TheManaDrain.com
February 15, 2019, 11:01:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOI] Nahiri, the Harbinger  (Read 2555 times)
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« on: March 14, 2016, 10:49:46 am »

Nahiri, the Harbinger  {2} {R} {W}
Planeswalker - Nahiri
+2: You may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.
-2: Exile target enchantment, tapped artifact, or tapped creature.
-8: Search your library for an artifact or creature card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. It gains haste. Return it to your hand at the beginning of the next end step.

First ability is poor, others do better (fayden or daretti). However it gains 2 loyalty.

Second ability is really nice. Not perfect because it need creatures and artifacts to be activated previously, but is really versatile.

Thirs ability is a tinker with haste. BSC into play (not sacrificing anything) and attack. Game over. Otherwise go for vault, win a turn and next turn replay it and go for infinite turns. Go for griselbrand, attack, draw 14. Well, there are a good bunch of options, but you have to wait at least 3 turns (first turn 4=>6, 2nd 6=>8 and 3rd activate)

Is Nahiri playable? I think so. More than Narset or Ral Zarek? I don't think so. Do Narset or Ral see play? Nope. But maybe Nahiri can find a place in a URW control build (btw I'm playing a URW build with auriok and vault, but no robot. nahiri can draw and discar to fetch combo pieces, can remove stony silence/spheres, and the ultimate can fetch auriok and win before end of turn)
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 10:55:24 am »

I agree with your evaluation.  Fine card is fine, but probably not in Vintage.

However, I note that Blightsteel Collossus is legal in Modern.  Shape Anew was already bubbling below the surface as a viable deck given the Thopter-birthing cards from Origins, and was already going to get better due to the Clue tokens in Shadows.  That deck, which is already Red-White-Blue, gets a great 4-drop that can tinker blightsteel all by itself if you protect it with tokens long enough.  It does compete with the Nalaar parents and Thopter Spy Network at the four slot, but it might be better than both anyway.

I predict this makes waves in Modern for exactly this reason.
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 11:38:37 am »

I like how you don't have to discard the card to the +2 ability. 

Unfortunately, this card is not Vintage playable due to the colors. 
Ten-Ten
Basic User

Shalom Aleichem

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 12:56:53 pm »

The colors aren't really the issue. Its the fact that each effect is so situational that makes this not so viable. At least in vintage.

Colossians 2:2,3
 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, both of the Father, and of Christ; In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
nedleeds
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 01:40:03 pm »

The tapped clause is an unneeded kick in the nuts.
MirariKnight
Full Members
Basic User

Lotus, YawgWill, Lotus, Go

xHollyw0odx
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 02:14:27 pm »

Came here to say exactly this. Same card without the tapped clause and we're talking a potential playable. Oh well.
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 02:50:11 pm »

Quote from: MirariKnight on Today at 02:14:27 pm
Quote from: nedleeds on Today at 01:40:03 pm

Came here to say exactly this. Same card without the tapped clause and we're talking a potential playable. Oh well.

It's worse, sure, but it still works fine if you're playing her in a format where the creatures you need to kill are actually attacking you  (i.e. Modern).  She's gonna be a 4cc removal spell that then slowly ramps to win the game, and that's not too shabby.

EDIT: Also, not that it's super relevant for us, but I suspect this card means we're getting a new Emrakul in Eldritch Moon.  Here's my thought process:

1. She's named a "Harbinger."  That is, someone who heralds the arrival of someone else.  Who is the Galactus to her Silver Surfer?  There's some more powerful entity she's working for.  Who in Nahiri's past other than Emrakul fits the bill in this relationship?

2. She has a grudge against Sorin, but she's working for someone else who also has a reason to strike out at Sorin (See Harbinger).  Who other than Emrakul has such a reason that we know of?

3.  Something happened to make her royally angry with Sorin, something he's not proud of.  Betchya a lot of people she liked got axed and Sorin's to blame.  Emrakul's power set is corruption and intensifying feelings of loneliness and loss.  Seems like the perfect fit for an entity that could convince / corrupt Nahiri using her anger or loss resulting from Sorin's bad act.

4. Next set is Eldritch Moon, and with apologies to Marit Lage, ain't no one more Cthulu in all of Magic than Emrakul.  

5. Avacyn wasn't just locked in a prison or stabbed with an artifact like we see Nahiri doing to others.  She was corrupted and distorted - exactly the kind of power weilded by Emrakul, not Nahiri.

6. Both Nahiri and Emrakul were notably missing from the events of Battle for Zendikar, even though both had strong reasons otherwise to be involved.

7. The corruption being investigated on Innistrad artistically reminds you of Emrakul's corruption (tangles of worm-like tentacles).  

8. Our team of Eldrazi-fighting superfriends are investigating Innistrad and they still need a Black member of their super team.  Either Liliana or Sorin might plausibly fit that bill, if they encounter a multi-verse level threat important enough to set aside their individuality and do so.  The only threats that large we know of are Eldrazi and the Phyrexians, but the latter are locked in a single plane.  None of the other big bads like Nicol Bolas ever make themselves so obviously threatening as to invite a team-up like this.

9. Nahiri's ability to tinker something is not limited to artifacts, like you would expect; she can get creatures, too, like, say, Eldrazi.

All in all, I bet we're seeing a neutered Emrakul in Eldritch Moon.  If it's at least as decent as Ulamog was, that will warrant some discussion.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 03:58:36 pm by MaximumCDawg » Logged
TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 10:19:39 pm »

Emrakul in the new set?  Harbinger can fetch him and give haste?  How about...

15CCCCC

Emrakul, Universe Reaper
Legendary Creature - Eldrazi

You may sacrifice 5 eldrazi instead of paying Emrakul's casting cost.
When Emrakul Enters the battlefield from anywhere, destroy all permanents your opponents control.
If Emrakul would go to the graveyard from anywhere, put him into your hand and all opponents discard their hands.

Flying, Trample, Protection from everything.

20/20

That would be awesome! Smile

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
Protoaddict
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 10:55:59 pm »

I hope it is a powered down Emrakul if anything, something that is more likely to be hard cast. I'm actually really tired of new, bigger, better creatures that all basically say win the game on that being printed. Every single time they do we get to the point where oath, sneak attack, and show and tell start looking like problems in the formats they are legal. Remember when people were oathing out Rune Scared demons?

I mean how much better can a creature be that emrakul 1 or Grislebrand at this point considering your paying the same amount for each of them which is either 1G or 2U.

That aside I like Nahiri in standard and that is about it, She should have had the "Can start as your commander" clause on her I think, because W/R in modern is specially not playing long games where this would matter, and she is not blue so she really is not relevant in legacy or vintage.

This is my podcast:

Http://www.fantasticneighborhood.com
Comedy gaming podcast. Listening to it makes you cool.
portland
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 06:41:14 am »

Was going to be more enthusiastic until I saw the "tapped" element to second ability. Without the tapped clause, would have been worth consideration even with the awkward colours. May be playable elsewhere, but not current vintage environment.

Lucky beats good.
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 08:00:00 am »

Building around her ultimate seems awkward.  You need to pass twice with her in play and not have her get attacked.  Her other 2 abilities are fine, although not great.  If she was blue I could see a place in Vintage.  You might see a random top 8, but I doubt anything lasting with it as is.
Meddling Mike
Master of Divination
Administrator
Basic User

Not Chris Pikula

micker01 Micker1985 micker1985
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 01:10:16 pm »

This has to be unplayable in Vintage right? The plus ability is pretty meh. What are you really looking to hit with the minus ability? Oath of Druids maybe? I'd say Lodestone Golem, but I think if you can resolve a  {2} {R} {W} non-creature, non-artifact spell against Shops you're probably winning anyways. You can get a Monastery Mentor or a Young Pyromancer, but at that point in the game chances are they'll have made some prowess monks or elementals that would make this guy little more than a very awkward removal spell. Maybe kill a mox or something? The ultimate ability is cute with BSC, but even that falls flat against a 2 toughness blocker as the bot dashes back to your hand. Even with as powerful as the effect is, 4 mana and wait 3 turns is a lot of work to make that happen.

Meddling Mike posts so loudly that nobody can get a post in edgewise.

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 01:19:28 pm »

Well, the good think about the second ability is that it can hit oath, golem and mentor... all of them. Few cards can hit them all, and probably none repetidely.

Ultimate is a tinker, but can fetch creatures too.

Again, I don't think it will be played, but try to look it as a new card, no comparing it with existant cards.
fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 12:25:21 am »

All in all, I bet we're seeing a neutered Emrakul in Eldritch Moon.  If it's at least as decent as Ulamog was, that will warrant some discussion.

I agree. Actually, Emrakul appearing on Eldritch Moon is quite Lovecraftian: characters investigating super natural phenomena while getting mad and finding cosmic horrors (Emrakul) is pretty flavorful. She should be named "Emrakul, Great Old One" for extra flavor.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 12:28:52 am by fsecco » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: