TheManaDrain.com
December 10, 2019, 03:29:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Taigam's Scheming  (Read 3799 times)
TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« on: September 15, 2014, 04:37:32 pm »

Taigam's Scheming
1 U
Sorcery
Look at the top five cards of your library. Put any number of them into your graveyard and the rest back on top of your library in any order.

I think this is something that's been overlooked.  I know for a while careful planning was a $100 card when people used it in slaver lists.  With Dack making slaver decks plausible again, does this card not also help immensely in this strategy?  I think it could also be good in anything U.  Late game, chuck those extra lands to get the meaty spells.  Early game, dig for those bombs or land drops you really need instead of your 3rd FoW.  Fuel a Yawg will?  Definitely works well with delve and snapcaster.

Thoughts?

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
evouga
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 04:45:30 pm »

Even setting aside the card disadvantage, the Sorcery speed is hard to swallow. Do you really want to tap out early game to play this spell?
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 05:10:43 pm »

Digging five deep is nice, but Impulse digs almost as deep and puts it into your hand.  I think there's a 2U instant with flashback from Innistrad that does this sort of thing, too.  Not sure that 1U really breaks new ground.  Maybe mono-blue dredge of some kind..?
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 05:16:42 pm »

This is unplayable garbage.

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 09:45:33 pm »

The sorcery speed isn't great, admittedly.  5 deep is nice, and yes it doesn't have the card parity of impulse, but it lets you basically "scry 5" with the bonus of being able to bin things for tricks.  Impulse gives you one out of 4 where you could possibly be burying two other bombs.  This lets you put any good cards on top in the order you want and bury anything you want to welder in.  I think if strategic planning was playable, then this is just as good if not better since you get to decide the fate of ALL the cards you see.  And yeah, tapping out on turn 2 (or 1 with a mox) is not the worst thing in the world.  Sometimes you have FoW and not drain.  You could also run dazes, missteps, etc in a deck that is trying to get tricky with welders.

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
ben_berry
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 10:12:02 pm »

Given fetch lands are a thing this is worse than Index
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 10:15:09 pm »

Index doesn't dodge mental misstep or chalice at 1 though.
Saya
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 10:58:09 pm »

Even the Strategic Planning are not adopted in recent Mindslavers
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 11:05:05 pm »

White Dragon, I can't even tell if you actually think this card is good, or if you're trolling about an obviously unplayable card.

AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

Exile Ancestral and turn Tiago sideways.

ambivalentduck ambivalentduck ambivalentduck
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 08:25:55 am »

I know for a while careful planning was a $100 card when people used it in slaver lists.
P3K had such a limited print run that prices are extremely distorted. See: Ravages of War vs Armageddon. There's something like a 1000x difference in price right now.

A link to the GitHub project where I store all of my Cockatrice decks.
Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
Greg
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 11:09:34 am »

White Dragon, I can't even tell if you actually think this card is good, or if you're trolling about an obviously unplayable card.

This.
TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 09:51:37 pm »

So, if you run welders and other grave recurring shenanigans and want to get the best of your top 5 and NEVER draw into chaff you won't need, index is better?  If you have shufflers, then maybe that second point is taken away, but what if you have land/mox and want to get your welder combos going?  If you don't find a fetch in your top 5 cards, you are stuck drawing the 4 lands and 1 good card you might see in your top 5.  With this card, you draw the 1 good card, bin the 4 lands, and start drawing into value 4 turns sooner.

I see this card as having value in the right build - and yes, you might have to *gasp* build around it a bit.  Sticking this in jace control and asking it why it's not ancestral recall #2 won't work.  It's clearly better than Index.  Binning cards has the dual purpose of removing bad draws when you don't have shufflers, and filing your grave for tricks.  That's not worthless.  Even with a card like Index - think later game when the counter war has depleted both sides.  Yes, Index gets you a good card in the top 5...but then you have to waste a draw drawing a fetch to shuffle away the other 3 cards you didn't want.  With this, you just remove the 4 iffy cards, take the one good one, and draw into unseen afterwards.  With all the delve stuff, this could also fuel some plays.  Tarmogoyf wouldn't mind this card either.

I am actually not trolling on this, though I do troll a ton.  I actually see value in it.  Yes, for 1U sorcery, this should be timewalk level power, but we won't see that again.  This is a nice tool for a welder/tarm/something deck that runs blue.

The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 10:19:37 pm »

Index is better than this card. An inexperienced opponent might Mental Misstep your Index, in which case your spell has managed to one-for-one. That's more than you can hope for from this card.

Eastman
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 10:39:49 pm »

For dumping cards in the yard for welder or grave recurring shenanigans, entomb and intuition are better in so many ways. For card draw, this obviously stinks.  So yah, I vote trolling.
Demagoguery
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 02:35:14 am »

While I don't think it's particularly good, it does do something different by allowing you to filter draws and fuel your graveyard.

I mean, after all: http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=44266.0
Meddling Mike
Master of Divination
Administrator
Basic User

Not Chris Pikula

micker01 Micker1985 micker1985
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 08:01:23 am »

Index is better than this card. An inexperienced opponent might Mental Misstep your Index, in which case your spell has managed to one-for-one. That's more than you can hope for from this card.

While I don't think it's particularly good, it does do something different by allowing you to filter draws and fuel your graveyard.

I mean, after all: http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=44266.0

If you're going to play the old "hey people said this card was unplayable, but it wasn't!" card, could you at least stick to cards that see more than fringe play? Jace the Mind Sculptor is a nice default for that. Staff of Nin has hardly taken Vintage by storm.

Meddling Mike posts so loudly that nobody can get a post in edgewise.

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Bill Copes
Adepts
Basic User

I don't have an avatar. I am an avatar.

zebraturbosled
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 08:28:32 am »

If you're going to play the old "hey people said this card was unplayable, but it wasn't!" card, could you at least stick to cards that see more than fringe play? Jace the Mind Sculptor is a nice default for that. Staff of Nin has hardly taken Vintage by storm.

Morphling would  like to have a word with you:

http://morphling.de/search.php?type=3&app=40&sorting=DESC&search=Staff+of+Nin&sent=1

I'm the only other legal target, so I draw 6 cards, and he literally quits Magic. 

Terrorists searching in vain for these powerful weapons have the saying "Bill Copes spitteth, and he taketh away."

Team TMD
Meddling Mike
Master of Divination
Administrator
Basic User

Not Chris Pikula

micker01 Micker1985 micker1985
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 08:46:09 am »

http://morphling.de/search.php?type=3&app=40&sorting=DESC&search=Staff+of+Nin&sent=1

I actually looked at that before I wrote what I did. Showing up in a top 8 once a month as a 1 or a 2 of fits my definition of fringe play.

Meddling Mike posts so loudly that nobody can get a post in edgewise.

Bill Copes
Adepts
Basic User

I don't have an avatar. I am an avatar.

zebraturbosled
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 09:14:42 am »

I actually looked at that before I wrote what I did. Showing up in a top 8 once a month as a 1 or a 2 of fits my definition of fringe play.

Well, I suppose my fringe is just thinner than yours Razz

I'm the only other legal target, so I draw 6 cards, and he literally quits Magic. 

Terrorists searching in vain for these powerful weapons have the saying "Bill Copes spitteth, and he taketh away."

Team TMD
Demagoguery
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 10:03:58 am »

I just went to a random page and opened the first thread about a card that I assumed people wouldn't like but could see some play.

Also, if I had said Jace I'd have people go "lawls, this is no Jace I can't believe you've made that comparison!" so it makes sense to use an example of a fringe card for another potentially fringe card.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: