TheManaDrain.com
May 25, 2018, 04:17:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • ELD's 30th B-Day at Myriad: March 21, 2010
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ELD's 30th B-day Vintage Event at Myriad Games - 3-21  (Read 989 times)
ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« on: March 11, 2010, 12:33:31 am »

As one of the many perks from Myriad Games MVP program, I get to have a birthday party event.  Of course, I'll be having it as a Vintage Tournament.  I'm looking forward to getting in some Vintage at Myriad.  It's one of my favorite places to play, and they have done more for New England Vintage than anyone.  Their local players still love the format, and have been some of the most avid supporters of my own ELD's Mox events.  We'll be keeping this event very laid back, as it's both a Sunday, and a later start than most.  Us old folks have to take it easy.  

What: $20 Proxy Vintage Event (15 Proxy, ELD Proxies don't count towards the limit)
Where: Myriad Games, Salem, NH
When: Sunday, March 21st Starting 1pm
Why: Celebrate my surviving 30 years, and play some Vintage
Who: Awesome people - if unsure, PM me to find out if you're awesome enough to attend

Can't wait to catch up with some Vintage enthusiasts and have some fun!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:59:03 pm by ELD » Logged

unrestrict: Freedom
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 01:06:41 am »

I regret being unable to attend this. Were I in the state, either a Vintage tournament or your birthday party would be something I would gladly attend. Combined, I am especially unhappy to miss it.

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 09:58:35 pm »

Wow, I turn 30 seven days after you!  Happy b-day!

Meddling Mike
Master of Divination
Administrator
Basic User

Not Chris Pikula

micker01 Micker1985 micker1985
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 09:23:06 am »

TOURNEYS ON ODD-NUMBERED SUNDAYS FTW!

...I have sort of an odd work schedule that's been preventing me from getting to tourneys lately, but I should be able to make it to this one no problem.

Edit: Any idea of what the Prize Support is going to be for this event?

Meddling Mike posts so loudly that nobody can get a post in edgewise.

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 10:46:23 am »

It will be 100% in entry fees in Myriad Money.  90% to the Top 8, 10% for community building.  

unrestrict: Freedom
Oath of Happy
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 01:21:13 pm »

Can anyone pick me up in Boston for this?
waywreth
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 05:34:45 pm »

Will do my best to make it!  I even heard there would be cake.
DubDub
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 09:28:13 am »

I think I AM going to be able to make this.  Pretty sure I will be 'earning' the top prize*.

Quick question, if there's a Restricted List change on Friday can we go by those rules for your event?  Normally I think the announcement goes into effect the 1st of the following month.

*By that I mean, I'm in the market for power, and ELD told me he has some!

Vintage is a lovely format, it's too bad so few people can play because the supply of power is so small.

Chess really changed when they decided to stop making Queens and Bishops.  I'm just glad I got my copies before the prices went crazy.
FadeToBlack
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 02:58:08 pm »

I go back to school the 20th =/ Happy birthday though!
DubDub
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 08:59:14 am »

Quick question, if there's a Restricted List change on Friday can we go by those rules for your event?  Normally I think the announcement goes into effect the 1st of the following month.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/82b&dcmp=ilc-mtgrss

Figures.

Vintage is a lovely format, it's too bad so few people can play because the supply of power is so small.

Chess really changed when they decided to stop making Queens and Bishops.  I'm just glad I got my copies before the prices went crazy.
DubDub
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 08:46:47 am »

Wow, I had a great time.  Got some EDH in waiting for the event to start.  Tourney ran without a hitch (despite some concerns about DCI Reporter), and having lunch delivered during my Bye was pretty awesome.

The meta was, as I saw it (15 players total):
1+ TPS
1 BUG Fish
1 GW Fish?
Lots of Tezz and Tezzeret-less-Tezz, Remoras
1 Metalworker Combo
1 Mono Red Shops?
1 5C Shops
And one person playing Oath... me.

Here is a bit unconvential Oath build, since I wanted something fun for a birthday party.

Caught with my deck in my hand
4x Forbidden Orchard
2x Tropical Island
2x Misty Rainforest
2x Scalding Tarn
2x Volcanic Island
2x Island
2x Underground Sea
1x Flooded Strand

1x Swans of Bryn Argoll
1x Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind

1x Mox Ruby*
1x Mox Jet*
1x Mox Sapphire
1x Mox Emerald
1x Mox Pearl
1x Black Lotus*
1x Lotus Petal

4x Oath of Druids

1x Jace, the Mind Sculptor

1x Regrowth
1x Ponder
1x Timetwister
1x Time Walk
1x Yawgmoth's Will
1x Imperial Seal*
1x Demonic Tutor

4x Force of Will
3x Chain of Plasma*
2x Misdirection
2x Mana Drain
2x Spell Pierce
2x Impulse
1x Mystical Tutor
1x Ancestral Recall
1x Brainstorm
1x Chain of Vapor
1x Nature's Claim
1x Rebuild
1x Vampiric Tutor

Sideboard
4x Relic of Progenitus
2x Planar Void**
2x Show and Tell
1x Nature's Claim
1x Progenitus
1x Empyrial Archangel
1x Iona, Shield of Emeria
3x Energy Flux

The deck was a blast to play, as it does some crazy things (I played Timetwister 5+ times in 4 rounds of play, though mostly that helped my opponents).  My opponents and I reached a lot of complicated and interesting game states.  No, it isn't as good as having Iona main, but it's not that bad.

The deck completely dodges Null Rod, and Thada Adel, and taking out Mana Crypt, Tinker, Robot, TV+Key gives one a bit more room to work with, though I didn't end up with anything more exciting than Impulse for the 59th and 60th cards.

Some notes after playing:
-Nature's Claim is amazing.
-Spell Pierce disappointed, maybe this is because my opponents were always seeing their Tolarians, or because half of their combo was Metalworker.
-Jace was pretty sick.  I'm not sure he should be a 2-of, but I wouldn't play Oath without him.  I did get to put an opponent's Demonic Tutor on the bottom on their library, so he definitely staved off defeat in that game in a way FOF or even Gifts may not have.
-Chain was decent even without Swans, killing Dark Confidants, Metalworkers and once an opponent (well, so I put him to one with a Confidant trigger on the stack).
-Energy Flux was really good... most of the time.  As I said, my opponents seemed to always have Tolarian, or played some  {5}CC artifact that made us skip our upkeeps.  They probably won me two games on the day.
-Gaea's Blessing would make comboing easier, but is so bad when you draw it.  If I do go up to 2x Jace then I may reconsider it.
-Recoup may deserve a slot.  If you Oath too far you're basically dependent on Regrowth/Timetwister/Yawg, and losing Lotus hurts those plans tremendously.  Recoup doesn't really help with that problem, and may be worse than Blessing.
-Terastodon deserves a sideboard slot.  I really hedged against Dredge out of habit, but if I had chanced it with just 4x Relic then the Planar Void slots would have been Terastodon and Red Elemental Blast.  It would have helped tremendously against Shops (at least the one I played, where blowing up Shop/Staff would have been nice).  Alternatively, Terastodon could replace Archangel.

The 15$ credit from 5th-8th mostly paid for Phyrexia vs. the Coalition, which I was surprised to find contained Living Death, in addition to the Voltaic Key that I wanted.

Thanks to my opponents and to Myriad/ELD for a great event.

P.S. Pic of the Ruby I picked up coming tonight.  It's a beaut.

Edit:

My new Ruby, in there with the reasons why I played Oath (well, and I had this sweet brew).  Apologies for the phone-camera quality.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 05:10:34 pm by DubDub » Logged

TheBrassMan
Administrator
Basic User

AndyProbasco
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 10:43:53 am »

Happy late birthday!  I really wish I could have made it out for this, You're a hell of a guy Eric, I hope everyone had a great time!

Team GGs:  "Be careful what you flash barato, sooner or later we'll bannano"
"Demonic Tutor: it takes you to the Strip Mine Cow."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: