TheManaDrain.com
August 20, 2019, 03:40:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: M14  (Read 4301 times)
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
M14
« on: May 20, 2013, 07:35:20 am »

Not a whole lot so far, but a few contenders.

Jace's Mindseeker
   4uu
Creature - Fish Illusion    Rare
Flying
When Jace's Mindseeker enters the battlefield, target opponent puts the top five cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard. You may cast an instant or sorcery card from among them without paying its mana cost.
Illus. Greg Staples   4/4

It's a bit random, but 5 cards should be enough to get a decent free spell, and the 4/4 flying body is not negligeable. Also, it's a Fish!

Rise of the Dark Realms
   7bb
Sorcery    Mythic Rare
Put all creature cards from all graveyards onto the battlefield under your control.

I always thguht Nezumi Graverobber was just too good for Type 4, I think this card suffers the same problem, but if you got really high-powered stacks, get it now!

Ring of Three Wishes
Artifact    Mythic Rare
Ring of Three Wishes enters the battlefield with three wish counters on it.
5, {T}, Remove a wish counter from Ring of Three Wishes: Search your library for a card and put that card into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

If you stack needs a second Plana Portal.
A.-1.
Full Members
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 03:24:50 pm »

I might try Jace's Mindseeker but use some house errata to give it Flash. It is awesome because it is a Fish, but I'd really like to cast counterspells off it.

I totally agree with your assessment of Rise of the Dark Realms. We had to ban Graverobber, so I'll probably pass on this one.

What stack couldn't use a second Planar Portal? I know I love Demonic Tutor on a stick.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:45:44 pm by A.-1. » Logged

Please make an attempt to use proper grammar.
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 03:58:20 am »

Errating cards is not my type of things. So I'd use Mindseeker as is. Which is quite good enough already.

Rise of the Dark Realms is huge, may be to much. Will need testing.

It's a reprint but I hadn't seen this one, and the original edition was kind hard to grab so it might interest people that one of the best upgrades for Withered Wretch is avalaible.

Scavenging Ooze  {1} {G}
Creature - Ooze
{G} :Exile target card from a graveyard. If it was a creature card, put a +1/+1 counter on Scavenging Ooze and you gain 1 life.
2/2

Edit : And BTW, this one seems a nice upgrade for Gruesome encore. Or you can use both Very Happy

Grim Return  {2} {B}
Instant
Choose target creature card in a graveyard that was put there from the battlefield this turn. Put that card onto the battlefield under your control.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:18:37 am by Farandar » Logged

A.-1.
Full Members
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 04:03:00 pm »

Here's a good exercise: Pick five random cards from your Type 4 stack. Remove all non-sorceries and non-instants, then eliminate the counterspells, and then take out the Wrath effects (if you want to keep the Mindseeker afterward). Do that several times and see if Mindseeker is good enough.

In my stack, Mindseeker is about a 35 (does something positive)/35 (does nothing) split with the other 30% of the time being situational. That percentage is decent enough for me, so I might not add Flash.

We had to ban Graverobber because it devolved to the point where whomever resolved/animated it would win the game an unhealthy amount of the time. Rise of the Dark Realms is even better.

Please make an attempt to use proper grammar.
Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

Creator of Type 4 - Discoverer of Steve Menendian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 10:56:19 am »

I dont agree that Rise of the Dark Realms is better than Graverobber (Nezumi Gamestealer), I'm not actually sure its even better than Chainer.  It sounds counter-intuitive but here's why:

Graverobber easily creates a dominant board position that cant be easily reversed.  If there is any kind of creature in a graveyard that can help protect the graverobber then this one is just over because anything you can kill will just get reanimated again.  Rise of the Realms does everything in one big move but doesnt have this same lasting effect.

Graverobber is also a Withered Wretch. 

Graverobber enables infinite combos.  Ex Bosh.  This is a big difference. 

Graverobber is much easier to resolve.  There are all kinds of ways to slide a creature into play through Counter magic.  There are fewer ways to sneak in a Rise of the Dark Realms, prob just Boseiju.

Rise has a liability to Fork effects.

I put Rise of the Dark Realms on par with Tooth and Nail.  Its hard to resolve and in certain situations will just end the game, but isnt so awful that it cant be included in a stack that can handle it.

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
2013 NYSE OPEN I CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.
forests failed you
De Stijl
Adepts
Basic User

Venerable Saint

forcefieldyou
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 12:56:06 pm »

I think that Rise of the Dark Realms seems pretty terrible.  I would never want it in my deck.  For one thing, unlike Tooth and Nail which is a threat you can just play on the first turn and oops win the game, Dark Realms will just rot in your hand in the early turns when it is actually safer to cast powerful spells.

Grand Prix Boston 2012 Champion
Follow me on Twitter: @BrianDeMars1
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 07:06:16 am »

Dismiss into Dream %6%U
Enchantment
Each creature your opponents control is an Illusion in addition to its other types and has "When this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it."

Nice in a chaos deck or a whacky stack Smile

Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 10:38:09 am »

Not a tremendous set AT ALL.

I've seen this last one...

Elite Arcanist  {3} {U}
Creature - Human Wizard
When Elite Arcanist enters the battlefield, you may exile an instant card from your hand.
{X}, {Tap} : Copy the exiled card. You may cast the copy without paying its mana cost. X is the converted mana cost of the exiled card.
1/1

Ok, it's slow, but Ertaļ is slow. You can play this guy with a counterspell. Or with a Firemind's foresight. Or Dwarven's catapult. It's weak and fragile, but if you can protect it, my !

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: