TheManaDrain.com
November 20, 2019, 10:29:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOI] Behold The Beyond  (Read 1397 times)
Protoaddict
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« on: March 18, 2016, 07:16:08 am »

I have no delusions that this is vintage playable because of the CMC on the card, but the effect certainly is when you compare it to similar cards like doomsday.

My question is not will this see play, but rather what would it have to have been costed to be viable? DD sees play at 3 black and half your life, but I think this would be FAR to strong at 3 CMC. 4 perhaps?

Unless I am way off and this slides into some deck using omniscience?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 01:20:42 pm by Protoaddict » Logged

This is my podcast:

Http://www.fantasticneighborhood.com
Comedy gaming podcast. Listening to it makes you cool.
Khahan
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 08:36:29 am »

A tutor for 3 cards that you don't have to reveal?   I couldn't imagine that being printed for less than 4BB.

But consider lotus, tolarian academy, 4x dark ritual, 4x cabal ritual.  I could see people trying it in DPS and wouldn't be surprised if it works as a 1 of.  So often I see dps fill up 8 mana, then dark petition.  You can do that, get this, get mana back and tutor up 3 spells.  It is awfully expensive but tutoring for 3 cards - I wouldn't write it off so easily.

Team - One Man Show.   yes, the name is ironic.
TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 08:43:52 am »

tutor for lotus, yawgwill, some other goody is basically gg.  The problem with this is that for 1 less mana, you get Yawg bargain and just draw your deck (or deep enough to cantrip/tutor for what you need).

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 10:00:48 am »

Hey, it's another card to take note for that Mizzix's Mastery deck that doesn't exist. Right along Enter the Infinite and Praetor's Counsel.

And well, there's always Rector/Omniscience. I wouldn't dismiss it that much if it's a game winning spell just like Yawgmoth's Bargain.
mmcgeach
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 10:02:29 am »

tutor for lotus, yawgwill, some other goody is basically gg.  The problem with this is that for 1 less mana, you get Yawg bargain and just draw your deck (or deep enough to cantrip/tutor for what you need).
Sure, but bargain is restricted.  Griselbrand has taught us that there are decks that want more Bargains.  Probably worth testing this.
birds of paradise
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 11:01:53 am »

Bargain #2-5. Yeah, i like this. Can defenetly see a more black-based version
fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 12:47:37 pm »

It can be as game ending as Bargain, but this isn't Bargain, guys. Bargain nets you card advantage, so your combo after resolving it is protected. This is Doomsday meets Ill Gotten Gains. You probably need a Pact of Negation in those 3 cards to protect it.

For example, resolving a turn 1 Bargain can mean you just won the game. Resolving this... Well, we'll see how that game goes.

I really think somewhere in the format hides a combo deck with Mizzix's Mastery...
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 11:35:00 pm »

This card is very powerful, but it's fairly cost.  It's so close.
serracollector
Basic User

serracollector@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 04:22:04 am »

lotus, yawg will, flusterstorm doesn't get you there after what?

B/R discussions are not allowed outside of Vintage Issues, and that includes signatures.
fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 10:06:21 am »

lotus, yawg will, flusterstorm doesn't get you there after what?
Assuming you cast this and still have at least 1 mana available for Flusterstorm, right? And even if you do, you may have to work with Lotus mana only after will. Also, in this case, Flusterstorm doesn't win a counter war against 2 counters.
And if you pass the turn to untap, Flusterstorm gets way worse.
serracollector
Basic User

serracollector@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 11:47:01 am »

I'm assuming by the time you cast this you have already cast a flurry of rituals (dark or cabal with threshold) and maybe a Gitaxian probe this knowing what they have and what to grab.

B/R discussions are not allowed outside of Vintage Issues, and that includes signatures.
Protoaddict
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 01:26:59 pm »

The only way I see this working is if you cheat on costs, which is why omniscience seems like the only deck this makes sense in to me, also because you can chain them In that list. Omniscience into 2 duress effect into another one of these into more duress, eventually into wincon or whatever.

But since Omnitell is really just a niche deck in vintage if at all, Not sure where this would fit. Maybe it would be nice to hit of minds desire or something?

This is my podcast:

Http://www.fantasticneighborhood.com
Comedy gaming podcast. Listening to it makes you cool.
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 05:33:18 pm »

There is a real possibility that you already have played lotus if you can pay for this. I will be really surprised to see this played.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: