TheManaDrain.com
February 15, 2019, 10:18:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Colorado Tournament to Test Vale - Interest?  (Read 692 times)
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2016, 12:50:43 pm »

image hosting 10mb limit

For awhile now, I have been interested in getting some data to determine whether allowing the Weatherlight-Alliances area lands to function as the text reads (rather than as the Oracle text requires) would really be a big deal for Vintage, or not. 

For those few of you not up to speed, the issue is that, as written, these lands let you tap them to use an ability while the ETB ability is still on the stack.  So, you can dump a Lotus Vale onto the battlefield, tap it for 3 mana of any color, and then choose to sacrifice it rather than sacrificing two other lands.  The rest work similarly.  The Oracle text makes the ETB trigger a replacement effect instead, so you cannot do this.  I AM EXPRESSLY NOT TRYING TO GENERATE ANOTHER DISCUSSION ABOUT THE HISTORY OR WISDOM OF THIS ERRATA - THAT ISSUE HAS BEEN DEBATED TO DEATH AND YOU CAN FIND MANY FINE THREADS ABOUT IT HERE AND ELSEWHERE IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.

I'd like to know if anyone would be interested in a playtest-friendly Vintage tournament in Colorado where each of these lands would be restored to their original text.  Vale and Ruins would probably also be restricted.  I'm pretty sure I could get a venue for this kind of event, and I'm considering putting up some minor prize support out of my own pocket.  My goal is to generate some actual data about how these cards would really play in Vintage.  I suspect that, while they bust Legacy wide open, they merely compete with other similar powerhouse cards like Black Lotus and Mishra's Workshop in Vintage.

So, anyone close by enough that you would be tempted to come to such an event?

thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 12:36:47 pm »

Vale and Ruins would probably also be restricted.

If your goal is to see how busted something is, especially in a smaller tournament, I think you should leave it unrestricted. Otherwise, it's quite possible it won't have any impact and, in a small enough event, it may never even see the battlefield!

It's a really interesting idea. I'd be curious to see all the decklists. I'd imagine you'd have some number of people skipping out on Vale and opting for hate decks. I'd bet that a non-Vale deck ends up doing quite well or even winning, since a non-Vale deck will have the advantage of years of tuning.

Passed this on to a friend in your area. Hope it works out!

Instead of tearing things down we should calmly explain our opinions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: