TheManaDrain.com
April 25, 2019, 05:11:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • MTGO Vintage Event: October 24, 2015
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: MTGO Vintage Power Nine (?) Tournament - 10/24  (Read 4322 times)
YamiJoey
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2015, 03:52:05 am »

Unpopular opinion time, maybe?

This isn't paper Magic. I want people playing Vintage and general Magic as much as possible, and overpricing staples of the format online is pointless, and just stops events firing. What needs to happen, is MTGO needs to have some kind of cash or tickets prize system.
dangerlinto
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2015, 07:10:28 am »

Obviously, this is the way in which old-bordered, old art P9 should come to us.  Value of prizes would be through the roof.

Only problem is one of the things we'll never hear about publicly is just what is up with those old art contracts, so even if we ask we will probably never get a straight answer on why not.
Islandswamp
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

MTGGoldfish Writer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2015, 12:54:46 pm »

Obviously, this is the way in which old-bordered, old art P9 should come to us.  Value of prizes would be through the roof.

Only problem is one of the things we'll never hear about publicly is just what is up with those old art contracts, so even if we ask we will probably never get a straight answer on why not.

If you look in the vintage issues forum for "mtgo alpha art fix" you'll see the link I posted that shows you how to get all the original art for your power nine. That link is also the pinmed tweet on my twitter page.

The frame fix no longer works, and it swaps the art for both players cards, but it is much nicer to look at.

It fixes all vma cards, so my vma Forces look great and I don't have to buy masters edition ones anymore.

Check out my articles @ www.mtggoldfish.com  www.puremtgo.com Follow me on Twitter: @josephfiorinijr - Watch me make EPIC PUNTS on Twitch.TV @ http://www.twitch.tv/josephfiorini06

Just like a car crash,
Just like a knife.
My favorite weapon
is the look in your eyes.
You've run out of lies...
tito del monte
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2015, 12:58:05 pm »

Have slightly mixed feelings about the new format, but shall endeavour to play in this. It's a really great initiative from WOTC and I think definitely deserves our support.

As mentioned above, some small pariticipation prize would be nice - a Vintage avatar is a great idea - but I'm sure, if we can get players to take part, we'll have more leverage going forward to improve these events.

See you Saturday!

thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2015, 02:39:55 pm »

For anyone who hasn't been on MODO in a while, based on what I've seen in the last week or so, your deck building should start with the question "What beats Thirst?" - it's easily half of the matches I play right now

Instead of tearing things down we should calmly explain our opinions.
dangerlinto
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2015, 02:50:00 pm »

If you look in the vintage issues forum for "mtgo alpha art fix" you'll see the link I posted that shows you how to get all the original art for your power nine. That link is also the pinmed tweet on my twitter page.

The frame fix no longer works, and it swaps the art for both players cards, but it is much nicer to look at.

It fixes all vma cards, so my vma Forces look great and I don't have to buy masters edition ones anymore.

I'm well aware of how to do this.  However, *bling* doesn't get much value from how good it looks on your screen, but how good it looks on everyone else's.

Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2015, 05:10:21 pm »

In our letter, Rich and I argued that Vintage players care about a great opportunity to compete, and we argued that a monthly premier event would fire.

That's what they've given us.  I don't really see anything to complain about it.  This is all upside. 

Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2015, 02:09:23 am »

Reminder this event kicks off today. Randy Buehler already said he's playing. I won't be able to play because of long planned travel, but we need to make a statement and get this thing to fire!

matori
Basic User

McLovin

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2015, 06:23:41 am »

I'll join even I am not sure that I can play all along since my kid is geting first tooth Smile
Loukayza
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2015, 01:14:33 pm »

Not bad, 100 players for the 1st one! Good luck to all TMDers that are playing!
Ahab1248
Basic User

Ahab1248
View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2015, 02:59:16 pm »

Thank you Steve and Rich, hopefully this will help to revitalize Vintage online. Its at least driving serious interest for one day.

Yawgmoth's Will....
I think I win
matori
Basic User

McLovin

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2015, 07:13:36 pm »

It was a blast!
Grats to Top8
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2015, 07:32:05 pm »

I got 9th but should have gotten 8th.  Great tournament. Congratulations to the winners.

Join the Vintage League!
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2015, 07:45:01 pm »

It was a blast!
Grats to Top8

That's a bonkers top 8. Sheesh. Wish I could have played today, but can't wait for the next.

Commandant
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2015, 07:52:27 pm »

I got 9th but should have gotten 8th.  Great tournament. Congratulations to the winners.

You mean you got the beat down by Sammich.

Quote from: David Ochoa
Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2015, 02:57:52 pm »

Results: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/vintage-premier-2015-10-25
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 03:04:27 pm by Smmenen » Logged

gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2015, 12:24:35 am »

These decks are all sweet and innovative.  I hope this keeps firing.  I sold my MODO collection a long time ago, but keep these up and I'll be buying back in.
Space_Stormy
Basic User

Trinket Mage or bust!

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2015, 12:31:29 am »

That 5th place deck! Very interesting.

Tune in to coverage of The Mana Drain Vintage League! Sundays @ 9est/6pst: www.twitch.tv/hammybone
-Samuel Alaimo-
Holden1669
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2015, 12:35:22 am »

This top 16 is really interesting. Lots of variety and crazy lists. I'm loving the innovation so far since the banned list update.
Ahab1248
Basic User

Ahab1248
View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2015, 08:26:31 pm »

Overall, I am very glad Wizards decided to hold this. My only gripe (other than scrubbing out hard, but that is on me) is it seems the payout was extremely light for the turnout. I do appreciate the prize payout was quite generous for the minimum number of players required to fire. However, if over time these events regularly attract enough players that we have a 7+ round event, we should request that WoTC doubles the value of the prize support and perhaps makes the prizes a little less top heavy as making top 8 of a 100 person event should more than just double somones entrance fee. I think this event was awesome and hope that WoTC used the event to observe interest in the format and will scale the prizes accordingly. Also, having even more attractive prizes may inspire greater levels of player activity in the format which seems to be the goal of the event.

Thanks again to Rich and Steve for their initial letter. Thanks to WotC for scheduling the event and to the community for supporting it. See everyone next month.

Yawgmoth's Will....
I think I win
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: