TheManaDrain.com
February 20, 2019, 06:36:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The Mana Drain Vintage League Season 1  (Read 6200 times)
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« on: April 20, 2015, 08:30:50 am »

The players for The Mana Drain Vintage League Season 1 have been chosen:

Matthew Gottshall (Myself)

Brian Kelly 

James Saltsman 

Kael Williams 

Sean Ottaway 

Stormanimagus 

Maximum C Dawg 

Wappla 

White Lotus 

Dave Kap 

Before it begins I need to figure a few things out, matches and what not. I also need to try and figure out how to send recorded matches to Facebook and such, help with this would be greatly appriciated. I must also add that the league will not begin until May, since I have some personal things to take care of this upcoming weekend. I will also add that the week starting on the 20th of June (the weeks for the League start on Saturday) I will not be able to participate due to my wedding, so the League will take a break that week. Good Luck to all the Participants and start brewing!

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Winter Grudge Match lV Top 4

Creator of The Mana Drain Vintage League.

Website for The League:

http://tmdvl.github.io

Zombies ate your brains!
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 01:59:31 pm »

After a lot of randomizing and checking to make sure everyone is only playing once, I present the Schedule for Season 1 of The Mana Drain Vintage League:

Week 1 starts May 2nd:

Week 1

Matthew Gottshall  

Vs  

James Saltsman  

Brian Kelly  

Vs  

Maximum C Dawg  

Kael Williams  

Vs  

Sean Ottaway  

Stormanimagus  

Vs  

White Lotus  

Wappla  

Vs  

Dave Kap

Week 2

Matthew Gottshall  

Vs  

Maximum C Dawg  

Brian Kelly

Vs  

Wappla  

James Saltsman  

Vs  

White Lotus  

Kael Williams  

Vs  

Stormanimagus  

Sean Ottaway  

Vs  

Dave Kap

Week 3

Matthew Gottshall  

Vs  

Wappla  

Brian Kelly  

Vs  

James Saltsman  

Kael Williams  

Vs  

Maximum C Dawg  

Sean Ottaway  

Vs  

White Lotus  

Stormanimagus  

Vs  

Dave Kap

End of First Trimester

Week 4

Matthew Gottshall  

Vs  

Kael Williams  

Brian Kelly  

Vs  

Sean Ottaway  

James Saltsman  

Vs  

Dave Kap  

Stormanimagus  

Vs  

Wappla  

White Lotus  

Vs  

Maximum C Dawg

Week 5

Matthew Gottshall  

Vs  

Sean Ottaway  

Brian Kelly  

Vs  

Kael Williams  

James Saltsman  

Vs  

Stormanimagus  

Wappla  

Vs  

Maximum C Dawg  

Dave Kap  

Vs  

White Lotus

Week 6

Matthew Gottshall  

Vs  

White Lotus  

Brian Kelly  

Vs  

Stormaninagus  

James Saltsman  

Vs  

Kael Williams  

Sean Ottaway  

Vs  

Wappla  

Dave Kap

Vs  

Maximum C Dawg

End of Second Trimester

Week 7

Matthew Gottshall  

Vs  

Brian Kelly  

James Saltsman  

Vs  

Sean Ottaway  

Wappla  

Vs  

White Lotus  

Kael Williams  

Vs  

Dave Kap  

Stormanimagus  

Vs

Maximum C Dawg

Week 8

Matthew Gottshall  

Vs  

Stormanimagus  

Brian Kelly  

Vs  

Dave Kap  

James Saltsman  

Vs  

Wappla  

Sean Ottaway  

Vs  

Maximum C Dawg  

Kael Williams  

Vs  

White Lotus

Week 9

Matthew Gottshall  

Vs  

Dave Kap  

Brian  

Vs  

White Lotus  

James Saltsman  

Vs  

Maximum C Dawg  

Kael Williams  

Vs  

Wappla  

Sean Ottaway  

Vs  

Stormanimagus  

After all 9 weeks are finished the top 4 will proceed to playoffs where it will be best of 5 matches, just like in the VSL. There will also be tie breakers where needed, and highest seed gets a bye to the finals and the second seed gets a bye to the semis, just like the VSL. Good Luck to all participants and start brewing your decks!

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 02:26:20 pm »

So, on May 3rd the decklist for each player for Week 1,2 and 3 MUST be published here after I start a thread titled: "First Trimester Decklists" the same will occur for the second and third trimesters as well. The dates for them will be May 24th and June 14th, but keep in mind the week starting the 20th of June will be a week off from the League because of my wedding.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
Stormanimagus
Basic User

maestrosmith55
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 02:58:03 pm »

So, on May 3rd the decklist for each player for Week 1,2 and 3 MUST be published here after I start a thread titled: "First Trimester Decklists" the same will occur for the second and third trimesters as well. The dates for them will be May 24th and June 14th, but keep in mind the week starting the 20th of June will be a week off from the League because of my wedding.

Do we have to choose the same deck for the first trimester for all 3 matches?

"To light a candle is to cast a shadow. . ."

—Ursula K. Leguin
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 03:01:13 pm »

Do we have to choose the same deck for the first trimester for all 3 matches?

Yes that is why I'm posting the entire schedule now so you can decide what to play for each trimester

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 03:55:02 pm »

1.  What time and days is this going to be?
2.  Are you broadcasting it live?
3.  Is there commentary?  And as a follow up any chance we can get Soly and Menendian in the booth together to do it?
Stormanimagus
Basic User

maestrosmith55
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 04:32:48 pm »

1.  What time and days is this going to be?
2.  Are you broadcasting it live?
3.  Is there commentary?  And as a follow up any chance we can get Soly and Menendian in the booth together to do it?

Well, not that it's super high tech or anything, but I think Randy had some special software and some sort of secure internet connection to get both commentators on screen without any vocal delay and with the action visible as well. If someone is tech savvy enough to offer insight on how to do this it would be great to have it live when at all possible. Two commentators is also much more fun for the viewers. Think of how boring a baseball game is without the commentators if you are only watching it on TV. A good magic viewing experience relies on good commentators.

-Storm
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 04:40:44 pm by Stormanimagus » Logged

—Ursula K. Leguin
DaveKap
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 04:38:16 pm »

Decklists will be published prior to R1,4,7 starting? This would be different from VSL where the 1st round of each trimester was a surprise.
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 03:45:18 am »

Decklists will be published prior to R1,4,7 starting? This would be different from VSL where the 1st round of each trimester was a surprise.

I apologize I forgot that the matches weren't on the same day. Instead of what I said, the decklists will be posted the Saturday starting the second week of each trimester, week 2, week 5 and week 8.

As for streaming, I would love it but I have no knowledge of it. If someone would be willing to help that would be great!

As for commentators, I would love it as well, but with having the matches anytime through the week, it would be near impossible to assemble, and I also have no knowledge of commentating or how to go about that, once again if anyone would like to help it would be appreciated.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
Attrition
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 10:51:54 am »

Watching games live isn't the big draw for me.  It's the opportunity to watch the games at all.  It would be much easier to just record the games and then have commentators record over the video at their convenience, before posting it to YouTube.  Looking forward to watching the matches!
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 01:22:30 pm »

Oh, snap.  I was interested in this and now it's a thing, huh?  I guess I'd better download Cockatrice and learn how to use it, huh?
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 01:25:00 pm »

Oh, snap.  I was interested in this and now it's a thing, huh?  I guess I'd better download Cockatrice and learn how to use it, huh?

Lolz yes. At least you have until May 2nd

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
WhiteLotus
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 07:11:05 pm »

Wouldn't it make more sense to publish the games on youtube all at the same time instead of a live stream on twitch. That way everyone can schedule their match to their convenience, play and the commentary can even be done separately as an edit of Cockatrice Replay. It also makes it a lot simpler for viewers since they don't have to memorize the schedule and just tune it on a prescheduled date when they know the videos will be available.

"Your first mistake was thinking I would let you live long enough to make a second."
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 11:04:26 am »

Okay, so I downloaded Cockatrice and I think I have a handle on building decks and so forth.  I'm a little unclear on the mechanics of the software in-game though.  Is there a user guide anywhere?
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 01:59:04 pm »

Wouldn't it make more sense to publish the games on youtube all at the same time instead of a live stream on twitch. That way everyone can schedule their match to their convenience, play and the commentary can even be done separately as an edit of Cockatrice Replay. It also makes it a lot simpler for viewers since they don't have to memorize the schedule and just tune it on a prescheduled date when they know the videos will be available.

This is a good idea, does someone know how to put videos from Cockatrice onto YouTube? We could create a group of videos for each week and have them organized for people to view.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
brianpk80
2015 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 02:33:41 pm »

Okay, so I downloaded Cockatrice and I think I have a handle on building decks and so forth.  I'm a little unclear on the mechanics of the software in-game though.  Is there a user guide anywhere?

If I'm signed in, you can send me a message and I'll help. 

"It seems like a normal Monk deck with all the normal Monk cards.  And then the clouds divide...  something is revealed in the skies."
Stormanimagus
Basic User

maestrosmith55
View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 11:21:28 pm »

Guys, I was just talking to a friend about this on cockatrice and I really think we need to rethink the format of this tourney. There will be no interest if there isn't commentary and I think the wish list should include this:

1. LIVE commentary (getting everyone to log in at the same time creates buzz)
2. Commentary not done by the players playing the match (objective eyes and voices are better)
3. Dual Casting with 2 commentators.

Essentially I'm saying we should be more like the VSL and make this more professional.

Also, perhaps we should either:

A. Limit the tourney to Americans to make the cast times work for most people or:
B. Throw in a second SET time slot that is on a weekend morning for matches involving a European player.

So for example:

Time slot A = All American vs. American matches and falls on a Wednesday night at 6:00 PM PST/9:00 PM EST
Time slot B = All American vs. Euro or Euro vs. Euro matches and falls on a Sunday Morning at 11:00 AM PST/ 2:00 PM EST

Just a thought guys. Wanna make this good!

-Storm

—Ursula K. Leguin
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 03:40:56 am »

Guys, I was just talking to a friend about this on cockatrice and I really think we need to rethink the format of this tourney. There will be no interest if there isn't commentary and I think the wish list should include this:

1. LIVE commentary (getting everyone to log in at the same time creates buzz)
2. Commentary not done by the players playing the match (objective eyes and voices are better)
3. Dual Casting with 2 commentators.

Essentially I'm saying we should be more like the VSL and make this more professional.

Also, perhaps we should either:

A. Limit the tourney to Americans to make the cast times work for most people or:
B. Throw in a second SET time slot that is on a weekend morning for matches involving a European player.

So for example:

Time slot A = All American vs. American matches and falls on a Wednesday night at 6:00 PM PST/9:00 PM EST
Time slot B = All American vs. Euro or Euro vs. Euro matches and falls on a Sunday Morning at 11:00 AM PST/ 2:00 PM EST

Just a thought guys. Wanna make this good!

-Storm

We can't have everyone play the same day, some people can only do certain days, like myself, I'm only available weekends. I like the idea, and I wish there could be commentary but I just don't see how it's possible honestly. If we take the recorded matches and someone then commentates (not sure if this is correct wording), that would be nice anf probably the best we can get.

Honestly I think YouTube is the best way to spread the matches.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 11:42:01 am »

If I'm signed in, you can send me a message and I'll help. 

How about this weekend?
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 09:51:30 am »

We have unfortunately lost Kael Williams from the League, as he has recently got a new job. In his place however we will be getting Tom Dixon! Due to certain circumstances though, he will not be on Themanadrain at all, so I will have to post lists and such for him.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 03:04:41 pm »

What's the status of all of this?  I think I have sufficiently learned how to play Cockatrice now, but beyond that I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 03:49:17 am »

What's the status of all of this?  I think I have sufficiently learned how to play Cockatrice now, but beyond that I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.

Each week you must get ahold of your scheduled opponent and decide when you two will play, once it's over the winner will post that they won and in what fashion (2-0,2-1)
After the first week of each trimester is over, basically the day before or the day of the start of the second week in each trimester, each player must post the decklist they will use for that trimester under the topic I will have started corresponding to the trimester.
Any other questions?

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 10:49:09 am »

So there's no coverage or anything like that?  Just exchange handles with the opponent and report the result?
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 11:03:05 am »

So there's no coverage or anything like that?  Just exchange handles with the opponent and report the result?

If you can find someone to watch the matches, all at different times and days and do commentary for them, be my guest, I just feel it will be too difficult. I plan on putting the videos on YouTube though, so that's something.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 03:36:30 pm »

If you can find someone to watch the matches, all at different times and days and do commentary for them, be my guest, I just feel it will be too difficult. I plan on putting the videos on YouTube though, so that's something.

How will they get on youtube?  Who is recording?
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2015, 03:41:03 am »

How will they get on youtube?  Who is recording?

Cockatrice has it's own recording. It records every match played.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2015, 05:53:49 pm »

Well, not that it's super high tech or anything, but I think Randy had some special software and some sort of secure internet connection to get both commentators on screen without any vocal delay and with the action visible as well. If someone is tech savvy enough to offer insight on how to do this it would be great to have it live when at all possible. Two commentators is also much more fun for the viewers. Think of how boring a baseball game is without the commentators if you are only watching it on TV. A good magic viewing experience relies on good commentators.
-Storm

You can see it when they mess up. It looks like they're using Google Hangouts to share the hands in real time and Skype to have the commentary on the same page.

As for streaming, I would love it but I have no knowledge of it. If someone would be willing to help that would be great!

Streaming is super easy to set up. Here's a guide to setting it up for MTGO. It won't be much different from Cockatrice's set up: http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2curz6/how_to_stream_magic_online_v40_guide/

If they're all streamed at once, that gives people a chance to all live chat which will be a draw for some people. I think stream them first (so people can watch them together) and then publish to YouTube immediately after is a good system.

This is a good idea, does someone know how to put videos from Cockatrice onto YouTube? We could create a group of videos for each week and have them organized for people to view.

You'd need to do some kind of screen recording just like you would with streaming.

Instead of tearing things down we should calmly explain our opinions.
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2015, 10:33:02 pm »

Man, I don't have contact information for anyone.  Brain Kelly, dawg, I think we're supposed to rumble sometime this week. 
Stormanimagus
Basic User

maestrosmith55
View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2015, 02:01:19 am »

Yeah, White Lotus, respond via PM and I'll give you my skype?

-Storm

—Ursula K. Leguin
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2015, 07:37:05 am »

Man, I don't have contact information for anyone.  Brain Kelly, dawg, I think we're supposed to rumble sometime this week. 

Brian and I have both tried to contact you via message on here. You might want to check your messages.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: