TheManaDrain.com
December 09, 2019, 09:16:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: The Force Awakens  (Read 22094 times)
Twaun007
Adepts
Basic User

For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi.

Twaun007
View Profile
« on: December 01, 2014, 09:38:18 am »

Last Friday this trailer/teaser dropped for Star Wars.

BAOM

This... Right here... Is my new Lambo...

Carpe Librum

You can't ask a bird not to fly!
You can't ask a fish not to swim!
You can't ask a Chinese guy not to turn back into a tiger at midnight!
It's who I am.

Cleveland
Killane
Full Members
Basic User

I am become Death, the destroyer of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 10:34:36 am »

I did NOT care for this trailer at all.

- the Falcon engine looks different, and the Falcon is clearly CGI. I admit we're almsot there, but models still look better than CGI and it's freakin's Star Wars! Can we not, PLEASE, film in the style of the original triology!?

- ok look, it;'s a little pointless ball droid. Yes it's great to have funny stuff like this thrown in (one can certainly not make any arguent with a straight face that the originals didn;t ahve this is spades), but why the Hey are they a focus in marketing? Funny is good, plain goofy is not

Both of these points woul be forgivable, but then we get this:

- a gimmicky, STUPIDLY BAD lightsabre design. WHY!?!?!? I get that they need to sell more toys, but can somebody PLEASE stop and think about intelligent weapon design for TWO SECONDS? When using a Broadsword, there is typically quite a bit of cotact between the user and the crossguard. This sabre would burn the weilder's hands off in about ten seconds. It is one of the WORST fictional weapin designs I have EVER seen.

I hate when they go gimmicky to make more marketing opportunities. Make a good movie - there will be plenty of stuff to sell to kids regardless.

Still hopeing the film ends up beng  good at the end fo the day, but the trailer did not leave me optimitistic.

DCI Rules Advisor
_____________________________ _____
Are you playing The Game?
Twaun007
Adepts
Basic User

Twaun007
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 12:06:43 pm »

Mmmm, much hate I sense in this thread Wink

Carpe Librum

It's who I am.

Cleveland
Greg
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 12:45:23 pm »

Here's a fun article about that new lightsaber design, which left me both excited and scratching my head.

I have mixed feelings on the actual teaser itself, but overall, I'm definitely psyched for the new movies. I'm an enormous fan of the original trilogy.
dangerlinto
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 12:46:53 pm »

I was not thrilled with the trailer, but mostly because

a) there wasn't any connections to the OT Characters.  In fact, beyond the Falcon and the Xwings, there was very little connective tissue.  I just wanna see Luke, Han, Leia in relation to something new.  

b) the shots were of nothing.  
 - Stormtrooper appears startled - Why should we care that he's startled?  Who is that guy?  I mean, if he was started and he say, had C3P0's head in his hand, then I'd react!
 - Woman hops on speeder box (seriously, it's a box... watch it).  So what?  It's 2014. If it was 1983 and that was a speeder bike shot I'd crap my pants but the effect is no longer scintillating.
 - Xwings race across canyon floor - again... nice effect, we've seen it...
 - Bad Guy has lightsaber with a trick.  Yeah, I get it - the SIth/Bad guys like to deviate from the norm with lightsabers (Maul's double saber, Dooku's Bent saber, etc..)

The Falcon being shot at by Tie Fighters saves this trailer.  Finally something that connects the OT to this and is visually exciting.   it's called STAR *WARS*.  I want a teaser trailer with the WARS part!  

Perhaps they were simply trying not to reveal any plot (and they did a hell of a good job at taht), and I'm not any less excited about the movie because of the teaser, but it wasn't anything special to me.
enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 01:40:43 pm »

For a teaser trailer, there is hardly anything to really be too upset about. They are still filming and everything about the movie is still subject to change... even what was shown in this trailer. In fact, I bet most of what was shown is either cut or re-shot in the final release.

I'll reserve any judgement/critique on future trailers closer to the release.
Montolio
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 03:31:15 pm »

I am a huge STAR WARS Fan.
I still actually have my blanket from when I was 5 years old.
All i can say was when that Bastard Sword light saber went off I got excited.
The trailer didn't show much otherwise, but I am looking forward to seeing this movie for-sure.

I've sparred with Demon's from the Nine Hells I say. I shall barely break a sweat here today!
Twitter handle @TheALPHA7
Hrishi
Basic User

hrishikesh29@gmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 03:32:58 pm »

I'm terrified Sad

I hoping it will be good and I'm scared that it won't be.

Lyna turned to the figure beside her. "They're gone. What now?"
"As ever," said Urza, "we wait."
H
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 03:49:25 pm »

I think there is a fair chance that these movies may turn out decent (i.e. better than the second trilogy, maybe close to the originals) due to them actually getting competent writers this time (i.e. not grown 5 year-olds).

As for the eye-candy, I don't give a shit, I don't watch Star Wars for visceral realism, as long as it is somewhat plausible and cool, I'm fine.

"The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
—Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order
JarofFortune
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 04:09:02 pm »

I'm terrified Sad

I hoping it will be good and I'm scared that it won't be.

I could not agree more. I'm very worried that they've jumped the shark yet again, but I'll try to stay open-minded until it actually comes out.

The Auriok have fought the metal hordes for so long now that knowing how to cripple them has become an instinct. -Metal Fatigue
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 05:19:20 pm »

I feel like the star wars series already hit rock bottom with Hayden Christensen's acting the last two movies.  So it can really only go up from here.
John Cox
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 08:48:30 pm »

I feel like the star wars series already hit rock bottom with Hayden Christensen's acting the last two movies.  So it can really only go up from here.
Thats only thing we know for sure.

Twiedel
2012 Vintage World Champion
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 03:44:03 am »

Still watching the old movies from time to time. Will be watching this in the cinema for sure, just to give it a shot. If it's crap though, will this do anything to my old favourites? I guess not ... so stop complaining. Anything with a lot of $$$ behind it must appeal to a greatest possible audience, and this won't be an "art" project where the goal is to make a "great film". It will be about earning money. Maybe we are lucky and get something cool out of it, but if not, why should we complain? *shrugs*
RitNecroWin
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 12:21:56 pm »

I'm actually surprised by most of the reactions...

Personally, I thought the trailer was INSANE in the best way possible!

Startled, paniced, helmetless stormtrooper... and in the background you can hear an imperial probe droid! - my best guess here is that someone has gone awol against the Empire (keep in mind that although Palpatine was killed, the Empire didn't just completely dissolve... so you SHOULD have a weakened Empire versus a strengthened Rebel Alliance.)

The little ball droid is based on a Ralph McQuirre scetch from back in the original Star Wars days...

The speeder bike looks like poo... but the rumors are that Daisey Ridley is playing a junker... so it would make sence that it looks like a hunk of junk.

The lightsaber plasma is unstabble and suggests that it's an old Sith Lord from a way earlier time resurected.... and the hilt suggests that as well.

As far as the Falcon looking CGI-ish... really?! It looks aged and proper... unlike the super polished CGI of the prequels... heck JJs attention to detail is unreal... look at the radar on the Falcon! It got knocked off in Jedi and appears different now - as if Han and Chewie actually replaced it themselves.

I'm geeking out like crazy over this one... I think it's going to rival Return of the Jedi! (Feel free to use this in your signature if the movie flops.... but it's doubtful that it will be less than awesome!)

"FWIW, the only thing truly hilarious here is how seriously you continue to take yourself after 15 years of spewing utter nonsense. It's no wonder Daniel Chang and a known cheat are your bffs." - Commandant
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 12:30:22 pm »

The trailer gave me very little hope for a Timothy Zahn series, but I suppose that was a pipe dream anyway.  The main characters are too old to make it work.  I'm still hopeful that we end up with a movie that is inspired by the characters and ideas in that series, though.  Grand Admiral Thrawn's character - quiet brilliance and economy in sharp contrast to the Emperor and Vader's careless cruelty -- is an amazing thing.

The trailer is completely neutral, and I don't get the sharp reactions.  It reveals practically nothing except a new lightsaber type for the movies, which, c'mon, you have to expect, and that the CG is not the same "million-things-crammed-into-a-screen-because-we-can" garbage of the prequels.
RitNecroWin
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 12:36:57 pm »

This is all rumor, but could be potential Spoiler...

At the very end of the trailer, you hear a lightsaber...LUKE's lightsaber!

I've heard that the movie may begin with Luke's lightsaber floating through space and finding it's way to Taitoine. Daisey Ridley recovers it and somehow someway the Empire finds out and sends a squadron to try and recover it. (The trailer shows the troopers and door opening and if you freeze it you can see housing silhouttes that look like the huts that Uncle Owen/Aunt Beru lived in.)

Rumors go on to say that John Boyega goes AWOL and is being hunted by the Empire.

Daisey Ridley finds him and helps him- and she has the lightsaber... they encounter Han and Chewie and those guys recognize Luke's lightsaber and get them off the planet; in search of Luke.

A lot of what happens in the trailer lines up pretty well with some of these rumors... and I would put a safe bet that their's some truth to some of the rumors.

Time will tell, but for being a teaser (for a film that's a year away from release) I think we got some generous glimpses.

"FWIW, the only thing truly hilarious here is how seriously you continue to take yourself after 15 years of spewing utter nonsense. It's no wonder Daniel Chang and a known cheat are your bffs." - Commandant
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 12:56:38 pm »

Star Wars Episode 9: The Search for Luke, huh?

I really don't think we learned much of anything from the trailers.  Except that, once again, the Universe revolves around Tatooine.  Actually, I have a much smaller problem with sequels revisiting familiar characters and places.  The characters already have built connections in the movie we saw.  It was just the prequels pre-connecting all of the same characters together that was vomit-inducing.
Norm4eva
Full Members
Basic User

The87thBombfish
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 02:17:02 pm »

I've never trusted Abrams, and I never will. I've never been able to forgive him for the death of my Trek.

Forgetting his Trek reboot for a second, even his other work in isolation just has these recurrent themes that I've never cared for -- characters making logical leaps and covering for knowledge they "shouldn't have" by just having a line or two about how it's sooo obvious and how could no one else come to these conclusions... and he ends up with these Michael Bay-ish scenes and shots where there's a bunch of action and movement but not particularly for any real reason, like the camera guy had ADHD and just wouldn't stop touching the zoom or whatever.

I don't think he creates relatable characters; even when he borrows against established material (cough cough Star Trek cough) there's no tying the individuals back to their originals lifetimes except for their names and titles. Their motives aren't in line with the characters, their lines tend to be more caricature than character, and it's more of that "things are happening and we're saying things and it sounds like Star **** but it doesn't really connect the dots". It's like using a borrowed Internet argument to make a point, and being unable to defend it in person - it's a surface-level understanding of the characters involved, all jelly no toast.

I give each JJ movie I see a "chance", even the Trek ones - and you know, sometimes things are really killer. I *really* liked Super 8, but then again I expect Spielburg stood behind him the whole time, the Al to his Dr. Beckett, keeping him on course. There are moments in various works with his name on them that really work for me, but largely they feel like sketches; a series of pretty-okay ideas that got crapped onto a sheet of paper with strong starts, muddling middles, and endings that just occur because that's what the script says happens.

He might be right at home in Star Wars, but really the only proof will be in the actual content of the script, which the trailer completely dodges save some Palpatine-esque delivery from a disembodied voice. I liked the futbol-bot, the Falcon vs TIE Guys clip, even the wubba-wubba speederbike thing. But there's just not really anything to take away from that preview apart from "things look like this and this and this", so it's hard to make any assessments at all. I have to agree with the critics of the lightsaber claymore thing though - I can't comment on whether the crossguard itself is any use, I'm not a swordmaker, but the kind of swordplay we tend to see in Star Wars is *so* close contact and involves a lot of flashy wrist-work and arcing around the face and body that I have difficulty believing such an instrument plays well with the kind of Jedi combat we're accustomed to.

And what I'd really, really be put-off by would be that somehow, even with Luke as the last of the affluent Force-sensitives around, that someone somewhere just independently realized the prequel-like acrobatics and tactics used by Jedi and Sith of old. The worst part of the powering-up Jedi saw in the prequels was that it shames the swordplay in IV, V and VI - Vader vs. Obi Wan in ANH looks like two Olds hitting each other with canes, compared to their duel in RotS. Espeeeeeeecially after Yoda gets stupid on Dooku in TCW; that guy's like 880 years old and he flips his shit on Count Dookula like a cat in a blender. Obi-Wan can't even muster an overhead strike. Even at its most epic, RotJ never gets that acrobatic. And I prefer that, vastly vastly prefer that to the prequel with its kung-fu-wires approach to combat. It just doesn't logically jive. I know I know, it's sci-fi in the first place, they're space wizards and I'm getting saucy over the details. Silly me.

I don't want to come up with a bunch of reasons to hate the movie before it comes out, and that's what it sounds like I'm doing. I'm really not, I just have a strong allergy to movies that are intended to be visually pleasing with a paper-thin storyline set to a familiar-enough scene, and I'm supposed to be adopting all this emotional involvement from stories that other people told. I can smell when the storyteller expects me to do that, and I can't fucking stand it, so yeah I'm a little wary I guess.
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 03:51:57 pm »

The worst part of the powering-up Jedi saw in the prequels was that it shames the swordplay in IV, V and VI - Vader vs. Obi Wan in ANH looks like two Olds hitting each other with canes, compared to their duel in RotS. Espeeeeeeecially after Yoda gets stupid on Dooku in TCW; that guy's like 880 years old and he flips his shit on Count Dookula like a cat in a blender.

I don't care about Star Wars, but I have seen the movies, and this statement could not be more wrong.  The lightsaber fights in the original movies have far more content and are far more fun to watch than the prequels.  Ignoring the fact that Yoda's whole character was shoved into a leotard, smeared with feces, and squeezed out of a donkey's anus when they made the peace-loving, wise Jedi do battle like muppet on crack, all of the prequel battles were lifted straight from a video game.  

Oh look, they're doing Jedi figure skating again.  Fantastic.  They sure look like they care about what's going on. Oh, did that bad guy just kill your mentor?  It's good that you can still flail around like a ballet dancer without any indication you care at all about that.  Seriously, not even shots showing sweat or exertion?  Showing that the battle has a human element?  That they're trying?  Deplorable.

The original lightsaber battles were far more weighty.  Vader toys with his son and holds back his power.  Luke doesn't know what the hell he's doing, and can only overcome Vader due to sheer rage and whatever other force-nonsense he's doing mentally at the time, all the while Vader is conflicted.  Obi-Wan is not actually trying to kill him, and they're just basically slapping each other while they have a "reunion" of sorts.  

The new movies can certainly strike a balance between the flashy-splashy techniques of the original series and the choreography of the originals, but to claim that the prequel battles were better is just... missing the whole point of a movie.  

EDIT: Beep beep I think I missed the GETTING THE POINT bus on this one.  Sounds like we agree.  You were comparing them to say that the prequels should not have done this.  Oops!
Twaun007
Adepts
Basic User

Twaun007
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 03:52:39 pm »

I really dig the greatest commonality between all of us lies in a game where we pretend to be wizards casting and summoning spells in order to defeat one another. Yet, we quickly forget how to suspend disbelief in just over a minute.

Colbert drops some knowledge on the lightsaber controversy

Carpe Librum

It's who I am.

Cleveland
keys
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 07:49:10 am »

I <3 Colbert so much.
Twaun007
Adepts
Basic User

Twaun007
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 02:22:02 pm »

Trailer Number II

I can feel The Dark Sith Lord himself, Stephen Q. Menedian grinning and laughing maniacally

Kung Pow Light Saber

Carpe Librum

It's who I am.

Cleveland
Meddling Mike
Master of Divination
Administrator
Basic User

Not Chris Pikula

micker01 Micker1985 micker1985
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 02:42:36 pm »

Must...contain...hype....

Meddling Mike posts so loudly that nobody can get a post in edgewise.

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
jcb193
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2015, 02:52:54 pm »

This trailer has gotten me more excited than any other one.  Those visuals were amazing.  I am a kid again.
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2015, 04:31:04 pm »

Indeed. Trailer was awesome, but I'm concerned that the film will only trade in nostalgia.  

Abrams has proven he's brilliant at stunts and getting the right tone/feel, but I'm apprehensive about content.  Remember Lost?

fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2015, 07:19:45 am »

Remember Lost?
We should be fine, Steve. Remember Mission Impossible 3, Star Trek and Super 8? I love all of them. Wink

I was not thrilled with the trailer, but mostly because

a) there wasn't any connections to the OT Characters.  In fact, beyond the Falcon and the Xwings, there was very little connective tissue.  I just wanna see Luke, Han, Leia in relation to something new.  

You do know it was Luke narrating the whole trailer, right? Also, I don't really think the movie will be good only if it connects with the OT. Genndy Tartakovsky "Clone Wars" was amazing and was related to EPs 2 and 3.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 07:23:16 am by fsecco » Logged
Twaun007
Adepts
Basic User

Twaun007
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2015, 08:16:51 am »

The Dark Side must have clouded this one from me, but apparently BB-8 is a real droid.

BB-8 rolls out on stage

Carpe Librum

It's who I am.

Cleveland
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2015, 01:15:12 pm »

Remember Lost?
We should be fine, Steve. Remember Mission Impossible 3, Star Trek and Super 8? I love all of them. Wink

That's what has me worried.  I didn't see Super 8, but the first two weren't that great.  Yes, they were entertaining, but they weren't memorable.  

Abrams always has a cool veneer, but I've never really found a "there" there.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 01:29:23 pm by Smmenen » Logged

Meddling Mike
Master of Divination
Administrator
Basic User

Not Chris Pikula

micker01 Micker1985 micker1985
View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2015, 01:23:32 pm »

It's sort of a strange project for Abrams. The bar has been set impossibly high by the original trilogy and at the same time remarkably low by the second trilogy.

Meddling Mike posts so loudly that nobody can get a post in edgewise.

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
jcb193
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2015, 01:28:34 pm »

I think he's good at creating exciting and reverent, yet unmemorable movies.  I thoroughly enjoyed the Star Trek films, and loved the cool scenes, but I barely remember much about them or their plots.  

From what I've seen, his visuals are pretty awesome, and just that scene of the crashed star destroyer has been burned into my brain, but I think nostalgia is against him.  Star Wars was unlike anything anybody had seen before.  These days, that's a pretty hard bar to meet, as VERY few movies spin my head these days.  Entertainment is just too disposable and easily consumed right now.

That said, when I saw that visual and Han Solo again, I haven't been that excited in a long time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: