TheManaDrain.com
February 25, 2020, 12:29:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Notion Thiefs, replacement effects  (Read 1214 times)
PETER FLUGZEUG
Full Members
Basic User

New Ease

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 08, 2014, 08:59:57 am »

Relevant Text of Notion thief:
If an opponent would draw a card except the first one he or she draws in each of his or her draw steps, instead that player skips that draw and you draw a card.

Nr. 1:
Player A controls 1 Notion thief, player B plays ponder. Player A draws 1 card.
Player A controls 2 Notion thief, player B plays ponder. Player A draws 1 card.
Player A controls 1 Notion thief, player B controls 1 notion thief, plays ponder. Player B draws 1 card.

Now it gets complicated:
Player A controls 2 Notion thief, player B controls 1 notion thief, plays ponder. Player A draws 1 card.
My interpretation of how things work:
Player B would draw a card, Player A's Notion Thief (one of the two is selected) replaces that with "player A draws 1 card",
Player B's Notion Thief replaces that with "Player B draws 1 card", player A's other notion thief replaces that with "player A draws a card". Now, all replacement effects have been applied once, therefore they cannot apply again. --> Player A draws a card.

Is this correct?

Nr. 2:
Player A controls 1 Notion thief, player B activates bazaar of bagdhad. Player A draws 2 cards, player B discards 3.

Player A controls 1 Notion thief, player B activates bazaar of bagdhad with dredge cards in his graveyard. Player B chooses which replacement effect to apply (dredge, probably).

Is this correct?

I will be playing four of these.  I'll worry about the deck later.
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 09:39:39 am »

I believe that number 1 is correct given my understanding of replacement effects. Relevant Rules Text:

616. Interaction of Replacement and/or Prevention Effects

616.1. If two or more replacement and/or prevention effects are attempting to modify the way an event affects an object or player, the affected object's controller (or its owner if it has no controller) or the affected player chooses one to apply, following the steps listed below. If two or more players have to make these choices at the same time, choices are made in APNAP order (see rule 101.4).

616.1e Once the chosen effect has been applied, this process is repeated (taking into account only replacement or prevention effects that would now be applicable) until there are no more left to apply.

I know that number 2 is correct as this has come up for me before in tournament and MTGO play.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:48:02 am by Chubby Rain » Logged

"Why are we making bad decks? I mean, honestly, what is our reason for doing this?"

"Is this a Vintage deck or a Cube deck?" "Is it sad that you have to ask?"

"Is that a draft deck?" "Why do people keep asking that?"

Random conversations...
Clariax
Global Moderator
Basic User

Clariax
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 01:39:00 pm »

All of these scenarios are correct.

Aaron Cutler
DCI L2