TheManaDrain.com
February 15, 2019, 10:57:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Classic Art Tokens - Vintage Token Collection  (Read 3970 times)
KrauserKrauser
Adepts
Basic User

DAT ART!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 24, 2016, 06:15:09 pm »

Hey everybody, Josh here with something that I'm excited to show you all.

On February 2nd, I will be launching the Classic Art Token project on Kickstarter.  If you follow me on twitter/facebook you're probably sick of hearing about it by now, but if you are new to the project, I highly recommend checking it out:

Classic Art Token Kickstarter

One of the reward levels for the project is a collection of tokens specifically built for Vintage players.  Here is the breakdown of what tokens are in the Vintage Collection:

• 2/2 Bird x1
  • 2/2 Drake x4
  • 1/1 Elemental x6
  • 0/0 Germ x1
  • 1/1 Goblin x4
  • 3/3 Golem x2
  • 1/1 Monk x4
  • 20/20 Mr. Lage x1
  • Poison Counter x1
  • 1/1 Robot x4
  • 1/1 Spirit (not flying) x3
  • Storm Counter x1
  • 1/1 Thopter x4
  • 2/2 Wolf x2
  • 3/3 Wurm DT x1
  • 3/3 Wurm LL x1
  • 2/2 Zombie x8

I built the collection to provide a comprehensive set of tokens for anyone playing competitive Vintage.

If the project is able to hit its Stretch Goals, the Collections will increased to 54 cards.  I was planning on adding 2 Pack Rat Tokens and 3 Squid Tokens, but that still leaves one slot undecided.

Take a look at the project, join the Thunderclap if you really like it, and let me know what you think the last Stretch Goal token in the Vintage collection should be.

Share your passion for the Art of Magic the Gathering!

www.originalmagicart.com
diophan
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 06:35:53 pm »

This looks awesome and I'll donate on the kickstarter once it's live. One suggestion: can you make a cube collection?

As far as the vintage collection, is the 1/1 robot supposed to be a myr? If not battleball and genesis chamber see some play. Also if you're willing to add more pieces, a Dack ultimate would be cool.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 06:42:11 pm by diophan » Logged
KrauserKrauser
Adepts
Basic User

DAT ART!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 06:47:32 pm »

I considered making a Cube collection and a EDH / Commander set as well.  The only problem was figuring what tokens and how many to include as literally any token in any amount could be needed depending on the cube / deck.  There is an option for a Full Set which will get you one of each token as well as package deals and add ons to customize your reward as needed.

Some changes had to be made in naming the tokens for copyright purposes.  Robots are generic, Myr are WotC IP.  There may be some wiggle room if you really wanted to push it, but it wasn't worth the risk.

I definitely considered adding Emblem "tokens" but don't have one planned as of yet.

www.originalmagicart.com
Bill Copes
Adepts
Basic User

I don't have an avatar. I am an avatar.

zebraturbosled
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 09:31:52 am »

LOVE this.  Holla when it's live.

I'm the only other legal target, so I draw 6 cards, and he literally quits Magic. 

Terrorists searching in vain for these powerful weapons have the saying "Bill Copes spitteth, and he taketh away."

Team TMD
nataz
Full Members
Basic User

Mighty Mighty Maine-Tone

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 01:02:22 pm »

Very cool idea.

super curious to know how copyright works on these. My (very basic) understanding was that you could take a picture and be free and clear to make reproductions, but if you are using an image someone else created that would infringe on their work. Were you able to obtain open source/licensed copies/make your own original images, or are you banking on the source material being out of copyright?

I will write Peace on your wings
and you will fly around the world
diophan
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 04:15:28 pm »

I considered making a Cube collection and a EDH / Commander set as well.  The only problem was figuring what tokens and how many to include as literally any token in any amount could be needed depending on the cube / deck.

Fair enough. However I expect a large percentage of cubes whose owners are willing to shell out money on these tokens for are "good stuff" cubes whose token requirements are close to identical. One could look at the average cubes on cubetutor if interested: http://www.cubetutor.com/averagecubes in fact I'd propose a list if you are interested.
KrauserKrauser
Adepts
Basic User

DAT ART!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 07:46:42 pm »

Very cool idea.

super curious to know how copyright works on these. My (very basic) understanding was that you could take a picture and be free and clear to make reproductions, but if you are using an image someone else created that would infringe on their work. Were you able to obtain open source/licensed copies/make your own original images, or are you banking on the source material being out of copyright?

So, for most countries, the copyright owned by the artist expires 70 years after their death, then entering the public domain.  So if you were able to take a picture of it, or make a copy, after that date, there is no copyright preventing you from selling it etc.  Now once you start talking about using photos and digital images of artwork in the public domain, things get complicated.  In some countries, there is no copyright granted for a reproductive photograph, in some cases there are limited copyrights, some grant full. So you are correct that in some cases, in some countries, you would indeed be infringing on their photo.  I may not agree with that concept, but such is life.

For this project I ensured that each image is obtained from either a license free, attribution required or licensed (for a small fee) source.  It took a few iterations of selecting usable images and several pieces that I want to use are off limits, but the project is good to go.

Quote from: nataz
I'd propose a list if you are interested.

I don't know if I would be able to include it in this project, but I would be very interested in seeing what you think should go into a Cube Token list.

www.originalmagicart.com
diophan
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 12:47:50 am »

Here's my first stab at a cube list:

Basic 48:
1 lifelink wurm
1 deathtouch wurm
1 germ
3 goblins
2 cat soldiers
6 soldiers
2 pack rat
3 robots
4 flying spirit
4 squirrel
3 zombies
2 faerie rogues
3 3/3 beast
1 */* elemental
4 plants
4 monks
4 1/1 elementals
1 2/2 wolf

extras:
2 faerie rogues
3 flying spirit
4 zombies
3 goblins
4-6 soldiers
1 2/2 wolf
2 2/2 vampires
X 4/4 angels
2 3/3 beast
1 */* elemental
1 cat soldier
X 1/0 elemental
1 morph
2 pack rat
2 plant
1 storm
1 */* avatar

Tokens that you don't have yet:
3 3/3 elephants
2 1/1 lifelink vampires
X illusion tokens
1-2 1/1 deathtouch wolf
kraken?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 12:49:20 pm by diophan » Logged
youhavenogame
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 08:45:10 am »

Appreciate that idea and some of the art is very fitting and flavorful. Only thing I would change would be Mr Lage to Marit Lage - also I think Marit is female Razz
KrauserKrauser
Adepts
Basic User

DAT ART!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 10:17:41 pm »

I changed it to Ms. Lage to be a bit more fitting.  I can't use any proper names from the game unless I want to risk infringing copyright.

www.originalmagicart.com
KrauserKrauser
Adepts
Basic User

DAT ART!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 08:22:42 pm »

The Classic Art Token Kickstarter is well under way.

100% funded in under 3 hours
200% funded under 6
300% funded in 9
On track to hit 400% funding in under 12 hours.

Outstanding is not a good enough word to describe my current reaction.

www.classicarttokens.com

5 Stretch Goals have already been hit and we are just about to hit #6 and unlock two more Playmat designs.

Will we hit all of my initial Stretch Goals in the first 24 hours?  It certainly looks possible. (Don't worry, I have many more planned)

www.originalmagicart.com
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 09:12:05 pm »

The Classic Art Token Kickstarter is well under way.

100% funded in under 3 hours
200% funded under 6
300% funded in 9
On track to hit 400% funding in under 12 hours.

Outstanding is not a good enough word to describe my current reaction.

www.classicarttokens.com

5 Stretch Goals have already been hit and we are just about to hit #6 and unlock two more Playmat designs.

Will we hit all of my initial Stretch Goals in the first 24 hours?  It certainly looks possible. (Don't worry, I have many more planned)

Congrats on the whole thing, Josh.  This turned out beautifully.  I look forward to getting my Vintage tokens!

"Iíll break my staff,
Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,
And deeper than did ever plummet sound
Iíll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero's Art Collection
thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 04:28:38 pm »

I hope that WotC sees the popularity of this KS and tones down the OMG VIDEO GAME BOX art

Instead of tearing things down we should calmly explain our opinions.
KrauserKrauser
Adepts
Basic User

DAT ART!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 09:31:00 pm »

The Kickstarter hit a big milestone today, breaking above $50,000 inside the first week since launch.

I am in talks with Cascade to secure a (small) booth at the event and look forward to meeting anyone that can make it out there for the show.  I'll be selling mats and tokens and likely try and run/sponsor a few special events as well.

www.classicarttokens.com

I am so excited to be here already and I hope we can get to the next set of Stretch Goals soon.  I have even more great things lined up and it will be amazing once we get there.

www.originalmagicart.com
KrauserKrauser
Adepts
Basic User

DAT ART!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 09:36:54 pm »

It looks like we are on track to hit the Stretch Goal that will grow the Token Collections from 54 cards to 72.

I'm looking for input on what to add to the Vintage collection.  Here is the current list for reference:

Let me know what you think we should add

www.originalmagicart.com
H
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 07:53:14 am »

If anyone was on the fence about this, there is about 83 minutes left to back this.

"The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
óKaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order
KrauserKrauser
Adepts
Basic User

DAT ART!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 07:58:22 am »

Thanks for the bump H.

The Vintage Collection is now up to 72 tokens and chock full of Monks, Elementals and Zombies

www.originalmagicart.com
KrauserKrauser
Adepts
Basic User

DAT ART!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 11:51:20 am »

1,848 Backers and $108,858 in funding.  Outstanding!  Thanks to everyone for the support and feedback!

www.originalmagicart.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: