as we can get to the 1995 format.
urweak
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 10:00:03 pm »

I agree with you, (mana burn should have been left in the game to begin with), but when you start changing rules it becomes more difficult to judge, and some players lose interest with a different ruleset which is why we left all the rules alone and only changed what cards are legal, maybe we can get some more player input at the tournament for future ones. I really do appreicate the feedback, it helps me determine what people are interested in.

Also if anyone interested in this tournament can dig up some old tournament caliber decks from 95 and post them it may help others on their deck design... I am going to try to find some of the older archtypes and post them.

Black Land Destruction, White Weenie, Erhnageddon, Stasis, Millstone, Rainbow, R/G KirdApe come to top of my mind...

This might be helpful. http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Gathering-Advanced-Strategy-Guide/dp/1560251999/ref=pd_sim_b_2
Chris The Avatar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 09:54:30 pm »

Here is another soruce as well:

1994/1995/1996 all worth looking at.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_World_Champion ship#1995_World_Championship
RitNecroWin
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 08:33:01 pm »

I'm def. in for this!  Very Happy Just placed an order for some old school cards!

"FWIW, the only thing truly hilarious here is how seriously you continue to take yourself after 15 years of spewing utter nonsense. It's no wonder Daniel Chang and a known cheat are your bffs." - Commandant
Chris The Avatar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 10:28:15 am »

Registration is from Noon - 1:00 pm on May 1st. Only a few weeks left till the tournament!

Ill be adding some pictures/scans of the mox to the post in the next few days, it is in pretty nice shape for a tournament (Excellent Cond.)
Evenpence
Basic User

AlphaFoNGGGG
View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 02:02:26 pm »

I would attend this, but I'm going to the Harrisburg tourney instead.  QQ.  Sad

[17:25] Desolutionist: i hope they reprint empty the warrens as a purple card in planar chaos
urweak
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 11:15:13 pm »

wow, almost a week away. Whos going to abuse Twiddle and Time Vault to the finals?
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 11:20:37 pm »

I really hope I can make it to this. It looks very fun.

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
RitNecroWin
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 11:30:07 am »

My calander has been cleared and I'm excited for this!
It will certaintly be interesting to play in.

"FWIW, the only thing truly hilarious here is how seriously you continue to take yourself after 15 years of spewing utter nonsense. It's no wonder Daniel Chang and a known cheat are your bffs." - Commandant
stu55
Basic User

stumando15
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 09:08:13 am »

Isn't Alliances from 1996?
RitNecroWin
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 10:02:41 am »

Isn't Alliances from 1996?

Alliances is the fourteenth Magic: The Gathering set and eighth expansion set, released on 10 June 1996.[1] It was released 8 months after Homelands, which is the longest gap between expansion sets in the history of the game. It is now the middle set in the Ice Age block since the July 2006 release of Coldsnap. Prior to the Coldsnap release it was the third and final set in the Ice Age block with Homelands being the second set then.

Yeah, it looks like we'll be playing Magic like it's 1995 and we have a Dolorian going 88 miles an hour....

Chris The Avatar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 02:58:27 pm »

Yes Alliances is 1996... but close enough, we werent going to get everything perfect the first time around. Smile

Hope to see you all there tomorrow! This will be a really cool event. I am looking forward to having some fun with it. There will be a couple of other cool prizes to promote throwback.

Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

Creator of Type 4 - Discoverer of Steve Menendian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2010, 07:42:43 pm »

This tournament was really fun.  I hope people didnt miss it because it wasnt on the tournament calendar, I often use the calendar to plan my excursions and I probably would have missed this if it wasn't happening in my back yard. 

Thrpwing down old-school decks was a blast and is something we might have to try again one of these days.

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
2013 NYSE OPEN I CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: