TheManaDrain.com
April 09, 2020, 06:16:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Vintage Champs 2015 – Decklists, Metagame Report, Video, Report Roundup  (Read 10561 times)
JACO
Full Members
Basic User

Don't be a meatball.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 28, 2015, 04:29:58 am »

Very large post on EC now live, and constantly being updated:
http://www.eternalcentral.com/vintagechamps2015coverage/

Full metagame breakdown (including what everybody played, by final standings and name), as well as some pie charts to show Top 8/Top 32/Top 64 penetration of large archetypes, a video roundup, and more.

Please let us know what you'd like to see added, and if you have any ideas for more graphs you'd like to see. We'll begin fleshing out more decklists and adding them to that page as time allows over the next week or two (after some other reports are edited, and the Old School Tournament coverage goes up). As always, if you notice any errors please contact us so we can get them fixed. Thanks!

EDIT: We've just added a new post on EC with Saturday Prelim Top 8 Playoff and Decklists:
http://www.eternalcentral.com/vintage-champs-2015-saturday-prelim-decklists-and-top-8-playoff/

EDIT2: We've just added the EC Old School 93-94 tournament report with decklists and photos:
http://www.eternalcentral.com/oldschoolew2015/

« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 01:45:39 am by JACO » Logged

Want to write about Vintage, Legacy, Modern, Type 4, or Commander/EDH? Eternal Central is looking for writers! Contact me. Follow me on Twitter @JMJACO. Follow Eternal Central on Twitter @EternalCentral.
H
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 05:06:36 am »

Great report, thanks for posting it and for all your hard work!

A report you can add to the end would be: Greg Mitchell - 15th Place.

"The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
—Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order
diophan
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 07:51:44 am »

Thanks for all your work compiling data Jaco!

So the most important takeaway is that Brian Kelly oath had a 100% conversion rate from the field to winning the tournament?
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 07:55:03 am »

Thank you for the report, Jaco.

We hadn't actually named the deck yet, but I like Terra Nouveau.  I guess we'll see.

Great work!

"I’ll break my staff,
Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,
And deeper than did ever plummet sound
I’ll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero's Art Collection
Will
Veritas
Adepts
Basic User

Wmagzoo7
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 08:17:19 am »

This is awesome Jaco, thank you so much for doing this, I hope this is the first year of many. I'm really interested in seeing how close I was with my metagame prediction.

One very minor thing of note is that Game 2 of my match against Brian in Round 10 was on camera but isn't listed in the video coverage section.

The artist formerly known as Wmagzoo7

"If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable" - Seneca
H
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 08:22:58 am »

One minor nit-pick and I mean, very minor, is that BUG Control seems to include both Combo/Control decks (like I was playing) and BUG Fish decks as well.  In reality this is probably pretty irrelevant, but it might confuse some people who wonder where all the BUG Fish went to.

Mind you, only I know this because I played against Forrest Ashmore, who played BUG Fish (with Digs and I believe possibly no Confidants), and I was on BUG Combo/Control (no DRS, with Tinker and Vault/Key) and we both are listed as BUG Control (which I guess we almost are).

vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 08:55:46 am »

Nice!  Thank you for the work and I will be awaiting for the full list of decklists.  Is there is any chance I would be able to get them in excel/csv/odt/txt/some other word processing format?  Very Happy
CHA1N5
Full Members
Basic User

bluh

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 10:23:21 am »

Nice!  Thank you for the work and I will be awaiting for the full list of decklists.  Is there is any chance I would be able to get them in excel/csv/odt/txt/some other word processing format?  Very Happy

Workshop, Mox, Smokestack
Tangle Wire spells your Doom
Counter, Sac, Tap, Fade

@KevinCron on Twitter :: Host of the So Many Insane Plays podcast.
Holden1669
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 10:55:11 am »

Thanks for doing all this work. Amazing.
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 11:12:37 am »

I wrote a script to scrape the NYSE decks. Once the full decklists are posted, I am happy to apply the script to these decks and share the spreadsheet of decklists.

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
CHA1N5
Full Members
Basic User

bluh

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 11:14:19 am »

That would be awesome, Rich!

Workshop, Mox, Smokestack
Tangle Wire spells your Doom
Counter, Sac, Tap, Fade

@KevinCron on Twitter :: Host of the So Many Insane Plays podcast.
Holden1669
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 11:15:22 am »

I wrote a script to scrape the NYSE decks. Once the full decklists are posted, I am happy to apply the script to these decks and share the spreadsheet of decklists.

Yay computer science.
JACO
Full Members
Basic User

Don't be a meatball.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 11:53:42 am »

One minor nit-pick and I mean, very minor, is that BUG Control seems to include both Combo/Control decks (like I was playing) and BUG Fish decks as well.  In reality this is probably pretty irrelevant, but it might confuse some people who wonder where all the BUG Fish went to.

Mind you, only I know this because I played against Forrest Ashmore, who played BUG Fish (with Digs and I believe possibly no Confidants), and I was on BUG Combo/Control (no DRS, with Tinker and Vault/Key) and we both are listed as BUG Control (which I guess we almost are).
Combining the BUG lists was intentional. There are so many variations based on card inclusion of the player's choice that I felt it best to group them, and let people check out the decklists individually (once more are up). That, and there already being dozens of other sub-archetypes already listed, drove the choice to group some of the decks as such.

Rich, if you wouldn't mind emailing me with spreadsheet (or link to Google doc) once that is done, I can add it to the report as well. Everything we have is just in generic text, so would be nice to have more options for people.

If you folks see anything else that can be added please let me know via reply here, PM, or email to support@eternalcentral.com.

EDIT: We now have recreated all of the info from the Vintage Champs Prelim on Saturday, and will be doing a separate post later tonight on EC with Top 8 decklists and Top 8 playoff bracket.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:18:20 pm by JACO » Logged

Want to write about Vintage, Legacy, Modern, Type 4, or Commander/EDH? Eternal Central is looking for writers! Contact me. Follow me on Twitter @JMJACO. Follow Eternal Central on Twitter @EternalCentral.
H
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 06:44:29 pm »

One minor nit-pick and I mean, very minor, is that BUG Control seems to include both Combo/Control decks (like I was playing) and BUG Fish decks as well.  In reality this is probably pretty irrelevant, but it might confuse some people who wonder where all the BUG Fish went to.

Combining the BUG lists was intentional. There are so many variations based on card inclusion of the player's choice that I felt it best to group them, and let people check out the decklists individually (once more are up). That, and there already being dozens of other sub-archetypes already listed, drove the choice to group some of the decks as such.

OK, fair enough.  I really shouldn't have even said nit-pick, just really an observation.  Thanks again for your hard work on this.

V is for Vintage
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 08:56:46 pm »

Anyone have info on the prelim?

Team Blowout Train
JACO
Full Members
Basic User

Don't be a meatball.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 11:04:19 pm »

Anyone have info on the prelim?
We've just added a new post on EC with Saturday Prelim Top 8 Playoff and Decklists:
http://www.eternalcentral.com/vintage-champs-2015-saturday-prelim-decklists-and-top-8-playoff/

Enjoy!

intelli78
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 10:59:36 pm »

Nice work, thanks for the effort! I am keen to see the Terra Nouveau decklist.
Cripson
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 07:22:38 am »

Jaco fantastic job.  Top shelf!!!
JACO
Full Members
Basic User

Don't be a meatball.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 01:45:01 am »

Jaco fantastic job.  Top shelf!!!
Thank you very much. I'm glad some people are enjoying it.

Further updating this, we've just posted our EC Old School 93-94 tournament report, with decklists and tons of photos:
http://www.eternalcentral.com/oldschoolew2015/

More updates to come as we have time this week.

Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 07:03:48 pm »

My tournament report was posted earlier this week: 22nd Place at Vintage Champs: http://www.vintagemagic.com/blog/22nd-at-the-2015-vintage-championship/

TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 11:18:21 pm »

I hate that top 8.  1 shops, 1 dragon (at least this is an interesting one!), 1 storm, and FIVE U-control aggro decks (FoW/dig/removal + some critter kill).  I am glad dragon made a showing.  Shops was just expected as always, and seeing that 5/8ths of the top 8 was blue counterspells is just disheartening.  Storm was also a surprise to see....but it stinks that only 2 of the 8 were unexpected.  Shops vs U is the expected dominance.  I didn't see the play % anywhere, but I wouldn't be surprised if more than 75% of the field was shops/U-aggrocontrol.  Maybe a spattering of storm and oath (and probably U versions of oath within 8 cards of the U-aggro control decks).

Just my rant, but it sucks that competitive vintage has devolved into "play shops or U or go play modern instead."

*Just saw the breakdown of 462 decks on the other page.  51 dredge was a total surprise to me.  But the rest was not.  1/4 shops, <50% FoW+U stuff, 1/8 dredge, 1/8 everything else.  So Workshop, Bazaar, FoW, or don't bother playing.  I don't like those options.  Not even that I am for or against playing any of those types of decks (I always played workshops back in the day and enjoy that archetype), but I hate that those are mainly your options if you want to compete at all.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:27:42 pm by TheWhiteDragon » Logged

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
Tha Gunslinga
Full Members
Basic User

De-Errata Mystical Tutor!

ThaGunslingaMOTL
View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 11:33:41 pm »

it sucks that competitive vintage has devolved into "play shops or U"

This has been the case for what, the last 12 years?

Don't tolerate splittin'
TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 11:39:32 pm »

it sucks that competitive vintage has devolved into "play shops or U"

This has been the case for what, the last 12 years?

YES!  But that doesn't make it right.  I just wish every color had an equal chance and a variety of decks within a color that didn't overlap by 75% of the cards was viable.  Just saying - empty wishes, i know.  But I lament the situation and think it may contribute to why other formats grow while Vintage withers. Prices and all are part of the issue for sure, but the "blue, shops, or don't bother" options can't help much.

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 12:02:06 am »

*Just saw the breakdown of 462 decks on the other page.  51 dredge was a total surprise to me.  But the rest was not.  1/4 shops, <50% FoW+U stuff, 1/8 dredge, 1/8 everything else.  So Workshop, Bazaar, FoW, or don't bother playing.  I don't like those options.  Not even that I am for or against playing any of those types of decks (I always played workshops back in the day and enjoy that archetype), but I hate that those are mainly your options if you want to compete at all.

It sounds like thou doth protest too much.

The metagame was incredibly diverse.  The quantity of decks with Force of Wills masks incredibly strategic diversity.  Almost every strategic archetype was represented in the Vintage Champs top 8: hard control, aggro control, combo control, prison, dredge.  What an amazing event.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:55:57 am by Smmenen » Logged

fendog
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 06:47:41 am »

Jaco, in addition to Steven Menendian's report link five posts above, please add to your Report Roundup:

Brian Kelly: http://www.blackmagicgaming.com/champs-report/

Matt Mercer: http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=47992.0

and thanks for your hard work reporting the results of Eternal Weekend.
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 08:08:30 am »

Finally BK report. Can't wait to read it!
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2015, 06:18:04 pm »

My tournament report was posted earlier this week: 22nd Place at Vintage Champs: http://www.vintagemagic.com/blog/22nd-at-the-2015-vintage-championship/

My report was free but apparently now requires a membership. I hope folks who were interested got a chance to read it. Sorry if you didn't. I wasnt aware my spnosor would make a previously free article premium.

Paul Mastrianos 4th place report is also posted there as well as Brians.

bactgudz
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2015, 08:48:36 pm »

My report was free but apparently now requires a membership. I hope folks who were interested got a chance to read it. Sorry if you didn't. I wasnt aware my spnosor would make a previously free article premium.

Paul Mastrianos 4th place report is also posted there as well as Brians.

On this note...I got a membership on that site but every time I click on an article, it asks me to login [even though I'm already logged on], it's an endless cycle between the login/my account page and the article listings.  I submitted a contact form through the site last Wednesday but have not heard back.

Any idea what the deal is?
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2015, 10:45:20 pm »

I contacted them, and all the articles are now free for now. Paul's report: http://www.vintagemagic.com/blog/paul-mastriano-eternal-weekend-4thplace-vintage-championship/

brianpk80
2015 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2015, 01:57:11 am »

Thanks, Stephen.  I read your report when it first came out but wasn't able to access Paul's.  Congratulations on a good team showing!  

"It seems like a normal Monk deck with all the normal Monk cards.  And then the clouds divide...  something is revealed in the skies."
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: