TheManaDrain.com
December 08, 2019, 08:19:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Eternal Weekend Coverage  (Read 18876 times)
nedleeds
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2013, 07:20:08 pm »

It would also be interesting to compare the average finish of powered vs unpowered decks, both in money won and in games won.

The Junk Hatebear list referenced in the WotC article is unpowered,  was piloted by Shawn French, and he finished #2 Unpowered. We built it the night before in the hotel room and did a little tweaking the morning of, going down to only 2 Mindcensors. I think it's a solid list even with a little power sprinkled in.
What was his Standing over all?

30th

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/eternal13vintage/standfin

You'll find me buried down in 87th Smile Still icing my balls.
voltron00x
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2013, 07:56:23 pm »

Really enjoyed reading through this thread just now.

I dropped at 2-3 after having played some of the worst Magic of my life.  Doing coverage Saturday (after a long week at work) and not sleeping well on Saturday night left my brain completely fried.  Still, the rounds I played were fun and my opponents were good sports.

I'd encourage everyone to continue to give Nick feedback (both praise for what went well and constructive criticism for areas you felt could use improvement), and also to pass feedback about the event on to Wizards.  Nick, perhaps you can offer a suggestion as to who people can email to offer positive feedback on this event, as I think we'd all love to see a repeat of this next year.

I can definitely say that I had a great time doing commentary on Saturday; I also listened to all of Sunday's coverage and I think the coverage was easily the best Vintage coverage I've ever seen, not close. 

Nick, I know what an incredible amount of time, money, and energy went into this for you, and that hosting the best Vintage Champs event ever has been a dream of yours for a long time.  Congrats, you achieved your objective and then some.

And of course, a big thanks to everyone who came out and made this the biggest Champs yet.

“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.”

Team East Coast Wins
MrGlantz
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2013, 09:10:38 pm »

I enjoyed the weekend for the most part, although judges messed up my match during legacy champs which wasn't fun.

I ended up finishing 77th with an unpowered deck. Originally thought I was 7th un-powered but due to a mistake I think I was just off the list. Still believe I might have been the top White Trash deck there as I think I finished as the 9th best unpowered deck.

Overall it was fun, I didn't face any unpowered opponents, but still felt I was in most matches. I may just have to keep playing vintage.
JACO
Full Members
Basic User

Don't be a meatball.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2013, 12:28:43 am »

My tournament performance in both the Legacy Champs and Vintage Champs was abysmal, but to echo everyone else's comments, the tournament hall and setup was great. I do not often get a chance to travel out east for Magic, but plan to do so more because of the awesome tournaments run by Mr. Coss (and Detwiler). It was great to see tons of people, be introduced to many new ones, and to play a couple of dozen pickup games with the great Randy Buehler. In the future I need to dedicate more time at these events to hang out with people other than who I usually do, so if you see me and want to grab a drink please let me know!

My day ended on a low note - I was unfairly targeted by the judging staff.   i was deck checked in round 5, and then deck checked again in round 7.  The second time the judge claimed to be able to cut to several cards in my deck which he considered "marked" although when I asked him to demostrate this he failed miserably in five attempts.  I appealed, and they spent over a half hour playing around with my deck trying to make it do some kind of David Blane magic trick and were unable to do it without really trying hard.  Considering my opponents get the last touch on my deck after every shuffle if they couldn't just casually cut to the "marked" cards I dont see how it had any effect on the game.  It took all my energy to avoid going into total rage mode which would have certainy ended with me being forcibly removed from the tournament site.  Obviously Magic cards that are 20 years old and have been played in hundreds of tournaments are going to have bit of a bend to them - this isn't Standard.

They still gave me the total BS game loss, and I won the round the round despite being on massive tilt.
I would love to hear more from you about this, as I heard something about you being given a game loss for a couple of marked cards that one judge was unable to prove, and others judges were said to be able to repeatedly cut to Black Lotus and another card (hence the game loss issued). Any info you could provide about that and these questions would be interesting to hear:
1) Why were you deck checked in two different rounds, and did one lead to the other, or were any issues found in the prior deck check?
2) Is this the same Black Lotus in question from the notorious cut heard 'round the world against Rich Shay, in which a judge was also called over because of a suspicion of a marked card?

If a card is marked and can be cut to there is definitely a strategic advantage to be had. For every X times your opponent does not cut to it, there are increased non-trivial odds that they may if it is marked a certain way, which will lead to increased positive outcomes for the owner of a marked card over a longer period of time, just from a numbers standpoint. No, it may not be every time, but even a small percentage increase could and would be notable.

Want to write about Vintage, Legacy, Modern, Type 4, or Commander/EDH? Eternal Central is looking for writers! Contact me. Follow me on Twitter @JMJACO. Follow Eternal Central on Twitter @EternalCentral.
LotusHead
Full Members
Basic User

Team Vacaville

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2013, 02:50:20 am »

2) Is this the same Black Lotus in question from the notorious cut heard 'round the world against Rich Shay, in which a judge was also called over because of a suspicion of a marked card?

What was this about?

Calvin240sx
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2013, 04:47:58 am »

in rd. 7, when he got deck checked(again), the judge staff rqst'd paul to obtain a different "unmarked" lotus and underground sea. the ones he had in his deck had some play and slightly warped. they are 20yrs old and all so that happens a bit. no big deal. he came over to my booth and i replaced them for him. not sure what else there was to it. was just glad to help a friend out.

cheers,
cal

Yes, you are really all alone in this world. Even in the dark your shadow abandons you.

Founder Black Magic Gaming. Website coming soon.
facebook.com/blkmagicgaming
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2013, 08:21:22 am »

Great to see Joel take this down.  He is definitely well deserving of the title of vintage world champ.  Not only because he's mastered the art of playing unblockable creatures, but also because he is a genuinely great person to hang out with and as such a great representative of what we stand for in vintage (staying competitive without sacrificing a good time).

As for my day I finished 5-4, after starting 4-0, so I was somewhat disappointed.  I did manage to finish 60, and as a result placed high enough for a prize.  Overall I had a great weekend though, hanging out with awesome people, eating delicious food from the reading terminal market, and getting my fill of magic.  I think Mr. Coss did a great job with the event as a whole and I hope to see this event in Philly next year!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 10:50:51 am by vaughnbros » Logged
psyburat
Adepts
Basic User

Mike Noble

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2013, 11:33:48 am »

I'm sure nick will also post a to report at some point. I am curious to see what other unpowered decks did well

Now I know how Rodney Dangerfield feels.

How very me of you.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: