TheManaDrain.com
August 18, 2019, 06:39:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Magic Online Power Nine Owners  (Read 42402 times)
hashswag
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2014, 11:09:21 am »

I would. I haven't played online for ages now, but if I wasn't able to, it'd drive me crazy.
Arianeira
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2014, 11:45:49 pm »

Totally would buy in again.   Being able to play vintage when ever you want while at home instead of once a month after a long drive is awesome.
Klep
OMG I'M KLEP!
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2014, 10:40:33 am »

I would buy in again, but only because I have a relatively high amount of disposable income and am willing to wait a while for them to make MTGO a program that doesn't suck.

So I suppose I should take The Fringe back out of my sig now...
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2014, 12:18:45 pm »

I would buy in again, but only because I have a relatively high amount of disposable income and am willing to wait a while for them to make MTGO a program that doesn't suck.

As someone who has been playing since version 2...don't hold your breath.  Sad

"Why are we making bad decks? I mean, honestly, what is our reason for doing this?"

"Is this a Vintage deck or a Cube deck?" "Is it sad that you have to ask?"

"Is that a draft deck?" "Why do people keep asking that?"

Random conversations...
thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2014, 04:18:42 pm »

Totally would buy in again.   Being able to play vintage when ever you want while at home instead of once a month after a long drive is awesome.

This is a major part of it to me.

My wife asked why I was spending hundreds of dollars on cards I already own. My response was that I'm not spending the money on the cards as much as I'm spending money on the ability to play vintage more than once every few months and magic more than once every other week.

If you have a magic itch that needs scratching and you can afford the buy in, I'd say it's worth it from that perspective. I've gone from playing an average of maybe five matches of Magic a week to playing two or three before work and up to five after work. I'm already seeing the return I wanted on my investment.

Instead of tearing things down we should calmly explain our opinions.
worstbandnameever
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2014, 06:01:55 pm »

I agree.  I grab games when I'm home.  I can hang out with my girlfriend watching TV and playing vintage as well.
fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2014, 06:35:11 pm »

Am I the only one that has little issues with v4? I mean, the ONLY thing that annoys me is that sometimes it gets slow to load the pictures and to pass priority to me. And that's an issue people told me is the most likely to get better with time. Right?
evouga
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2014, 09:40:29 pm »

You've never had the issue where you submit your sideboard between games and it never takes you into the next game (you have to notice what's happening, quit MTGO, start it up again, and hope your clock hasn't run down in the meantime)?

You've never had the issue where you whole deck suddenly becomes invalidated because you "don't have the cards in your collection" (even though you do) and you have to rebuild the deck (with the same cards) from scratch?

You've never had trouble seeing the cards in someone's graveyard? Or exile zone?
fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2014, 07:46:21 am »

No... But I'm not someone who plays everyday so maybe I'm not a reliable source. Those bugs seem really annoying.
hashswag
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2014, 08:17:28 am »

I find it interesting how some people get mtgo and end up playing more (like thecrav) and some people end up playing less (like myself, since I no longer feel the need to prepare for and attend every monthly vintage event or risk missing out on the limited opportunities to play vintage).
H
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2014, 10:32:29 am »

I figured I would post this here, everyone who has played MTGO should take the new survey Wizards has put out about your experience: Link to Survey.

It was in yesterday's MTGO Blog.

"The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
—Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order
Methuselahn
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2014, 08:30:52 am »

I would love to buy into Vintage online for the first time.  Fortunately, I have standards.

It's my opinion that WotC has made some terrible decisions in the past and now we have a tremendously successful company that puts out a game string of code that performs like it's in the early stages of beta testing.

Considering how much revenue WoTC has and the amount coming in from purchased online cards you'd think that they could present a polished product in a finished state.  I've participated in several alpha versions of PC games (from companies with little more than 2m dollars) that felt more refined.

I thank my friend often for giving me a tour of the program and letting me play around with Magic Online on his PC.  Then I thank him for owning a bar so that I can drink away the thoughts and memories that still linger from that nonsense.
John Cox
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2014, 05:20:30 pm »

I thank my friend often for giving me a tour of the program and letting me play around with Magic Online on his PC.  Then I thank him for owning a bar so that I can drink away the thoughts and memories that still linger from that nonsense.

Your friend is a smart businessman.

jcb193
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2014, 04:57:46 pm »

What's the current buy in cost from scratch? I personally would love to play vintage at anytime, and I am sure using an interface would tighten up my skills much more than the typical casual vintage tourney.

However, I take great umbrage with their rollout!! Why not have a starting package (say $100) that includes the power nine. Almost every single deck in vintage needs the same 10-15 cards just to be built.  Give us a taste. Get us started and re-addicted. Most of us scrounged just to get real power nine, so the thought of dropping another $1500 just to get started seems like a tough pill to swallow. 

If I could be up and running for a few hundred bucks, I would have no problem dropping a few hundred more over time to diversify my collection, but dropping $1500 just to be able to play my first game seems ridiculous. If prices stay the same, seems like it will be DOA.
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2014, 05:03:37 pm »

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/prices/online/vintage

Prices are tanking across the board which makes it a better time to buy in. I'm hoping Eternal Weekend leads to an improvement online but not really expecting that.

"Why are we making bad decks? I mean, honestly, what is our reason for doing this?"

Random conversations...
Coopes
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2014, 05:44:17 pm »

Haven't posted in a while, but figured I'd revise my stance to " No ". As I no longer own power 9 online. Hopefully they will support it more in the future ( Razz ) but as it stands now, there are multiple reasons for my discomfort in being invested in Vintage online.

That being said, for those of you who are still trucking, I wish you the best. I have nothing against the format, it's been incredible--I just have something against how it's been handled and continues to be.
enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2014, 09:02:53 pm »

I found this article today which is a decent analysis of the cost of getting into Vintage right now on MTGO.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/buying-a-vintage-foundation-on-mtgo-the-time-is-now

From scratch to "play every deck I might want to play", It would probably be 1700-2000. Of course, narrowing the cost to one specific deck makes things much more palatable. If you are looking for the most cost effective "Blue" deck that you can buy on MTGO, it's UR Delver. RUG delver in particular is under $1000:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/vintage#online

I was actually surprised by that list seeing that Workshop, Wastelands and all, is not much more than UR Delver.
jcb193
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2014, 09:19:46 pm »

So what are the reprint policies on MTGO?  They keep talking about how Vintage cards will never go down in the article, but then show graph after graph of Vintage cards going down in price??
diophan
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2014, 09:58:28 pm »

So what are the reprint policies on MTGO?

They can reprint whenever they want, but realistically, based upon what cards they put in MMA, I don't think they are going to be reprinting power in less than 3 years, and even that is probably on the short end. It's conceivable they could have a VMA flashback draft, since they had one with MMA, but the number of packs opened will be so small that it's not going to do much of anything to the price of super mythics.

If you're not sure you want to invest in power and are willing to sit on some cards, I'd at least pick up all the duals you'll ever need and a playset of workshops and bazaars. If you're interested in playing shops, I would at least pick up the rares in VMA now, such as sphere of resistance.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:01:36 pm by diophan » Logged
enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2014, 10:20:58 pm »

The more I've thought about it, the more I'm convinced that there will never be a "VMA 2". Think about it... ALL of the relevant cards in Vintage have already been printed. So, what purpose would "VMA 2" have? I can't imagine that it would be remotely possible to use the same card pool and create a better limited environment, so VMA 2 would be obsolete on arrival. That said, there is no reprint policy on MTGO. There was a thinly veiled "promise" from Worth Wolpert in 2007 (2008?) to not reprint Force of Will in "another Masters Edition product", but that was about the only such reprint policy made... and it was basically broken despite the technicalities of VMA not being a "Masters Edition product". Heck, even promos are not exclusive on MTGO as they straight up offered the same Force of Will promo 2 years in a row, and then turned around 4 months later and used the same art in VMA.

If they want to pump more Power into the system, for whatever reason that may be, they really have only 2 options. Either they offer a re-release of VMA for a limited amount of time (which I fully expect that they do from time to time, just like they did with MMA, but also which has barely any affect on aftermarket prices), or they will issue them as a promo. Now, some have speculated (maybe yearned is a more appropriate term) for either original frame and/or original art Power cards as promos. I'm not privy to any restrictions that WotC has to use the Power 9 original art on MTGO, but I believe that there are some significant hurdles financially for that to happen... at which point you can bet that WotC won't pay to have access to that art in order to give out "free" promos.

On the otherhand, I can easily see them making a LMA (Legacy Masters Edition) since there are a ton of Legacy cards that need a reprint: Misdirection, Show and Tell, Sneak Attack, Rishadan Port, Karakas, Candelabra of Tawnos, and tons more. I would expect that such a product, if it is to be made, would be a summer 2016 release. That timeline basically guarantees no VMA 2 until 2017 at the earliest.
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2014, 10:53:40 pm »

So what are the reprint policies on MTGO?

There is no policy whatsoever. Wizards could decide tomorrow morning to add a set of the Power Nine to every single MODO account.

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
jcb193
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2014, 10:19:27 am »

Great thread. Thinking about getting into online magic.

1.). Is it better to buy in, or try to buy someone exiting the games collection?
2.) can you trade or lend cards to friends?
3.) is it good for goldfish testing?
4.) can friends share accounts?
5.) I'll probably buy in for everything but wastelands (buying duals, power nine, etc). They seem like they have to be reoffered soon.  Is there a workaround for wastelands with casual people?  Like people letting you run five strip mines, or substitute, etc?
6.). What are the best cards to buy now...and what's worth waiting for?

See some of you online guys soon.....
enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2014, 11:05:15 am »

1.). Is it better to buy in, or try to buy someone exiting the games collection?

If you want a one-shot effortless way to buy in, go to MTGOtraders.com and buy everything from them at once. Use promocode "cqpaypal" (adssuming you pay with paypal) and you'll get 8% off your entire order. Note, you'll need an MTGO account first, which you can get here:

https://accounts.onlinegaming.wizards.com/AccountSignUp.aspx\

Yes, but do it with someone you trust, or get equal collateral in return. You can trade with anyone, and if you use the import feature during trades, it's quick and effortless.

MTGO is actually quite awesome for goldfishing. All you need to do is go to any practice room, and select a 1 player match.

The short answer is yes it is possible to do this, but it is against the TOS.

5.) I'll probably buy in for everything but wastelands (buying duals, power nine, etc). They seem like they have to be reoffered soon.  Is there a workaround for wastelands with casual people?  Like people letting you run five strip mines, or substitute, etc?

Unfortunately, there is no way to do that. All matches have to abide by the rules of the format. you could play whats called a "Freeform" game, but you will only be able to play against friends that way... no one is going to join a public freeform match. In theory, Ghost Quarter is a decent substitute for Wasteland. Yes, some decks play basics, but Workshop and BUG lists don't play a single basic. Delver lists play 1 or 2 total (usually both islands). It's not ideal

Anything in VMA is worth buying now. The prices dropped a lot the last couple of weeks, but are starting to rebound. I would also wait on Wastelands, as you said. Nonetheless, if you can afford Wastelands now and want to play a deck taht requires them, they aren't such a terrible proposition to buy now, even if we are guaranteed a reprint in the coming months. If awarded as a MOCS promo (the most likely scenario), the price might drop to the $40-50 range, but it would be hard pressed to drop below that. It might not even drop below 75. The demand for the card is that high.

Last year, FoW was promo'ed in Jan 2013 and the price before the announcement was slightly higher than what Wasteland is right now (~$110 IIRC). After the promo, it dropped as low as $55 and then rebounded back ABOVE the pre-promo price within 4-5 months. http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Promotional/Force+of+Will#online

Really, the only way Wasteland drops like a rock is if it's included in CMD products, where anyone can get one, plus 99 other cards, for $30. The CMD products have an unlimited supply on MTGO.
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2014, 11:12:42 am »

See some of you online guys soon.....

1) If you can find someone exiting the game and buy their collection, you will probably get a better price than if you buy the cards directly from a dealer. That said, people looking to cash out typically go to dealers as they tend to have a trustworthy reputation, paypal account, etc. MTGO does not protect those types of transactions so the reputation does matter.
2) Yes, but a similar caveat applies. I have borrowed from and lent power to people I trust explicitly but there is no protection through Wizards with this. If you cannot trust the person 100%, don't do it.
3) There is a way to draw sample hands built into the deck editor and you used to be able to play solitaire games though I haven't tried this since the client changed.
4) You can physically give your password to anyone (though I believe it violates the Terms of Agreement/Code of Conduct). Just know that you are not protected.
5) I'm not sure you can run 5 of a card, but Freeform has no restricted list. You could run 4 Strip Mines or use Ghost Quarters and if testing with a friend just ask him not to search out a basic land if you target his nonbasic. This obviously doesn't work in tournaments.
6) Anything in Vintage Masters is a good buy now. I picked up sets of the blue Duals, Power, Forces, etc. The reprinted fetches are pretty good buys though you might want to wait on Tarn and Misty. Other cards may or may not be reprinted though like you, I'm inclined to wait on Wastelands and Misdirections as I feel they will probably be injected into the system in some way in the near future. Vintage cards are generally at historical lows right now - the introduction of Khans and the lack of firing Daily Events has impacted this. That and concerns/problems with the client.

7) If you do decide to buy in, it's a good idea to join TMD clan and add me as a buddy for testing and any other questions you might have. Online name is "ChubbyRain".

Edit: I basically agree with Enderfall's answers.

Random conversations...
evouga
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2014, 01:25:17 pm »

Actually I wouldn't be surprised at all if Wasteland sees a reprint in Standard. It would be strong but not broken as part of a monocolor-focused block that follows a multicolor-focused block. It would also explain the otherwise bizarre decision to leave Wasteland out of VMA.

I have another question:

8. What's the best way to turn queue prize packs into tickets? Is there an "expected" price I should expect to get from a booster whose nominal value is four tickets?
jcb193
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2014, 01:32:06 pm »

Well, I made the plunge!  I think it's pretty awesome so far.  Wow.  Going to make me a much tighter player-
enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2014, 01:37:34 pm »

Actually I wouldn't be surprised at all if Wasteland sees a reprint in Standard. It would be strong but not broken as part of a monocolor-focused block that follows a multicolor-focused block. It would also explain the otherwise bizarre decision to leave Wasteland out of VMA.

I have another question:

8. What's the best way to turn queue prize packs into tickets? Is there an "expected" price I should expect to get from a booster whose nominal value is four tickets?

Wasteland would be just mediocre in Standard, but if it's going to be in a draftable set, it'll likely be Legacy masters, along with Port, MisD, Sneak Attack, Stifle and many more cards that desperately need a reprint for Legacy.

As for the KTK packs, hit up Goatbots chain (search "@goat"). They tend to offer the best prices for packs which you can trade up for tickets (or credit to their bot, though they only stock sets that can be redeemed, currently KTK through RTR). Just note that any fractional amounts of a tix that you have will be left for credit for future transactions... which benefits using the same bot each time you sell.
jcb193
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2014, 05:42:52 pm »

Man I wish Magic could tie MTGO into their real world product better.  It's so frustrating having TWO vintage card collections.  How cool would it be if each real life magic card had scratch off serial numbers....if you wanted to scratch it off, you could get an online version of the card, if not, you could keep your card in EXTRA MINT.  Would bring more people into MTGO, and would add another level of collectability. 
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2014, 06:00:17 pm »

Man I wish Magic could tie MTGO into their real world product better.  It's so frustrating having TWO vintage card collections.  How cool would it be if each real life magic card had scratch off serial numbers....if you wanted to scratch it off, you could get an online version of the card, if not, you could keep your card in EXTRA MINT.  Would bring more people into MTGO, and would add another level of collectability. 

This way is making them enough money   Smile

I agree with Enderfall - Goatbots is what I use. Problem is that the prices are based on supply and demand. I remember playing in the two-mans for M15 packs worth 2.5 tix (Wager $2.00 to win $0.50). The difference is buy/sell prices is normally really low (~ $0.10) so it doesn't make sense to try to sell them individually to actual people.

Random conversations...
dangerlinto
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2014, 08:35:22 pm »

Why doesn't WoTC just give away things for free?  Hmmmm...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: