TheManaDrain.com
December 11, 2019, 07:54:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Eternal Weekend Coverage  (Read 18887 times)
BC
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« on: November 01, 2013, 03:43:06 pm »

When does coverage begin?  Where can I find it?  Any chance someone can post some links?
TVand
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 07:28:18 pm »

As far as I know, coverage starts here tomorrow morning:

http://www.ggslive.com/channel_ggslive2

"They say that if you're crazy it makes you sane and, if you're sane, you'll never believe a word of this story."
hvndr3d y34r h3x
Basic User

80:20 against LordHomerCat, the word's 2nd best an

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 09:42:00 am »

Anyone have any info on what's been played/doing well in the grinders so far?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am 80:20 against LordHomerCat, the word's 2nd best and on other days the world's best vintage player. Wink
shrewarmies
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 11:09:46 am »

Smennen tweeted that True Name Nemesis won the Vintage Grinder. I have heard nothing else
Oath Breaker
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 05:05:33 pm »

Live Legacy coverage is on right now. I love technology!
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 08:03:37 pm »

I played in the Fridah grinder with Doomsday and made top 4.  The finals was BUG mirror.

LotusHead
Full Members
Basic User

Team Vacaville

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 09:30:13 pm »

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/eternal13/welcome#4
Ray Robilard talks PROXY VINTAGE on MTG.com!

rooneg
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 09:19:18 am »

I'd love to hear the story of how he got that stolen set of power 9 back at GenCon. I mean what, did the guy who took it just try to flip it to a dealer in the next room or something similarly stupid?
pony16
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 12:09:12 pm »

Live coverage right now at http://www.twitch.tv/ggslive2

Team Misplay: "Reading your cards since 2012."
shrewarmies
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 03:24:18 pm »

Will these videos be available online? Managed to watch 4 rounds before work.
boggyb
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 04:09:00 pm »

This is great! Coverage and commentary is very good -- best I've seen of a Vintage tournament, definitely. Thanks for sharing.
rooneg
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 04:16:52 pm »

Will these videos be available online? Managed to watch 4 rounds before work.

ggslive (the guys running the coverage) typically have videos archived online after the events are over. Probably sometime this week? Sadly, the current broadcast isn't archived on twitch.tv in realtime like scg does with their broadcasts, but they should be available eventually.
boggyb
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 05:12:55 pm »

It's Kevin's year! We're rooting for you, dude.
boggyb
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 05:42:19 pm »

and p.s. how awesome is it to watch Gerard Fabiano and Reid Duke playing vintage? Man.
waywreth
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 11:09:48 pm »

Finals coming up next... Delver vs. Merfolk.
oshkoshhaitsyosh
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 11:47:14 pm »

Congrats to Joel Lim and AJ Grasso! Both of the finals players were from the east coast  Wink

Team Josh Potucek
orgcandman
Full Members
Basic User

Providence protects children and idiots

orgcandman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 11:53:57 pm »

Congrats to Joel Lim and AJ Grasso! Both of the finals players were from the east coast  Wink

Indeed. Merfolks taking home the win brings a smile to my face.

Ball and Chain
Quote from: jdizzle
Congrats to the winners, but as we all know, everyone who went to this tournament was a winner
Quote from: iamfishman
Just to clarify...people name Aaron are amazing
Samoht
Adepts
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 02:33:56 am »

Indeed. Merfolks taking home the win brings a smile to my face.

Slaughter Smurfs!

Char? Char you! I like the play.
-Randy Bueller

I swear I'll burn the city down to show you the light.

The best part of believe is the lie
ramrodjon
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 02:36:29 am »

Great event, people, support, security, and fun.  Congratulations to the community and Joel Lim for taking it down!

I hear the train a'comin'...it's rolling round the bend.
Demagoguery
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 02:39:00 am »

I was rooting for Taylor but Fish is a good alternative. I don't mind combo, but I'm happy it didn't win, I can't wait to see the lists, especially the 4CC one.

The BOM games weren't as interesting, there were some weird plays and like the commentators weren't good. They tried but they were clearly just guys who didn't care as much about the format as others.
DubDub
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 09:26:12 am »

Congrats to Joel, the rest of the top 8, and all of the competitors in what was (I think) the largest Vintage World Championships ever!  It was quite enjoyable to have the very competently managed stream going all weekend, though it mostly made me wish I was there.  Hopefully the success locks in Philadelphia as the site going forward instead of Gencon.  Thanks to Randy and Chris and Matt for commentating, they were much better than the average SCG Legacy pairings.

Seems like the field is as diverse as Legacy, and that much of the degeneracy cancels out.  Hopefully many other stream-watchers who don't know Vintage saw that games are interactive and not always over on the first turn.  If Reid's strong performance can bring some more attention to Vintage that would be awesome!

Vintage is a lovely format, it's too bad so few people can play because the supply of power is so small.

Chess really changed when they decided to stop making Queens and Bishops.  I'm just glad I got my copies before the prices went crazy.
iamfishman
Adepts
Basic User

Euclid's Elements is MY bible!

PLIKEY
View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 10:35:08 am »

I'd love to hear the story of how he got that stolen set of power 9 back at GenCon. I mean what, did the guy who took it just try to flip it to a dealer in the next room or something similarly stupid?

Then grab some popcorn and strap in for a hell of a story

http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=24424.0

RIP Mogg Fanatic...at least you are still better than Fire Bowman!!!

I was once asked on MWS, what the highest I ever finished at a TMD Open was.  I replied, "I've never played in a Waterbury.  I was then called "A TOTAL NOOB!"
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

Exile Ancestral and turn Tiago sideways.

ambivalentduck ambivalentduck ambivalentduck
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 10:58:29 am »

Seems like the field is as diverse as Legacy, and that much of the degeneracy cancels out.
If anything, it shows critter creep making Vintage more like legacy.

A link to the GitHub project where I store all of my Cockatrice decks.
Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
rooneg
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 11:01:08 am »

Then grab some popcorn and strap in for a hell of a story

http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=24424.0

Wow, that is one heck of a story. Thanks.
Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

Creator of Type 4 - Discoverer of Steve Menendian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 01:07:47 pm »

Congratulations to Joel - Welcome to the club!

Overall I thought the event was great for Vintage - it was awesome to see all the members of the extended Vinatage community again and to finally be able to have prizes befitting a true championship.

My day ended on a low note - I was unfairly targeted by the judging staff.   i was deck checked in round 5, and then deck checked again in round 7.  The second time the judge claimed to be able to cut to several cards in my deck which he considered "marked" although when I asked him to demostrate this he failed miserably in five attempts.  I appealed, and they spent over a half hour playing around with my deck trying to make it do some kind of David Blane magic trick and were unable to do it without really trying hard.  Considering my opponents get the last touch on my deck after every shuffle if they couldn't just casually cut to the "marked" cards I dont see how it had any effect on the game.  It took all my energy to avoid going into total rage mode which would have certainy ended with me being forcibly removed from the tournament site.  Obviously Magic cards that are 20 years old and have been played in hundreds of tournaments are going to have bit of a bend to them - this isn't Standard.

They still gave me the total BS game loss, and I won the round the round despite being on massive tilt.  Unfortunatly the whole thing left me emtionally drained and feeling sick.  I lost my laser sharp focus and my confident swagger. I took my 6-1 start (which only needed one more win to draw into top 8) straight into a nose dive of punts that started with showing up late to the next round and getting another game loss.  I won the first game agaist Taylor Pratt, but his side board  came up big against my middling hand in the second game. I'll never know if i would have been able to battle back in game 3 and getting knocked out of contention in that way is something that I still feel sick about.  I may need a break from Magic for a while.

I lost to Roland Chang on video in round 9 to miss making top 16 and ended up 28th (Still winning a cool $100, which was awesome).  Roland had some pretty strong hands but my heart just wanst into it any more and my play suffered.  If you can watch the video you'll be able to clearly see that the Paul Mastriano playing in round 9 is depressed mess of a person.  

I really hope Coss gets to do this event again next year because it's fairly obvious that this was an event that was put together through a ton of hard work and energy while it always seemed like the Gencon Vintage Championship was something that the organizers didnt have any sort of passion about.  Coss did it justice. Although my experience was soured, I think everyone else had an excellent time and until those final moments, so did I.

Special thanks to Calvin (who runs the events in Lancaster) for comming through big time when I needed him to get me a fresh Lotus and Underground Sea to continue the tournament with - it's great to have friends that are card dealers.  Also thanks to Andy H. for lending me a Toxic Deluge for the day.      
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 01:15:01 pm by Mr. Type 4 » Logged

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
2013 NYSE OPEN I CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.
Templar
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2013, 04:25:57 pm »

Glad to hear your overall experience was a good one, though I am sorry to hear it ended sourly.

As far as Nick getting another shot at running Legacy and Vintage Champs again next year, if I may climb my soapbox and say some things I am sure most of you probably already know, I would ask you to let WotC know that you feel he did the event justice.  And I'd ask that of the rest of us who love to sling really expensive cardboard and enjoyed Eternal Weekend.  WotC is the one who will make the decision, and since in any crowd the people who are dissatisfied (and I hope they were few and far between this weekend) are often much more vocal than the ones who are content, the best way to help that happen is to let WotC know you thought Nick did a great job.
Varal
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, 04:57:30 pm »

I feel that messages to Wizards are nice but concrete results like a record attendance are even nicer. I hope that between a small vocal group and a big contingent of players talking with their feet and their wallets, the latter will prevail. I think it will be hard for Wizards to go back to Gen Con after this year success.
Demagoguery
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 06:17:53 pm »

Is there a recording of this anywhere? I want to watch some of the games I missed earlier in the day.
ErtaiAdept
Adepts
Basic User

cmasley1218
View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 06:47:55 pm »

Is there a recording of this anywhere? I want to watch some of the games I missed earlier in the day.

GGs Live has a Youtube channel that they usually upload all of their coverage to.  It will most likely take them a few days, but I would expect to see it up by the end of the week.

Bill Copes bought me a beer after using the power of his mind to remove all the Bazaars and Serum Powders from my deck in two consecutive games.

Team TMD
"Dice have six sides for a reason.  There is no excitement in surety my friend."
Bill Copes
Adepts
Basic User

I don't have an avatar. I am an avatar.

zebraturbosled
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2013, 07:12:21 pm »

Despite having an absolutely terrible tournament performance (going 1-3-go hang out with family for the evening), I had a really awesome time.  It was great to meet a few more TMD peeps, say hello to friends old and new, and get my ass blown out by a well-timed Pulverize.  Thanks to Mr. Coss for running the most logistically tight event I have ever attended.  Pairings announced by twitter, multiple layers of security, a feature-match theater . . . I could go on and on.  Well done, sir, and thank you!

I'm the only other legal target, so I draw 6 cards, and he literally quits Magic. 

Terrorists searching in vain for these powerful weapons have the saying "Bill Copes spitteth, and he taketh away."

Team TMD
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: