TheManaDrain.com
March 31, 2020, 04:45:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: TMD Online Invitational  (Read 7111 times)
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2011, 07:54:14 am »

Next week will see the first ever TMD Online Invitational.  Some of the best players in Vintage have been invited to play in an eight man, single elimination tournament. 

The matches:

Rich Shay vs. Shawn Anthony

Mark Hornung vs. Joe Brown

Matt Elias vs. Paul Mastriano

Nick Coss vs. Nick Detwiler

The Details:

Each of the players will be posting a quick report, after their round, that includes their decklist, why they played it and how the match went. 

The matches will be played on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  The following week we will have the semifinal match, with the finals being played the week following that.

The goal is to have an event like this run once every three or four months.  The cast of characters will not always be the same.  The second event will feature six invites handed out by the staff.  The final two slots will be awarded to players who have come in first and second in an eight man entry tournament.  More details on that will be posted at a later date.

If possible, the times and days of the given matches will be posted on TMD, allowing those who are interested to watch the matches play out on Cockatrice. 

"I値l break my staff,
Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,
And deeper than did ever plummet sound
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero's Art Collection
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 07:44:47 pm »

The first match (Rich Shay vs. Shawn Anthony) has seen Rich beat Shawn 2-1.  We'll have updates from Rich and Shawn at some point this week detailing the deck that they played and how the match went. 

Congrats Rich!

"I値l break my staff,
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Cruel Ultimatum
Full Members
Basic User

froz3nn
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 07:53:02 pm »

Why dont you have the players stream their matches, (obviously) with the understanding their opponents will not watch it during the match

Egan

ECW
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 08:44:20 pm »

Rich Shay
TMD Invitational Report, Round 1

I decided to play my Vintage Worlds deck, with only slight modification to the sideboard to be better-prepared against Dredge. I was very happy with it at Vintage Worlds, and I saw no reason to change my deck significantly.

// Lands
    2 Flooded Strand
    3 Island
    2 Tropical Island
    4 Underground Sea
    4 Misty Rainforest

// Creatures
    1 Blightsteel Colossus

// Spells
    1  Mox Emerald
    1  Mox Jet
    1  Mox Pearl
    1  Mox Ruby
    1  Mox Sapphire
    1  Black Lotus
    1  Mana Crypt
    1  Sol Ring
    1  Tendrils of Agony
    1  Tinker
    1  Ancestral Recall
    1  Brainstorm
    4  Gush
    3  Preordain
    1  Demonic Tutor
    1  Mystical Tutor
    1  Vampiric Tutor
    1  Merchant Scroll
    1  Duress
    4  Force of Will
    2  Hurkyl's Recall
    3  Mana Drain
    4  Mental Misstep
    1  Fastbond
    2  Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1  Regrowth
    1  Time Walk
    1  Timetwister
    1  Yawgmoth's Will

// Sideboard
SB: 2  Hurkyl's Recall
SB: 2  Dismember
SB: 2  Flusterstorm
SB: 3  Nature's Claim
SB: 1  Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 1  Yixlid Jailer
SB: 4  Leyline of the Void

Round I
vs Shawn Anthony

Game 1:

My opening hand involves Black Lotus, Brainstorm, Drain, and four land. I open with Island, Lotus. He opens with Fetch into Underground Sea and casts Imperial Seal. I cast Jace on my turn, and Shawn Forces. I Brainstorm in response, but the Force resolves. Shawn plays Fastbond followed by Preordain. He passes. I play a land and pass. I Drain his Gush on his next turn. His second Gush, however, does resolve. And so does his copy of Jace. Shawn Brainstorms with Jace and then casts Time Vault. On my turn I cast Gush with Drain mana. Right into two land. My next turn nets me yet another land, so I simply play the land and pass the turn back while Jace continues giving Shawn more card advantage. I'm sitting on Hurkyl's Recall and two land in hand, while Shawn quickly gets up to a full grip. I draw Time Walk into Gush, and draw right into Land and BSC. While I could actually cast the monster, Shawn has a Jace sitting on the table across from me. Finally, Voltaic Key arrives to put me out of my misery.

Sideboarding:
- 1 Mox Pearl
- 2 Hurkyl's
+ 2 Flusterstorm
+ 1 Nihil Spellbomb

Game 2:
I keep 4 land, Jace, Gush, and Scroll. Not that exciting, but it's a reasonable enough hand assuming Shawn doesn't do anything too quickly. He opens with Sapphire into Brainstorm, followed by a land. I have a Preordain on my turn, bottoming a Regrowth for which I lack green mana and keeping a Mental Misstep. Shawn misses his land drop, while I play my third land and Scroll for Ancestral, passing the turn without casting it. Shawn has his own Ancestral on my end step, to which I respond with my own. He REBs my Ancestral, and I Misstep his REB. We both draw three cards. Shawn plays a fetchland and gets and Underground Sea, casting Imperial Seal for the second time in the match. My hand, at this point, is 2 land, an Emerald, a Gush, a Flusterstorm, and a pair of Jaces. I untap my three land and draw Preordain. My plan, now, is to resolve Jace. I play Emerald, land, and then Jace with Flusterstorm mana open. He resolves and I immediately fateseal Shawn. Lotus goes right to the bottom. That's my entire turn. Shawn then casts Gush, floating two blue mana. It's always slightly unnerving when the opponent has 11 cards in his hand. Preordain resolves next. Shawn plays a land and then discards three cards. I Brainstorm with Jace. At this point I have Gush, Jace, 2 Fetchland, Flusterstorm, Preordain, Timetwister, and two Mental Misstep in hand. I return a land and the Twister, and then shuffle with a Fetch. I Preordain seeing Sol Ring and Gush, keeping the Gush. I then pass the turn with five mana open. Shawn plays a Sea, and I Misstep his Key. I run out a Gush on his endstep, hardcast. He Drains it, as I expected. I draw a Fetchland on my turn and Gush floating two blue. I get Regrowth and Nihil. I Brainstorm with Jace, returning BSC and island, netting a Lotus and a Drain. I drop Lotus, then regrow Ancestral. I cast that with a Sea and a Trop open. At this point my hand is Jace, 2 Flusterstorm, Misstep, Nihil, 2 Drains, Island and a Preordain. I cast Nihil, discard Jace, and pass. My plan to go off that turn wasn't entirely successful, and I didn't want to tap one of the two remaining blue mana I had to continue trying, given the counterwall in my hand. Shawn then casts Gush, and I let it resolve. Shawn then casts Jace, which I drain. Shawn Forces my Drain, with 3 mana floating, and two more open. Storm count is four -- I cast Flusterstorm. He'd have to tap out to pay for it, and I have another in reserve. Moreover, if I don't cast it now, he can simply attack to remove the blue, meaning I couldn't cast it later this turn anyway. He doesn't pay. He Drains my Drain, but I Flusterstorm back. He passes the turn. I draw Force, and cast Preordain. I bottom a Ruby and keep Force. I then Brainstorm off Jace. I draw into Twister, Crypt, and Yawgmoth's Will. I return Island and Twister, cast Crypt, and play Yawgmoth's Will. I fetch, and start casting draw spells from the yard. I can Scroll for Mystical for Tendrils at that point.

Game 3:
I keep the same sideboard plan. My opener has Jace, Sol Ring, Gush, and four land. That's a third hand that I get with four land, but also the third such hand I decline to Mulligan. I keep, since this could get me a second-turn Jace. Shawn mulligans. I draw Misstep and cast Sol Ring. We trade Missteps. Shawn plays a Sapphire but not a second land. I don't want to crash my Jace into a Drain, so I cast the Preordain I just drew. Jet to the bottom, Flusterstorm to hand. I was happy to get a counter in my hand. Shawn, meanwhile, has nothing. I draw Regrowth. I play Land, then Jace. I get the expected Mana Drain, and respond with Flusterstorm. Even if he Forces, he won't be getting any mana. He has the Force, in fact, and hits Jace. His next turn is more nothing. I draw Demonic Tutor -- at this point, Shawn has two mana open still. I test the water by floating UB and Gushing, and it resolves. I then Regrow and recast Jace, who eats a Force yet again. Scalding Tarn shows up for Shawn, getting him red mana for the first time in the game. Shawn then has a Grudge against my Sol Ring. But, he has no cards in hand and I draw Yawgmoth's Will. I can Demonic for Lotus, cast Will, recast Lotus, and grab Fastbond from there.

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 08:37:21 pm »

Tuesday's match of Mark Hornung vs. Joe Brown has been postponed until Wednesday.

"I値l break my staff,
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Bill Copes
Adepts
Basic User

I don't have an avatar. I am an avatar.

zebraturbosled
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 10:04:42 pm »

This is awesome, guys!  It's a great idea and it's absolutely worthwhile-reading content.  Nice report, Rich -- always enjoyed your tornament reports.

I'm the only other legal target, so I draw 6 cards, and he literally quits Magic. 

Terrorists searching in vain for these powerful weapons have the saying "Bill Copes spitteth, and he taketh away."

Team TMD
Commandant
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 10:10:41 pm »

I like this.

Quote from: David Ochoa
Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
voltron00x
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 08:31:38 pm »

Just finished my match against Paul. I was hoping to play against Gush, Snapcaster, Shops, or Doomsday, but unfortunately Paul played Landstill, which is a nightmare matchup for this:

1 Tinker
4 Entomb
3 Reanimate
4 Exhume
1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
1 Terastodon
1 Blightsteel Colossus
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Time Walk
4 Force of Will
1 Sol Ring
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Ruby
3 Forbidden Orchard
2 Underground Sea
1 Bayou
1 Island
1 Swamp
3 Misty Rainforest
2 Polluted Delta
1 Verdant Catacombs
2 Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
1 Stormtide Leviathan
2 Flusterstorm
1 Brainstorm
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Mox Pearl
3 Mental Misstep
1 Careful Study
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Oath of Druids
1 Tropical Island
1 Thoughtseize

SB: 3 Oath of Druids
SB: 1 Forbidden Orchard
SB: 1 Stormtide Leviathan
SB: 2 Hurkyl's Recall
SB: 1 Nature's Claim
SB: 1 Forest
SB: 2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
SB: 1 Time Vault
SB: 1 Voltaic Key
SB: 1 Steel Sabotage
SB: 1 Thoughtseize

This is a pretty all-in deck on the first few turns game 1, and Landstill is way too counter dense.  I also really cheated on Dredge hate...... but you have a not totally unwinnable matchup.  Game 1, you have to try to go for Stormtide.  Game 2, you bring in Oath plus the 2nd Stormtide, and just go all-in on that guy.  Most builds have only 4x Chain of Vapor to beat you.

I really just wanted to play Reanimator in Vintage with Jin-Gitaxias.  There are a few issues now that didn't exist last time I tried this, such as Mental Misstep a) existing, and b) being popular.  That said, last time around, Spell Pierce was everywhere, and it's actually easier to play around Misstep with your own, or to use Exhume, than it was to beat 4x Spell Pierce. 

Conceptually you side out:  4 Entomb, 3 Reanimate, 4 Exhume for 3 Oath, 1 Orchard, 1 Forest, 1 Thoughtseize, 1 Key, 1 Time Vault, 2 Jace TMS, and 1 Hurks / Sabotage.  I'll also often play around with the creatures.

Game one, I kept a hand with Mystical Tutor, Demonic Tutor, Exhume, Flusterstorm, and lands.    Paul won the roll and mulled to 6, I kept 7.  Paul played an Island and passed, I drew Mox Emerald, played land plus Mox, and passed.  Paul played a Wasteland and Time Walk; Wasteland made me worried he was on Landstill, so I countered with Flusterstorm.  I played upkeep Mystical for Entomb and resolved Entomb for Jin Gitaxias, then passed.  On his turn, Paul played Standstill.  I drew and went for Exhume, which ate a Force of Will.  I shipped back, and Paul played Jace, and used Brainstorm. On my turn, I made a critical error; I played Black Lotus, then Demonic Tutor for Exhume, then cast another Exhume.  Paul had one blue up, so I wanted to play around Spell Pierce.  Instead, the third spell let Paul MB Trap my Exhume, and that was game.  I probably would've lost to Jace anyway, but I would've drawn 7 at end-step, and I did hit another Exhume, Time Walk, and some counters, so I would've at least had a shot.

For game two, this deck wants to turn into Oath of Druids to beat Dredge hate.  The problem is that this strategy also blows against Landstill.  I did it anyway.  I took a mull to six this game, and the hand was Mox, Mox, Land, Key, Time Vault, Force of Will.  All-in.  Of course, for this to work, Paul has to not have Force, not have MB Trap, and not Misstep my Key.  He had Force of Will, and that was that.

This is a really fun deck, even if the Landstill match-up blows.  Triggering Jin in Vintage feels so much like cheating.  

We played two more games with me on an updated Gro, both preboard, and split 1-1. For those that are interested, here's that list.  If you read my article on the Gro deck, I mentioned that I hadn't tested Goyf instead of Dryad and wasn't sure if that wasn't better; I've been testing that lately.  With the meta being what it is and cards like Bolt running around (and Landstill seeing play!) I'd recommend Goyf, and a fourth Remora as well.  Here's that list:

4 Gush
3 Mental Misstep
4 Force of Will
1 Fastbond
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Ponder
1 Time Walk
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Pearl
2 Island
3 Tropical Island
3 Underground Sea
1 Sol Ring
4 Misty Rainforest
3 Polluted Delta
1 Tinker
1 Blightsteel Colossus
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Flusterstorm
4 Mystic Remora
3 Dark Confidant
4 Tarmogoyf
1 Preordain

SB: 2 Hurkyl's Recall
SB: 3 Nature's Claim
SB: 1 Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 1 Forest
SB: 2 Yixlid Jailer
SB: 4 Leyline of the Void
SB: 1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
SB: 1 Mental Misstep
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:11:03 pm by voltron00x » Logged

展in as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.

Team East Coast Wins
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 08:02:22 pm »

So, if you're at home on Friday night, like all the other cool kids, you can now watch Nick Coss and I battle on Cockatrice.  The room is set up to allow spectators.  The name of the room is Prospero vs. Iron Chef.  Results and lists from our match will be posted soon after the end of the match.

"I値l break my staff,
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Iron_Chef
Goddamned Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Managing Partner, Top Deck Games and CardTitan.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 08:58:07 pm »

Well, I just finished my match vs. Nick Detwiler.  Even though I lost in three games, I think that Minus Six (my deck of choice) is well-equipped to handle Stax.  I decided to change it up a little bit from the normal 75, because normally my list has Vault/Key, Tinker, and BSC in the Sideboard (as part of the transformational package).  I find myself sb-ing those 4 cards in... a LOT.  I cut 1 Duress, 2 Intuition, and 1 Read the Runes to fit Tinker, Vault/Key, and BSC in the maindeck.  That also freed up 4 SB slots which I used to include 1 Hurkyl's Recall and 3 Yixlid Jailer (I don't like Leyline unless I'm playing 4 of them).

Here's my list:

Minus Six: by Nick Coss
4 Underground Sea
4 Bazaar of Baghdad
3 Flooded Strand
4 Polluted Delta
2 Island
1 Swamp

1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mana Crypt
1 Sol Ring

4 Dark Confidant
3 Worldgorger Dragon
1 Oona, Queen of the Fae
1 Blightsteel Colossus

2 Animate Dead
2 Dance of the Dead
1 Necromancy

4 Force of Will
1 Brainstorm
1 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Time Walk
1 Echoing Truth
1 Tinker
1 Read the Runes

3 Duress
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Imperial Seal

1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Voltaic Key
1 Time Vault

SB: 4 Mana Drain
SB: 2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
SB: 1 Tolarian Academy
SB: 1 Snow-Covered Island
SB: 1 Tezzeret the Seeker
SB: 1 Gifts Ungiven
SB: 1 Yawgmoth's Will
SB: 1 Hurkyl's Recall
SB: 3 Yixlid Jailer

I'll post how our games played out (from my perspective) as well as the how and why behind my plays by the end of the weekend.  For now, I have a PTQ to get ready for!

-Nick

I saw this "Code" box in another post, and thought it would be useful to post the game logs without it being 45203 pages long.  Seems a bit tough to read.  If you'd like to read it, I suggest copying/pasting it into Notepad or something similar.  YMMV.

Code: (Our game logs)
Here is the game log from myself, Iron Chef (Nick Coss) vs. Prospero (Nick Detwiler)

Prospero rolls a 1 with a 20-sided die.
Iron Chef rolls a 15 with a 20-sided die.

Iron Chef draws 7 cards.
Prospero draws 7 cards.  (He keeps)

My 7 card hand had Force of Will, Dark Confidant, Necromancy, Animate Dead, Read the Runes, Dance from the Dead, and Duress.  See what's missing?  Mana.  Mulligan!

I keep my six, which included a Dark Confidant, Time Vault, Mox Pearl, Animate Dead, and 2 land.

Turn 1:

I play Mox Pearl, Delta (fetch for a Swamp), cast Dark Confidant, and pass the turn.  Dark Confidant is the most important card in this matchup, since this deck NEEDS a way to stay ahead in permanents.

Prospero draws 1 card(s).
Prospero puts Mox Ruby into play from hand.
Prospero puts Mishra's Workshop into play from hand.
Prospero taps Mishra's Workshop.
Prospero taps Mox Ruby.
Prospero puts Smokestack into play from hand.

Turn 2:

I untap, and reveal Dance of the Dead to Bob, going to 18
I draw Ancestral Recall for my turn, and play it, drawing Mox Pearl, Dark Confidant, and Bazaar.  I play the Pearl and my 2nd Bob.

After attacking Prospero for 2, I pass.

Prospero untaps Mox Ruby.
Prospero untaps Mishra's Workshop.
Prospero places 1 counter(s) on Smokestack (now 1).
Prospero: thinking
Iron Chef: np
Prospero taps Mox Ruby.
Iron Chef: ok
Prospero puts Mishra's Factory into play from hand.
Prospero puts Mox Emerald into play from hand.
Prospero taps Mox Emerald.
Prospero taps Mishra's Factory.
Prospero puts Sphere of Resistance into play from hand.
Prospero: pass
Iron Chef untaps his permanents.
Iron Chef puts Dark Confidant from table into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Bazaar of Baghdad into play from the top of his library.
Iron Chef puts Mox Emerald into play from the top of his library.
Iron Chef moves Mox Emerald from table to hand.
Iron Chef moves Bazaar of Baghdad from table to hand.
Iron Chef draws 1 card(s).
Iron Chef taps Mox Pearl.
Iron Chef puts Mox Emerald into play from hand.
Iron Chef taps Dark Confidant.
Prospero sets counter life to 17 (-1).
Prospero sets counter life to 16 (-1).
Iron Chef puts Polluted Delta into play from hand.
Iron Chef taps Swamp.
Iron Chef taps Underground Sea.
Iron Chef taps Mox Emerald.
Iron Chef puts Dance of the Dead into play from hand.
Iron Chef puts Dark Confidant into play from graveyard.
Prospero: ok
Iron Chef: pass
Prospero untaps Mishra's Factory.
Prospero untaps Mox Emerald.
Prospero taps Mox Emerald.
Prospero untaps Mox Emerald.
Prospero puts Mox Emerald from table into graveyard.
Prospero places 1 red counter(s) on Smokestack (now 2).
Prospero places 1 red counter(s) on Smokestack (now 1).
Iron Chef: not floating mana?
Prospero: I did
Prospero: I tapped it
Prospero: I'm activating the Factory
Paluka is now watching the game.
Iron Chef: gotcha
Prospero: and moving to my draw step
Prospero puts Wasteland into play from hand.
Prospero taps Wasteland.
Prospero puts Tangle Wire into play from hand.
Prospero places 4 red counter(s) on Tangle Wire (now 4).
Prospero: Stack 2 hits
Prospero: then Stack 1
Prospero: Then Wire
Iron Chef: then bobs
Iron Chef points from Iron Chef's Dark Confidant to Prospero's Smokestack.
Iron Chef points from Iron Chef's Dance of the Dead to Prospero's Smokestack.
Prospero: correct
Iron Chef puts Dance of the Dead from table into graveyard.
Iron Chef points from Iron Chef's Dark Confidant to Prospero's Smokestack.
Iron Chef taps Mox Pearl.
Iron Chef taps Swamp.
Iron Chef taps Mox Emerald.
Iron Chef puts Bazaar of Baghdad into play from the top of his library.
Iron Chef puts Mox Ruby into play from the top of his library.
Iron Chef moves Bazaar of Baghdad from table to hand.
Iron Chef moves Mox Ruby from table to hand.
Iron Chef puts Bazaar of Baghdad into play from hand.
Iron Chef taps Bazaar of Baghdad.
Iron Chef: k?
Prospero: sure
Iron Chef puts Time Vault from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Underground Sea from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Animate Dead from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Polluted Delta from table into graveyard.
Iron Chef sets counter life to 17 (-1).
Iron Chef is looking at his library.
Iron Chef puts Island from library on top of his library.
Iron Chef puts Underground Sea into play from library.
Iron Chef stops looking at his library.
Iron Chef shuffles his library.
Iron Chef puts Mox Ruby into play from hand.
Iron Chef taps Mox Ruby.
Iron Chef puts Black Lotus into play from hand.
Iron Chef puts Black Lotus from table into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Dark Confidant into play from hand.
Prospero untaps Wasteland.
Prospero removes 1 red counter(s) from Tangle Wire (now 3).
Iron Chef: np
Prospero taps Tangle Wire.
Prospero taps Mox Ruby.
Prospero taps Sphere of Resistance.
Prospero puts Mox Ruby from table into graveyard.
Prospero puts Tangle Wire from table into graveyard.
Prospero untaps Sphere of Resistance.
Prospero puts Mishra's Factory from table into graveyard.
Prospero: no ramps
Iron Chef: k
Prospero: draw
Prospero puts Wasteland into play from hand.
Prospero taps Wasteland.
Prospero taps Wasteland.
Prospero taps Wasteland.
Prospero taps Wasteland.
Prospero puts Chalice of the Void into play from hand.
Prospero places 2 red counter(s) on Chalice of the Void (now 2).
Iron Chef puts Mox Pearl from table into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Mox Emerald from table into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Flooded Strand into play from the top of his library.
Iron Chef moves Flooded Strand from table to hand.
Iron Chef puts Duress from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Brainstorm from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Sol Ring from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Bazaar of Baghdad into play from hand.
Iron Chef puts Worldgorger Dragon from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Flooded Strand from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef taps Mox Ruby.
Iron Chef puts Mana Crypt into play from hand.
Iron Chef taps Mana Crypt.
Iron Chef taps Swamp.
Iron Chef puts Necromancy into play from hand.
Iron Chef puts Worldgorger Dragon into play from graveyard.
Iron Chef: 2 at a time?
Iron Chef untaps Bazaar of Baghdad.
Iron Chef untaps Underground Sea.
Iron Chef untaps Underground Sea.
Iron Chef untaps Bazaar of Baghdad.
Iron Chef untaps Mana Crypt.
Iron Chef untaps Swamp.
Iron Chef untaps Mox Ruby.
Iron Chef puts Vampiric Tutor from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Bazaar of Baghdad from hand into graveyard.
Prospero: Oona, right?
Iron Chef puts Thirst for Knowledge from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Tinker from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef: yup
Iron Chef puts Demonic Tutor from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Read the Runes from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Mox Sapphire from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Force of Will from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Animate Dead from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Voltaic Key from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Time Walk from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Mox Jet from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Echoing Truth from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Island from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Polluted Delta from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Polluted Delta from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Dark Confidant from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Sensei's Divining Top from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Underground Sea from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Bazaar of Baghdad from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Blightsteel Colossus from hand into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Blightsteel Colossus into play from graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Blightsteel Colossus from table on top of his library.
Prospero: gg
Iron Chef: gg
Prospero has conceded the game.
Iron Chef is ready to start the game.
Prospero is ready to start the game.
The game has started.

It is now Prospero's turn.

It is now the untap step.
zinc is now watching the game.
Prospero shuffles his library.
Iron Chef draws 7 card(s).
Prospero: mull
Prospero puts a card from hand on top of his library.
Prospero draws 6 card(s).
Iron Chef: kp
Prospero draws 5 card(s).
Prospero: keep
Prospero puts Mox Sapphire into play from hand.
Prospero taps Mox Sapphire.
Prospero puts Lodestone Golem into play from hand.
Iron Chef puts Snow-Covered Island into play from hand.
Iron Chef puts Mox Jet into play from hand.
Iron Chef taps Snow-Covered Island.
Iron Chef taps Mox Jet.
Iron Chef plays Duress from hand.
Prospero puts Ghost Quarter into play from hand.
Prospero puts Smokestack from table into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Duress from the stack into graveyard.
Prospero moves Ghost Quarter from table to hand.
Prospero untaps Mox Sapphire.
Prospero taps Lodestone Golem.
Iron Chef sets counter life to 19 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 18 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 16 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 15 (-1).
Prospero untaps Lodestone Golem.
Meddling Mage is now watching the game.
Iron Chef sets counter life to 14 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 13 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 12 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 11 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 10 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 9 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 8 (-1).
Iron Chef taps Snow-Covered Island.
Iron Chef taps Mox Jet.
Iron Chef plays Brainstorm from hand.
Iron Chef: in resp
Iron Chef puts Blightsteel Colossus from hand on top of his library.
Iron Chef puts Polluted Delta from hand on top of his library.
Iron Chef puts Brainstorm from the stack into graveyard.
Iron Chef sets counter life to 7 (-1).
Iron Chef puts Island into play from library.
Iron Chef taps Island.
Iron Chef plays Force of Will from hand.
Iron Chef exiles Thirst for Knowledge from hand.
Iron Chef sets counter life to 6 (-1).
Iron Chef puts Force of Will from the stack into graveyard.
Prospero puts Ghost Quarter into play from hand.
Prospero taps Ghost Quarter.
Prospero puts Ghost Quarter from table into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Island from table into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Swamp into play from library.
Iron Chef puts Island into play from hand.
Iron Chef puts Mox Ruby into play from hand.
Prospero untaps Lodestone Golem.
Iron Chef taps Mox Ruby.
Iron Chef taps Island.
Iron Chef taps Swamp.
Iron Chef puts Echoing Truth into play from hand.
Iron Chef points from Iron Chef's Echoing Truth to Prospero's Lodestone Golem.
Prospero moves Lodestone Golem from table to hand.
Iron Chef sets counter life to 5 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 4 (-1).
Iron Chef puts Echoing Truth from table into graveyard.
Iron Chef taps Island.
Iron Chef taps Mox Ruby.
Iron Chef plays Time Walk from hand.
Iron Chef puts Time Walk from the stack into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Tolarian Academy into play from hand.
Iron Chef: walk turn?
Prospero puts Crucible of Worlds into play from hand.
Prospero puts Ghost Quarter into play from graveyard.
Iron Chef sets counter life to 3 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 2 (-1).
Prospero taps Ghost Quarter.
Prospero puts Ghost Quarter from table into graveyard.
Prospero: Swamp
Iron Chef puts Swamp from table into graveyard.
Iron Chef: fail to find =)
Iron Chef has conceded the game.
Player is now watching the game.
Prospero is ready to start the game.
Iron Chef is ready to start the game.
The game has started.

It is now Prospero's turn.

It is now the untap step.
Iron Chef: pl
Iron Chef draws 7 card(s).
Iron Chef: kp
Prospero draws 6 card(s).
Prospero: keep
Iron Chef puts Island into play from hand.
Iron Chef taps Island.
Iron Chef puts Sensei's Divining Top into play from hand.
Prospero puts Mox Ruby into play from hand.
Prospero taps Mox Ruby.
Prospero puts Sol Ring into play from hand.
Prospero taps Sol Ring.
Prospero places 4 red counter(s) on Tangle Wire (now 4).
Iron Chef untaps Island.
Iron Chef taps Island.
Iron Chef points from Iron Chef's Island to Iron Chef's Sensei's Divining Top.
Iron Chef is looking at the top 3 cards of his library.
Iron Chef taps Sensei's Divining Top.
Prospero untaps Sol Ring.
Prospero removes 1 red counter(s) from Tangle Wire (now 3).
Prospero taps Mox Ruby.
Prospero taps Sol Ring.
Iron Chef sets counter life to 19 (-1).
Iron Chef taps Island.
Prospero untaps Tangle Wire.
Prospero removes 1 red counter(s) from Tangle Wire (now 2).
Prospero taps Smokestack.
Prospero places 1 red counter(s) on Smokestack (now 1).
Prospero taps Sol Ring.
Prospero puts Karn, Silver Golem into play from hand.
Prospero taps Mox Ruby.
Prospero puts Ratchet Bomb into play from hand.
Iron Chef: thinking
Prospero: Stack resolves
Prospero: then Wire resolves
Iron Chef: yup
Prospero: when you're done thinking
Iron Chef puts Sensei's Divining Top from table into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Underground Sea from table into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Sensei's Divining Top into play from graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Underground Sea into play from graveyard.
Iron Chef: lol
Iron Chef puts Underground Sea from table into graveyard.
Iron Chef taps Island.
Iron Chef sets counter life to 18 (-1).
Iron Chef taps Polluted Delta.
Iron Chef puts Underground Sea into play from hand.
Prospero taps Ratchet Bomb.
Prospero places 1 red counter(s) on Ratchet Bomb (now 1).
Prospero untaps Ratchet Bomb.
Prospero untaps Tangle Wire.
Prospero untaps Smokestack.
Prospero removes 1 red counter(s) from Tangle Wire (now 1).
Prospero taps Mox Ruby.
Prospero puts Mox Ruby from table into graveyard.
Prospero places 1 red counter(s) on Smokestack (now 2).
Prospero taps Sol Ring.
Prospero puts Sphere of Resistance into play from hand.
Prospero puts Phyrexian Metamorph into play from hand.
Prospero sets counter life to 19 (-1).
Prospero sets counter life to 18 (-1).
Prospero: Sphere
Iron Chef: sac then tap, i'll bet
Iron Chef: =)
Prospero: yup
Iron Chef taps Island.
Iron Chef points from Iron Chef's Island to Iron Chef's Sensei's Divining Top.
Iron Chef puts Island from table into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Sensei's Divining Top from table into graveyard.
Iron Chef puts Black Lotus into play from the top of his library.
Iron Chef moves Black Lotus from table to hand.
Prospero taps Ratchet Bomb.
Prospero places 1 red counter(s) on Ratchet Bomb (now 2).
Prospero untaps Ratchet Bomb.
Prospero removes 1 red counter(s) from Tangle Wire (now 0).
Prospero: float
Prospero puts Mishra's Factory from table into graveyard.
Prospero: make Stack a 4/4
Prospero: draw step
Prospero taps Sol Ring.
Prospero taps Karn, Silver Golem.
Prospero taps Smokestack.
Prospero taps Sphere of Resistance.
Prospero taps Phyrexian Metamorph.
Prospero: 12 you
Iron Chef sets counter life to 16 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 15 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 14 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 13 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 12 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 11 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 10 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 9 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 8 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 7 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 6 (-1).
Iron Chef: hmm
Iron Chef puts Dark Confidant into play from the top of his library.
Iron Chef sets counter life to 5 (-1).
Iron Chef sets counter life to 4 (-1).
Iron Chef moves Dark Confidant from table to hand.
Iron Chef moves Ancestral Recall from the top of his library to hand.
Prospero: hey
Prospero: Nick
Iron Chef: ?
Prospero: you have a 2 sack
Prospero: Delta + ?
Iron Chef: woops
Prospero: yeah
Prospero: cheater!
Iron Chef: hehe
Iron Chef: savage cheater =)
Iron Chef: i've got nothing, gg =)
Prospero: gg
Iron Chef puts Mana Drain into play from hand.
Iron Chef puts Worldgorger Dragon into play from hand.
Iron Chef puts Flooded Strand into play from hand.
Iron Chef puts Black Lotus into play from hand.
Iron Chef puts Tolarian Academy into play from hand.
Iron Chef puts Ancestral Recall into play from hand.
megane159357 is now watching the game.
Prospero: I'd show you my hand
Iron Chef: hehe
Prospero: but it took everything to beat you
Meddling Mage is not watching the game any more.
Prospero: post the list on TMD?
Iron Chef: yup, you got it
megane159357 is not watching the game any more.
Prospero puts Tolarian Academy into play from hand.
Prospero puts Ancient Tomb into play from hand.
Prospero puts Phyrexian Metamorph into play from hand.
Iron Chef: ggs
Prospero: ggs
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 09:57:53 pm by Iron_Chef » Logged

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

"Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it." -Laurence J. Peter

I'm that guy who runs that thing.
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 09:24:00 pm »

I defeated Nick Coss 2-1.  

The list that I ran:

Nouveau Espresso

1 Black Lotus
4 Chalice of the Void
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Pearl
1 Sol Ring
4 Sphere of Resistance
3 Thorn of Amethyst
2 Crucible of Worlds
4 Tangle Wire
1 Trinisphere
4 Lodestone Golem
4 Phyrexian Metamorph
4 Smokestack
3 Karn, Silver Golem

1 Ghost Quarter
1 Strip Mine
1 Tolarian Academy
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Mishra's Factory
4 Mishra's Workshop
4 Wasteland

SB:

3 Dismember
4 Tormod's Crypt
3 Nihil Spellbomb
3 Ratchet Bomb
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Ghost Quarter

I decided to play the list that I should have played at Blue Bell last weekend.  It was three cards different from the list that I actually played, all sideboard cards.

I'm going to do a quick recap, please forgive me for the brevity.  

Game one was interesting.  We had advanced to a board state where I felt as though I had control.  I had a Smokestack at 2, a Smokestack at 1 to go with a Sphere effect, one Wasteland on board (with another in hand) and a Shop.  On my upkeep I was forced to decide what I wanted to do.  Nick had three Moxen, a Dark Confidant, a Swamp and two Underground Seas.  I was concerned about my board, that if I ramped my Stack to three that I would potentially Smoke myself out.  I envisioned a board state with a Smokestack on one, a Sphere of Resistance and a Workshop on my end of the board.  If I ramped my Smokestack I'd potentially be unable to achieve this (if I drew a land or a Karn.)  I ended up not ramping my Smokestack, keeping one at one and one at two.  I drew a Chalice of the Void for my turn.  I chose to play the Chalice of the Void at two, potentially protecting myself from Hurkyl's Recall, yet making myself vulnerable to Necromancy.  I had a one turn window with the Stacks where if he didn't hit what he needed, I'd be able to establish total board control.  Sadly, Nick had the Necromancy and we moved to our sideboards.

The awkward thing about the Minus Six match is that there aren't many cards that you KNOW that you want in your deck.  I knew that I wanted my Ratchet Bombs for games on the draw, but I also knew that I wanted the pressure of a true MUD build on the play.  I elected to play it straight up.

I mulled unkeepable hands of seven and six before I settled on a hand of five: Smokestack, Lodestone Golem, Mox Sapphire, Mishra's Workshop, Ghost Quarter.  I played the Lodestone and he resolved.  I was Duressed on Nick's turn off the back of a Snow Covered Island and a Mox Jet.  I was surprised that he had kept Duress in.  On the following turn I laid the Mishra's Factory that I drew, attacked and passed.  Nick drew, laid a land and passed.  I drew Tangle Wire, attacked, cast the Wire, which he Force'd.  I passed.  Nick laid yet another land (he had been playing basics this whole time) and passed.  I drew, moved to attack, activated my Factory and swung in with both.  Nick Echoing Truth'd the Lodestone and took two, moving to four life.  We passed back and forth a few more times, with me drawing a Crucible (to use a Ghost Quarter on a basic Swamp) before the Factory hit him for lethal.

Game three was close, but I'm not going to recap it immediately.  I was told that the game was recorded.  As things stand, we are currently working to put the game up on YouTube for anyone who would be interested in watching it.

As things stand now we're waiting on Mark Hornung and Joe Brown to report, though that should be up soon.

The second round will feature Rich Shay vs. the winner of Mark/Joe and Paul Mastriano vs. me.  

Info on dates/times for the matches will be posted soon.

"I値l break my staff,
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Meddling Mike
Master of Divination
Administrator
Basic User

Not Chris Pikula

micker01 Micker1985 micker1985
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 11:37:57 pm »

I was told that the game was recorded.  As things stand, we are currently working to put the game up on YouTube for anyone who would be interested in watching it.

Game 3
I apologize for the lack of commentary and the pointless sound. I was watching the World Series in the background during this match and wasn't aware that my mic was recording.

It took quite a while to actually upload just this one game to Youtube, it's a problem I've been hitting with recording/posting games.

Meddling Mike posts so loudly that nobody can get a post in edgewise.

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 07:00:56 am »

I was told that the game was recorded.  As things stand, we are currently working to put the game up on YouTube for anyone who would be interested in watching it.

Game 3
I apologize for the lack of commentary and the pointless sound. I was watching the World Series in the background during this match and wasn't aware that my mic was recording.

It took quite a while to actually upload just this one game to Youtube, it's a problem I've been hitting with recording/posting games.

Thanks Mike.  We should talk, I'd love to do this for the top four matches.

"I値l break my staff,
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 09:40:06 am »

I played East Coast Wins, only about 2 card differences from the version I played at Worlds:

Mana
1 Black Lotus
1 Sol Ring
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Pearl
2 Island
1 Flooded Strand
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Volcanic Island
2 Underground Sea
1 Misty Rainforest
2 Tropical Island
1 Polluted Delta

spells
1 Gifts Ungiven
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Time Walk
1 Brainstorm
4 Force of Will
3 Mana Drain
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Time Vault
1 Voltaic Key
1 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Mystical Tutor
3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 Gush
1 Fastbond
1 Nature's Claim
1 Imperial Seal
3 Mental Misstep
2 Preordain
1 Ponder
1 Blightsteel Colossus
1 Tinker
1 Sensei's Divining Top

SB: 4 Leyline of the Void
SB: 2 Ancient Grudge
SB: 1 Nature's Claim
SB: 2 Ingot Chewer
SB: 1 Mountain
SB: 1 Lightning Bolt
SB: 2 Pithing Needle
SB: 2 Red Elemental Blast

You can read Rich's report for a turn by turn description of the game.  On my turn 1 (of game 1), my hand was Time Vault, Preordain, Imperial Seal, Mox Emerald, Mana Drain, Force of Will, Gush, Scalding Tarn.  I had here the options of 1. play Preordain to dig for a second land, 2. play Imperial Seal for Ancestral Recall, or 3. play Imperial Seal for Fastbond.  I decided to Imperial Seal for Fastbond because it would help most at putting a Jace into play and I had the Mox Emerald.  On my next turn (after I FoWed Jace pitching Drain) I drew Fastbond, Preordained into a fetchland and kept my 2nd Gush on top.  On my next turn I resolved Jace.

I sideboarded -1 Mox Pearl, -1 Island,  +2 Red Elemental Blast

I feel like I was capable of winning the second game but blew it with another tough Imperial Seal decision.  When I cast Imperial Seal I had in my hand Gifts, Tinker, Jace, Gush, and some other irrelevant cards.  I thought for a minute about putting Red Elemental Blast on top in case of a Jace but decided to make the more aggressive play by putting Black Lotus on top and passing the turn.  Next turn he resolved Jace and fatesealed me.

Game 3 I mulliganed absolute shit (6 lands and a Vampiric) to get an absolutely shittier six card (1 mana) hand.

Join the Vintage League!
Slayn001
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 11:09:38 pm »

I beat Mark 2-1.

So its no secret that i have been having a terrible run at magic for quite some time now. No matter what i play my opponents either open with unbeatable hands, or i have to grind out a long and frustrating win. Storm hasn't done well for me, fish is mediocre, Faeries is too fair for the current meta-game and Dragon just doesn't seem to get it done for me. That left me with the choice to play dredge, shops, painter, or vintage control, all decks that i have had varying levels of success with. When i saw the players in this event, i assumed that Mark would be on dredge, Rich would be on his vintage champs list , Nick Coss would be on dragon, Nick Detwiler would be on shops, Shawn Anthony would be on ECW, Paul would be on some version of blue control with gushes and Matt Elias would be a wildcard.

With just theorycrafting to go on as i have almost no opportunity for playtesting, i decided to play my painter list from Gencon as i feel it has a solid matchup vs the blue decks, ( Rich, Paul, Shawn, Nick C. ) and reasonable matchups against Dredge and Shops. I changed the sideboard slightly to make the dredge hate more solid as i feel the combination of jailers with leylines is just better than running some number of spellbombs, needles and ees, but the tradeoff is that ee and needle could be brought in against other decks as well as dredge, and spellbomb has utility against dragon, where as jailer is pretty much dredge only. One other factor that led to the decision to play painter (and focus the board more towards dredge) was that i did not expect to see landstill, as painter is a huge dog to it, and removing ee and needle only makes the problem worse.

In hindsight, seeing what everyone else is playing makes my board decisions pretty terrible. Not only is there no dredge in the event, there is a landstill deck, and 2 non dredge graveyard based decks.

On to the List.

Bishops Painter

4 x Force of Will
3 x Mindbreak Trap
2 x Mana Drain
2 x Red Elemental Blast
2 x Pyroblast
1 x Hurkyl's Recall

3 x Mystic Remora
1 x Ancestral Recall
1 x Brainstorm
1 x Time Walk
1 x Gush
1 x Thirst for Knowledge
1 x Timetwister

1 x Demonic Tutor
1 x Vampiric Tutor
1 x Mystical Tutor
1 x Merchant Scroll

2 x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 x Blightsteel Colossus
1 x Tinker
1 x Yawgmoth's Will
3 x Painter's Servant
2 x Grindstone
1 x Vendilion Clique

1 x Tolarian Academy
1 x Strip Mine
1 x Mountain
3 x Island
2 x Underground Sea
2 x Volcanic Island
4 x Scalding Tarn
1 x Flooded Strand
1 x Misty Rainforest
1 x Black Lotus
1 x Sol Ring
1 x Mana Crypt
1 x Mox Emerald
1 x Mox Sapphire
1 x Mox Jet
1 x Mox Ruby

Sideboard

4 x Leyline of the Void
4 x Ingot Chewer
3 x Yixlid Jailer
2 x Lightning Bolt
1 x Hurky's Recall
1 x Misdirection

Report not coming as i can't remember the games at all as i had just returned from the bar prior to our match. I remember Mark having t1 Ancestral in 2 of the 3 games and t1 welder in 2 of the 3 games as well; I remember losing to a Battlesphere in g2 one turn before i could grind him out.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:04:00 pm by Slayn001 » Logged

Team Topdeck Games.
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 06:27:17 am »

Matches for the semifinals are set:

Rich Shay vs. Joe Brown

Paul Mastriano vs. Nick Detwiler

"I値l break my staff,
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 02:25:29 pm »

My match against Paul will take place tonight, around 9pm.  I'll post the name of the room on Cockatrice later tonight, when I set it, in case anyone is interested in watching the match.  A quick recap of the match will follow shortly thereafter.

"I値l break my staff,
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Onslaught
Full Members
Basic User

this is me reading your posts

SmoothCriminalRW
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 05:31:57 pm »

Ack, I didn't notice this thread pinned at the top of the forum until just now. This is great! I've always hoped that some of the heavyweights would start playing more often on Cockatrice, so any kind of high level online play is interesting to see/read about.
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 07:14:30 pm »

The room is currently up on Cockatrice "Prospero vs. Mr. Type 4" - if you're interested in watching the match, tune back in at 9.

EDIT: Technical difficulties means that the room is back up and open to spectators again.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 07:57:26 pm by Prospero » Logged

"I値l break my staff,
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Slayn001
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 09:27:37 pm »

I beat Rich 2-0, i actually took notes this time due to not being drunk so i will have a report coming, and Rich is going to put a report up as well

Team Topdeck Games.
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 09:33:18 pm »

TMD Invitational I
Round 2 vs Joe Brown

Game 1:
I win the roll and keep Jace, Twister, Gush, Jet, Vamp, Fetch, Demonic. I play Jet, Fetch a Trop, and Demonic Tutor. I grab Lotus and go for Timetwister. It resolves. I hit Sapphire, Ancestral, Force, and four land. Mox into Ancestral it is. Mindbreak Trap!
His Ancestral, however, does resolve. I have an Emerald and a Sea on my turn, passing with Force open. Joe makes his second land drop and passes. I play my six mana source and pass, holding Regrowth, Force, and two land to Joe's full hand. When he passes again, I go to 7 mana sources and cast Regrowth on Twister with Force open. I then pass.  At this point, I'm thinking that I should have cast my Ancestral on Joe's upkeep, to turn off his Trap.
With 3 mana open, Joe plays a Grindstone, and I do nothing to stop it. On my turn, I Preordain, seeing Will and Fastbond. I think for a bit. I decide that, if I have the Will in hand, I won't lose to being Ground out. So, I take Will to hand, leaving Fastbond on top.
I cast Timetwister, with Force and Yawgmoth in hand, to Joe's six cards. I get a Hurkyl's in response. Not the worst. I float, and return several hundred dollars worth of artifacts to my hand. Then Twister happens. I draw into Ruby, Pearl, Scroll, Preordain, Jace, Emerald, and Mystical.  I have the ability to go for a Tendrils for lethal, but that walks into Mindbreak Trap. Or, I could try to accumulate value, but let Joe have a turn for sure. I drop three Moxen, going to seven Storm. I decide to go for it. I Merchant Scroll, getting Force. I then Mystical, getting Tendrils. I then cast Preordain, going to nine storm. Tendrils goes on the stack. I force a Mindbreak Trap.  Joe has the second counter in his seven!
Joe asks me if I concede, but I decide to fight on with my Robot and my one remaining non-exiled Jace. It's not like we're timed. Joe, too, has some Moxen in his new hand. In my draw step, Clique runs into the Drain I left on top. Joe now has one card to my zero, and Grinds away Time Walk and Duress. I draw Mental Misstep and pass. Grindstone eats Gush and Sapphire. Another Mental Misstep for me; Force, Hurkyl's, land, and an almost-Blightsteel for my graveyard. I Misstep a second Grind Stone, and draw a Jet. Brainstorm and Fetchland hit my graveyard.  Fastbond is my next draw, but Joe has Thirst for Knowledge. To top it off, Yawgmoth's Will and Gush jump into my graveyard.
Then I draw Tinker. Joe has three in hand, and has resolved Thirst. But I'm not looking any better as this progresses. Tinker it is. I Misstep his REB, but he has a Mindbreak Trap. Again, the double counter. Misstep, Jace, Force, and Island jump in the yard. This is looking grim. I play a land on my next turn, and watch Drain and Demonic fall into the yard. Joe casts Gush on his next turn, then ends the game with a Painter.

Game 2:
Boarding:
- 1 Mox Pearl
- 2 Hurkyl
+ 1 Nihil Spellbomb
+ 2 Flusterstorm
- 1 Vampiric Tutor
-1 Mystical Tutor
+ 2 Oxidize

My thinking for sideboarding is that the card-disadvantage tutors are normally not amazing against blue, and much worse when Grindstone is a factor. I keep a hand with Demonic, Gush, 2 land, Scroll, Drain, and Force. I lead with land, go. Joe leads with Grindstone, which I don't contest. I pass my second turn with Drain open. I Drain Joe's Sol Ring on his turn. I then Force his Remora. So, my hand is now Demonic, Gush, and Scroll. I draw Yawgmoth's Will. Well, for the third time in this match, it's time to try going off. Demonic for Fastbond. Cast it. It resolves! I Gush. Trapped. Merchant Scroll for Gush. Cast Gush. But no third mana for YawgWill. I have to pass again. Joe plays a terrifying Strip Mine and Timewalks. I Misstep his Remora. His Ruby resolves, and he has one card in hand. He Strips my Sea, which is unfortunate since I want this Yawgmoth's Will to happen someday. I draw a Mental Misstep, and Clique happens to me. I show Joe my Misstep, Jace, and Will. Will to the bottom. I cast the preordain that replaced it. Drain and Duress hit the graveyard, and I hit my second land. Clique hits me, and I'm thinking how great a Gush would be to draw. Then I draw Gush! I float two blue, and Gush. Joe Drains it, but then Jace arrives. That Clique sure is awkward, of course.
I suppose any of the three options are viable. If I bounce Clique, he'll return next turn and eat my best card. If I Brainstorm, he dies next turn. So, I decide to Fateseal Joe. That way, I can Brainstorm next turn with all my mana open -- both of them. And of course, Joe has Jace on top, with three mana in play. This is where my being tired after a long day of being a grad student starts to catch up with me. I've had a day full of meetings. And I completely forget that Joe has resolved a Mana Drain this turn. Yeah, I should have bottomed that Jace, but I forgot about Drain mana. That was a terrible misplay on my part. I leave it on top, thinking he can't cast it. Of course, it ends up killing my own Jace.

Now, with no gas, I'm being hit by a Clique and Ground each turn. I draw into Gush, but draw into nothing. At least I know that my misplay wouldn't have mattered quite as much, as I have no gas whatsover anywhere near the top of my deck. I draw Nihil Spellbomb for the Cycling. Right into a counter. Grindstone continues eating my library. Joe has Mana Crypt, and knocks me right down to three. I draw land, and that's the game.

And that's the match. It was a great match, and Joe played very well. My own deck mana-flooded me in games one and two. I think it may be time to examine my land count.  Several times during our match, I was able to put Joe in a position to lose unless he had two counters. Each time, he did. That speaks very well for his deck. Clique was especially impressive, since it hit Yawgmoth's Will and beat me to death in game two. Just like in Legacy, Clique and Jace are extremely powerful cards in the blue mirror. And, this makes me very glad that actual Magic tournaments don't happen at 10:00pm on weekdays!

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 09:49:14 pm »

I beat Paul, on Potucek's Landstill deck, 2-1.

A quick recap:

In game one, I kept a semi-sketchy opener.  My hand had a fair amount of mana (Workshop and Lotus), but it didn't have much pressure (Chalice, Metamorph, Metamorph, Wasteland, Mishra's Factory.)  I played a turn one Chalice 1, then Metamorph'd it and had a Chalice 0 as well.  Paul traded countermagic for my threats, all while he remained semi mana screwed.  Eventually Paul hits his third land and drops Crucible of Worlds a turn or two after I had played Chalice of the Void for 2.  I had the last Metamorph in my hand, copy his Crucible of Worlds and manage to hold him down on his mana with a Strip Mine in yard as a Lodestone Golem beat him down.

In game two I got murdered by card advantage.  I kept an opener that had a fair amount of gas, but desperately needed a Crucible to keep the Shop in my hand around on the board.  Two countered Crucibles and three Standstills later, Paul resolves a Jace.  I put up the best fight that I can, eventually hitting a Mishra's Factory to stall the game, but Paul has his own Factory a few turns later, followed by a pair of Ingot Chewers for my Lodestone and Smokestack.  I scoop it up and move to game three.

In game three I see an opener of Mishra's Workshop, Mox Jet, Lodestone Golem, Ancient Tomb, Wasteland, Sphere of Resistance and Tangle Wire.  I keep and Paul mulligans to six.  If Paul has a counter for the turn one Lodestone the game could become very ugly.  Additionally, if Paul was able to drop a Mox and a land to evoke an Ingot Chewer, I also had some problems.  If not, he's in a world of hurt.  Paul doesn't have the Force.  I draw a Metamorph off the top, copy my Lodestone on the next turn and play a Tangle Wire.  The game is over in short order.

Now it's on to the finals, which will be played next week, as my Espresso list fights Joe Brown's Bishop's Painter list.  

"I値l break my staff,
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

ed0
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 07:43:20 am »

due to the room going down before the match i only managed to record game 2 and 3 of Nick vs. Paul, and even that only in 4:3 and with some non-standard card images.
if despite this there is still interest in me uploading those games, and both players approve of it i can do so.
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 08:09:58 am »

due to the room going down before the match i only managed to record game 2 and 3 of Nick vs. Paul, and even that only in 4:3 and with some non-standard card images.
if despite this there is still interest in me uploading those games, and both players approve of it i can do so.

By all means, if you have the games, put them up. 

"I値l break my staff,
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

ed0
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 01:25:45 pm »

youtube sucks - managed to make it somewhat HQ by pillarboxing the video to 16:9:

Paul Mastriano (Landstill) vs. Nick Detwiler (Stax) Semifinal

game 2 of 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YQdTRvoerU

game 3 of 3 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuHG58bVIoU
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:07:08 pm by ed0 » Logged
Meddling Mike
Master of Divination
Administrator
Basic User

Not Chris Pikula

micker01 Micker1985 micker1985
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2011, 09:38:07 am »

That Game 2 was pretty epic, it's rare to see somebody that far back on cards still in the fight. It's interesting to see how shops plays under standstill, for most decks you wait until they have a full grip and pop it on their end step unless they have a compelling threat on the board, but espresso Stax has no instants for popping it, bit because of the wastes, strip, ghost quarters and factories you can sort of beat them at their own game with the right cards.

Meddling Mike posts so loudly that nobody can get a post in edgewise.

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Stormanimagus
Basic User

maestrosmith55
View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 12:19:26 pm »

That Game 2 was pretty epic, it's rare to see somebody that far back on cards still in the fight. It's interesting to see how shops plays under standstill, for most decks you wait until they have a full grip and pop it on their end step unless they have a compelling threat on the board, but espresso Stax has no instants for popping it, bit because of the wastes, strip, ghost quarters and factories you can sort of beat them at their own game with the right cards.

Yeah, about game 2. Paul, why did you NOT waste his Shop on turn 2 after countering Crucible? It was pretty clear that he had 0 artifact mana in hand (otherwise he would have played it on his turn 1) and if you had done that you would not have seen a Crucible coming at you the following turn and you could have saved your FoW's for other things later. You'd still get your Standstill online the following turn. Were you really worried about him like dropping another shop after your waste and you not being able to counter something?

-Storm
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 01:37:57 pm by Stormanimagus » Logged

"To light a candle is to cast a shadow. . ."

誘rsula K. Leguin
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 04:49:21 pm »

The finals of the first TMD Online Invitational will be played tonight, at 9pm, on Cockatrice as I take on Joe Brown.

If anyone would like to record the match and then post the videos, please feel free to.

The name of the room will be Prospero vs. Slayn001.

At some point in the near future an announcement will be made for the structure for a potential future Online Invitational.  With the second event I'd like to get the community involved.

"I値l break my staff,
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 08:42:23 pm »

And the room is up.  Results will be posted as soon as the event is over.

"I値l break my staff,
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 09:47:27 pm »

And Joe Brown gets me!

In game one I kept an opener of:

Mishra's Workshop
Thorn of Amethyst
Wasteland
Wasteland
Sapphire
Emerald
Pearl

The hand doesn't have a true piece of pressure, but if Joe has a hand that involves a non-basic or two, I'm in very good shape.  I relied on drawing pressure off the top, sadly I didn't.

Game two I kept an opener of:

Ancient Tomb
Ancient Tomb
Chalice of the Void
Ruby
Trinisphere
Mishra's Factory
Sphere of Resistance

Once again, not a great hand, but it's not bad.  One piece of pressure off the top and I'm likely able to seal the deal.  Sadly the deck fed me lands, Joe was able to bounce me, drop a Grindstone and Time Walk into the Painter.

Congrats to Joe!

More info will come later regarding the second Online Invitational...

"I値l break my staff,
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: