TheManaDrain.com
December 13, 2019, 07:59:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOI] Westvale Abbey/Ormedhahl, Profane Price  (Read 2674 times)
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2016, 10:38:50 am »

Oracle Text

T: Add C to your mana pool.

5, T, Pay 1 life: Put a 1/1 white and black Human Cleric creature token onto the battlefield.

5, T, Sacrifice five creatures: Transform Westvale Abbey, then untap it.

Oracle Text

Flying, lifelink, indestructible, haste.

I really like this card as it has 3 abilities.  Taps for colorless, makes creature tokens (albeit at a heavy cost), and finally the large upside for the card is creating this incredibly huge, hasty monster with lifelink.

I can see this card being played as a 1 of in MUD lists with hangarback walker/arcbound ravager.  
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 10:49:14 am by gkraigher » Logged
p3temangus
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 10:42:46 am »

Do you get to sacrifice hagerback and then sacrifice the tokens? I don't think it works like that, but even if it did, if Shops has 5 creatures on the board have they not already won the game? I mean if your opponent has a moat or an army of Monks *maybe* not but still...

cycle  -> slide eternal witness-> rift your face->return cycle land with witness -> lather rinse repeat
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 10:47:58 am »

no, you would have to sac hangarback first, then sac the tokens.  
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 10:57:25 am by gkraigher » Logged
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 11:00:38 am »

Even with new rules of transform, the cost is 0 so it gets hit by repeal, among most other bouncers. For mud I only like it against oath, where you can have extra spirits, and this creature owns griselbrand.
Against mud it can be metamorphed/duplicanted, and you are losing 5 creatures in the process (and good luck playing {5} + tapping the land against mana denial strategies and without MWS support)
Against quick aggro it probably arrives late.
Against control you should be fine with 5 creatures, you don't need this. And if you have 5 free mana, to create tokens, play something else.

5 mana to create a token is too much, and having to sacrifice 5 creatures is also a whole world. This is like a semi dark depths (not really comparable, but has similarities), which sees little play despite being probably better.
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 01:08:32 pm »

5 mana is way too much for these abilities.
p3temangus
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 02:03:25 pm »

5 mana is way too much for these abilities.

Especially in shops, where generic mana costs you either 2 life, a waste effect or a factory activation.

cycle  -> slide eternal witness-> rift your face->return cycle land with witness -> lather rinse repeat
cutlex
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 02:30:50 pm »

How does this card work with Duplicant? Which side is face-up in exile?
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 03:10:05 pm »

How does this card work with Duplicant? Which side is face-up in exile?

As long as a card exiled with Duplicant is a creature card, Duplicant has the power, toughness, and creature types of the last creature card exiled with Duplicant. It's still a Shapeshifter.

In every zone, this card is a land card.  The only time it is a creature is if it is in play, transformed.  So Duplicant would be a 2/4
TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 06:36:59 pm »

nvm

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 11:27:08 pm »

As with Dark Depths / Thespian Stage, this gets shut down on the battlefield by Pithing Needle and on the stack with Wasteland. However, unlike Depths/Stage...

5, T, Sacrifice five creatures: Transform Westvale Abbey, then untap it.

You're going to be real blown out when your opponent uses Wasteland after you've paid that cost.

Instead of tearing things down we should calmly explain our opinions.
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 06:52:07 am »

I've thought more about this card.  I still love it.  There is a very simple reason why.  It does something early in the game by tapping for mana.  It does something in the middle of the game by making tokens.  It has a HUGE payout late in the game.  

Let's take a "bad" matchup for MUD in Oath of Druids.  Sacrificing tokens and making a dude that makes Dromoka look like a small fly seems good to me.   
TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 08:45:21 am »

Except you need to sac 5 tokens, whereas Oath will kill you when you have just 1 in play.

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: