TheManaDrain.com
January 25, 2020, 07:11:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [C15]Fiery Confluence  (Read 1621 times)
Saya
Basic User

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2015, 11:42:09 am »

Hey guys.This sorcery can do folling things.
1.Destroy three artifacts.
2.Kill mentor army.
3.crack an artifact by way of killing small creatures.
4.6 damage to a player or a PW.(so it wouldn't be unmanageable in your hand)

Aren't its flexibility and advantage worth paying 2RR?
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 12:06:34 pm »

This card's modes are totally relevant in Vintage; against shops, for example, it can kill either half of Walker and still do more work.  In a pinch it'll even hit a Lodestone.  I think it's a great card.  If they print it in standard, I think it immediately becomes a Modern all-star.

That's a might hefty casting cost for either Shatter or Pyroclasm, though. I venture to guess that it's not really something you want in Vintage or Legacy.  Particularly with Chalice having gotten the nerf bat, it seems like you have less need to splash hate against Shops while shoring up other matchups, which this does.

Also, it's hard to handle Mentor tokens with this.  A big ol' expensive spell that can't be instant-speed snuck in in response to a counter war?  Nah.

The way they phrased this, I wouldn't be surprised if we have a confluence for each color, though.  And as a command, it's not bad.  Are we gonna get "Brainy Confluence" where your choices are bounce a creature, draw a card and discard a card, or regrow an instant/sorc?  Good cycle is good.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:11:43 pm by MaximumCDawg » Logged
Meddling Mike
Master of Divination
Administrator
Basic User

Not Chris Pikula

micker01 Micker1985 micker1985
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 01:08:56 pm »

It's definitely interesting. I think it hits the issue of costing  {2} {R} {R} and being a sorcery though. As flexible as it is, most of the time if I can resolve a spell that costs that much it should be winning me the game. At the very least this seems like an awesome Burning Wish target if that deck ever comes back into vogue.

Meddling Mike posts so loudly that nobody can get a post in edgewise.

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
brianpk80
2015 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 01:34:27 pm »

I think the card is great.  Part of the problem with targeted hate is its conditionality.  You can condense some slots v. Shops and hate bears into one card and if you're really far ahead and don't need them, it becomes a Fireblast-esque finisher.  Can we choose Mode 3 and redirect 2 of the instances to a PW and 1 to the player?  Not sure.

It's also potentially better than Shatterstorm in effect since you may not want to sacrifice your own Moxen. 

"It seems like a normal Monk deck with all the normal Monk cards.  And then the clouds divide...  something is revealed in the skies."
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 02:06:09 pm »

It certainly seems like a playable card in sideboards.  I think the question that I will be asking when testing this is if the card is good enough to be main deck able.  2RR at sorcery spell is costly for an answer and it doesn't pitch to force, but it's likely game ending against shops (if you can cast it) and destroys mentor.  The 6 damage option is also nice as the card is never completely dead.
Aaron Patten
Basic User

Mox Dragon of the Lotus

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 02:38:06 pm »

Seems good.  Pretty mana intensive but effective if you can get there.  Almost impossible to cast through spheres.  Regarding Mentor, use Boseiju.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqvKjsIxT_8

University is just another one of those pyramid schemes like chain letters, the Freemason Society, Scientology, and... hmm... what's that really famous one? Oh yeah, Capitalism.
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 02:52:56 pm »

The cost is really high to consider it good hate against shops. Other than this, seems a great card, not too good because it's a sorcery, but pretty versatile. My question is, in which deck are you using this?
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 03:18:18 pm »

I think the double red makes it unplayable, but all the modes are solid. 
Khahan
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 03:37:36 pm »

A sorcery speed 4 casting cost with double red doesn't seem viable.  Sure its nice to picture dropping this against shops and clearing away lodestones and a sphere and amethyst all in 1 fell swoop. But if you have that much out against shops  you probably aren't dropping a 4 CC sorcery speed spell and if you have the resources to cast a 4CC sorcery speed you would probably have a card that just wins for  you.

Team - One Man Show.   yes, the name is ironic.
brianpk80
2015 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 05:24:39 pm »

A sorcery speed 4 casting cost with double red doesn't seem viable.  Sure its nice to picture dropping this against shops and clearing away lodestones and a sphere and amethyst all in 1 fell swoop. But if you have that much out against shops  you probably aren't dropping a 4 CC sorcery speed spell and if you have the resources to cast a 4CC sorcery speed you would probably have a card that just wins for  you.

That is certainly true but this card does help to address the issue of including the much better Shop answers in your sideboard and then finding yourself paired against Thalia/Spirit.dec (which seems to have gone on an uptick) and realizing "oh crap, I cut my Verdicts last month, I have almost nothing to bring in."  It's difficult to admit it cause we're such purebred blue mages but those Thalia decks are -nasty- and can easily ruin the day.  

"It seems like a normal Monk deck with all the normal Monk cards.  And then the clouds divide...  something is revealed in the skies."
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 06:07:39 pm »

It's also potentially better than Shatterstorm in effect since you may not want to sacrifice your own Moxen. 

I think this is the best examination.  It's a better Shatterstorm, since often times destroying three artifacts is good enough, and if you need to kill less than that, you get some burn out of it as well.
Protoaddict
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 06:35:42 pm »

I don't think it is well positioned right now. 2RR is tough to land, especially against the decks you need to get it against (shops) which will likely have at least one sphere out at that point. Against mentor it is really impossible for me to believe you will win a counter war when you are already spending 4 mana up front. Against shops I have to believe Shatterstorm is better, and the flexibility of it does not make up for the costs. Against Mentor a more unconditional board wipe (Supreme verdict for instance.)

This is my podcast:

Http://www.fantasticneighborhood.com
Comedy gaming podcast. Listening to it makes you cool.
nedleeds
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 12:25:23 pm »

Maybe in some Belcher build looking for a catch all hate card to leverage a critical mass of Rites / Songs? Notable that you could kill a Rod and maybe some non-Teeg hatebears with one card that you can Burning Wish for.
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 03:19:25 pm »

Maybe in some Belcher build looking for a catch all hate card to leverage a critical mass of Rites / Songs? Notable that you could kill a Rod and maybe some non-Teeg hatebears with one card that you can Burning Wish for.

Yeah, but how often is belcher able to generate 4 mana PLUS what it needs to kill while under a lock piece it needs to remove? 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: