TheManaDrain.com
February 20, 2019, 01:09:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Mana Drain Vintage League Season 1  (Read 6197 times)
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2015, 11:43:46 pm »

Here is an idea I'm thinking about for the playoffs:

We use the records from the swiss rounds, whether they won 2-0 or 2-1, and the best record has choice of play for playoffs.

For Example if we have two people both go 7-2 in the swiss and one goes 14-4 in games and the other player goes 13-5 in games or such the first player would have choice.

What are everyone's thoughts on this idea for playoffs?

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Winter Grudge Match lV Top 4

Creator of The Mana Drain Vintage League.

Website for The League:

http://tmdvl.github.io

Zombies ate your brains!
Stormanimagus
Basic User

maestrosmith55
View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2015, 03:11:43 pm »

I will be researching this in the near future, but if others want to take up the mantle I think this is conjunction with Twitch is the direction we want to go for live video streaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sl3IKWj7WQ

-Storm

"To light a candle is to cast a shadow. . ."

—Ursula K. Leguin
wappla
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2015, 07:56:20 pm »

posting here to avoid cluttering the first semester decklist and results thread with production-related content.

I think it's not only fine but actually better for this type of league that it develop organically rather than relying on the massive effort of a single person. It means it's more likely to be sustainable as a central organizer is less likely to burn out.

I did some doodling a couple weeks ago, and some more in the past couple days, to develop something that could be used in videos.

click for higher quality image

I knew I wanted to play with the league and the forum's namesake card, taking it's most essential characteristic, it's casting cost. I also wanted to communicate the informal, friendly, inclusive, and relaxed nature of the league. The all lowercase text does this effectively. Initial versions used a field of light blue, further reinforcing the connection with the card Mana Drain. Blue was dropped as it was not neutral enough; I didn't want the image to so strongly suggest blue control mirrors. For those who care, the type is Akzidenz Grotesk.

As video gets going, let me know if helped is needed with other frames, graphics, etc, are needed.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 09:43:46 pm by wappla » Logged
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2015, 07:49:15 pm »

posting here to avoid cluttering the first semester decklist and results thread with production-related content.

I think it's not only fine but actually better for this type of league that it develop organically rather than relying on the massive effort of a single person. It means it's more likely to be sustainable as a central organizer is less likely to burn out.

I did some doodling a couple weeks ago, and some more in the past couple days, to develop something that could be used in videos.

I knew I wanted to play with the league and the forum's namesake card, taking it's most essential characteristic, it's casting cost. I also wanted to communicate the informal, friendly, inclusive, and relaxed nature of the league. The all lowercase text does this effectively. Initial versions used a field of light blue, further reinforcing the connection with the card Mana Drain. Blue was dropped as it was not neutral enough; I didn't want the image to so strongly suggest blue control mirrors. For those who care, the type is Akzidenz Grotesk.

As video gets going, let me know if helped is needed with other frames, graphics, etc, are needed.

Wappla, I love this idea for the League. Thank you for your time and assistance.

Now for all the participants:
Could you tell me your actual names, I would like to send everyone Facebook Friend Requests so that we have another way of communicating with each other.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
Stormanimagus
Basic User

maestrosmith55
View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2015, 07:54:28 pm »

My name is Noah Smith. I have an actor's headshot as my FB picture.

-Storm

"To light a candle is to cast a shadow. . ."

—Ursula K. Leguin
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2015, 11:53:44 am »

In search of:

A person who loves Vintage and is knowledgeable about the format and who would like to be a second commentator for The Mana Drain Vintage League.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
DaveKap
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2015, 02:47:05 pm »

Here is an idea I'm thinking about for the playoffs:

We use the records from the swiss rounds, whether they won 2-0 or 2-1, and the best record has choice of play for playoffs.

For Example if we have two people both go 7-2 in the swiss and one goes 14-4 in games and the other player goes 13-5 in games or such the first player would have choice.

What are everyone's thoughts on this idea for playoffs?

In a completely biased view, as a Delver player, the vast majority of my matches go to 3 games, which means a games-based standing will favor a higher variance deck. I'd prefer match-based standings. A single match tie-breaker for those tied for playoff spots, a la VSL. my 2 cents.
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2015, 12:33:38 pm »

Here's a question for all participants, should we have any prizes for the league, just the winner? If so what do you guys think it should be?

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2015, 02:37:11 am »

For all the participants ...

I am going to be changing the formatting of these forums. I am going to have a thread for results, in which you will also be allowed to post reports.
I'm going to have a thread for the decklists, which I will post all of the decklists up myself, so please send me the decklist either by facebook, PM on here etc. In this thread I only really want comments about the decks themselves, trying to keep it looking organized and neat.

Thirdly once we get streaming and commentators going I am going to make a third thread for video links.

Hopefully this will make things look more professional and easier to read for viewers

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
Space_Stormy
Basic User

Trinket Mage or bust!

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2015, 12:04:16 pm »

Is everyone able to decide on a single day so we can streamline this a bit? That, or record their matches so they can be commentated on.  Or at least a few people decide on a day so we can so we can do a test run with the stream. Also, does anyone know somebody who does overlays? While it isn't required, it does make everything look very polished and keeps Skype names secret which can be pretty important.

Tune in to coverage of The Mana Drain Vintage League! Sundays @ 9est/6pst: www.twitch.tv/hammybone
-Samuel Alaimo-
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2015, 01:15:13 pm »

Is everyone able to decide on a single day so we can streamline this a bit? That, or record their matches so they can be commentated on.  Or at least a few people decide on a day so we can so we can do a test run with the stream. Also, does anyone know somebody who does overlays? While it isn't required, it does make everything look very polished and keeps Skype names secret which can be pretty important.

I have recordings of all of my matches for you guys.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2015, 08:48:58 pm »

Just so all participants and viewers know, decklists will NOT be posted until I have received all ten. I'd like to post all 10 at once, seems more fair and more professional this way.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
Space_Stormy
Basic User

Trinket Mage or bust!

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2015, 08:46:59 pm »

I have recordings of all of my matches for you guys.

Ok I am good to be send the vids so we can do a couple commentaries. Also, Kael Williams I am unable to determine which one on Facebook is you so if you could PM me so we could get this off the ground that would be awesome!

Tune in to coverage of The Mana Drain Vintage League! Sundays @ 9est/6pst: www.twitch.tv/hammybone
-Samuel Alaimo-
wappla
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2015, 12:44:39 pm »

Having everything in now three different threads, all jumbled together with comments, match reports, deck lists, trimesters, schedules, has been bugging me a bit. I took some time yesterday to throw it up on a hopefully clearer website.

http://tmdvl.github.io/

I'll eventually copy over people's match reports, and if video ever arrives, links/embeds of that as well. I still need to add the complete schedule as well. It's not anyone's fault that  the forums don't work for organizing and running leagues. Message boards just aren't the right medium for it. I didn't spend that much time on the design of the site, but hopefully it shows up ok across browsers and whatnot. Let me know if not and I can tinker with it.
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2015, 12:47:03 pm »

Having everything in now three different threads, all jumbled together with comments, match reports, deck lists, trimesters, schedules, has been bugging me a bit. I took some time yesterday to throw it up on a hopefully clearer website.

http://tmdvl.github.io/

I'll eventually copy over people's match reports, and if video ever arrives, links/embeds of that as well. I still need to add the complete schedule as well. It's not anyone's fault that  the forums don't work for organizing and running leagues. Message boards just aren't the right medium for it. I didn't spend that much time on the design of the site, but hopefully it shows up ok across browsers and whatnot. Let me know if not and I can tinker with it.

This is a great Idea. Thank you for the help!

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2015, 03:04:49 pm »

Missing two more lists for Trimester Two, then I can post them for viewing pleasure.

Lists missing from:

Stormanimagus
MaximumCDawg

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2015, 01:49:34 pm »

Since we are halfway through Season One, I will announce that there will be a playoff tournament to decide who gets the tenth spot for Season Two. If you are interested in this please let me know via PM since I'm capping the playoff event at 8 players.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2015, 11:28:11 am »

We gave two spots left for the Playoff event to determine who gets the tenth spot for Season Two? Who's interested?

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2015, 11:52:44 am »

I could be interested, but I don't think I'm a good choice since I'm european and have a quite different time zone :/
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2015, 10:25:44 am »

Here is the list for the Single Elimination 8 man event for Season Two:

Season Two Playoff Tournament 

Season 1 Last Place Player 

Kael Williams 

Bill Barnes 

Keith Seals 

Alexandros Jaedon Chapin 

Michael Mahr 

Joseph Milia 

Perran Archbold 

The Date is still TBD but I hope we get some very exciting matches.

All participants, decklists are due on July 4th so I can have everything ready and pairings posted by the 5th, which is when I think we will have the event but don't hold me to it.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2015, 08:47:59 am »

We are heading into the last round of the swiss for Season One. Look closely at the Standings if these circumstances are met:

James S wins vs MaximumCDawg
Sean O wins vs Stormanimgus
Tom Dixon wins vs White Lotus and Wappla
And
Brian Kelly wins vs White Lotus

We will have a 6 way tie for 2-7th at 5-4... So this last round will be very exciting.

Also to note, if Wappla and MaximumCDawg both lose, they will be tied for last and have to play each other to determine who misses out on Season Two, or at least has to play in the Qualifier for Season Two.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: