TheManaDrain.com
March 31, 2020, 04:09:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: TMD Online Invitational II Reports and Lists Thread  (Read 17332 times)
quicksilvervii
Adepts
Basic User

There will be water if Ka wills it.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2011, 10:17:37 pm »

Just took the match against Serra 2-1.

I start Game 1 on the play, playing Crypt, Shop, Crucible, Sphere.
They all resolve.
Serra passes with an Island.
I untap, drop Factory, and Karn, Silver Golem.
Serra plays a trop, and a Noble Hierarch.
I untap, after my roll, use crypt to animate crucible and for crypt to kill itself and to stop the bleeding.
I swing in for 5 with a factory and crucible, as Karn gets blocked by the druid.
Serra plays a Lotus Cobra on his turn, and passes.
I play Ancient Tomb into Lodestone Golem and get the scooop.

Game 2
--Out:  4 Thorn of Amethyst, 2 Karn, Silver Golem.  In: 2 Duplicant, 4 Precursor Golem--

I mull to 6, and start my turn facing a forest and a Hierarch.
I play Emerald, Factory, Sphere.
Serra drops a Trop and a cobra.
I play Ruby, Strip Mine, and pass.
Serra runs out Crypt and Strip Mine.
I play nothing interesting and eventually stare down a Trygon Predator.
I play Metamorph on it, holding back a Smokestack.  Normally, it wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact that exalted makes his Trygon bigger than mine.  Jace hits the table and I smash F2.

Game 3
-Same boarding as Game 2-

I start with Shop, Chalice for 1.  Zero makes no sense against his deck, so I try to slow him down a bit by thinking I could hit a hierarch or cut him off Nature's claims.  Chalice sticks.
Serra plays Forest, go.
I play another shop, and go into the tank.  I have smokestack, precursor golem, and chalice.  Chalice for 3 is something I really want to hit against his deck, hitting Tinker, E Flux, Trygon, and relevant Zenith targets.  I decide to run out the Golem in case he has the counter.  If he does, I can still keep him off Trygons and E Flux.  Chalice at 1 has him off Nature's claim so I'm not terribly worried.  I wasn't ahead enough on permanents to be happy dropping smokestack just yet, wanting to keep my chalices and shops.
Precursor eats a Force of Will, which is fine.  Clock is much slower now, but I still have enough control to play against most of his hate.
Next turn I play chalice for 3 and show Wasteland.
Serra drops a Library, which gets wasted.
I play Jet into Smokestack, trying to solidify the lock.
I ramp smokestack to 1, and get hurkyls(ed) on my turn.  He drops 2 nobles and a pithing needle naming Karn.
Looks like he went all in on that Trygon Predator that he pitched to Force of Will to counter my Precursor Golem.
I proceed to replay my hand (with chalice at 2 and 3, seeing as he exhausted his one drops) alongside a Precursor Golem and a Smokestack for the W.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 02:32:33 pm by quicksilvervii » Logged

When there is no wind, row.
Yukon Cornelius
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2011, 01:25:50 am »

I apologize for the lateness in this.

Played my round 1 opponent Stormanimagus, lost 1-2 with me on Dark Times and him on Noveaux Espresso. Stormanimagus wrote a very adequate report, the only things I would add would be that he was a very good pilot and played well. Here is my list.

Main Deck:

1 Black Lotus
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Helm of Obedience
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mox Jet
1 Pithing Needle
4 Dark Confidant
1 Hex Parasite
4 Vampire Hexmage
4 Leyline of the Void
1 Necroptoence
4 Dark Ritual
1 Demonic Consultation
2 Diabolic Edict
1 Vampiric Tutor
2 Dark Depths
1 Strip Mine
10 Swamp
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Wasteland
1 Liliana of the Veil
1 Demonic Tutor
4 Duress
1 Imperial Seal
1 Mind Twist
4 Thoughtseize
1 Yawgmoth's Will

Sideboard:
2 Emissary of Despair
2 Hex Parasite
2 Yixlid Jailer
1 Chains of Mephistopheles
1 Diabolic Edict
3 Mental Misstep
2 Snuff Out
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Perish

"Guys a bamf, he uses a pick ax and fights yetis!"
Grand Inquisitor
Always the play, never the thing
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2011, 12:56:22 pm »

BSC and friends (Jace G1, Drain G2) get there vs. burn, 2-0.

Again, my opponent suffers from Cockatrice randomizer and lack of filtering in mono-red.

There is not a single argument in your post. Just statements that have no meaning. - Guli

It's pretty awesome that I did that - Smmenen
Joblin Velder
Basic User

Useless casual

ninjabot7000@hotmail.com CountRockula999
View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2011, 01:05:06 pm »

They were good games, but burninator can run into some dead draws. I may have to put in some Magma Jets. That's the fun of burninator, though; you can get turn one double Ankh of Mishra or a hand full of Stingscourgers.

Great games.

Team Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday: I will pee all over myself then we'll see who will end up looking bad.
Troy_Costisick
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2011, 09:46:39 pm »

And as I predicted, the deck I have a negative 20/80 percent split to beats me in the bracket.  Oh well.  Good luck Commandant Smile

Peace,

-Troy

Commandant
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2011, 09:48:06 pm »

Win 2-0 vs. Troy_Costisick

Log for anyone who is interested in reading through it.

Quote from: David Ochoa
Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
Onslaught
Full Members
Basic User

this is me reading your posts

SmoothCriminalRW
View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2011, 11:52:00 pm »

I won 2-0 vs. boggyb with some super ridiculous draws. Sorry!

G1:

I open with Lotus Mox Mox Mox, Jace, draw into land and some other stuff, play the land and Tinker for BSC.

G2:

He opens with Aether Vial pass, I have land, Emerald, Fastbond, Sapphire, Preordain off the Sapphire, pass with two fetches in play and Mana Drain/Jace in hand. He taps out for Demonic, I mystical for Gush, Gush into Merchant Scroll and Yawgmoth's, Scroll for Gush and go off from there to end with Mystical for Tinker and an eventual Demonic for Time Walk. I played in a way that left me UU open for Drain in case he had Mindbreak Trap or FOW, though I realize now that his list was posted and it didn't have Mindbreak Trap in it at all.
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2011, 09:06:30 am »

Brackets have been updated!

"I値l break my staff,
Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,
And deeper than did ever plummet sound
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero's Art Collection
quicksilvervii
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2011, 09:31:24 am »

I'm not seeing the update on this end...

Still waiting on TEPS over Noble, Myself over Serra, and I think Troy lost last night.

Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2011, 11:00:59 am »

Still waiting on TEPS over Noble, Myself over Serra, and I think Troy lost last night.

Very odd, I see the brackets as updated right now. Is anyone else having this issue?

"I値l break my staff,
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

quicksilvervii
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2011, 11:24:10 am »

Very odd, I see the brackets as updated right now. Is anyone else having this issue?

Now current.

Troy_Costisick
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2011, 12:09:25 pm »

I see them!  thanks for all your hard work, Prospero Smile

TD
Full Members
Basic User

Plagic86
View Profile Email
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2011, 12:59:33 pm »

Not updated on my end. Sad
updated after refreshing like 5 times.

I am currently looking for vintage players in NJ to test with. Please PM me if you are interested.
quicksilvervii
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2011, 02:05:28 pm »

Nightmare and I will be playing our match tonight.  Tentatively 9PM EST.
Details TBD.

EDIT-

Room is set up, waiting on Spectators and Nightmare.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 08:51:46 pm by quicksilvervii » Logged

nightmare1016
Basic User

Whatever floats my boat, sinks others.

kristopher_young
View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2011, 11:50:31 pm »

Details TBD.

EDIT-

I fell asleep earlier on so I wasn't able to play -- could we reschedule this?

Shop players, we are a community unto ourselves. We are not prevalent, but we are present. Work with each other, test, discuss theory, listen, learn. And win. - Prospero

Team Budget (Philippines)
Cockatrice Handle: Blacksky11
quicksilvervii
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2011, 09:42:59 am »

Details TBD.

EDIT-

I fell asleep earlier on so I wasn't able to play -- could we reschedule this?

Match set for 8PM EST Tonight.

EDIT:  Room is now open, feel free to join.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 07:53:08 pm by quicksilvervii » Logged

nightmare1016
Basic User

Whatever floats my boat, sinks others.

kristopher_young
View Profile Email
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2011, 08:28:52 pm »

Quicksilver wins, 2-0. Stay tuned for the report.

Shop players, we are a community unto ourselves. We are not prevalent, but we are present. Work with each other, test, discuss theory, listen, learn. And win. - Prospero

Team Budget (Philippines)
Cockatrice Handle: Blacksky11
quicksilvervii
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2011, 08:38:55 pm »

Just took the match over Nightmare 2-0.
Going to try to write this up while keeping focus, the bourbon is kicking in.

Games went like this:

Game 1, on the draw
Nightmare mulligans to 6.
He opens tomb > chalice for 0 > thorn.
I'm holding ghost quarter and wasteland, so I try to see if he has anything important by running out the ghost quarter and taking his tomb.  He already has 0 on lock so I know he can't accelerate (sadly I can't play my emerald) and the thorn I figure would slow him down enough not to get a threat on board next turn.  I'm holding wasteland, tomb, sol ring, so I know I'll be fine.
He takes the shuffle effect off ghost quarter, indicating (to me) that he's not seeing land.  Good for me.
He plays Draw - Go a for a few turns while I resolve Karn, eat his chalice, drop 2 moxen, and drop a chalice for 0 of my own.
His board is still empty aside from a thorn, so we go to game 2.

Game 2
--Out: 4 Thorn of Amethyst, 4 Sphere of Resistance.  In: 4 Precursor Golem, 2 Ghost Quarter, 2 Duplicant--

I start on the draw again.

Nightmare plays ghost quarter, and passes.
Good thing I have Workshop > Crucible of Worlds.  I drop chalice for 0 just in case I hit a smokestack.
Nightmare drops a Shop of his own, casts a /panther, and beats.
I play factory, metamorph the panther, and beat him back.
He runs out a City of Traitors into Precursor Golem on his turn.  I have 2 in my hand, so I'm not too concerned.
I drop a factory and put down some golems of my own.
He matamorphs it, getting more dudes.  I throw down another golem, keeping the stalemate.  Eventually he sacrifices his City of Traitors to play a tomb, and I take the opportunity to put crucible to work.  I figure factories give me enough of a safety net to make it for a few turns.  He resolves a lodestone that trades for a token of mine, and eventually Karn comes down with Crucible/Ghost Quarter lock to end the game.

Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2011, 08:46:36 am »

Alright, so the winner of Onslaught vs. Quicksilver advances to the finals, and guarantees themselves a slot in the Ringer end of the event.

We're currently waiting on the winner of Commandant vs. Grand Inquisitor.  The winner there plays TD and the winner of that match also guarantees themselves a slot in the Ringer end of the event. 

Good luck to you all!

"I値l break my staff,
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

TD
Full Members
Basic User

Plagic86
View Profile Email
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2011, 12:18:58 pm »

Alright, so the winner of Onslaught vs. Quicksilver advances to the finals, and guarantees themselves a slot in the Ringer end of the event.

We're currently waiting on the winner of Commandant vs. Grand Inquisitor.  The winner there plays TD and the winner of that match also guarantees themselves a slot in the Ringer end of the event.  

Good luck to you all!

I'm ready and waiting for the winner of the Commandant vs. Grand Inquisitor match up. Will be willing to start our match ASAP. Any word on date and time of there match?

I am currently looking for vintage players in NJ to test with. Please PM me if you are interested.
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2011, 02:24:22 pm »

We're currently waiting on the winner of Commandant vs. Grand Inquisitor.  The winner there plays TD and the winner of that match also guarantees themselves a slot in the Ringer end of the event.  

Good luck to you all!

I'm ready and waiting for the winner of the Commandant vs. Grand Inquisitor match up. Will be willing to start our match ASAP. Any word on date and time of there match?

I've contacted the various players who have matches that need to be played; everyone is working on getting their matches set.  Hopefully we'll be ready for you by the end of this week. 

Good luck, AJ.

"I値l break my staff,
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Commandant
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2011, 04:18:44 pm »

Good luck to you all!

Blue mirrors man - we started the match days ago... still going. They call him Sandbaggin Steve for a reason.

quicksilvervii
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2011, 05:15:16 pm »

The match between me and Onslaught will be at 9 PM EST tonight.

Room name will be Vintage TMD.

Onslaught
Full Members
Basic User

SmoothCriminalRW
View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2011, 10:05:02 pm »

Missplay mania, but I was able to take it down 2-1 vs. quicksilvervii in some intriguing games.

G1: I keep a super sketchy hand of Ruby, fetch, Demonic, Clique, Drain, Force, Brainstorm

He won the roll and opens with Workshop, Mox, Thorn, which I Force.

I untap and fetch a Sea, play Ruby and contemplate using Demonic for a land. I decide to just go for it and try to ride Clique, so I grab Lotus and Clique him to reveal Factory, Tomb, Strip Mine. (Why didn't I wait until after his draw step to Clique?).

Clique gets him pretty low, he stabilizes with double Tangle Wire and some other stuff, and eventually drops a Karn. I drew a whole lot of junk. Towards the endgame I had no land in play other than Library, and eventually Karn/Factory beats wore me out while I tried to find a blue source to Hurks him.

G2: I open with land, Mox, Mox, pass with FOW, Brainstorm, and Mystical in hand. He opens with land, Lotus, Trinisphere, which I let resolve. I contemplate just getting Tinker right now and going for it, but I'm already down a game so I can't risk it. Brainstorm gives me Vamp, Gush, and Ancestral. I untap and pass. He Ghost Quarters me, so I Ancestral and fetch out an Island.

I sit through Tangle Wire with an active Library, and with a full hand of cards I was never really in trouble this game. At one point I Vamped for Heretic, but never needed to spend time casting him. Another missplay here - I FOWed his Crucible with 7 cards in hand and didn't tap Library first. Ugh! Eventually I win with Gush/Time Walk/BSC when he tapped his Trinisphere to Tangle Wire.

G3: I get a delicious hand (vs. a slower Workshop deck at least) of mox, mox, mox, Library, Trop, Grudge, BSC. I figure worst case scenario I can pitch the Grudge during discard step and flash it. He opens with Lotus, Workshop, Chalice for 0, Chalice for 1, pass. I was a bit nervous at this point but Grudge was going to guarantee my Moxes coming down. I draw Sea and decide to mainphase the Library to discard BSC in endstep. He blew up the Library, and I played Sea and passed. He Ghost Quartered me, so I grabbed a Mountain. I contemplated using the floated Ghost Quarter mana and the new Mountain to Grudge on his turn, but for some reason I didn't. I'm sure I had my reasons. He played the last card in his hand, a Karn, and passed the turn.

I untapped, Grudged Karn (maybe during upkeep? I think he had a Tangle Wire in play), and passed. He drew Ghost Quarter for the turn and exploded the Trop, so I flashed Grudge on the 0 Chalice and grabbed an Island. Untap, play three moxes, and pass. Eventually I had a ridiculous hand (Echoing Truth, FOW, Mystical, etc). He had Smokestack going, Tangle Wire, the Chalice on 1, and one card in hand. I had the match sealed up, with Echoing Truth on Chalice, Mystical for Tinker, untap and sac a Mox to Smokestack while tapping a land and still being able to Tinker with FOW up and Hurks in hand. Instead, I got ahead of myself and played Mystical before Echoing Truth, countered by Chalice, oh well my hand was still nuts. Untap and play Jace, Jacestorm for Tinker, Gush, and Vamp, pass turn. He ramped up to two counters on Smokestack, I blew away a Mox and Jace, Tinkered with Hurks/FOW in hand, and passed. He ended up having the Metamorph, and instead of redropping Smokestack he tapped out for Karn. Either way, I was able to untap and play Hurk's for the game.

I probably got some of these details wrong, the match was fairly long and pretty involved.
TD
Full Members
Basic User

Plagic86
View Profile Email
« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2011, 12:36:03 am »

Congrats!

Commandant
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2012, 06:52:57 pm »

I drop.

Grand inquisitor can proceed.

Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2012, 10:23:57 am »

Well, we have one semifinal match left (TD vs. Grand Inquisitor) before the winner takes on Onslaught in the finals.

Gents, please reach out to your opponent to try and schedule your matches as soon as possible.  I'd like to have the final end of this tournament kick off beginning next week.

"I値l break my staff,
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Onslaught
Full Members
Basic User

SmoothCriminalRW
View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2012, 06:58:34 pm »

The championship match will be cool, and I'm looking forward to the "Ringers" bracket as well.
TD
Full Members
Basic User

Plagic86
View Profile Email
« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2012, 12:03:45 pm »

TD beat GI 2-0????????????
I won game 1 and in game 2 I had him to 3 life with only 4 cards in his hand.
He casts a last ditch effort Yawgmoth's will. I'm holding drain and 2 active Misdirections.
I drain, he shows FOW waits a min before pitching a card(still holding 2cards) or paying a life and then just disconnects on me.
I had the Yawgmoth's will countered with my Misdirections and was holding F/I and had an active man land on board to finish the game so I'm assuming his disconnect was his childish way of saying Good Game?
I really hope his computer just dropped him because that was a pretty poor attitude.

TD
Full Members
Basic User

Plagic86
View Profile Email
« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2012, 12:16:17 pm »

The championship match will be cool, and I'm looking forward to the "Ringers" bracket as well.

Agreed. PM me the nights you are available to play out our finals MU. I'm sure It'll be fun!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: