TheManaDrain.com
December 16, 2019, 01:11:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Eternal Weekend Coverage  (Read 18897 times)
Eastman
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 07:14:32 pm »

This tourney was a complete blast. It was run at least as well as the Waterbury and is one of the best vintage tournaments I've been to and I've been going to them for a while. The commitment to security was appreciated, as were the multiple vintage side events Saturday.

I was doing pretty well at 5-1 but also got a game loss in that weird round that Paul described above (he was my opponent) .  The Judges were clear that neither of our penalties were based on an intent finding.  Apparently I had a typo in my deck reg. sheet--I had written spell pierce, but was actually running spell snare. Hopefully Nick will run this next year and I'll get my chance for a rematch.

I hope people saw on the stream that Vintage right now is incredibly interactive,  grindy,  and tense.   I played to time several matches,  and won at less than 5 life well after turn 8 a few times.   I won one game at 1 life and with 9 poison.

Also,  props to the vintage community,  who really turned out. It was nice to catch up with some of the old guard,  and meet some of the new.  Congrats to the top 8 and to Joel.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:28:45 pm by Eastman » Logged
orgcandman
Full Members
Basic User

Providence protects children and idiots

orgcandman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 07:44:15 pm »

I hope people saw on the stream that Vintage right now is incredibly interactive,  grindy,  and tense.   I played to time several matches,  and won at less than 5 life well after turn 8 a few times.   I won one game at 1 life and with 9 poison.

Congrats to the top 8 and to Joel.

I want to give some anecdote on this from today. I work with a guy who casually plays Magic. He indicated before that Type^H^H^H^HVintage was not a format for which he would ever dream of buying cards. For almost two years now.

Today I showed him that merfolk is actually a pretty strong deck. Within 30 minutes he placed an order on TCG Player for the dec sans power. I think Merfolk winning will do more to help the format's image than anyone has anticipated.

So, Joel - simply thank you.

Ball and Chain
Quote from: jdizzle
Congrats to the winners, but as we all know, everyone who went to this tournament was a winner
Quote from: iamfishman
Just to clarify...people name Aaron are amazing
Moy
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2013, 08:18:29 pm »

Is there a recording of this anywhere? I want to watch some of the games I missed earlier in the day.

Videos just got posted.  (I want to watch them as much as you guys.. so figured I'd spread the
word) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXvWVmmqyaqg9cOQAZb6OyhhF1fcRSHBb

Had a great time this weekend and I'll without a question be back next year.  Big ups to Nick Coss and company!
The one and only regret that I have after this weekend... is that I should have been playing in those grinders.

Was great to see all the old friends I have.. and to hang out with the many new ones.  The community is pretty awesome.  
Really looking forward to next year

Edit: forgot the well deserved congrats to Joel Smile Nice Job man!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 05:59:52 pm by Moy » Logged
Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

Creator of Type 4 - Discoverer of Steve Menendian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 10:12:02 pm »

I like Pikula's commentary- He was a good choice. 

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
2013 NYSE OPEN I CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 10:33:21 pm »

My thanks and congratulations to Nick Coss for making this event the best North American event I have ever been to --- sanctioned, great security, atmosphere, prizes, vendors, commentators, video coverage .... and all for a very fair entry fee.

It had been suggested that a BoM style event couldn't work in North America, but Nick has clearly proved that it can be done and a very different, distinct metagame can be enjoyed as a result.

I'm at a stage in my life where I can't devote a weekend for a Magic, but I will do everything to support an event like this in the future, if Nick continues to host. It was a weekend that really captured everything that is awesome about Vintage and eternal magic in general.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." 
- Theodore Roosevelt
brianpk80
2015 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2013, 11:14:48 pm »

Thanks for the link.  Also wanted to say it was a great event through and through with a lot of unforgettable moments and plays. 

"It seems like a normal Monk deck with all the normal Monk cards.  And then the clouds divide...  something is revealed in the skies."
jlim17
2013 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2013, 12:59:11 am »

Congrats to the top 8 and to Joel.

I want to give some anecdote on this from today. I work with a guy who casually plays Magic. He indicated before that Type^H^H^H^HVintage was not a format for which he would ever dream of buying cards. For almost two years now.

Today I showed him that merfolk is actually a pretty strong deck. Within 30 minutes he placed an order on TCG Player for the dec sans power. I think Merfolk winning will do more to help the format's image than anyone has anticipated.

So, Joel - simply thank you.

Thanks guys for the congrats and the kind words! And thanks to Nick Coss for a great event, I expected no less. The vintage community is exactly what the game of magic was meant to be, in my opinion: a great game that brings great people together to create new and positive experiences.

I can't wait to check out the coverage, find ways to further improve my game, and get a head start on what I think will be an even crazier year for vintage!

Oh, and...THE REEL FISH ARE BACK!!!
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2013, 04:52:04 am »

I arrived home hours ago (flying into San Fran), and I'm completely exhausted and drained, physically, mentally and emotionally.  But I think it's best to offer reflections when everything is fresh, even if inartful in my description or overly candid.  

This event was everything I expected it would be, and in some respects, surpassed.  

The Nicks (plural) are now without a doubt not only the premier Vintage tournament organizers in the United States, if not the world.  Ray Robillard and Pete Hoefling did a wonderful job with their respective large scale events, but Nick Coss blends what they both bring in a single person: professional TO expertise/skill and community sensibility and respect, along with the understanding of what Magic players really care about beyond just cents and dollars.  

The event felt very much like Gencon, but focused around Vintage and Legacy.  That's a good thing.  Because of my intense interest in Vintage, Gencon became little more than the Vintage Championship to me, so there is little lost and much to be gained by having the Vintage Champs held annually at an Eternal Weekend.  I got to hang out with all of my friends and teammates just like Gencon.  

And, just like Gencon, there is more to do and more people to hang out with than there is time.  That's the only sucky part of an event like this.

The coverage team was superb (it doesn't get better than Randy B as an anchor), and that lent gravitas and exposure to the entire event.  

The security was amazing, and reassuring.

It was amazing to see so many old school players come out - folks I hadn't seen in so long like Rich Mattuzzio and Roland Chang.  I didn't even realize David Laurence and Stephen Houdlette were there (until I saw Stephen on camera and then saw Eastman's post here).  It was also cool to see long time community members like Klep, Ray etc, and more recent folks like Matt Elias (apologies Matt -- when you said Hi to me, I had just tilted from my match loss).  It's great also to see so many new faces of folks who I met for the first time at the NYSE Open.   Seeing so many great folks was a huge highlight for me.   I wish that the old Shortbus guys would show up to an event like this.  

Kevin's performance reinforced, for me, the blending of old and new schools.   Kevin top8ed the first two Vintage Championships (2003 and 2004) and has joined the 3peaters club (which, I believe, is just me, Paul Mastriano, Brian Demars, and now Kevin).  I'm mad proud of my long time friend and podcast co-host.  

My performance was devastating, not because I chose the wrong deck or underprepared, but because of a totally non-strategic, mechanical blunder.  

I played 4c Pitch Long, and I was super excited to bust it out.  I eliminated any deck choice that couldn't compete with Landstill or Workshops.   Landstill was one of the best performing decks in my gauntlet, and all of my brews were winnowed down to just a few options, with Pitch Long (with Oath) becoming the clear choice.  In 3c versions of Pitch Long, the best tactic against Landstill was forcing through early Tinker.  Oath gives you 4 Tinkers for the Landstill matchup.  And the Burning Tendrils deck has all of the tools for fighting shops (Ancient Tombs, Hurkyl's, etc) PLUS Forces.  I also tested extensively against Grixis, Blue Angels, Keeper, RUG and BUG, all decks I expected to show up.

The only thing that made me nervous is that about 3 weeks ago, Soly told me he was on Pitch Long, so I had to bring him into my circle to shut him up Smile

I was cruising through the tournament at 4-0, and played the Fenton Bot in Round 5.  I punted both games 1 and 3, but my punting of game 3 was so egregious that I started to go on tilt.  In the first game, we both mulliganed to 5, and I managed to draw out all of his countermagic, and resolve Necro.  I just Necroed for 7, and passed.  He untapped and literally won the game with an insane topdeck and then Yawg Will.   Had I Necroed for 10 or more, as I should have, I would have won because I would have drawn Force.  That's all fine.

What derailed my freight train was this: in game 3 of our match, Greg and I had an Orchard war, which I was losing, with my own Oath in play, but neither one of us yet able to trigger it.  On the upside, I managed to draw out all of his countermagic, and resolve Burning Wish for Yawg Will to replay a land, Ritual, DT --> Lotus, Time Walk + Ancestral Recall.  I could have Natured Claim my Oath here, but decided to go for the Ritual to DT for Lotus to Ancestral + Walk on the theory that if I just Claim, he'll probably topdeck better than me, and I have tons of outs I can draw to just win or destroy the Oath.   It goes all according to plan. I draw Griselbrand, and had enough mana to hard cast it if I just play the City of Brass in hand.  I had Sol Ring multiple Moxen and 3 rainbow lands in play.   I untap, draw Academy, and STUPIDLY play Academy instead of City!!!   That meant I couldn't generate the BBBB necessary to hardcast the Griselbrand.  

All I could do after blowing it by playing Academy was pass, and he Oathed up his Griselbrand and promptly won.  I looked at my top 7, and I would have easily been able to win the game with the 7 cards on top (for example, my top 7 had Nature's Claim and green source to kill my Oath).

I was furious with myself, but was still focused.  I felt my deck was insane enough that I should just win out.  Then I did something even dumber.

In Round 6 I faced a Keeper pilot that, apparently, had mis-reported a previous rounds match results, and as a result was paired up against me.  In any case, I lost game 1 (only becuase I didn't know what he was playing and ran into 2 Mindbreak Traps on my first turn), but won game 2, and was on the verge of winning game 3 when I realized I did something very, very, very stupid.  

He had Grafdigger's Cage and Gorilla Shaman in play, and one card in hand (which I knew wasn't countermagic).  I had City of Brass and Forbidden Orchard, and Oath in play, and Ritual, Petal, and Time Walk in hand.  When he is completely tapped down with one card in hand, I go to Oath.  I had sideboarded out my Griselbrands for game 3, to try to catch his Grafdigger's plan unaware.  My plan is perfect: Oath up Maniac to the top of my library, draw it.  Play Ritual, cast it (to beat MB Trap), then Petal, Time Walk and win.  

I start Oathing and the Maniac isn't showing up.  Then, after revealing my entire library, it turns out that the Maniac isn't in my deck!  I had somehow forgot to sideboard in the Maniac and Chain of Vapor for my 2 Griselbrands. I have played many, many tournament matches of Magic, but this incredibly asinine error has never, ever happened.  My tournament was over: I was totally titled after that, and couldn't play well after that.  

Like Paul said, it's one thing to get beat strategically; it's another thing to not even be able to compete because of a stupid mechanical error that has nothing to do with the strategy of the game.  

FentonBot derailed me, but I crashed the train.  

Disappointing finish but amazing event.

The only structural criticism of the tournament itself I have is constructive: the Grinders did not work as envisioned.  The idea of grinders rolling all day is great in theory, but didn't work in practice.   The Vintage community has so few large, prestigous Vintage events that the prelim touranments at Gencon always served a role beyond simply awarding byes.  Single elimination events don't draw players who don't care much about byes, and don't offer that kind of outlet.  The grinders could have been larger and more fun if they weren't single elimination.  And since only one fired on Friday and two in Saturday, I see no reason why they couldn't just do the same as was done at Gencon in that respect.  I hope that in future years, they simply schedule a big Vintage event or two each day that awards byes as a prize among other good prizes. Relatedly, we were told that the Grinder decklists would be posted, but they never were. 

I have many people to thank, and I'm sure I'm forgetting people, but I want to be sure to mention John Jones (he knows why), and Justin Frank, my awesome new friend that I ended up staying with Thursday, and Daniel Chang (and Vintagemagic.com), who sponsored me for this event. Also, nice to meet so many new folks and reacquant myself with familiar faces.  I'm sorry if you caught me after my encounter with the Fentonbot or after round 6, as I was tilted.  

Finally, a big hearty congratulations to Joel Lim, who is a class act all the way.  

Peace out.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 05:00:30 am by Smmenen » Logged

Greolin
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2013, 09:29:35 am »

What an absolutely amazing experience. Vintage champs was everything I hoped it would be and more

Due to a situation beyond my control I was forced to go the budget route but finish a respectable 6-3 with an unpowered deck and walk away with some prize support.

Nick coss is awesome. Great event. Great idea to add the unpowered prize bracket it probably added 30-50 people to the tournament and gave some others who were attending anyway more to shoot for.

Security props to those guys pitching a shut-out at would be thieves while giving up their chance to play. Boo to anyone who gave them the least bit of trouble while they were protecting your cardboard

Grats to Joel and everyone else in the top 8. Great to see lots of faces I haven't seen in a while. Trading war stories after each round.

When we doing this again?
thorme
Full Members
Basic User

thorme
View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2013, 10:31:36 am »

I wish that the old Shortbus guys would show up to an event like this.

A few of us still play online, and I was following the coverage.  Maybe next year I'll see if I can round up several of us to head up.  Would be a blast!

Team Short Bus
Lamenting Hasbro's destruction of the G.I. Joe brand since 2005.
nedleeds
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2013, 11:32:47 am »

I echo most of the sentiment in this thread.

Logistics: I never waited more than 2 minutes in any line. I had ample space in 95% of my matches (Legacy early rounds were a little tight). Giving out Goyf mats essentially made the tourney free as you could pop them for $50 on ebay or $40 to a vendor. The TO was there essentially every minute, walking around the hall, the floor and everywhere making sure things were running smoothly. The artist room was organized and away from the hustle, perfect. The TO provided a lounge to chill out watch coverage and grab a water in between rounds. The location is a flawless victory as it is caddy corner to reading market which an orgy or fine foods and drinks. Dinner is in chinatown which is a block away.

Only failure I think is the grinder idea. My party of 6 from Atlanta just wanted to jam some games and get practice, many vintage attendees probably don't get twice weekly vintage action so just playing a few rounds is the main driver for pre-lims. I would drop the bye and run fixed 4 round swiss tourneys and cap them by time. No top 8's just award prizes based on swiss standings. This would give a vintage attendee a reasonable chance to play one friday and maybe 2 saturday to tune, tweak or waffle on their deck choice. Example, I was deciding between U/w and shops ... I gave U/w a run in the grinder and drew 2 absolutely awful hands that were unusually terrible. So I didn't even give my opponent a game and that was it. So I audibled to shops on the basis of a bad opener. I also didn't even give my opponent any practice as I was simply a punching bag.

Security: Just enough to not be burdening. But way more than enough to completely discourage theft. Quick bag checks on egress, wristband checks on ingress. Card titan security people and some Philly police wandering around ready to tazer any offenders.

People: Everyone I played was outstanding whether I was crushing them or being crushed. The head judge Abe ran a tight ship, every judge ruling was on point, I never waited more than 10 seconds for a judge. Chris Pikula was kind enough to sign my Meddling Mages (and many other MMs after coverage wrapped up).

The Event:

Sometimes ... you do this with shops.

Other times ... you never see the card Mishra's Workshop and you lose.

True to the O'Brien school I decided on StripclubShops with 4 x Wasteland, 4 x Ghost Quarter and Strip Mine main over Metalworker Cavern shops. Choosing mana denial and board control over the explosiveness of Metalworker. Three Crucible of World main to hedge the Landstill and mirror. 9 strip mines is also not awful against gush decks being stingy with basics. You can also often crucible lock Oath if you can sphere them out on the play. I also eschewed Smokestack in favor of more game ending clocks, this was a product maybe of playing against some GW teeg/thalia/hate decks in which it's really hard to put Smokestack on the stack. I had access in my 75 to 3 Wurmcoils, 2 Steel Hellkites, 1 Trike, 1 Karn and 2 Batterskulls (along with LSG obv).

Round one on the draw. I started off with a draw against Heiner. I won a close game 1, making an error and allowing him a window with BSC. I double blocked correctly however as I understand Trample. It was tight though, I had to suicide my Wurmcoil to gain enough life to not eat it to my own Lightbolt Upkeep Machine. I think Heiner and I were a little tight, he had several GRVs and I had one as well for missing crypt. Game 2 went pretty long, I dealt first with his Mox Monkey after delaying it with Revoker. Later he resolved Heretic and I probably should have thought have conceding but I thought I could Crucible lock him out of red to turn it into Stinkdrinker Daredevil. We were running low on time and I decided to give that a run. Heiner eventually got lethal by blowing up artifacts, attacking, tinkering etc. and he took it in turns. A logistical error maybe on my part, after Heiner got the GRVs he played a little slow - in his defense - to avoid the game loss but I didn't think the pace was enough to warrant anything, also it was in his best interest to play fast since I was up a game and would certainly be favored in a short game 3 on the play. I also made a play error suboptimally tapping my mana whilst firebreathing with my angry russian metal dragon.

Round two on the draw vs. Andrew on 4 basic Island Wizards. I keep a non shop 7 on the draw and Bob on the play just dooms me, maybe on the play I could have gotten there. I never get any real pressure on his resources and eventually blue Ambush Viper with all the turns beats me down. Game 2 was a little closer, again I can't mana lock with his basics. But I think I had a fair amount of spheres, my issue this game is drawing something with power and toughness. I can't obtain a clock and thus the lifeloss from Bob is fine. We end at 0 me, 4 life him.

Round three ... on the draw vs. Rich. Game one I don't think either of us had especially broken openers. I revoke DRS I think, he forces something important (Golem?). My Lightning Bolt Machine mauls me and eventually I die to it (my notes show 4 missed crypt rolls :/). On the play in game 2 I get a good start and finish with a Steel Hellkite, I do make a play error and allow a Mox Ruby to resolve. Game 3 rich has 3-4 restricted cards in his opening salvo and I just can't come back.

Round four ... on the ... actual ... draw ... again. So now I'm out of top 8 and it's barely lunch. I stopped writing down names but I remember his deck contain 2 Revised basic Islands and he was on gush and kept one landers with cantrips. I chalice lock him and get out spheres. Nothing to see here.

Round five on the PLAY. Bob control again. Also with 2-3 basic islands. Game one I get a sack hand of chalice 0, chalice 1 go. Hellkite crushes. Game 2 I slaughter myself with Ancient Tombs and he eventually gets Key/Vault. Game 3 chalices go back in and I get another multiple chalice board state. A revoker actually does most of the work here as I can't find a threat. #youthfulKnight.

Round six on the draw again vs. Smokestack shops. Game one I think I'm locked but his own Null Rod hurts him more than me. He eventually stacks me out and I sandbag a Shop. He doesn't have a strip yet and he's mana tight, my Revoker that had named Sol Ring got smoked but he chooses to sac his stack instead of his Null Rod. He doesn't draw another shop though and his mox/ring are neutered. I untap and build mana into a Crucible lock. Game two we both deny resources but my Revoker just pecks away at his life.

Round seven on the play vs Oath (grisel/emrakul). I get a fair opener but can't keep him from hitting the Staples Easy Button (tm). Game two I get a really good mana lock but can't close it with a threat, eventually he crawls to enough mana to Hurkyl's me and hit the easy button. This is where I wanted the threat density of forgemaster. I was just sitting there with a bunch of spheres waiting for a strip lock or a man. To his credit he recognized the strip lock and squeezed a Claim through on my Crucible after we talked about priority. All around cool opponent and good games.

Round 8 on the draw vs metalworker. I get chaliced out and don't play magic game one on the draw. Game 2 is insane chalice 0, thorn untap wurmcoil action or something. Game three on the draw he's a little mana tight and I have a super fast Batterskull, into a Ghost Quarter festival, into Tangle Wire. Eventually since we are in the turd bracket I decide to send my germ to hell and equip my Batterskull to my Steel Hellkite to create the antichrist.

Round 9 on the draw vs. Merfolk. I don't see a shop in approximately 50 cards and just get murdered. Game one I experiment with Ghost Quarter locking him to see how many Islands he's running. 11 as it turns out. Game 2 I'm actually in this game but draw waste, waste, tomb, ghost quarter whilst I have him soft locked. I needed a man. By the time I have a man he has enough mana to Hurkyl me in the balls. Twice.

All in all good times, I made a couple of errors had a couple bad draws and was on the draw quite a bit. But you go into shops with that as a bit of a "known issue". Having played a 9 rounder (the Friday ~90 man @ Gencon) and this I think I'm off shops for my next long tourney. Living off the top of your deck is a harrowing and frustrating situation at times. It doesn't out weigh the on the play blow outs you get every few rounds.

the fact that WotC ditched coverage of Grand Prix bad Coastal Tower or whatever format it was is  a really strong statement. The cynic might say they are whoring vintage to promote MTGO, but I think it's positive either way. They sent a 1st class team to cover the event, they had writers on site snapping pics. Like ... my russian shop deck.

I lost that game :/ WHYUHAVESOMANYISLANDS Andrew?

My dredge cards being borrowed. He actually won that game after laughing at Blightsteel.

Congrats to the winner and again thank you to TDG, Head Judge Abe and Nick Coss for running a smooth ship.
ErtaiAdept
Adepts
Basic User

cmasley1218
View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2013, 11:43:57 am »

I will chime in with my $0.02 on the event as well:

Having never been to gen-con, this was my first ever champs experience and I don't think I could have asked for a better one.  I never bothered picking up power for gen-con as the distance meant that I probably wouldn't have made it there for at least a few more years and I had enough cards to play local proxy events.

When I heard that champs was in Philly this year I realized that this was a chance I couldn't miss.  I went from owning no power to having 6 of 9 pieces over just this year, and I have to say that playing in this event made every penny spent and every card traded absolutely worth it.

To both Nicks you are both amazing gentlemen and a great idol for me as a TO and I appreciate everything you bring to this community.  If there is anything I can do to push wizards to get this to be the new norm....let me know and I will do it.

Finally a big thanks to all the guys I travelled with and roomed with.  You were all awesome!

Bill Copes bought me a beer after using the power of his mind to remove all the Bazaars and Serum Powders from my deck in two consecutive games.

Team TMD
"Dice have six sides for a reason.  There is no excitement in surety my friend."
mmcgeach
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2013, 12:40:03 pm »

So where can we see some decklists?  What's in this famous merfolk list?
Cruel Ultimatum
Full Members
Basic User

froz3nn
View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2013, 12:58:32 pm »

So where can we see some decklists?  What's in this famous merfolk list?

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/eternal13/welcome#6a

Egan

ECW
Greolin
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2013, 01:10:42 pm »

I'm sure nick will also post a to report at some point. I am curious to see what other unpowered decks did well
ramrodjon
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2013, 01:27:57 pm »

@nedleeds : "Hurkyl me in the balls.  Twice".  Lol, Sean, it was great meeting and playing you.  That game 2 opener looked pretty bleak for me (Lotus, Crypt, Golem I think?), but Hurkyl came through big time.  She wants me to offer your balls an ice pack.

I hear the train a'comin'...it's rolling round the bend.
kwis
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2013, 01:37:40 pm »

This sounds like an insane good event. Really wish this will be the default vintage champs, as I want to play in one of these!

Also, LOL at Gerard vs Stephen at R7! Vault+Key+Clique has to attack for 5 turns (to deal lethal!) That's hilarious!
Grand Inquisitor
Always the play, never the thing
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2013, 02:28:59 pm »

I wanted to echo the praise for this weekend's event.  I went to the original Waterbury's that heralded the rebirth of Vintage back in the early 2000's.  The best compliment I can think of is that these are a worthy successor.

They did a number of things right:
- Gravitas of event
- Prizes
etc, etc.

Kudos to Nick and his team.

There is not a single argument in your post. Just statements that have no meaning. - Guli

It's pretty awesome that I did that - Smmenen
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2013, 02:30:29 pm »

I wish that the old Shortbus guys would show up to an event like this.

A few of us still play online, and I was following the coverage.  Maybe next year I'll see if I can round up several of us to head up.  Would be a blast!

That would be amazing.

This year was such a throwback.   Kevin playing Keeper v. Merfolk in the top 8?   I asked Kevin the last time he played Keeper in a Vintage tournament, and he said probably 2000 at Origins Wink  

I was also telling someone this weekend about Josh's attempt to build the PSA 10 Alpha set into his wall with a notch made for each card.  What ever happened to that?  when I last saw it, it was more than 50% complete.

True to the O'Brien school I decided on StripclubShops with 4 x Wasteland, 4 x Ghost Quarter and Strip Mine main over Metalworker Cavern shops.

Speaking of old school Smile

If Sean hadn't been playing Workshops I was going to be very disappointed.   Full circle.  

Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

Creator of Type 4 - Discoverer of Steve Menendian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2013, 02:47:12 pm »

at over 250 people is there room for a second high profile no-proxy event each year?

Also, I hope someone saved the lists for the top 8 unpowered decks so someone can feature them as well.  It's important for people looking at future sanctioned events that want to compete in the budget category to have a frame of reference to see what's worked in the past when building their decks.

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
2013 NYSE OPEN I CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2013, 03:03:32 pm »

I start Oathing and the Maniac isn't showing up.  Then, after revealing my entire library, it turns out that the Maniac isn't in my deck!  I had somehow forgot to sideboard in the Maniac and Chain of Vapor for my 2 Griselbrands. I have played many, many tournament matches of Magic, but this incredibly asinine error has never, ever happened.  My tournament was over: I was totally titled after that, and couldn't play well after that.  

Haha!  I laugh with you, not at you.  This is totally the sort of bonehead move that I make at least once every few months.  It is very reassuring to see that a pro at your level is sometimes susceptible to the same sort of "whoops, I lose" that I am. Smile

Sorry about the loss, though!

msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2013, 03:09:07 pm »

Is there a recording of this anywhere? I want to watch some of the games I missed earlier in the day.

Videos just got posted.  (I want to watch them as much as you guys.. so figured I'd spread the
word)  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmMOPQZPPpsGCGthB8pglCw

Had a great time this weekend and I'll without a question be back next year.  Big ups to Nick Coss and company!
The one and only regret that I have after this weekend... is that I should have been playing in those grinders.

Was great to see all the old friends I have.. and to hang out with the many new ones.  The community is pretty awesome.  
Really looking forward to next year

Can someone fix this link?

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Winter Grudge Match lV Top 4

Creator of The Mana Drain Vintage League.

Website for The League:

http://tmdvl.github.io

Zombies ate your brains!
JACO
Full Members
Basic User

Don't be a meatball.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2013, 03:19:29 pm »

at over 250 people is there room for a second high profile no-proxy event each year?

Also, I hope someone saved the lists for the top 8 unpowered decks so someone can feature them as well.  It's important for people looking at future sanctioned events that want to compete in the budget category to have a frame of reference to see what's worked in the past when building their decks.
Assuming Nick and staff saved all lists as requested, we're going to have some savage stuff on Eternal Central coming up once everything arrives in mail. Full metagame breakdowns, lists, what each player was playing by name, etc.

Want to write about Vintage, Legacy, Modern, Type 4, or Commander/EDH? Eternal Central is looking for writers! Contact me. Follow me on Twitter @JMJACO. Follow Eternal Central on Twitter @EternalCentral.
poggydude
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2013, 03:25:31 pm »

if it isnt possible for the organizers to get the unpowered lists up, i do my part to post my list that top 8ed for unpowered(and also snuck into top 64 by the skin of my teeth/breakers), mostly for egostroking, but also because as paul indicated it is super helpful for the community to see.
Varal
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2013, 03:35:11 pm »

It would also be interesting to compare the average finish of powered vs unpowered decks, both in money won and in games won.
nedleeds
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2013, 05:35:32 pm »

It would also be interesting to compare the average finish of powered vs unpowered decks, both in money won and in games won.

The Junk Hatebear list referenced in the WotC article is unpowered,  was piloted by Shawn French, and he finished #2 Unpowered. We built it the night before in the hotel room and did a little tweaking the morning of, going down to only 2 Mindcensors. I think it's a solid list even with a little power sprinkled in.
Demagoguery
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2013, 06:12:04 pm »

The Junk Hatebear list referenced in the WotC article is unpowered,  was piloted by Shawn French, and he finished #2 Unpowered. We built it the night before in the hotel room and did a little tweaking the morning of, going down to only 2 Mindcensors. I think it's a solid list even with a little power sprinkled in.
What was his Standing over all?
Iron_Chef
Goddamned Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Managing Partner, Top Deck Games and CardTitan.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2013, 06:41:05 pm »

To give you guys my very quick take on a few of your feedback.

Grinders: My updated vision of this involves these not being swiss, and more then one by being awarded.  These definitely did not come together as well as I had hoped.  Also, I did not have time during the event to post the winning decklists as I had intended.  They will be posted by the end of the week, hopefully on the mothership as well.

Non-powered decks/Top8: Ray Robillard was the first place "budget" deck, at approximately 20th place overall.  He won an extra $400 credit for his efforts.  His deck? MERFOLK!

A note on your feedback:  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE E-mail me at Feedback@cardtitan.com with all of your feedback regarding the Eternal Weekend.  It's very important that I collect every positive and negative piece of feedback with the intent to make future Vintage & Legacy Championships even better.  Seriously, email me.

-Nick

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

"Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it." -Laurence J. Peter

I'm that guy who runs that thing.
Greolin
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2013, 06:43:59 pm »

I finished 49th overall at 6-3 with mono-red painter #3 among budget decks....I made $150 in nick coss credit

Every deck I faced was powered
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2013, 07:01:31 pm »

Grinders: My updated vision of this involves these not being swiss, and more then one by being awarded.  These definitely did not come together as well as I had hoped.  Also, I did not have time during the event to post the winning decklists as I had intended.  They will be posted by the end of the week, hopefully on the mothership as well.

Nick,

While awarding more than one bye would be an improvement, i think what Sean said is accurate:

Only failure I think is the grinder idea. My party of 6 from Atlanta just wanted to jam some games and get practice, many vintage attendees probably don't get twice weekly vintage action so just playing a few rounds is the main driver for pre-lims. I would drop the bye and run fixed 4 round swiss tourneys and cap them by time. No top 8's just award prizes based on swiss standings. This would give a vintage attendee a reasonable chance to play one friday and maybe 2 saturday to tune, tweak or waffle on their deck choice. Example, I was deciding between U/w and shops ... I gave U/w a run in the grinder and drew 2 absolutely awful hands that were unusually terrible. So I didn't even give my opponent a game and that was it. So I audibled to shops on the basis of a bad opener. I also didn't even give my opponent any practice as I was simply a punching bag.

I completely agree with Sean.

I arrived on site around 1PM on Friday and signed up for the grinder.  It didn't fire until the evening (5:30-6PM IIRC).   The basic problem is that 1) people want to play in a swiss tournament to get practice for the main event, 2) people don't value the bye very much (I told Tom Dixon that they were opening a second grinder on Saturday, and he said, iirc, that it was a waste to play for the bye), and 3) people don't like single elimination tournaments, and 4) waiting around all day for a grinder to fire sucks.

My roommates Kevin and Theo signed up for the first grinder on Saturday, and when I went to the room they were napping around 3:30 PM, not knowing that their grinder had already fired.  they missed their round and because it was single elimination, were both knocked out, losing 20 bucks in the process.

When you sign up for a grinder, you basically had to wait around all day in the side event room to learn when it fired.  That's far from ideal because that could happen at almost any time.

Because of these factors, the grinders won't get the maximum number of sign-ups that you would get if you just had a swiss tournament plus top 8.   I think the way to go is to do what they do at Gencon:

Day 1: A Prelim Tournament at like 2 or 3PM

Day 2: A Prelim tournament that fires at like 11AM and one that fires at like 4PM

Day 3: Vintage Champs

I think it is absolutely necessary to have a clearly pre-scheduled prelim tournament announced for the convenience of players, so that they know when to arrive and can plan for it.  It's awful to sit around and just wait for a grinder that might never fire for hours or might fire in 10 minutes.  If there is more demand than you can always add another tournament ad hoc.  But I strongly believe that simply awarding more byes won't make the grinders run better.   The grinder idea is a good one, but it just didn't/doesn't work in practice.  

At Gencon, prelims sometimes got 70 players.   That makes those events prestigious and valuable in their own right.  

I would also allow players to pre-reg for prelim events next year if possible.

One other suggestion;

* While putting the pairings up on twitter was awesome, I think it would be even better if you put your opponent and match points next to your number, that way when both players sat down, you can both be sure you at the right place.  that might have solved that one problem where a player mis-reported his results.   Also, I would love it if you posted the standings on twitter after each round as well.

The use of technology was one of my favorite innovations of your tournament.  I'd like to see more use of it.  

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:06:36 pm by Smmenen » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: