TheManaDrain.com
December 12, 2019, 12:20:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: [RtR] Rakdos Charm  (Read 5901 times)
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

Exile Ancestral and turn Tiago sideways.

ambivalentduck ambivalentduck ambivalentduck
View Profile
« on: September 14, 2012, 12:09:44 pm »

If real,  {B} {R} Goblins just improved considerably:

Implications are obvious: hoses dredge in a way that they don't deal well with game 1, doubles as artifact removal that isn't awful.

A link to the GitHub project where I store all of my Cockatrice decks.
Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 12:21:45 pm »

MUD and dredge hate in one card is pretty nice. 

The third ability is good vs empty the warrens.  
boggyb
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 12:26:02 pm »

Potentially a powerhouse in Dark Times, if you splash red, as I have been for a few months. The question is how easily castable it'll be under spheres, which my feeling is, not very. A very intriguing card, though, and worth a long gander.
Iron_Chef
Goddamned Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Managing Partner, Top Deck Games and CardTitan.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 12:27:34 pm »

Utility, a 2 mana cost, and awesomeness?

This card is good!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

"Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it." -Laurence J. Peter

I'm that guy who runs that thing.
BC
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 12:38:52 pm »

This card is very nearly awesome.  If only the third ability actually did something it would be fantastic.  If the third ability was "deal 1 damage to each creature" or even "deal 1 damage to target creature" it would be the nuts.
KrauserKrauser
Adepts
Basic User

DAT ART!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 12:46:54 pm »

Should have been a pyroclasm to just turn it up to 11.

Share your passion for the Art of Magic the Gathering!

www.originalmagicart.com
quicksilvervii
Adepts
Basic User

There will be water if Ka wills it.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 12:47:32 pm »

This card is definitely playable, and wouldn't be surprised if it is a 1 of in the maindeck in anything that can support it.

When there is no wind, row.
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 01:17:47 pm »

What a nice card. It isn't broken by any definition of the word, but it has ``utility'' written all over it. Against nearly every deck in Vintage, at least one of these abilities will be useful. I really like the third ability, which can put away an unsuspecting Fish player. I wouldn't be surprised if this saw play as a one-of maindeck in Snapcaster/Bob decks.

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
mikekilljoy
Basic User

Simply... a Tower

Tower0Bauer
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 01:35:30 pm »

Why do I have a feeling that I want to start playing Spell Snare?

Seriously, I didn't think about it being big in Vintage, but you all make valid points.

The Tower of Bauer!

The Growing Resume
What Resume?

(My 2008 Nationals)
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 02:00:18 pm »

The last ability is marginal unless you are playing a very aggresive play, or against confidants. You can expect the confidant player having 2-3 creatures at the same time, and that could be enough to kill controller (in few situations, I know).

2 mana against MUD is not always that hard, think about grudge. It's an instant, you can cast it under tangle.

Blasting the grave is so nice for a 2cc instant card Surprised Great against a stacked will, and decent against a stacked thiago.

Charms are being better than I would expect.
quicksilvervii
Adepts
Basic User

There will be water if Ka wills it.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 02:10:47 pm »

The last ability is marginal unless you are playing a very aggresive play, or against confidants. You can expect the confidant player having 2-3 creatures at the same time, and that could be enough to kill controller (in few situations, I know).

2 mana against MUD is not always that hard, think about grudge. It's an instant, you can cast it under tangle.

Blasting the grave is so nice for a 2cc instant card Surprised Great against a stacked will, and decent against a stacked thiago.

Charms are being better than I would expect.

The last ability will usually not be relevant in vintage (at least not in the current meta).

In modern though, I imagine it will be good against those splinter twin/kiki jiki decks.

When there is no wind, row.
CHA1N5
Full Members
Basic User

bluh

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 02:33:12 pm »

Steve and I will definitely be talking about this card on the next segment of our RTR spoiler-cast.

Regarding the third ability:  it's not a common thing to deal a LOT of (non-lethal) damage to one's opponent in the first two turns in Vintage, but I would point out that Dredge has a habit of putting 8-12 creatures in play on turn 2 or 3 and I very much look forward to a Dredge player getting burned out by this Charm at some point Smile

Workshop, Mox, Smokestack
Tangle Wire spells your Doom
Counter, Sac, Tap, Fade

@KevinCron on Twitter :: Host of the So Many Insane Plays podcast.
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 02:40:07 pm »

Steve and I will definitely be talking about this card on the next segment of our RTR spoiler-cast.

Regarding the third ability:  it's not a common thing to deal a LOT of (non-lethal) damage to one's opponent in the first two turns in Vintage, but I would point out that Dredge has a habit of putting 8-12 creatures in play on turn 2 or 3 and I very much look forward to a Dredge player getting burned out by this Charm at some point Smile

Also, for whatever it's worth, this is a potential answer to Empty the Warrens.

"Iíll break my staff,
Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,
And deeper than did ever plummet sound
Iíll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero's Art Collection
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 02:44:54 pm »

In modern though, I imagine it will be good against those splinter twin/kiki jiki decks.

This will replace jund charm, you can count on that.
evouga
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 04:04:28 pm »

The last option is like Lightning Bolt's option to hit the opponent for 3: it's not the card's most common use, but it's a nice extra option to have that will occasionally win games.

I like this card a lot, and certainly makes me want to try RUB Snapcaster Control.
median
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 04:33:48 pm »

This might mean that we can start with 4 ingot chewers and 4 of these in our sideboards and have 15 card sideboards again. I like this a lot.

He traded goats for artifacts, artifacts for cards, cards for life. In the end, he traded life for goats.
bluemage55
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 05:39:45 pm »

This might mean that we can start with 4 ingot chewers and 4 of these in our sideboards and have 15 card sideboards again. I like this a lot.

For most decks, dedicating only 4 sideboard slots to Dredge is essentially conceding the matchup.
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 05:55:57 pm »

For most decks, dedicating only 4 sideboard slots to Dredge is essentially conceding the matchup.

Especially if those 4 slots are a card that costs 2 mana to do what 0 mana cards do.  This is also double colored mana against workshops.  I'm really not sold on this being much more than a singleton fetch target for mystical.
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 06:05:01 pm »

I'm really not sold on this being much more than a singleton fetch target for mystical

That's exactly how I see it.  A 1 lot main deck. 
evouga
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 06:22:06 pm »

Yes, this is less efficient than dedicated hate, but unlike dedicated hate this is versatile enough that you can run 1-2 of these in the maindeck to improve your game 1 chances.
bluemage55
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 06:43:23 pm »

Yes, this is less efficient than dedicated hate, but unlike dedicated hate this is versatile enough that you can run 1-2 of these in the maindeck to improve your game 1 chances.

Nihil Spellbomb, Bolt, StP, Hurkyl's, and EE are all more efficient options for maindeck hate.
Saya
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 07:08:32 pm »

Izzet,Selesnya,Azorius charms have "criterion" means we can say that they work at least- responsivility 2 damage,1 draw,2/2 flash viligiance knight.Rakdos charm,unfortunately,is short of criterion in T2 since its modes are all local.But in vintage,Rakdos has its criterion:artifact break mode.If Rakdos Charm is going bad in our hand,we just play it on opponent's mox sapphire.
evouga
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 07:37:48 pm »

Nihil Spellbomb, Bolt, StP, Hurkyl's, and EE are all more efficient options for maindeck hate.

More efficient hate for what? None of your cards is useful against both dredge and shops.
bluemage55
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 07:59:01 pm »

More efficient hate for what? None of your cards is useful against both dredge and shops.

1x Nihil Spellbomb + 1x Hurkyl's > 2 Rakdos Charms as versatile maindeck hate goes.

And EE is useful against both dredge and shops.
TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 08:21:12 pm »

1x Nihil Spellbomb + 1x Hurkyl's > 2 Rakdos Charms as versatile maindeck hate goes.

Not exactly true.  If you have 2 cards that are good against 2 things vs 1 card that is better against 1 thing, and a 2nd card better against a second thing, while being better able to hose in the one stroke, you have half the chance of drawing either answer against the right deck.  Let me know how ripping that hurkyll's does against dredge, or your nihil against that smokestack.  Rakdos charm is not the most explosive effect vs either deck, but it's at least good vs both and never dead in hand. 

And EE is weaker than rakdos vs either of those decks.  It's also nice that this can deal the deathblow vs fish if you're on aggro and managed to whittle their life low enough.  Never saw hurkylls or nihil pull that trick.

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
bluemage55
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 10:17:06 pm »

Not exactly true.  If you have 2 cards that are good against 2 things vs 1 card that is better against 1 thing, and a 2nd card better against a second thing, while being better able to hose in the one stroke, you have half the chance of drawing either answer against the right deck.  Let me know how ripping that hurkyll's does against dredge, or your nihil against that smokestack.  Rakdos charm is not the most explosive effect vs either deck, but it's at least good vs both and never dead in hand.

Perhaps I was ambiguous.  What I meant is that in general (against a wide field), you're usually better off with 1x Nihil + 1x Hurkyl's in your maindeck, because on average those cards are reasonable against all decks.  By contrast, Rakdos is both less efficient and more narrow.

And EE is weaker than rakdos vs either of those decks.

Yes, but it's stronger in general.

It's also nice that this can deal the deathblow vs fish if you're on aggro and managed to whittle their life low enough.  Never saw hurkylls or nihil pull that trick.

That's a benefit, sure, but a negligible one.
Blue Lotus
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 10:24:31 pm »

yeah, I don't think this is very good. Seems to me that it would be hard to resolve vs shop and slow & unimpactful vs dredge. Jack of all trades, master of none. Vintage needs cards that are masters. 
Troy_Costisick
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 07:45:52 am »

That's cool.  Could you guys discuss whether or not all these utility charms in this set (and presumably in Gatecrash) will make Cunning Wish a useful enough spell to warrent play in Vintage?  It seems packing 3-4 charms of differing sorts in your SB with 4 Cunning Wish mainboard would have some nice control synergy.

Peace,

-Troy

policehq
I voted for Smmenen!
Basic User

p0licehq
View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 08:32:22 am »

yeah, I don't think this is very good. Seems to me that it would be hard to resolve vs shop and slow & unimpactful vs dredge. Jack of all trades, master of none. Vintage needs cards that are masters. 
Having hate at all against Dredge game 1 is impactful. The versatility allows this to be maindecked (as long as mana-base allows).
TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 10:08:23 am »

Having hate at all against Dredge game 1 is impactful. The versatility allows this to be maindecked (as long as mana-base allows).

This is very true.  If you can snag a g1 off dredge then you have a vastly better chance at taking the set.  Using a card that is generically good (instant artifact kill) and can exile a gy (also generically good really) with any added effect (gravy) allows you a good shot at stealing g1 without ever being dead.  Hurkylls and nihil are not always good.  Nihil is probably more universally good since hitting a grave is good vs wasteland recursion, dredge, yawg will, snapcaster, dragon breath, worldgorger, etc.  Hurkylls is good vs shops (sometimes - if you can win before they just replay everything) and BSC...and that's it.  I like nihil, but it is not as versitile as rakdos, and is shut down by null rod (which rakdos also handles btw).  Hurkylls is good vs shops as a one stroke attempt to win and vs BSC.  That's it.  The bounce to BSC is something rakdos can't do, but to say it is generally better is misleadinng.  If all you face is shops and tinker.dec, then yes, hurkyll's is generally more useful.

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: