TheManaDrain.com
December 09, 2019, 09:03:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Interested in playing 93/94 on MTGO?
Yes - 14 (50%)
No - 14 (50%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 93/94 MTGO Tournament/League  (Read 6475 times)
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« on: January 17, 2016, 01:24:13 pm »

I've never played the format before, and was wondering how much interest there would be if we ran a month long league on MTGO.  If we have at least 8, I could put something together fairly easily.

Join the Vintage League!
portland
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 01:28:09 pm »

Tricky to rewind rules clock to 94 and allow chaos orb sadly.

Lucky beats good.
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 06:27:15 pm »

True...  How about '03/'04?

Join the Vintage League!
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 07:02:35 pm »

True...  How about '03/'04?

Pre modern?  Is this a format?
Hrishi
Basic User

hrishikesh29@gmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 10:14:14 pm »

It would be fun to play (93/94) as I've played it in paper before, but unfortunately MODO would make chaos orb unusable Sad

Lyna turned to the figure beside her. "They're gone. What now?"
"As ever," said Urza, "we wait."
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 11:29:45 pm »

then you don't play chaos orb, it's not that difficult
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 11:47:38 pm »

Is there a feature on MODO to turn damage on the stack on?  Both 93/94 and 03/04 won't technically work correctly.
GalacticHitchHiker
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 11:58:07 pm »

I very much doubt MTGO is able to switch rule sets on the fly.

I would be interested in the format if it were possible to play it properly online. Since Chaos Orb doesn't even exist online, much less would be possible to use, I don't see a way to play without just pretending the card doesn't exist.
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 01:12:04 am »

All of this is possible on Cockatrice, you would just need a rule for chaos orb (like it destroys 1 permanent or something).  I'd be interested in this case for either 93/94 and/or 03/04.
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 01:51:20 am »

While i am a strong advicate of old school formats, playing them online misses a huge part of the experience.

rikter
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 11:33:02 am »

Is the full oldschool catalog even available online? Chaos Orb aside I feel like there would be a bunch of stuff missing, maybe not all of it important, but still. Also worth considering, of the cards that are, which of them are printed with the proper art?
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 12:16:24 pm »

Yeah, most of the old school art is available

Join the Vintage League!
thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 03:35:22 pm »

Even if they're not, you can always do an art swap!

Instead of tearing things down we should calmly explain our opinions.
rikter
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 04:25:02 pm »

Ah ok, was not aware of this...I basically just use Magic Online for the vintage cube. I was thinking about getting more into it to play more vintage, but theres been a pretty good uptick in events in the Northeast so in the end I decided to just stick with paper. Vintage dredge costs almost $500 right now, and for that price I could just buy all the paper cards for Dredge and proxy 4 Bazaars and call it a day. The other decks are like twice that price, and I can already play them in paper.

I'd love to see more oldschool events, I think its a great format both for those of us who grew up playing those types of games, and for new players as well. Part of my issue with doing them online though is that you miss out on seeing some truly beautiful decks.
TheKidsArentAlright
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 06:17:56 pm »

The art swap only works for cards where the original art is already available in some for online.  It doesn't work for Mana Short, Hurkyl's Recall, and I think a few other cards.

Is the full oldschool catalog even available online? Chaos Orb aside I feel like there would be a bunch of stuff missing, maybe not all of it important, but still. Also worth considering, of the cards that are, which of them are printed with the proper art?
It's not.  Chaos Orb is the most obvious example, but there's a few other oddball cards like King Suleiman that are also unavailable and see play in the format.

MODO: TheKidsArentAlright
Current decks: Landstill, Slaver, MUD
Islandswamp
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

MTGGoldfish Writer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 06:23:16 pm »

The art swap only works for cards where the original art is already available in some for online.  It doesn't work for Mana Short, Hurkyl's Recall, and I think a few other cards.

It's not.  Chaos Orb is the most obvious example, but there's a few other oddball cards like King Suleiman that are also unavailable and see play in the format.

The art swap brings in the original art for every card in VMA, unfortunately WotC sent a cease and desist order to Marcel or brainstorm brewery asking him to take it down. Unless you find the files somewhere else you're out of luck. But my power has the original art, albeit in new ugly frames.

You can't do anything about the cards that didn't get printed online, but the best approximation would be to have a format online that only allowed cards from the three masters editions and vintage masters. It isn't the same, but you could still have some cool.decks.

Check out my articles @ www.mtggoldfish.com  www.puremtgo.com Follow me on Twitter: @josephfiorinijr - Watch me make EPIC PUNTS on Twitch.TV @ http://www.twitch.tv/josephfiorini06

Just like a car crash,
Just like a knife.
My favorite weapon
is the look in your eyes.
You've run out of lies...
thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 05:16:41 pm »

All the art swap program does is find the new version of the art and replace it with the old version. If there isn't an old version and you've got time on your hands, you can still go find the new version, then download and crop the old version and overwrite the new version.

Instead of tearing things down we should calmly explain our opinions.
Twiedel
2012 Vintage World Champion
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 07:15:45 am »

I have to agree with Steve here ... when playing 93/94 online you'll just miss a lot of what the format is for. It is about having 20 year old cardboard in your hands, feeling really really oldschool .... you probably won't get these out of playing on MoDo or Cockatrice. You might find it dull or less appealing Wink
rikter
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 09:23:57 am »

I have to agree with Steve here ... when playing 93/94 online you'll just miss a lot of what the format is for. It is about having 20 year old cardboard in your hands, feeling really really oldschool .... you probably won't get these out of playing on MoDo or Cockatrice. You might find it dull or less appealing Wink

Very true. I love looking at a grip full of 20+ year old cards and wondering just how many opponents this Erhnam has killed, how many lands the 'Geddon has blown up, how many creatures have fallen to this Plow...I love that oldschool exists because these cards are gorgeous, and I think its great to have a format where they can be on full display and back doing what they were printed to do!

Obviously none of these aspects are available in an online format.
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 09:41:42 am »

It depends on what you are getting out of the format.  Some people don't necessarily care about holding old cardboard.  Some people just enjoy a simpler game of magic where the creatures aren't over powered.
jcb193
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 09:58:37 am »

It depends on what you are getting out of the format.  Some people don't necessarily care about holding old cardboard.  Some people just enjoy a simpler game of magic where the creatures aren't over powered.

I love this format.  It's very swingy, but this can be a fun thing too (last minute comebacks).  I think for me the thing I enjoy most is that there isn't a lot of spell durdling (fetches, cantrips, tutoring), the absence of Force of Will, and if you are going to die, you see it coming, but you have a chance to break it.  It's not a perman-lock with Stax, or a 10 token army.  It's a Serra Angel coming across for four a turn.  Do you have the STP?  The Wrath?  The control magic?

And shockingly enough, it's not a format that can be figured out....and you can even throw in a pet card or two and it won't totally wreck your deck.   

I wish it were more common.  Great format.  Simple, relaxing, and satisfying with a variety of decks and the games can be super quick, or an epic battle.  Of course the occasional Black Vise with triple Strip Mine happens, but more often than not a busted opening can be counter-acted.   
Hrishi
Basic User

hrishikesh29@gmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 11:52:44 am »

I would love to play it online. I do try to play it on paper too but I wouldn't say no to more games of this format!

GrimLavamancerBeats
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 12:27:06 pm »

I would be stoked to see this on MTGO. I love this format as it lets me jam one of my favorite cards "Juzam Djinn". I'm actually currently trying to make a deck in paper just for the fun of it but it's fairly extensive tracking down all those beautiful cards.
rikter
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 02:16:35 pm »

I would be stoked to see this on MTGO. I love this format as it lets me jam one of my favorite cards "Juzam Djinn". I'm actually currently trying to make a deck in paper just for the fun of it but it's fairly extensive tracking down all those beautiful cards.

Its getting harder to find the staples, at reasonable prices anyways. Lots of stuff has doubled, tripled, sometimes more, since the oldschool tourney at champs. The stuff that hasn't jumped has become harder to find in general. I'm personally racing to get as much stuff as I can, as fast as I can.
Solemn Storm
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 06:30:40 pm »

I'm interested in playing in paper old school at some point, but with no local community and no experience of the gameplay it's a pretty hefty cost for playing a couple times a year, especially when there are such disparate standards for allowed cards.

While I'm sure old school purists vehemently disagree, this seems like a decent way to get my toes wet and see if I like it, so I went ahead and put together a couple decks on MTGO since most cards are pretty reasonably priced. My MTGO username is "benbw" if anyone would like to play some games.
diophan
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 10:06:47 pm »

I am interested in this. I picked up cards for a few decks. As far as I can tell Chaos Orb and (functional) Mirror Universe are the big omissions from modo. Anything else?
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 03:38:04 am »

I love he idea of playing 2002 magic on mtgo.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 06:46:46 pm by Smmenen » Logged

Hrishi
Basic User

hrishikesh29@gmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 05:10:21 am »

I am interested in this. I picked up cards for a few decks. As far as I can tell Chaos Orb and (functional) Mirror Universe are the big omissions from modo. Anything else?

I have mostly finished constructing my Old School deck from the 2015 EW event. We could play a few games when we're on at the same time. I am just missing a few cards but shouldn't take long!

GrimLavamancerBeats
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 10:16:29 am »

Its getting harder to find the staples, at reasonable prices anyways. Lots of stuff has doubled, tripled, sometimes more, since the oldschool tourney at champs. The stuff that hasn't jumped has become harder to find in general. I'm personally racing to get as much stuff as I can, as fast as I can.

It really is. There's been a lot of times where I've had to just skip out on deals entirely because the paper prices are getting so expensive. As it turns out paying rent and bills is a smart thing to do!  Very Happy
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 03:57:26 pm »

I originally voted no, but I would now vote 'yes'. 

Join the Vintage League!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: