TheManaDrain.com
August 19, 2019, 01:28:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Rumors/Previews/mtg.com articles 2010 - 2013  (Read 67663 times)
Twaun007
Adepts
Basic User

For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi.

Twaun007
View Profile
« Reply #390 on: April 16, 2012, 11:04:42 pm »

Apparently there is a land that names a creature type when it comes into play. Tap for colorless, or tap to add mana of any color to your pool, spend only on creature of the chosen type - that creature cannot be countered.

Just a rumor for now, but somewhat likely.

Uncounterable Snapcaster Mage and Bobby Digital would be insane.

This... Right here... Is my new Lambo...

Carpe Librum

You can't ask a bird not to fly!
You can't ask a fish not to swim!
You can't ask a Chinese guy not to turn back into a tiger at midnight!
It's who I am.

Cleveland
Archae
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #391 on: April 17, 2012, 02:50:50 am »

The land has been more or less confirmed. It should be played in most, if not every, format.
goober
Basic User

Goobady
View Profile Email
« Reply #392 on: April 17, 2012, 02:55:34 am »

Uncounterable Humans.  Auriok Salvagers, Trinket Mage, Snapcaster Mage, Dark Confidant, Delver of Secrets.  Seems good to say the least.

Team Grosse Manschaft
Klep
OMG I'M KLEP!
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 17, 2012, 09:06:13 am »

They're going to regret this, if true.  Just name BEASTS and make your Murlodonts EVEN MORE UNSTOPPABLE!

So I suppose I should take The Fringe back out of my sig now...
DubDub
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #394 on: April 17, 2012, 09:13:24 am »

They're going to regret this, if true.  Just name BEASTS and make your Murlodonts EVEN MORE UNSTOPPABLE BERSERK!
FTFY

Vintage is a lovely format, it's too bad so few people can play because the supply of power is so small.

Chess really changed when they decided to stop making Queens and Bishops.  I'm just glad I got my copies before the prices went crazy.
Bill Copes
Adepts
Basic User

I don't have an avatar. I am an avatar.

zebraturbosled
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #395 on: April 17, 2012, 10:10:51 am »

My love for you is ticking clock.

I'm the only other legal target, so I draw 6 cards, and he literally quits Magic. 

Terrorists searching in vain for these powerful weapons have the saying "Bill Copes spitteth, and he taketh away."

Team TMD
Norm4eva
Full Members
Basic User

The87thBombfish
View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 17, 2012, 10:16:49 am »

And my reanimator deck has a new creature in it.

As does my Commander deck.  Sweet Jesus but that's going to be fun, blowing up the world except for mine.
I don't think this is a reanimation target.  It simply doesn't "win now" or shut down your opponent like Iona, Terastodon, or Jin can.

In EDH, you build wraths_n_geddons.dec with this as your general, win once, and get mercilessly gang-raped thereafter.

More like, play it in Kaalia.dec and get punched in the face anyway.  But srsly, there's so many new dumb tools for Kaalia now.  Griselbrand, Gisela, Avacyn, just to name the ones that stick out in my head right now.  Just name the set "Kaalia Restored"
LotusHead
Full Members
Basic User

Team Vacaville

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 19, 2012, 11:35:52 pm »

Whoop!

Norm4eva
Full Members
Basic User

The87thBombfish
View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 20, 2012, 10:16:24 am »

Whoop!

I keep trying to decide whether or not this is awesome.  I'm just a beatdown nerd at the end of the day; Gruul beats, White Weenie, GW Little Kid "My First Deck" beatdown, dumb stuff like that.  And you know what little kids hate about their GW no-tempo no-card-advantage beats?  Counterspells.  And this card says no to the no.  Which is great.  I think.

Interactivity is what makes it a game.  And there are a TON of creatures with hexproof, uncounterability and indestructible in this set, and some of them grant those qualities to the rest of your dudes, if not your permanents.  It's one thing to Oath up a giant guy with protection from Magic the Gathering, but it seems like the effort to turn Magic into a game that's played primarily on the battlefield has the consequence of invalidating the capacity to play on the stack.  Like I said, I'm divided on whether or not this is cool.

I'm not a bitch claiming that Magic is over, but it does make me wonder just how far they really feel they have to go to make creature-based strategies as playable as Draw-Go decks that newbies just don't recognize as "fair" for quite a while.  Uncounterable hexproof indestrucible dudes are pretty uninteractive.
Guli
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 21, 2012, 06:28:10 am »

Let them interact by playing wasteland themselves and bolts, swords to plows.

policehq
I voted for Smmenen!
Basic User

p0licehq
View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: April 21, 2012, 09:03:12 am »

Return to Ravnica coming up. More dredge? Or perhaps more attempts to wipe Dredge out?
Norm4eva
Full Members
Basic User

The87thBombfish
View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 21, 2012, 09:39:30 am »

Return to Ravnica coming up. More dredge? Or perhaps more attempts to wipe Dredge out?

More like, more fetchable duals and hybrid mana craziness?

Unless the face of Ravnica has changed for some storyline reason that I never pay attention to.
brokenbacon
Basic User

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 21, 2012, 11:00:44 am »

More Bobby "Digital" Mayer please

TEAM TOP DECK INSURRECTION-luck draws...fukin luck draws
Vintage Master of Princeton @ SWC
Fuck your horse and the couch you rode in on
policehq
I voted for Smmenen!
Basic User

p0licehq
View Profile WWW
« Reply #403 on: April 21, 2012, 04:40:15 pm »

Unless the face of Ravnica has changed for some storyline reason that I never pay attention to.
Apparently "the guilds have been disbanded for a thousand years," according to various forum speak. Never in my life have I read storyline stuff, though. I don't know what flavor and mechanics there can be without that.

How many Mirrodin reprints found their way back into SoM block? Just Mindslaver, right? And no keywords were re-used, as far as I recall. So what would your one pick be for a Ravnica block rare reprinted as a mythic? Robert?
Norm4eva
Full Members
Basic User

The87thBombfish
View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 21, 2012, 04:54:16 pm »

Apparently "the guilds have been disbanded for a thousand years," according to various forum speak. Never in my life have I read storyline stuff, though. I don't know what flavor and mechanics there can be without that.

How many Mirrodin reprints found their way back into SoM block? Just Mindslaver, right? And no keywords were re-used, as far as I recall. So what would your one pick be for a Ravnica block rare reprinted as a mythic? Robert?

Rumbling Slum or gtfo.

Heh, ah srsly though, if they want to do their duty to king and country they won't reprint anything with Mythic rarity that wasn't already Mythic.  Moving Bob up to Mythic doesn't do anyone any favors and would just be a major conceit on behalf of WotC that they'll dangle a Mythic reprint carrot from a stick to make money.  It's one thing to reprint a Titan in the Core Sets, IIRC they were always mythic.  But taking something like Bob and +1'ing his rarity would be a giant asshole thing to do.

I've said as much on more than one occasion, but - Modern is a format, Commander has product support, Legacy is Legacy and Vintage is Vintage.  The overlap in staples is driving up prices in a very meaningful way.  So for them to drop any recent (see: 8th Edition on up) staples into packs with inflated rarity would just be a real kick in the breakfast.

I'm hoping for a more diversified approach to duals honestly.  As budget as I am with Magic, about the only thing I care about is that a return to Ravnica either sees a fresh reprinting of shocklands at their original rarity (IIRC they said they'd never print a mythic land), or a functional analog; something I can crack a fetchland to drum up.  With two 'supported' Eternal formats adding to the demand on Eternal staples, at least giving us the mana to cast the spells would be the least they could do, right?
LotusHead
Full Members
Basic User

Team Vacaville

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: April 21, 2012, 06:58:56 pm »

Trinket Mage comes to mind. But yer right, most were cycles re-invented (Spellbombs, Replicas, etc).

I much prefer new cards to reprinting old cards. Excepts for Fetches, Dual lands, Force of Wills, etc Smile

policehq
I voted for Smmenen!
Basic User

p0licehq
View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: April 21, 2012, 07:09:56 pm »

Rumbling Slum or gtfo.

Heh, ah srsly though, if they want to do their duty to king and country they won't reprint anything with Mythic rarity that wasn't already Mythic.  Moving Bob up to Mythic doesn't do anyone any favors and would just be a major conceit on behalf of WotC that they'll dangle a Mythic reprint carrot from a stick to make money.  It's one thing to reprint a Titan in the Core Sets, IIRC they were always mythic.  But taking something like Bob and +1'ing his rarity would be a giant asshole thing to do.

The only reason I mentioned mythic rarity was because Mindslaver was reprinted as a Mythic whereas it was a rare before. Honestly, looking at the marketing, I'm thinking Niv Mizzet will either be reprinted as a Mythic, made a planeswalker, or made into a bad card (like Akroma was).

I feel like any sort of G/B graveyard mechanic in the upcoming set would be an ideal time to reprint Tombstalker. WotC has wanted to have Standard functionality between the two blocks ever since the Onslaught -> Mirrodin faux pas, and Delve could be a good replacement for Dredge as well as work with Innistrad block flavor. If they didn't reprint Tombstalker, then Tarmogoyf would be a good second choice. Having the two together would create a standard legal Team America, which is not optimal in terms of fun.
Bill Copes
Adepts
Basic User

I don't have an avatar. I am an avatar.

zebraturbosled
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #407 on: August 12, 2012, 07:36:48 am »

So when do the alters start?

I'm the only other legal target, so I draw 6 cards, and he literally quits Magic. 

Terrorists searching in vain for these powerful weapons have the saying "Bill Copes spitteth, and he taketh away."

Team TMD
TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: August 12, 2012, 11:21:21 am »

If this guy were really a golgari lich lord, he should have dredge 10.

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
A.-1.
Full Members
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 15, 2012, 07:55:29 pm »

This was brought to my attention by Ryan Fisher.

FtV: Realms has been partially spoiled. MtG Salvation is one of the many sites that have pictures/confirmation. Some neat stuff for EDH.

EDIT:

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:57:39 am by A.-1. » Logged

Please make an attempt to use proper grammar.
LotusHead
Full Members
Basic User

Team Vacaville

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 26, 2012, 11:38:29 pm »

This looks fun! Maybe AK Intuition will be making a comeback!

Samoht
Adepts
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile Email
« Reply #411 on: August 27, 2012, 12:51:28 am »

ugh past in flames is going up if this is real

Char? Char you! I like the play.
-Randy Bueller

I swear I'll burn the city down to show you the light.

The best part of believe is the lie
quicksilvervii
Adepts
Basic User

There will be water if Ka wills it.

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 27, 2012, 10:12:05 am »

Picked up a set just in case since they're super cheap.  Modern has me worried about it more than anything.

Will be interesting to see if this card will have any real effect against workshop decks.  Might be a little too cute, but maybe this could be good in some sort of UR based snapcaster deck.

When there is no wind, row.
Norm4eva
Full Members
Basic User

The87thBombfish
View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 27, 2012, 01:02:38 pm »

Yeah this and the Izzet Charm look really playable.  Holy shit, kinda.

I mean it'd be nice if it went to the face too, but your choice of "creature Shock", Spell Pierce, or Careful Study, at UR Instant speed?  Very cool.
hvndr3d y34r h3x
Basic User

80:20 against LordHomerCat, the word's 2nd best an

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 27, 2012, 01:05:57 pm »

I doubt adding more cards (under-powered ones at that) to a 6 slot minimum draw engine will make it more playable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am 80:20 against LordHomerCat, the word's 2nd best and on other days the world's best vintage player. Wink
Norm4eva
Full Members
Basic User

The87thBombfish
View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 27, 2012, 02:58:26 pm »

I have trouble correctly evaluating Populate as a mechanic.  I suppose it will largely depend on the kind of tokens that are produced in this block, but Rootborn Defenses seems like an amazingly derpy thing to have in Limited at common.  Off the top of my head the only playable "big token" things that come to mind (in a format, not necessarily Standard) are Wurmcoil Engine, Call of the Herd and Phyrexian Processor.  Maybe some of the Spectral Procession/Lingering Souls business.  But yeah, what a cheap way to just keep making more dudes and protect them from being smashed.  Populate doesn't appear to actually cost anything on that card.

On the other hand it's just a token.  Feh.
LotusHead
Full Members
Basic User

Team Vacaville

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 28, 2012, 01:53:41 am »

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/activity/1047

It's not particularly relevant, but WOTC did actually talke about Vintage in this link.

Troy_Costisick
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #417 on: August 28, 2012, 06:44:33 pm »

Yeah, those two cards go really well together.  Red rituals get so cheap they start to resemble the black ones...

Samoht
Adepts
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile Email
« Reply #418 on: August 28, 2012, 07:05:35 pm »

Yeah, those two cards go really well together.  Red rituals get so cheap they start to resemble the black ones...

I meant for Standard, not Vintage.

Char? Char you! I like the play.
-Randy Bueller

I swear I'll burn the city down to show you the light.

The best part of believe is the lie
Troy_Costisick
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #419 on: August 28, 2012, 07:52:39 pm »

I meant for Standard, not Vintage.

I meant for Modern, not Standard.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15
  Print  

Jump to: