TheManaDrain.com
December 07, 2019, 08:46:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Guy finds binder with Power9 on NY Comic Con...  (Read 4057 times)
matori
Basic User

McLovin

View Profile Email
« on: October 14, 2015, 01:11:01 am »

...and he returns it Smile
http://upvoted.com/2015/10/13/redditor-returns-60k-of-lost-magic-the-gathering-cards/?utm_content=buffera9c97&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
My hat's off to you!
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 01:39:07 am »

I misplaced my bag worth 10k at an event for 10 minutes and I was freaking out and feeling sick. I can't even image how that guy must have felt.
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 07:44:33 am »

Neutral Ground, 2002.  I'm playing in a PTQ with a foiled out mono-black deck.  Nantuko Shades, Braids, Cabal Minion, Cabal Coffers, etc.  I also happen to bring along my Keeper deck, looking for pickup Vintage games.

I walk away from my last match to hand in my slip.  I leave both decks on the table, completely oblivious to what I've done.

I see some friends, go and sit by them.  Two kids walk up to me.  "Hey, you play Type One, right?"  "Yeah."  "Here's your deck." 

The mono-black deck ends up stolen, the Keeper deck is returned.

I misplaced my bag worth 10k at an event for 10 minutes and I was freaking out and feeling sick. I can't even image how that guy must have felt.

He has some serious good karma coming his way.

"Iíll break my staff,
Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,
And deeper than did ever plummet sound
Iíll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero's Art Collection
TheMonadNomad
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 10:07:48 am »

Big thumbs up to that chap!
rpf5029
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 12:55:16 pm »

As someone infamous for leaving Vintage decks around, this makes me very happy.

Ryan Fisher

PSU MAGIC
"He knows the name of every Elf born in the last four centuries.  More importantly, they know his."  -- Elvish Archdruid
Twiedel
2012 Vintage World Champion
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 04:25:00 am »

The "pick any one card" rule is pretty cool, and we've been discussing this in out group every now and then. If I ever lost my binder and someone found it, this would be just what I did (especially if he didn't want some monetary finder's fee).
Great that the finder even went through some trouble to find the original owner - not everone would do this. Gives me a little hope, especially as I'm also the kind of guy that likes  to leave stuff lying around.
Montolio
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 04:15:38 pm »

This story motivates me to tell my own.
I had my entire collection stolen at a pre-release about 13 years ago.
Why i had all my cards with me is another story, but it was a devastating experience for me.
That day while mopping around an acquaintance of mine who owned a store locally gave me his trade binder to help lower the sting.
It was nowhere near what I lost, but what a good person he is to have done so.
Regardless, It was almost impossible to recoup what I lost, so I stopped playing magic in paper after that. 
I have never forgotten that gesture of kindness he showed me though.
It wasn't until recently when i started to buy into paper Vintage that I opened up that binder he gave me and there were all sorts of goodies in there that i didn't know i had.
PS of Karakas, Foreign U-sea, Badlands, Beta Sol Ring, Demonic tutor, amongst many others.
Those cards got me back on the path to help fund my journey to play paper Vintage!
There is still goodness in this corrupt world we live in.

I've sparred with Demon's from the Nine Hells I say. I shall barely break a sweat here today!
Twitter handle @TheALPHA7
TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 09:53:02 pm »

Luckily, it is quite the opposite...there is corruption in this good world we live in.  There are far more good, honest, compassionate people than there are assholes.  We just notice them more because they are an outlier.  Think about your typical day...you interact with lots of people you are just fine with and who act civilly and do nice things, and encounter maybe one or two jerks in a day.  That's a pretty good ratio.  If my win rate had that kind of ratio, I'd win 99 out of 100 tourneys.  Even the news, while full of bad stories, only highlights the bad.  If they were to pay as much attention to good deeds that go unrecognized, the news would be a 24/7 show.

But it is cool that you guys got stuff back.  I'd be willing to bet more people got handed back decks and such than people who got ripped off.  I once played in a tourney in Albany, won round one, went outside for 30 mins, came in for round 2, shuffled and had 59 cards and 15 in my sb.  Someone turned it in to the main desk and when I asked for the card, specifically by name, they gave it to me and verified it was in the same sleeves as the rest of my deck - it was a mox emerald.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 09:55:42 pm by TheWhiteDragon » Logged

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 10:39:32 pm »

Great stories. I had my own deck returned to me at Champs this year by Mark Tocco, Hiromichi Ito, and others. I had reached a point in round 9 where was mentally exhausted and tilted after a couple bad beats - luckily these awesome people turned it into the judges and I got it back in time to lose round 10 and watch Brian take down the painting.

People are generally good, especially in face to face interactions and to people they know - it's certain systems that reward greed, fear, corruption, exploitation, etc. The Vintage community that we have is truly special, though.

"Why are we making bad decks? I mean, honestly, what is our reason for doing this?"

"Is this a Vintage deck or a Cube deck?" "Is it sad that you have to ask?"

"Is that a draft deck?" "Why do people keep asking that?"

Random conversations...
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 05:49:14 am »

A bit of a different story happened to a friend of mine.

He had a party at his place and a tournament the next day. When leaving for the tournament, he noticed his tiny binder with beta P9 had been stolen, and nothing else. The thief knew exactly what he was going for. Worst thing is that it could only have been one of his friends present at the party.

He contacted all the people present, told them the situation and said that if the cards were not returned in 7 days, police would be involved. On the last day, he found the complete binder in his mailbox. Though it he did end up with his cards back, it must be damn hard to have lingering doubts about which friends did it and who to trust.
PeAcH
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 05:29:19 pm »

Back in 2010 I attended GP Madrid to play Legacy. It happened that it was one of the greatest GPs in History. Gathering 2,000 people. There were players everywhere, not enough chairs for everyone, quite a chaos.

I was playing my Goblin deck. With signed Taigas and Badlands and also signed Fetch lands. With my beloved goblins that had been playing with me all my life. Some signed, some foil...

Maybe it was round 4 or 5. After taking the seat, I check the bag and my deck is nowhere to be found.

I tell my opponent to wait and go to the judge station. After some checking it seems a nice soul had left my deck there for me to get it back.

I could not believe how lucky I was!

When I got back to the table, I nervously explained everything to the judge and my opponent. And we even got some extra minutes for the round.

I shuffle, hand the deck to my opponent with a smile. Letīs play!

He pile shuffles to count the deck was legal (which luckily it was).

I could not believe it.

How could I experience two opposites of the same spectrum (goodness vs. evilness) in such a short period of time?

I could perfectly imagine how anyone would be feeling for that at the same moment towards that person who was trying to win a game due to the absolute misfortune of another human being...

Unluckily for me, he won the match.

That is something I will never forget.

At least, I got my deck back thanks to a person to whom I will never have the chance to thank for what he did.

That is something I will never forget either.

Be good to your fellow play mates.

We are all on the same boat.

"Your deed cannot be undone. You, however, can be."

@Peachmtg
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 02:08:58 am »

He pile shuffles to count the deck was legal (which luckily it was).

I could not believe it.

How could I experience two opposites of the same spectrum (goodness vs. evilness) in such a short period of time?

So people pile shuffle all of their opponent's decks, every match. I don't necessarily see this as evil.
PeAcH
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 04:44:42 am »

He was counting if any card was missing (due to being stolen) so he could get me a game loss. He was explicitly counting and did it twice to double-check.

I had already pile shuffled (and shuffled) myself before handling it to him, so I knew everything was in order.

So people pile shuffle all of their opponent's decks, every match.

@wagner

In vintage, for my experience, we shuffle and not pile shuffle. I know this event was Legacy format though...much more "cutthroat" if you allow me to refer to it as such.

At least this is what is done in my Vintage community and I have seen it also in quite a lot of international events.

You can shuffle as many times as you want. But I have yet to see someone pile shuffling at LCV.

"Your deed cannot be undone. You, however, can be."

@Peachmtg
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 06:51:21 am »

You can shuffle as many times as you want. But I have yet to see someone pile shuffling at LCV.

And that's why I attend each LCV tournament that I can, but I'm not going to any Legacy tournament Smile In LCV people play to win, but more important, play to win the nice way.
thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 03:22:23 pm »

In vintage, for my experience, we shuffle and not pile shuffle. I know this event was Legacy format though...much more "cutthroat" if you allow me to refer to it as such.

In Vintage, we know that pile "shuffling" isn't shuffling which is why we don't do it IMO.

That being said, if my opponent pile counts* their deck, I watch every time to see if they have <60 and miss it.

* I believe that the first thing we as a community can do to get people to stop pile "shuffling" is to stop referring to it as "shuffling," which by definition** it isn't.

** to mix (playing cards) before playing a game so that no one knows what order they are in - m-w.com

Instead of tearing things down we should calmly explain our opinions.
Godder
Remington Steele
Administrator
Basic User

"Steele here"

walfootrot@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 03:46:33 am »

While pile "shuffling" is not shuffling in a strict sense, it does break clumps nicely prior to the real (riffle/dovetail) shuffling. Doing it once or twice at the start of the shuffling sequence to ensure the correct number of cards prior to shuffling is good plan, IMO.

Quote from: Remington Steele
That's what I like about you, Laura - you're always willing to put my neck on the line.
MTGFan
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 02:06:59 pm »

I see these stories of losing decks and misplacing decks and having cards stolen all the time. In all my years of playing Magic (both competitively and casually) I have never lost a single card or had even a single card become stolen.

I just don't understand how anyone can be so casual with expensive magic cards. When I attend a tournament, I only take *1* deck with me (the deck I am playing in the tournament), and then I keep it in my bag and only take it out at the start of every round. I will never bring a trade binder or collection to a tournament - are you there to trade or are you there to actually play?

How do people lose decks left and right? It seems like such a foreign problem to me - I suppose that most people just don't respect the value of their cards if they are so cavalier with their decks and their collections.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: